ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Old 26th August 2017, 02:05 PM   #2761
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
At this point, this thing has to be just the same core of people visiting with each other and catching up since the last meet-up, no?
That's so what it is. What else could they possibly extract from what now amounts to "the hoax of the century" for these MENSA candidates? Another Don "Whatsa Humanitarian" Meldrum led revival for Bob "Whatta Humanitarian" Gimlin? Who I must remind you is the only Bigfoot witness who counts even to other Bigfooters. The tens of thousands of other peoples' Bigfoot stories are no match for his gun-ship arsenal of 16mm <gulp> film. A film so controversial and so diabolical that seasonal Party City™ worker Bill "Wannabe Humanitarian" Munns claims it's authentic while expressly disclaiming any knowledge of what makes that so.

Last edited by HarryHenderson; 26th August 2017 at 02:07 PM.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 08:29 AM   #2762
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

A new self-published "paper" by Meldrum released on Patty Anniversary Day.

On the Plausibility of Another Bipedal Primate Species Existing in North America

Originally Posted by Jeff Meldrum
In my home state of Idaho, I would infer a potential population of sasquatch numbering about 150. Compare this to the 20,000 resident black bear in the state, with an average life span of 10 years. How often are skeletal remains of black bear that have died a natural death discovered? Such remains are almost never found. The odds of finding sasquatch remains could be at least 600 times less, all else being equal.
Old 24th October 2017, 09:27 AM   #2763
Drewbot
Philosopher

Look at his bio at the end of the article, I could have sworn he used to list ISU in his bio. They are not in there at all.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 09:38 AM   #2764
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
A new self-published "paper" by Meldrum released on Patty Anniversary Day.

On the Plausibility of Another Bipedal Primate Species Existing in North America
By what metric did he pull from his ass infer a population of 150 Idaho footies?

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 24th October 2017 at 09:40 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 09:39 AM   #2765
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Look at his bio at the end of the article, I could have sworn he used to list ISU in his bio. They are not in there at all.
Here.

https://beta.capeia.com/author/jmeldrum
Old 24th October 2017, 09:40 AM   #2766
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
By what metric did he pull from his ass infer an Idaho population of 150 footies?
I would call it the Goldilocks population.
Old 24th October 2017, 11:51 AM   #2767
Drewbot
Philosopher

I'd call it the Pinnochio Population Estimation System.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 12:32 PM   #2768
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Is a population of 150 even viable in an area the size of Idaho?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 12:58 PM   #2769
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Idaho is bordered by 6 other states and a Canadian province. Those have Bigfoots too and all of them can travel. It's a regional, viable breeding population.

Goldilocks population. Not too many and not too few. It's juuuust right.
Old 24th October 2017, 01:14 PM   #2770
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

The Shrike and others might disagree, but IMO "science" as a public relations matter absolutely loses when it regularly allows credentialed-but-rogue-and-not-in-the-good-way scientists like Meldrum to spew not just un-evidenced but literally made up out of thin air "facts" such as there's 150 Bigfoot in Idaho. He's got not a single piece of evidence there's even one Bigfoot anywhere yet is totally at ease claiming there's 150 in Idaho alone. He didn't use any science to arrive at that, he simply made it up and said it as a scientist. If he also claimed to talk to Elvis on Saturday nights would that also be accepted? Now I'm just talkin' crazy?!
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 01:50 PM   #2771
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Just to extend the conversation (no real contemplation intended), I was up there earlier this summer and central Idaho might in fact be the perfect location for a wandering band of Parcher's Bigfoot. Of course it's not, but it could be. Many don't realize that the mountainous interior of the state is virtually all primitive area. Dirt forest service roads almost entirely. Except for various logging ops (and during hunting season) there's really nobody there. Paved roads can be 50 miles apart. It's argued the center of Idaho (somewhere in the Frank Church Wilderness) is the most remote spot in the continental US. Remote defined as essentially the furthest off (as the crow flies) a paved road. I'm heir to 2+ acres in the thick of it and it's 40+ miles on a dirt road to get to it. Though I've never seen any Bigfoot there.

Last edited by HarryHenderson; 24th October 2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 24th October 2017, 01:57 PM   #2772
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
a wandering band of Parcher's Bigfoot.
My Bigfoots don't need to wander in order to reproduce. They have evolved. Wind-blown spermatozoa.
Old 24th October 2017, 02:47 PM   #2773
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Just to extend the conversation (no real contemplation intended), I was up there earlier this summer and central Idaho might in fact be the perfect location for a wandering band of Parcher's Bigfoot. Of course it's not, but it could be. Many don't realize that the mountainous interior of the state is virtually all primitive area. Dirt forest service roads almost entirely. Except for various logging ops (and during hunting season) there's really nobody there. Paved roads can be 50 miles apart. It's argued the center of Idaho (somewhere in the Frank Church Wilderness) is the most remote spot in the continental US. Remote defined as essentially the furthest off (as the crow flies) a paved road. I'm heir to 2+ acres in the thick of it and it's 40+ miles on a dirt road to get to it. Though I've never seen any Bigfoot there.
I remember busting my ass a number of years back, humping down a canyon to some damn fork of the Snake or the other to get at the rainbow trout. We stopped to read a sign informing us we were in a primitive area complete with its own little population of griz. We slapped each other on the back, congratulating one another on our shrewdness in dicking out this remote spot and our man-oh-manliness in reaching it. Right up to the point when we realized we were there, as was the guy who put up the sign, and the other anglers who also sniffed out this hard-to-get-to hot-spot.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 07:52 PM   #2774
The Shrike
Illuminator

What fresh hell is this?

Meldrum has belched out yet another self-plagiarized pile of rotten chestnuts that have been debunked nine ways to Sunday. This time, he's got a whole new platform of people to victimize on this Capeia thing. He gets a psuedopublication that, at best, has been peer-edited but still has not been peer-reviewed. He gets people able to respond directly to him for his brilliance and mettle as the scientific iconoclast. And he gets the other great benefit of submitting an article to Capeia - he's eligible for crowd-funding support if readers respond with enough likes or something!

Again, this is a tenured, full professor at a US Land Grant university using his expertise as a guise to lend legitimacy to pseudoscience to extract money from a well-meaning but scientifically illiterate public. How this is not fraudulent* on his part and, at the very least a breach of academic integrity policy at ISU, I'm at a loss to say.

*See especially the Walla Walla casts in Figure 7.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 09:12 PM   #2775
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

What fresh hell is this?...
Kick his ass SeaBass. I'm glad you posted a comment over there. I await a response from...anyone. It won't happen but if you can somehow get into say a war of words with Meldrum on that site, me and probably a few others would pay good money to watch it.

"I'm sorry but Dr. Meldrum presents arguments in this article that he has espoused for years but that the evidence does not support. For just one glaring example, a foot need not be flexible to leave a mid-tarsal pressure ridge in a soft substrate like sand. (Try it yourself - it's easy!) By tossing around enough anatomical lingo (and Meldrum is indeed skilled and knowledgeable in human anatomy and physical anthropology), he lends his credentials to assertions that he knows are inconsistent with the evidence and incapable of support from legitimate peer review in a scientific journal. This is textbook pseudoscience."
Old 28th October 2017, 07:27 AM   #2776
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Meldrum is now responding to comments about his article. He promotes his Relict Hominoid Inquiry website as peer-reviewed and also gives thumbs-up to Munns and his book When Roger Met Patty. Meldrum challenges "The Shrike" to provide a scientifically-based refutation of his mid-tarsal break evidence.

https://beta.capeia.com/zoology/2017...-north-america
Old 28th October 2017, 09:06 AM   #2777
The Shrike
Illuminator

Meldrum challenges "The Shrike" to provide a scientifically-based refutation of his mid-tarsal break evidence.
All right, where's that link to Tube's site?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 09:39 AM   #2778
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

All right, where's that link to Tube's site?
It's here.

But he has already anticipated that when he says...

Originally Posted by Jeff Meldrum
Shrike should demonstrate an example of a human foot leaving a midtarsal break. I know what he/she mistakes as equivalent -- a pressure ridge or more likely a disc originating proximal to the ball of the foot, not the midfoot. Apples to oranges.
He would point out that Matt "Tube" Crowley's foam foot creates a pressure ridge/disc and is not the same as what is formed by a midtarsal break/hinge.

I'll add an attachment of what a human foot can produce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTB Beach.jpg (53.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 28th October 2017, 09:56 AM   #2779
The Shrike
Illuminator

Thanks. Yeah, I found it pretty quickly.

Yes, Meldrum is a well-greased pig and he's adept at special pleading those goalposts all over the field of play. I'll not take it much further, and for no other reason than that I don't want to drive a lot of traffic to a site promoting pseudoscience.
Old 28th October 2017, 10:03 AM   #2780
The Shrike
Illuminator

These look like more dramatic mid-tarsal pressure ridges than I've seen in any bigfoot cast!
Old 28th October 2017, 10:14 AM   #2781
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

These look like more dramatic mid-tarsal pressure ridges than I've seen in any bigfoot cast!
The depth suggests an 800 pound bipedal hominoid.
Old 28th October 2017, 05:06 PM   #2782
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Thanks. Yeah, I found it pretty quickly.

Yes, Meldrum is a well-greased pig and he's adept at special pleading those goalposts all over the field of play. I'll not take it much further, and for no other reason than that I don't want to drive a lot of traffic to a site promoting pseudoscience.
Play much sports? One of the single biggest and best "opportunities" (and desires) you have when playing competitive sports is to be given the chance to take on the leader-of-the-pack (reigning champion, whatever), with the potential of genuinely beating them right there on the playing field. And when duly given such an opportunity you ABSO*******LUTELY GO FOR IT! You don't hem-haw around and complain about stubbing your toe in bed last night, you embrace it and take it on like your life depended on it! So here's your chance to win one for "the reality". Forget about a few misdirected internet idiots, go kick his ass and maybe he'll get rid of the entire ******* website. Then there will be no need to worry about who'll be going anywhere.
Old 28th October 2017, 09:10 PM   #2783
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Any beach is a great place to see Meldrum's mtb in action.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 07:11 AM   #2784
The Shrike
Illuminator

Play much sports?
Thank you, Coach Rockne.

My daughter and I were actually watching the Bryan Sykes documentary with Smeja's Sierra Steak last night on Nat Geo. She's quite proud of me for having earned the badge of a specific call out by Don Jeffrey*, and she wants me to appear on one of these stupid shows as the curmudgeonly skeptic who gets to say that all of these people are idiots.

If you read the comments in that thread though you'll see classic Meldrum Gish-gallop on display. His response to the poster regarding lack of evidence for dispersal of Gigantopithecus through Beringia is, to us, special pleading to the nth degree. But we're not the point. Meldrum knows that his role is not to change the minds of people who recognize that he's full of it, his job is to capture new rubes in his web of deceit. That's what will keep him on television. He does that in his response: It's long and dense and full of big words. Nevermind to that to us it's Swiss cheese made of a sponge that's been hit with 12-gauge shot. It will impress the . . .
  • young
  • impressionable
  • conspiracy-prone
  • anti-science
  • motivated reasoning

general public, and those folks would quickly tire of someone presenting actual rebuttals to each of his points.

The whole reason we have a plethora of anti-science woo-nonsense in our world these days is that the idea that some voice in the wilderness has special knowledge that the so-called experts are too arrogant to consider, but that you can have for $19.99 (plus s&h), is immensely popular. Meldrum is Duane Gish, Dr. Oz, Gwyneth Paltrow, John Edward, Joel Osteen, Food Babe, etc.: He's selling something that people want to buy. We're not.

Meldrum cannot be defeated because he's not playing by the same rules. We assume that the team that scores the most points wins. In his world, it's not the scoreboard that matters, it's the throngs in the stands who will ignore the scoreboard and decide the winner for themselves.

*But I'll never live up to little "Willie Parcher"!
Old 29th October 2017, 07:19 PM   #2785
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

All I know is that all of this Bigfoot stuff can kiss my ass. I mean kiss me right on my ass. I'm talking about the footprint casts too. I want to see a piece of poured plaster kissing my ass. Even the little DNA chromosomes can kiss my ass. I'd like to see that too.
Old 30th October 2017, 09:34 AM   #2786
gigmaster
Scholar

There is no 'game' to it. It's called 'Science'. If you make a claim, you have to be able to back it up with hard physical evidence....not stories, not blurred pictures, not eyewitness accounts, but actual evidence that can be examined and evaluated. And, the more extraordinary the claim, the more extraordinary the evidence has to be. That's how science (and most any investigations) work.

Originally Posted by captain koolaid View Post
"...that is an old skeptic game, to ask for evidence." (N.Burghstahler- confidant of Prof. S.Hawking)
gigmaster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 09:36 AM   #2787
gigmaster
Scholar

You seem to have a fixation with turning the other cheek. Are you a Rear Admiral, or just making this the butt of your jokes?????

Quote:
All I know is that all of this Bigfoot stuff can kiss my ass. I mean kiss me right on my ass. I'm talking about the footprint casts too. I want to see a piece of poured plaster kissing my ass. Even the little DNA chromosomes can kiss my ass. I'd like to see that too.

Last edited by gigmaster; 30th October 2017 at 09:40 AM.
gigmaster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 09:56 AM   #2788
gigmaster
Scholar

The 'Wilderness" perception is just an illusion in the U.S. There is no more real 'Wilderness anywhere in the US, and only a few places in Canada that can be actually classified as a real "Wilderness".

The area in question actually has 100s of miles of Forest Service Roads criss-crossing it, for access by Law Enforcement, Rescue and Forest Service personnel (but they are closed to the general public). The area is regularly visted by thousands of hikers, campers, hunters, anglers, bird-watchers, and other outdoor enthusiasts each year. In addidition, it is also regualy visited by loggers, surveyors, biologists, and other professionals. The area is overflown dozens of times per day by helicopters, private planes, airliners, military planes, and satillites. The 'remoteness', is only an illusion.

As to the reasoning that no one ever finds bear carcasses, this is pure nonsense. I live in the Cherokee National Forest, which is just as remote as places in Idaho, and I have seen proabably 10 or 12 bear carcasses over the last 20 years. I could find lots more remains if I actually were looking for them.

Bigfoot is nothing more than a myth, right up there with dragons, shapeshifters, and aliens from space.....

Old 30th October 2017, 10:23 AM   #2789
Pterodactyl
Muse

Wilderness in the lower 48 is illusory in the technical sense just described, right up until the point you are lost or injured and need a way out but can't find it.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 10:59 AM   #2790
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Thank you, Coach Rockne.

My daughter and I were actually watching the Bryan Sykes documentary with Smeja's Sierra Steak last night on Nat Geo. She's quite proud of me for having earned the badge of a specific call out by Don Jeffrey*, and she wants me to appear on one of these stupid shows as the curmudgeonly skeptic who gets to say that all of these people are idiots.

If you read the comments in that thread though you'll see classic Meldrum Gish-gallop on display. His response to the poster regarding lack of evidence for dispersal of Gigantopithecus through Beringia is, to us, special pleading to the nth degree. But we're not the point. Meldrum knows that his role is not to change the minds of people who recognize that he's full of it, his job is to capture new rubes in his web of deceit. That's what will keep him on television. He does that in his response: It's long and dense and full of big words. Nevermind to that to us it's Swiss cheese made of a sponge that's been hit with 12-gauge shot. It will impress the . . .
  • young
  • impressionable
  • conspiracy-prone
  • anti-science
  • motivated reasoning

general public, and those folks would quickly tire of someone presenting actual rebuttals to each of his points.

The whole reason we have a plethora of anti-science woo-nonsense in our world these days is that the idea that some voice in the wilderness has special knowledge that the so-called experts are too arrogant to consider, but that you can have for $19.99 (plus s&h), is immensely popular. Meldrum is Duane Gish, Dr. Oz, Gwyneth Paltrow, John Edward, Joel Osteen, Food Babe, etc.: He's selling something that people want to buy. We're not.

Meldrum cannot be defeated because he's not playing by the same rules. We assume that the team that scores the most points wins. In his world, it's not the scoreboard that matters, it's the throngs in the stands who will ignore the scoreboard and decide the winner for themselves.

*But I'll never live up to little "Willie Parcher"!
Okay that's fair enough and true enough, but the fact remains this lump needs to go the **** away. And simply, who better than you to fight the fight, especially when it comes to the nitty gritty "science" of it all?! Now, I wasn't necessarily proposing you steadfastly "play by the rules", as I surely wouldn't in the same position and precisely because Meldrum wouldn't be either. And of course as the true scumbag that he is, he would be the first one to point out that you aren't following them. I just think an effort needs to be made by "reasonable men" to bring this mutha ****** down by whatever means necessary.
Old 30th October 2017, 12:33 PM   #2791
CORed
Philosopher

I have seen some sources citing Bridger Lake, in the Teton Wildereness of Wyoming (near Yellowstone) as the farthest point from a road in the 48 contiguous states, though I know central Idaho also has a very large roadless area. I'm not sure which is really the most remote location, but I like Bridger Lake, because I've actually been there (backpacked it, no horses involved) /shameless brag.

ETA: I didn't see any bigfeets there, nor grizzly bears (this was in the early '70's, I don't think grizzlies were as plentiful then as they are now).

Last edited by CORed; 30th October 2017 at 12:36 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 03:16 PM   #2792
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Here's a savvy Nobel Prize winner briefly explaining the underlying concept that insures a guy like Meldrum's success. And it reinforces The Shrike's repeated notion that in the world of "science" nobody gives a **** what Meldrum's doing. Though, how would you like to be "the guy" who instead of using his gift of science for the causes of good chooses evil and then becomes known as "the guy" who invented illogically placed joints in the imaginary feet of imaginary animals?

<Professor Meldrum meets Professor Generic at a "scientific" speed dating party>
"What did you do?"
"Oh I split the atom."
"What did you do?"
"Oh I invented folklore anatomy. Yep me, Dr. Don Meldrum. Well, not all of it, just some of it...uhh, one joint. hehe I mean in bones of a foot, not that other kind haha. Yeah the damn monster seemed like it needed an injection of good ole fashioned <airquotes>science<airquotes> and that's what I came up with. Clever huh?"
"Did I mention I split the atom?"
Old 31st October 2017, 05:53 AM   #2793
Drewbot
Philosopher

Engage, engage.
Old 31st October 2017, 06:22 AM   #2794
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Okay that's fair enough and true enough, but the fact remains this lump needs to go the **** away. And simply, who better than you to fight the fight, especially when it comes to the nitty gritty "science" of it all?! Now, I wasn't necessarily proposing you steadfastly "play by the rules", as I surely wouldn't in the same position and precisely because Meldrum wouldn't be either. And of course as the true scumbag that he is, he would be the first one to point out that you aren't following them. I just think an effort needs to be made by "reasonable men" to bring this mutha ****** down by whatever means necessary.
But you know full well that the world of bigfootery includes some serious nutcases who would make it their entire life's work to hassle The Shrike, and, yes, his family, if he were to do as you suggest. Others in the past have contacted employers with the aim of getting a sceptic fired from their job simply for posting on a forum. Given that as a starting point, I can well understand why anyone would think twice before appearing in public to denounce these fools.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 07:28 PM   #2795
The Shrike
Illuminator

Indeed, Meldrum is watching that thread and has issued a reply dripping with arrogance and laden with ad homs. Evidently, he's only a pleasant fellow to sycophants and purchasers of his replicas of hoaxed print casts. You wrestle with pigs you end up in the sty.
Old 1st November 2017, 05:08 AM   #2796
Drewbot
Philosopher

Fortunately, Dr. Ron Pine has been working on a response to Dr. Meldrum.

It involves Dr. Meldrum not following proper naming procedures when choosing Anthropoidipes ameriborealis as his Bigfoot name.

Here is the quote of his basic rebuttal:

Quote:
"What I was saying was tow things. One was that only the track itself in the case of ichnofossils can service as a holotype. These are usually impressed in solid rock and the portions of the rock containing them are cut out or broken off and then deposited in a museum. A plaster cast of such a track cannot be designated as a holotype. I think that this may have always been the case. Another, separate matter is that, since 1930, tracks and other impressions (trace fossils) of creatures living (or supposedly living) today cannot be holotypes and that such impressions, including tracks, must be fossils in order for names given for them to have any validity in zoological nomenclature. The ultimate arbiter in such matters is the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature itself-- Not some cryptozoologist's impressions of things or the imperfect knowledge of editors, reviewers, various colleagues, and attendees at conferences."
Then:

Quote:
"In the Glossary of the Code, last page, third definition up from the bottom, tracks are included within the definition of 'work of an animal', that is, "The result of the activity of an animal...". At the very beginning (first page) and most basic part of the Code (Article 1.2.1), under "Scope" of names dealt with by the Code, we see that only fossil "moulds and casts", produced by nature (not artificial ones), have status as far as the Code is concerned, and that the "work" (including tracks) of "extant animals" (meaning presently-existing kinds of animals), has status only if it was published on or before 1931."
Dr. Pine also recently co-authored a paper titled "What is an 'extant' type specimen"
https://www.researchgate.net/profile...rved-types.pdf

Last edited by Drewbot; 1st November 2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 1st November 2017, 05:42 AM   #2797
Drewbot
Philosopher

And then I posted this in the comments of the article:

Quote:
Drewbot
1. Nov 2017
Quote:
Dr. Meldrum said: "The classification was published in the peer-reviewed proceedings of an international symposium on Cenozoic tracks and traces. The abstract was invited and reviewed by the organizing committee. It was subsequently presented in a conference room populated by several dozen experts on footprints and ichnology. Furthermore, the manuscript benefited through numerous discussions with expert colleagues in ichnology, and ultimately went out for anonymous review to five reviewers, plus the editor of the Bulletin. I don’t know where Dr. Pine is coming from, but none of these experts in this specific field felt it inappropriate to classify non-fossilized footprints in this instance. "
Dr. Meldrum, regarding the Anthropoides ameriborealis name, it really doesn't matter who was at the symposium, if your reviewers and or editors don't know the rules of the ICZN regarding the classification of the work of extant animals. The arbiter on this would be the ICZN

1.3. Exclusions. Excluded from the provisions of the Code are names proposed

1.3.6. after 1930, for the work of extant animals;

In other words, the ICZN does not recognize footprints (work) of any extant creature as a basis for zoological naming.
Old 1st November 2017, 08:44 AM   #2798
Drewbot
Philosopher

And just in case you were wondering what the ICZN means by 'Work', here is the definition from the Glossary of the ICZN.

Quote:
work of an animal, n.
The result of the activity of an animal (e.g. burrows, borings, galls, nests, worm tubes, cocoons, tracks), but not part of the animal. The term applies to trace fossils (see ichnotaxon, under taxon) but does not apply to such fossil evidence as internal moulds, external impressions, and replacements. For availability of names based upon the work of animals see Articles 1.2.1, 1.3.6, 10.3, 12.2.8.
Old 1st November 2017, 09:03 AM   #2799
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Fortunately, Dr. Ron Pine has been working on a response to Dr. Meldrum.

It involves Dr. Meldrum not following proper naming procedures when choosing Anthropoidipes ameriborealis as his Bigfoot name.

But he's not naming the Bigfoot creature - he's naming the plaster casts...

Originally Posted by Jeff Meldrum in 2007
Point of clarification Anthropoidipes ameriborealis is NOT a proposed name for sasquatch. It is a published name for tracks/footprints that have been attributed to Sasquatch. Ichnotaxonomy is a linnaean system for naming tracks and traces separate and distinct from the taxonomy of the organisms themselves. It can be applied even if the trackmaker has not been identified, hence its utility in this situation. The paper does not validate the existence of Sasquatch, but recognizes the existence of large unidentified tracks and puts a handle on them. This should also increase discussion of the footprint data.

http://cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/bf-newname
Old 1st November 2017, 09:15 AM   #2800
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

But he's not naming the Bigfoot creature - he's naming the plaster casts...

http://cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/bf-newname
Goody, let's all have a go.

Amercanus Gullibilus.

Fakey Fakensteinus

Dumboid Dufusus Footerus

Tom McGuane

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal