ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th August 2017, 09:53 AM   #1
Mackenberg
Thinker

Now trending: Russian "How to make a homunculus" videos

My son alerted me to these videos, which purport to show a method for creating an artificial lifeform by injecting a chicken's egg with human semen. After incubation, the eggs are cracked open and seemingly disgorge various bizarre creatures. The videos have been on YouTube since 2015 but are now undergoing a bit of viral spread.

Taking the obvious biological impossibilities as read, some of the "creatures" do exhibit realistic movements. Skeptics have created more-or-less convincing demo. videos of their own, using modeling clay and magnets to illustrate how the illusion might be performed.

The clay and magnet explanation is, however, less convincing in debunking some of the more elaborate "creatures". I strongly suspect that the creator of the original videos has been experimenting with organic props and puppets; basically - as my son pointed out - reinventing the Feejee Mermaid for the YouTube generation. A section of beef tongue makes a plausibly organic slug-like "body", especially when animated by concealed magnets; glue on some live, writhing maggots (yes, this is as revolting as it sounds) and the illusion is complete.

Copycat videos have also appeared, some featuring complete living animals such as shrimp emerging from the egg shells.

It's all very distasteful, but also an interesting example of hoaxer ingenuity.
Mackenberg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2017, 10:49 AM   #2
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mackenberg View Post
My son alerted me to these videos, which purport to show a method for creating an artificial lifeform by injecting a chicken's egg with human semen. After incubation, the eggs are cracked open and seemingly disgorge various bizarre creatures. The videos have been on YouTube since 2015 but are now undergoing a bit of viral spread.

Taking the obvious biological impossibilities as read, some of the "creatures" do exhibit realistic movements. Skeptics have created more-or-less convincing demo. videos of their own, using modeling clay and magnets to illustrate how the illusion might be performed.

The clay and magnet explanation is, however, less convincing in debunking some of the more elaborate "creatures". I strongly suspect that the creator of the original videos has been experimenting with organic props and puppets; basically - as my son pointed out - reinventing the Feejee Mermaid for the YouTube generation. A section of beef tongue makes a plausibly organic slug-like "body", especially when animated by concealed magnets; glue on some live, writhing maggots (yes, this is as revolting as it sounds) and the illusion is complete.

Copycat videos have also appeared, some featuring complete living animals such as shrimp emerging from the egg shells.

It's all very distasteful, but also an interesting example of hoaxer ingenuity.
I got shown this while running a program in schools for 11 to 13 year old boys.

What kind of took me back was how much they believed it, and that the reason was that they were so popular they had to be real.

As a trend it kind of scares me. The Internet should be a great tool for debunking this garbage but the rise of Internet culture is promoting it.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2017, 10:53 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

In before the inevitable Trump jokes!!!

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2017, 11:17 AM   #4
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

The important question is, how do they taste?

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2017, 11:39 AM   #5
Mackenberg
Thinker

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I got shown this while running a program in schools for 11 to 13 year old boys.

What kind of took me back was how much they believed it, and that the reason was that they were so popular they had to be real.

As a trend it kind of scares me. The Internet should be a great tool for debunking this garbage but the rise of Internet culture is promoting it.
My son also works with kids in that age range and it bothers him for the same reasons. To be fair, there are also quite a few debunking videos out there, but of course they don't attract nearly the same attention.
Mackenberg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 10:21 AM   #6
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
The important question is, how do they taste?
They taste just like chicken.

DEATH ALWAYS RIDES SHOTGUN
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:42 AM   #7
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The internet is a great tool for debunking this garbage.

My son alerted me to these videos, which purport to show a method for creating an artificial lifeform by injecting a chicken's egg with human semen.
I guess a "which came first" pun would be inappropriate for this thread?

That's possible, and it wouldn't necessarily be unheard of for people to go to some thoroughly disgusting lengths for a neat effect I guess; but in 2017 it's not even necessary. Take the following video for instance - part of a vastly larger sci-fi project that's worth having a look at in its own right, but that's a digression I suppose - here you'll see an effect that required no "real" grossness at all to produce an effect not at all dissimilar from the kinds of things you see in these "homunculus" videos:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 12:19 PM   #8
sadhatter
Philosopher

My son also works with kids in that age range and it bothers him for the same reasons. To be fair, there are also quite a few debunking videos out there, but of course they don't attract nearly the same attention.
Yeah I tried that, but there was this odd vibe of "this is boring so if you believe it you are not cool". It seriously felt like I was talking to aliens. "Who the hell watches this ****" was a direct quote in regards to debunking videos.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2017, 02:59 PM   #9
Mackenberg
Thinker

The modular body footage is fascinating but the "homunculus" video I was thinking of pretty clearly was just a hunk of beef tongue with some maggots glued to it, puppeteered via magnets. That said, I'd be willing to bet that the purveyors of homunculus videos would love to get their hands on some modular body tech.
Old 16th September 2017, 03:02 PM   #10
Mackenberg
Thinker

Yeah I tried that, but there was this odd vibe of "this is boring so if you believe it you are not cool". It seriously felt like I was talking to aliens. "Who the hell watches this ****" was a direct quote in regards to debunking videos.
Yep - that's why I keep saying that skeptics need to up their pizzazz game and make debunking interesting/gross/cool/etc. enough to keep pace with the hokum.
Old 16th September 2017, 09:36 PM   #11
TheSapient
Critical Thinker

The modular body footage is fascinating but the "homunculus" video I was thinking of pretty clearly was just a hunk of beef tongue with some maggots glued to it, puppeteered via magnets. That said, I'd be willing to bet that the purveyors of homunculus videos would love to get their hands on some modular body tech.
To be clear, the Modular Body footage is CGI that is part of a science fiction story.
TheSapient is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2017, 01:00 AM   #12
Mackenberg
Thinker

That was clear, but thanks.
Old 6th November 2017, 07:48 AM   #13
JM85
Critical Thinker

Homunculus

Hello. I don't post here very often, but have come across several youtube videos of people injecting human sperm into eggs. The result is usually a "creature" that seems to be alive. There was another video of somebody doing this, and the result was an actual chicken hatching out of one of the eggs. This video seemed more legitimate and he actually had an egg incubator, but it was probably also a hoax. I just can't find many people debunking these videos, or the experiments being replicated with no results. I could not find anything here on the forum either about this subject.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody here had further information. Thanks!

(corrected the spelling of title)

Last edited by JM85; 6th November 2017 at 08:08 AM.
JM85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:51 AM   #14
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Personally, if I want people to debunk videos I would link to said videos. That could just be me, though.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:53 AM   #15
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

That could never, ever work.

An egg is already fertilized by the time it is hatched, or past the time where fertilization is possible.. Even injecting it with Rooster sperm wouldn't do anything, let alone from a completely different animal.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:53 AM   #16
JM85
Critical Thinker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNLPXzlz6-I

This seems to be a more popular one. I wasn't sure if linking youtube videos was against some sort of rule.
JM85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 08:00 AM   #17
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

There was a brief thread discussing this back in August and September.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 08:02 AM   #18
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by JM85 View Post
Here's some information: it's spelled "homunculus".

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 08:04 AM   #19
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

If I were you, i'd stick to the traditional method:

https://www.stufftoblowyourmind.com/...er-horrors.htm
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 08:15 AM   #20
Apathia
Illuminator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNLPXzlz6-I

This seems to be a more popular one. I wasn't sure if linking youtube videos was against some sort of rule.
Link as many as you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBQdAsDtTio

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 09:22 AM   #21
JM85
Critical Thinker

Yes, I actually came across this video, and thank you for posting it. I was looking for an actual scientific experiment done by somebody to actually replicate the results to see if this had any legitimacy at all. The video's by the Russian man are pretty ridiculous, and were probably made with clay and magnets, yes.

This one is harder for me to understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LskwRc0f2g

(By the way, I realize now that this topic was sloppily created. Sorry about that! I was looking for a topic here that was more of a back and fourth debate from people more knowledgeable than me, but couldn't find one.)
Old 6th November 2017, 09:27 AM   #22
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

........ I was looking for an actual scientific experiment done by somebody to actually replicate the results to see if this had any legitimacy at all......
Nobody would do such a stupid and pointless experiment. We know it can't work. Once an egg has been fertilised, it has been fertilised. End of story.

Besides, you are falling for the classic "prove a negative" thing. The onus is on those clowns pushing this crap to demonstrate that all of biology for the last 300 years is wrong, and that they are right........not the other way around.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 09:48 AM   #23
JM85
Critical Thinker

I should clarify that the video above is supposedly an unfertilized egg. Also I never argued that the onus shouldn't lie with the person making the claim, but I'm looking for an unbiased experiment where the results won't be manipulated. Unless the person making the claim is under the right conditions (like with the million dollar challenge) then I'm suspect of the results.
Old 6th November 2017, 09:53 AM   #24
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

If chicken-human hybrids were so easy to do, we'd have 5000 year old literature of these as pets or slaves or something. In other words, it would be news as old as the pyramids, and then some.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 10:19 AM   #25
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty sure that by the time an unfertilized egg is laid the period when it could be fertilized is long past. You'd have more success by artificially inseminating a hen with human sperm. Oh, wait -- you wouldn't!
Old 6th November 2017, 10:19 AM   #26
Tolls
Illuminator

I should clarify that the video above is supposedly an unfertilized egg.
And?
You can't fertilise an egg once it's started to form.
Definitely not once it's been laid.

ETA: Ninja'd!!
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 10:43 AM   #27
JM85
Critical Thinker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/animals/...mbryos_1.shtml

Then how was this possible?
Old 6th November 2017, 10:52 AM   #28
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

That's done with DNA editing through vectors - similar to GMO crops.
In science, Xenopus frog eggs are a favorite for such manipulations because they are big and see-through. Much better than chicken.

These are Huma hybrids only in the sense that they have some human genes, usually associated with diseases scientists want to study - quicker, easier and ethically less problematic.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 6th November 2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 6th November 2017, 12:37 PM   #29
JM85
Critical Thinker

I have to admit that I'm not sure of whether it's just not possible, or if these scientists are choosing not to fertilize an egg (like people supposedly did in the youtube video) for ethical reasons.

But yes, after closer examination there seems to be a distinct difference with what they're doing in the article, and what the youtubers are claiming to do, which is inseminating a chicken egg with human semen. I'm curious to know if scientists could use this same technology to do the latter though.

Now what surprises me is this subject hasn't been discussed and debunked here! And there is very little about this on other skeptic websites. Any further information would be appreciated.
Old 6th November 2017, 12:42 PM   #30
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Now what surprises me is this subject hasn't been discussed and debunked here! And there is very little about this on other skeptic websites. Any further information would be appreciated.

because most people here can smell this kind of BS from miles away.
A hint is if some guy in a youtube video does it, but no one in the scientific community has published anything about this.
I have the greatest respect for people who spend their days debunking baitclick, but I couldn't stand the idea of seeing thousands of people believing such **** on a daily basis.
Old 6th November 2017, 01:47 PM   #31
TheGoldcountry
Illuminator

As though in the thousands of years of human breeding of animals, no one tried this. I find that hard to believe.
Old 6th November 2017, 02:30 PM   #32
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I have to admit that I'm not sure of whether it's just not possible, or if these scientists are choosing not to fertilize an egg (like people supposedly did in the youtube video) for ethical reasons.

But yes, after closer examination there seems to be a distinct difference with what they're doing in the article, and what the youtubers are claiming to do, which is inseminating a chicken egg with human semen. I'm curious to know if scientists could use this same technology to do the latter though.

There is nothing to debunk. You may as well claim a rhino can mate with a horse and produce unicorns. You've been told so often that this is completely and utterly impossible that your continued pursuance of "I'm not sure if it's possible" is starting to sound very much like trolling. It's *********** impossible FFS. Which bit of that are you struggling with?
Old 6th November 2017, 02:55 PM   #33
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Hello. I don't post here very often, but have come across several youtube videos of people injecting human sperm into eggs. The result is usually a "creature" that seems to be alive. There was another video of somebody doing this, and the result was an actual chicken hatching out of one of the eggs. This video seemed more legitimate and he actually had an egg incubator, but it was probably also a hoax. I just can't find many people debunking these videos, or the experiments being replicated with no results. I could not find anything here on the forum either about this subject.

(corrected the spelling of title)
The incompetent believe, the knowledgeable know the others are ignorant tools.. The videos have so many edits they do not need other tricks - and anyone knowing much science knows it cannot work and why it cannot work!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 03:49 PM   #34
JM85
Critical Thinker

[url="http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/26/health/human-pig-embryo/index.html"]

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
There is nothing to debunk. You may as well claim a rhino can mate with a horse and produce unicorns. You've been told so often that this is completely and utterly impossible that your continued pursuance of "I'm not sure if it's possible" is starting to sound very much like trolling. It's *********** impossible FFS. Which bit of that are you struggling with?

No, my intention wasn't to troll, or to bait anyone into an argument. I legit don't know if it's impossible to fertilize a chicken egg in a lab with human DNA, and create some sort of hybrid. I find the subject interesting, and heard they did something similar to a pig. I can't say it's impossible without an explanation as to why it isn't.

Last edited by JM85; 6th November 2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 6th November 2017, 04:01 PM   #35
TheGoldcountry
Illuminator

[url="http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/26/health/human-pig-embryo/index.html"]

No, my intention wasn't to troll, or to bait anyone into an argument. I legit don't know if it's impossible to fertilize a chicken egg in a lab with human DNA, and create some sort of hybrid. I find the subject interesting, and heard they did something similar to a pig. I can't say it's impossible without an explanation as to why it isn't.
If you sincerely don't understand, then go to a library and read about genetics and cross-breeding. It's not a new subject.
Old 6th November 2017, 04:02 PM   #36
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

I legit don't know if it's impossible to fertilize a chicken egg in a lab with human DNA,
A Chicken has 78 Chromosomes.
A Human has 48 Chromosomes.

In contrast
A horse has 64 Chromosomes
A donkey has 64 Chromosomes
The hybrid offspring, a mule has 63 Chromosomes and is missing one chromosome and is sterile.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 04:12 PM   #37
TheGoldcountry
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
A Chicken has 78 Chromosomes.
A Human has 48 Chromosomes.

In contrast
A horse has 64 Chromosomes
A donkey has 64 Chromosomes
The hybrid offspring, a mule has 63 Chromosomes and is missing one chromosome and is sterile.
I almost brought this up, but I think our OP would do themselves benefit with even a small amount of reading.

ETA;A human has 46, but I suspect you knew that and just typed too fast.

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 6th November 2017 at 04:16 PM.
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 04:22 PM   #38
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
You may as well claim a rhino can mate with a horse and produce unicorns.
Which is obviously ridiculous, since rhinos have two horns and would produce a bicorn.

Horses and narwhals might have possibilities, however.
Old 6th November 2017, 04:23 PM   #39
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
I almost brought this up, but I think our OP would do themselves benefit with even a small amount of reading.
We split with from apes roughly 7 million years ago. Apes have an extra pair of chromosomes. You can directly calculate which two ape chromosomes joined permanently at their ends, to make one human chromosome, to allow humans to diverge.

This threads claim, that a chicken's 78 chromosomes could split into 39 base pairs and reconstitute a living creature, with a humans 23 base pairs.....is just silly.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 04:40 PM   #40
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

And it's not just the number of chromosomes but how the genes are distributed on them. This is immensely different in chickens and humans. Even the sex determination genes/chromosomes are very different in birds and people: birds have Z and W sex chromosomes and males are the homogametic sex (ZZ) whereas the females are the heterogametic sex (ZW) unlike in humans where XX are females and XY are males. There are also many, many other incapabilities- I doubt that a human sperm could even bind to and penetrate a chicken ovum, let alone successfully induce cleavage. Not a chance it could allow for any sort of development.

JM85- here is just one discussion of how even closely related species often have strong barriers to cross-fertilization:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproductive_isolation
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal