ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st August 2017, 06:50 AM   #1
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Need an eclipse viewing destination? Open invite!

Were three weeks out!

If anyone is looking for a destination in the eclipse zone, we have property in the path of totality in Lenoir City, TN.

Its 3.3 acres along an airstrip. Big T Airport (80TN) for my pilot friends, though flying in is not an option. Just a few miles off I-75 and US321.

Karen and I are inviting anyone whod like to come a place from which to view the eclipse. Should be an unobstructed view from the runway, weather permitting, of course.

What we have:

Space for camping - tent or RV. Should be enough parking for cars, motorcycles or RVs.

City water.

Power - but just two 20A outlets on a temp pole. Should be enough to charge electronic devices but not to power an RV.

PortaPotty

What we dont have:

Any kind of RV hookups - plan on boondocking for a day or two if you have an RV.

Not far away is a Petro gas station with dump facilities for $5, and an Ace Hardware that can fill propane tanks.

Caution: no telling what traffic will be like. Might be a good idea to plan an arrival at least a day or two early.

Anyway, if this sounds like a good idea, let me know at FastEddieB@mac.com if you plan on coming and Ill send directions.
Old 1st August 2017, 07:00 AM   #2
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Fast Eddie B:

Thanks so much for the kind invite and I would really love to take advantage of it, but I have to decline. Unfortunately, I have to work that day and it is not the kind of job that I can miss.

Which really bums me out because I have never seen a total eclipse before and I have looked forward to seeing one for quite a few years now.

However, I do hope that you and your friends have a good time on 21 AUG 2017.

Crossbow -

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2017, 07:36 AM   #3
madurobob
Philosopher

Sounds like a great spot - good luck!

I have friends who run a B&B near Highlands, NC. I asked a couple of months ago about booking a room there for the weekend prior to eclipse and they laughed at me. They said every hotel, motel, B&B, AirB&B and dog house in or near the eclipse path in the area was booked solid. They said they were concerned for the general infrastructure in the area and were bracing for a rather miserable Monday 21 August. They said projections were for 40K additional people in Highlands on Eclipse Monday - Highlands population is about 1,000.

I have friends who have rented a 15 passenger van. I'll ride with them to a randomly chosen spot in SC southwest of Charlotte, eclipse glasses in hand. I expect traffic jams and upset locals, but hopefully it'll make for some fun stories later.

I'm a bit conflicted about the expected crowds. Part of me wants a lonely hilltop to myself and hates the crowds keeping me from enjoying that. Another part is happy so many people are interested and want to experience it.
Old 1st August 2017, 09:35 AM   #4
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

I plan to be close, but an airport isn't what I have in mind. My plan is to get to the area a couple of days ahead and drive around a bit looking for a good spot. Driving on the highways in forested areas, particularly in & near state/national forests/parks, you often see tall hills or cliffs that would give good views of the area if you climbed to the top of one, but nobody ever does because they're not near standard park/forest entrances, campgrounds, or trails. Then all I'd need to do is pull off the road the night before and do a short hike/climb.

I'm not concerned about infrastructure because I can have everything I need for several days with me in my car, including a tent and the choice to sleep in the back of the car (it's a PT Cruiser, so with the back seats out it's like a steel & glass tent back there).
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2017, 09:44 AM   #5
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

The "airport" is more of a mowed field about 3,000' long.

Our property is the cleared property at the bottom:

The parking will be mostly along the road next to it.

If anyone is curious, what it's like to land and take off from there:

https://youtu.be/hDCb9dMFlB4
Old 1st August 2017, 10:06 AM   #6
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I'm not concerned about infrastructure because I can have everything I need for several days with me in my car, including a tent and the choice to sleep in the back of the car (it's a PT Cruiser, so with the back seats out it's like a steel & glass tent back there).
I'm confident you can find a good spot with enough time to look for it in advance. But, I am reminded of a camping trip decades ago...

I took my girlfriend to a nice bald north of Asheville, NC. We were the only car in the parking lot when we got there. Hiked a couple of miles and found a perfect camping spot. The first night was blissful with nothing but us, the campfire and the stars. The second day, around 3 in the afternoon, I hiked back to the car to grab something we'd forgotten and I noticed a few cars pulling into the parking lot. Cool - neighbors! But, as I started hiking back to the campsite I could see a line of cars along the parkway, turning onto the side road leading to our spot. What the heck?

Before the end of the evening the parking lot was overflowing, there were 50 tents within 200 yards of us, and we were sitting naked in a hastily crafted sweat lodge build by several of our new neighbors.

This was our introduction to the "Harmonic Convergence".
Old 4th August 2017, 01:50 AM   #7
fagin
Illuminator

Cool offer, just a pity I'm on the other side of the world.

Unless you want to pop over and give me a lift back in your little plane?
Old 9th August 2017, 07:37 AM   #8
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That is a really cool setup and a generous invitation. Just the sort of thing I want to do once my wife gets out of her current job. But, since she is still tied to that job I'll have to pass this time. Why can't this sort of stuff happen in the middle o the summer?

We will be within about an hour of there camping next summer, though. I spent some time in that area in my youth and am really looking forward to going back there.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 07:45 AM   #9
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Final bump!

Just a few days out. Right now about a dozen or so people planning to come, so room for more. The more the merrier!

Plan to arrive with plenty of gas - there are fears that stations in and around the zone of totality may run out at some point.
Old 21st August 2017, 02:13 PM   #10
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Had a nice turnout - quick guess between 25 and 30, including some SGU lurkers.

Perfectly clear skies, and the runway provided a nice view.

Video'd the folks watching, and will post to YouTube in a few days.

Most importantly, I got to serve as the Pastafarian Chaplain at today's event - an honor I will not soon forget!

Old 23rd August 2017, 01:38 PM   #11
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Sounds fun.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2017, 02:16 PM   #12
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Had a nice turnout - quick guess between 25 and 30, including some SGU lurkers.

Perfectly clear skies, and the runway provided a nice view.

Video'd the folks watching, and will post to YouTube in a few days.

Most importantly, I got to serve as the Pastafarian Chaplain at today's event - an honor I will not soon forget!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4358/...bc62e840c4.jpg
A friend used his pastafarian hat to project a wonderful pattern of little crescent suns on the patio where we were. One of the best examples of the impromptu pinhole camera I've seen.

ETA - whoops, just moseyed over to the photo contest thread and saw someone else did the same thing!

Last edited by madurobob; 23rd August 2017 at 02:18 PM.
madurobob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2017, 02:20 PM   #13
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
A friend used his pastafarian hat to project a wonderful pattern of little crescent suns on the patio where we were. One of the best examples of the impromptu pinhole camera I've seen.

That is, of course, why I had the colander on hand - and later, on head!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal