ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Closed Thread
Old 11th September 2016, 12:26 PM   #3241
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
No, I don't think so, that was the weak part of your good post.
Which was the strong part of the post?
Old 11th September 2016, 12:41 PM   #3242
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
Which was the strong part of the post?
This (in my opinion):
I am hearing Michel H's thoughts. All of them.

As per usual, he has externally expressed thoughts and private thoughts.
The private thoughts, which to me are as clear as the externally expressed thoughts make it crystal clear that ...

Michel H, I can literally hear the ... in your mind.
(I have tried to extract the good part of your post). Of course, even so, your (modified by removal of some parts) post is not perfect, but I don't demand perfection from contributors in this thread (I am far from perfect myself).
I insist that I am probably telepathic in a global fashion, this is not a joke.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2016, 12:54 PM   #3243
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

This (in my opinion):

(I have tried to extract the good part of your post). Of course, even so, your (modified by removal of some parts) post is not perfect, but I don't demand perfection from contributors in this thread (I am far from perfect myself).
I know you're not joking but it has been shown to you in various way why you are incorrect.

I will make this very clear, I have never ever received any thoughts you have transmitted and neither has anyone in this thread.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2016, 01:03 PM   #3244
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
I know you're not joking but it has been shown to you in various way why you are incorrect.

I will make this very clear, I have never ever received any thoughts you have transmitted and neither has anyone in this thread.
"never ever" or "never ever", Mister Nay? ("details" may be important here). And I wonder how you can speak for other members.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2016, 01:16 PM   #3245
Daylightstar
Philosopher

This (in my opinion):

So, the only 'information' concerning the claimed content of your thoughts, which could show reception of such to be accurate is wrong, but everything else which doesn't contain such information is right?

That's a really weak position to take, one that has no merit whatsoever
Old 11th September 2016, 01:23 PM   #3246
Daylightstar
Philosopher

"never ever" or "never ever", Mister Nay? ("details" may be important here). And I wonder how you can speak for other members.
Thought broadcasting is a known indication of a serious problem, as you know:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_broadcasting

Thought broadcasting is not known (or knowable) as an actual occurrence, only as a psychotic disorder.
Unfortunately, such is reality.
Old 11th September 2016, 01:26 PM   #3247
Daylightstar
Philosopher

I insist that I am probably telepathic in a global fashion, ...
That you insist such is quite apparent, that you would be telepathic is not apparent at all.
No hint of such exists.

... this is not a joke.
Yes, this is known.
Old 11th September 2016, 01:31 PM   #3248
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Never, Period.

Nill, Nada, Not Now, Not before, Not anytime in the future.

No, Nein, Nyet.

I have not now, Not Before, Not ever, received your thoughts. Period.

I can speak for them by simply reading the thread, No one has expressed any notion they got your thoughts, Some originally answered with jokes and sarcasm before it became clear you cannot tell the difference between sincerity and and jest.

However I open the door for any member her who has genuinely heard your thoughts.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2016, 01:31 PM   #3249
Daylightstar
Philosopher

The beast was actually a cat, ...
I suspect there was no beast at all.

Do you sometimes see a cat (or cats) coming through the walls (or doors) of your apartment?
Old 11th September 2016, 02:04 PM   #3250
Michel H
Graduate Poster

I suspect there was no beast at all.

Do you sometimes see a cat (or cats) coming through the walls (or doors) of your apartment?
?
No, I don't take hallucinogenic drugs.
Old 11th September 2016, 02:11 PM   #3251
Daylightstar
Philosopher

?
No, I don't take hallucinogenic drugs.
Does "No" refer to use of hallucinogenic drugs (which I did not ask about) or does it refer to what I did ask about cat(s) possibly coming through the walls and doors in your apartment?

Last edited by Daylightstar; 11th September 2016 at 02:14 PM. Reason: "Is" > "it"
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2016, 02:14 PM   #3252
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Does "No" refer to use of hallucinogenic drugs (which I did not ask about) or does is refer to what I did ask about cat(s) possibly coming through the walls and doors in your apartment?
The "No" was an answer to your strange question.
Old 11th September 2016, 02:15 PM   #3253
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

He can speak for me. I have never received any modicum of your thoughts at any time. Ever. Nobody has on this thread. Or on the other sites upon which you inflict yourself. Nobody. None. Never. What part of this does not sink in?

Oh, I know. It's the part where you bizarrely claim that we all do without exception and proceed to lie about it. Were that remotely true, your lame 1 in 4 nonsense would be guaranteed to fail. If only you could get people to pick one, right? Well, all of us know that it matters not a whit whatever response is given. You will inevitably construe it as agreement. Doesn't matter what the answer given might be. Thus nobody cares anymore to participate in such nonsense.

At this point, if I illustrate the point I will have to write some numbers. I am not going to do it. Whatever number I might write regardless of what it might be, you will go "AHA!" and claim a super magical hit.

This, of course, renders any attempt at rational conversation moot. You simply wont allow that.

So where is it, exactly, that you want to take this? I really don't have any idea. Any critique or discussion of your numerical methods is verbotten, as is discussion of your beliefs, as is any discussion of your affliction, as is any any discussion of what your mother may or may not have said.

Frankly, you have painted yourself into a corner. You have intentionally created a scenario where nobody can be honest with you. I may indeed get a honking great yellow card for simply posting this.

The bottom line is that like it or not, there are actually people who care. And some of them are here.
Old 11th September 2016, 02:16 PM   #3254
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

That kettle's awfully black, isn't it?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2016, 02:21 PM   #3255
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

In that we've all said the same thing to you at one time or another, there is nothing special about Nay Sayer reiterating our position. No-one on the planet has ever, ever received any telepathic communication from you, or from anyone else. You have no special powers, and none of us are lying when we say "no, I (we) can't read your thoughts".
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2016, 02:29 PM   #3256
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Am I then understanding correctly that you do not see cats coming through the doors or walls in your apartment?

It's not a strange question. You have already presented auditory hallucinations with the 'violent noises' in your apartment, now you have presented an animal unusually 'responding' to your arm gestures.
It is likely the animal wasn't actually there.

Other, bizarre visual hallucinations such as I mentioned may actually occur.
Old 11th September 2016, 02:58 PM   #3257
p0lka
Muse

This (in my opinion):

Is there any test you could think of that would make you question that?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2016, 03:31 PM   #3258
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I too can confirm that I have never ever received any psychic message from you, nor from anyone else, and since I am entirely persuaded that the evidence shows telepathy doesn't exist I'm quite sure nobody else has heard such a message either.

Can you explain what you mean about details possibly being important? This response reminds me of when you picked up on a grammatical error in one of my own posts. It seemed to me that you were implying that errors in the posts might somehow invalidate the points they were making.

Are you familiar with 'confirmation bias'? Do you feel you might be inclined to see what you want to see and ignore the rest?

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 11th September 2016 at 03:32 PM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th September 2016, 03:45 PM   #3259
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I too can confirm that I have never ever received any psychic message from you, nor from anyone else, and since I am entirely persuaded that the evidence shows telepathy doesn't exist I'm quite sure nobody else has heard such a message either.

Can you explain what you mean about details possibly being important? This response reminds me of when you picked up on a grammatical error in one of my own posts. It seemed to me that you were implying that errors in the posts might somehow invalidate the points they were making.

Are you familiar with 'confirmation bias'? Do you feel you might be inclined to see what you want to see and ignore the rest?
Nub of the problem. It is Michels claim that you do, you are simply lying about it.
Old 11th September 2016, 03:53 PM   #3260
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
So where is it, exactly, that you want to take this? I really don't have any idea. ...
Most likely to simply perpetuate the belief-crutch.
If it is talked about in whatever way and his non-tests continue (to receive responses), it 'exists'. If conversation about it or his non-tests cease, it dies down and stops existing.

Like most irrational beliefs.
Old 11th September 2016, 05:21 PM   #3261
Michel H
Graduate Poster

I too can confirm that I have never ever received any psychic message from you, nor from anyone else ...
You are welcome to express yourself freely, Jack by the hedge (like all other members), of course probably within the limits imposed by the Member Agreement of this forum, and this includes expressing skeptical opinions. This, however, doesn't mean that I shall necessarily believe you. I can perhaps remind you that you did provide a quality answer in my second test on this forum:
... I change my guess to 3.
(yes, this was you, in 2013, 3 years ago ... ). Your answer was found to be both incorrect and non-credible, in line with the general observation that non-credible answers tend to be incorrect (rather than just random).
Can you explain what you mean about details possibly being important? This response reminds me of when you picked up on a grammatical error in one of my own posts. It seemed to me that you were implying that errors in the posts might somehow invalidate the points they were making. ...
Yes, I think your last sentence above is pretty accurate. Because of a (in my opinion) general lack of honesty in telepathy matters, I always carefully examine credibilities of answers and statements (and I also try to investigate the credibilities of human beings who make these statements). When I see spelling, or grammatical, or logical errors in texts, this has a direct impact on your credibilities.
Old 12th September 2016, 08:16 AM   #3262
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Hi, I invite you to participate in a new, simple, telepathy test, of the kind you may have seen before. ...

At about 9:00 p.m. on this Friday September 9 (Brussels, Belgium time), I wrote carefully one of the four words: "automobile", "boat", "plane", and "submarine" on my sheet of paper, and I surrounded it with a rough ellipse. Then, I wrote it again twice.

I shall repeat this word from time to time during this test.

I ask you to write it here (if you think you know it, even with a doubt). You may also answer "I don't know".
I would like to give now the results of this test, the correct answer was "plane", the sentence I used for the SHA512 hash was: The word ist #ŕçč plane.

Two valid answers, equal to one of the four possible options in this forced-choice test, were given.

Emily's Cat answered boat:
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Boat

Certainty: I give it about 30% to 40% likelihood of being correct. Better than random, but hardly meeting the threshold for predictability.

Here's the reason: Humans suck at random. If we're supposed to pick something random, we almost never pick the first or last thing in the list, nor do we pick the exact center element. But we tend to anchor, so we more often tend to select something closer to the beginning of a list than toward the end.

With the assumption that you wrote the words in the same order that you presented them to us (alphabetically), then the word "boat" is the word that you're statistically most likely to have select. It's the 2nd in the list - not 1st, not last, but more toward the beginning than the end.

It has nothing at all to do with telepathy, only to do with a rough understanding of how brains work, and how bad they are at random
She is in the North Western part of the U.S., I believe. Although I don't want to minimize in any way Emily's Cat's merit for participating in this test (which I think is great), I have to admit that her answer is not credible, because she stated that her answer had nothing with telepathy, but was instead related to the way we tend to select items in a list.

cullennz answered (correctly) plane:
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
(incidentally, the same phenomenon seems to occur with many animals)...
Its been known for a fair while that dogs can percieve the mood of their owner. She aint rocket science. Its facial expression and unusual behaviour of the leader of the pack.

They also have a sense of smell about 80,000 better than hours and studies have shown they can pick up unsual things like tumours.

It also shows why a dog brought to its owners grave may lie their.

They can smell them.

I'll go for plane which sounds like it is going to crash
He had said previously:
We haven't even started to hear or perceive your thoughts directly.
Speak for yourself.

I hear voices like Michael.

, and he seems to be in New Zealand:
Don't know.

Try me in NZ
, this makes his answer even more interesting than an answer by an average member of this forum, because of the large distance between NZ and Belgium, where I currently am. Although this answer isn't the most polished, I see no major reason why it shouldn't be considered as credible.

So I find that the credible answer is correct, while the non-credible answer is incorrect, a non-random result which seems rather typical in these telepathy tests. Also, the large distance between the respondents and myself did not seem to affect the conclusion in any way, a result which is also generally observed, my "apparent telepathy" seems to be a global phenomenon.
Old 12th September 2016, 08:26 AM   #3263
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

So I find that the credible answer is correct, while the non-credible answer is incorrect, a non-random result which seems rather typical in these telepathy tests. Also, the large distance between the respondents and myself did not seem to affect the conclusion in any way, a result which is also generally observed, my "apparent telepathy" seems to be a global phenomenon.
And this is why I advised everyone to answer honestly, rather than sarcastically.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2016, 08:57 AM   #3264
phunk
Illuminator

This 2014 post by Daylightstar was certainly not perfect, but I nevertheless think it was a fairly good post (this is why I quote it from time to time, not sure he likes that though).

Right after (30 minutes later, it was the next post) Daylightstar posted:
(two years ago), The Moog said:
Yes, we understand that you don't recognize sarcasm. You don't have to keep reminding us.

Quote:
Your experience of diving could potentially make you a very valuable member of this forum (if you are honest, of course).
Completely honest. Add me to the list of people who has never received one of your (or anyone else's) "broadcasts".
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2016, 09:30 AM   #3265
Daylightstar
Philosopher

... my "apparent telepathy" seems to be a global phenomenon.
No telepathy is apparent though. Not a hint of it can be observed.
Old 12th September 2016, 09:33 AM   #3266
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
And this is why I advised everyone to answer honestly, rather than sarcastically.

Dave
Actually, it is better to not provide answers to the 1 in 4 question at all. Providing such answers will simply perpetuate the delusion.
Old 12th September 2016, 09:37 AM   #3267
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Thought broadcasting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_broadcasting
will likely afflict people across the globe.

Last edited by Daylightstar; 12th September 2016 at 09:39 AM. Reason: First link embedded.
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2016, 10:06 AM   #3268
Dave Rogers

Actually, it is better to not provide answers to the 1 in 4 question at all. Providing such answers will simply perpetuate the delusion.
Hence the suggestion that everybody simply say that they don't know, because "don't know" is in fact the true answer.

Dave

Old 12th September 2016, 10:22 AM   #3269
JesseCuster
Muse

And I wonder how you can speak for other members.
He's telepathic.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2016, 01:23 PM   #3270
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

... This, however, doesn't mean that I shall necessarily believe you. I can perhaps remind you that you did provide a quality answer in my second test on this forum:

(yes, this was you, in 2013, 3 years ago ... ). Your answer was found to be both incorrect and non-credible, in line with the general observation that non-credible answers tend to be incorrect (rather than just random).
It was interesting to go back and read that again. I answered honestly "I don't know" but then you said "I am not asking you if you know the number I wrote. I am asking you to guess it" so I asked if you meant we might subconsciously know the right answer without being aware of it and changed my answer to a guess at a number, honestly believing that was what you wanted me to do.

You decided my revised answer was not credible. I am quite certain if I had accidentally guessed the right number you would have accepted it as credible.

Since then I've become more familiar with the way you design into your tests sufficient opportunities to bias the results that you can continue to justify your belief in being telepathic.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2016, 01:35 PM   #3271
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Pokémon GO can fairly be described as a global phenomenon. The same cannot be said of your belief that you broadcast your thoughts.

Other than right here on this forum, nobody in the world appears to be talking about some telepathic guy from Belgium. Naturally we will not agree on the reason for that, but since I can easily guess what your excuse will be I can say right now that it is not credible.
Old 12th September 2016, 11:46 PM   #3272
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Hence the suggestion that everybody simply say that they don't know, because "don't know" is in fact the true answer.

Dave
Any answer, even if an alternative suggested by Michel H, such as "I don't know", will perpetuate the delusion.
Old 13th September 2016, 12:24 AM   #3273
devnull
Philosopher

So I find that the credible answer is correct, while the non-credible answer is incorrect,
Im shocked I tell you. Shocked!
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th September 2016, 02:33 AM   #3274
Michel H
Graduate Poster

You decided my revised answer was not credible. I am quite certain if I had accidentally guessed the right number you would have accepted it as credible.

Since then I've become more familiar with the way you design into your tests sufficient opportunities to bias the results that you can continue to justify your belief in being telepathic.
Let us assume somebody had answered "I answer plane, just because this is the word that I like best, among the four possible answers (automobile, boat, plane and submarine)."

Would you agree that such an answer would not have been credible, in a telepathy test, regardless of whether or not "the telepathic guy from Belgium" wrote "plane" on his paper?
Old 13th September 2016, 02:40 AM   #3275
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Let us assume somebody had answered "I answer plane, just because this is the word that I like best, among the four possible answers (automobile, boat, plane and submarine)."

Would you agree that such an answer would not have been credible, in a telepathy test, regardless of whether or not "the telepathic guy from Belgium" wrote "plane" on his paper?
Yes it would have been a credible answer in any real test as that is exactly what a real test is meant to test for i.e chance and guessing rather than knowing.
Old 13th September 2016, 02:55 AM   #3276
Dave Rogers

No less so than "I'll go for plane which sounds like it is going to crash", which first of all is phrased as a guess ("I'll go for" clearly indicates choosing among options rather than stating a known answer) and secondly ridicules itself.

Putting aside your cherry-picking, there are two ways of analyzing your data.

(1) Ignoring "I don't know" responses (hardly valid as the aim is to demonstrate that people do know) you have two answers, one of which is right and one wrong. The probability of this from random chance is 37.5%. The null hypothesis is therefore not rejected.

(2) Including "I don't know" responses, you have thirteen responses, only one of which contains the word you chose. I'm not even going to bother working out the possibilities; the null hypothesis is again not rejected.

You have not therefore provided credible evidence for telepathy in this trial.

Dave

Old 13th September 2016, 05:35 PM   #3277
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Mod InfoThis thread has reached a length were the performance of the forum software is noticeably impacted. I've split the thread at an arbitrary spot to start a new thread, here.

Please continue the discussion in the new thread. You may, of course, reference or quote from posts in this thread even though it is now closed.
Posted By:jsfisher

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal