ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th August 2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Bubba
Master Poster

Been to the moon?

Have you been to the moon?

If so, you'd not need to trust others reporting what becomes/became 'history'. Depending upon perspective, one person's 'history' can be like fake news to another. Losers vs victors writing it being a popular example.

Other than those who went to the moon, who has sufficient direct knowledge/experience to know they went to the moon? Rocket men and women, and other project staff would know.

But what of those further and furthest away from that perspective?

How far downstream in the information chain are those who must rely solely on trust in writers and reporters? Where in that chain does/must it become belief/faith? In terms of sophistication perhaps? Where are you on that info chain? How would others frame this question more simply?
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

If so, you'd not need to trust others reporting what becomes/became 'history'. Depending upon perspective, one person's 'history' can be like fake news to another. Losers vs victors writing it being a popular example.

Other than those who went to the moon, who has sufficient direct knowledge/experience to know they went to the moon? Rocket men and women, and other project staff would know.

How far downstream in the information chain are those who must rely solely on trust in writers and reporters? Where in that chain does/must it become belief/faith? In terms of sophistication perhaps? Where are you on that info chain? How would others frame this question more simply?
If this is a thread questioning the moon landings then I'm going to be sorely disappointed in you, old chap, least of all because it's in the wrong category.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 10:54 AM   #3
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I used to go the Moon at least once a week to play volleyball.

But now, the Moon has gotten so touristy with a Starbucks on the edge of every rim, that now I only go the Moon once a month or so when there is nothing good on TV.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 10:55 AM   #4
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
If this is a thread questioning the moon landings then I'm going to be sorely disappointed in you, old chap, least of all because it's in the wrong category.

Sigh...
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 10:56 AM   #5
Argumemnon
World Maker

Other than those who went to the moon, who has sufficient direct knowledge/experience to know they went to the moon?
The physics allow it, the tech allows it, the journey is evidently feasible, we have eyewitnesses, footage, pictures, moon rocks, and landers and flags still visible from telescopes.

There.
Old 10th August 2017, 11:00 AM   #6
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Sigh...
That all you got, Bubba?

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 11:01 AM   #7
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
The physics allow it, the tech allows it, the journey is evidently feasible, we have eyewitnesses, footage, pictures, moon rocks, and landers and flags still visible from telescopes.

There.
Now, now... Let's all put our tinfoil hats on and give this bloke a chance.

Old 10th August 2017, 11:11 AM   #8
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post

There.
Of course.
Old 10th August 2017, 11:12 AM   #9
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I'm pretty sure this nonsense belongs here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...splay.php?f=91

Old 10th August 2017, 11:18 AM   #10
Bubba
Master Poster

If you're mistaking this for a thread questioning the moon landings then I'm going to be sorely disappointed in you, old chap.

Its about the last paragraph in post #1. Moon landing being a popular example.

Apply it to any issue you wish

Quote:
Old 10th August 2017, 11:21 AM   #11
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

If you're mistaking this for a thread questioning the moon landings then I'm going to be sorely disappointed in you, old chap.

Its about the last paragraph in post #1. Moon landing being a popular example.

Apply it to any issue you wish
So you're just being intentionally vague for the sake of it? It seems that every person who has posted thus far was of the same opinion as me, so I guess you may want to be a little more clear when starting threads about the moon landings in a category regarding general skepticism and the paranormal, lol.

Old 10th August 2017, 11:31 AM   #12
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I have not been to India. There are no tigers in India.

This is, of course, a completely new concept, which no person, especially no philosopher, has ever considered before. No, no, never.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 11:35 AM   #13
sphenisc
Illuminator

No, I haven't been to the moon.

Quote:
If so, you'd not need to trust others reporting what becomes/became 'history'.
No., I 'd still need to trust others reporting about historical events. The fact I'd been somewhere doesn't mean that every report about what happened there is true.

Quote:
Other than those who went to the moon, who has sufficient direct knowledge/experience to know they went to the moon?
No-one. The rest of us have sufficient indirect knowledge to know they went to the moon.

Quote:
Rocket men and women, and other project staff would know.
Their experience is indirect.

Quote:

Thanks to modern technology the chain for most of us is remarkably short. We can watch videos of the events. We can listen to interviews with the astronauts involved. We are but one step removed from being their ourselves. What a great time being alive.
Old 10th August 2017, 11:36 AM   #14
Bubba
Master Poster

So you're just being intentionally vague for the sake of it? It seems that every person who has posted thus far was of the same opinion as me, so I guess you may want to be a little more clear when starting threads about the moon landings in a category regarding general skepticism and the paranormal, lol.
How would you present it then?

This:

Quote:
Old 10th August 2017, 11:41 AM   #15
Bubba
Master Poster

Serious answer recognized and appreciated

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
No, I haven't been to the moon.

No., I 'd still need to trust others reporting about historical events. The fact I'd been somewhere doesn't mean that every report about what happened there is true.

No-one. The rest of us have sufficient indirect knowledge to know they went to the moon.

Their experience is indirect.

Thanks to modern technology the chain for most of us is remarkably short. We can watch videos of the events. We can listen to interviews with the astronauts involved. We are but one step removed from being their ourselves. What a great time being alive.

Thank you.
Old 10th August 2017, 11:47 AM   #16
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

How would you present it then?

This:
By not naming the thread "Been to the Moon?" and then beginning said thread as though you're asking whether we can actually trust what we've been told and are being told about such things, especially in a category which is usually intended for things like Bigfoot, aliens, ghosts and psychics.

To answer the question, though, I've never been to the arctic, but I trust that it is indeed a place that has been frequented by us lot, and I don't need to act on faith in order to reason that such things are true, and thus have no need or desire to visit there myself.

The line of thinking that you're on seems to suggest that you think we should be more careful about what we believe, which is certainly true of some things, but I think you're swell when it comes to the moon, mate.

Old 10th August 2017, 11:52 AM   #17
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Serious answer recognized and appreciated

Thank you.
Sometimes, it's hard to take threads like this seriously, especially when they're presented in such an odd and vague way. A case in point would be your "old maps for debunking" thread, which you began, then weirdly avoided replying to. There are far too many threads being started by certain members here who seem to enjoy asking odd questions and then never responding, only to then rinse and repeat in a whole new oddball thread. I've not been here as long as some members, but after being here for 7 years, it gets tiresome giving the benefit of the doubt to people who seem hellbent on being nonsensical for the sake of it.

I'm not necessarily saying that you're doing that, but it can appear that way when you post vague topics and then refrain from replying in any kind of "normal" manner, often leaving it to others to discuss, before going off and starting another thread with the same method.

Old 10th August 2017, 12:43 PM   #18
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Yes. Why do you ask Bubba?
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 12:56 PM   #19
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Yes. Why do you ask Bubba?
Researching for book on people not afraid to admit publicly that they've been to the moon.

Unless former Apollo, please elaborate on when, how, why, etc.
Did you go alone ?
Old 10th August 2017, 12:57 PM   #20
Bubba
Master Poster

Sometimes,..

I'm not necessarily saying that you're doing that, but it can appear that way when you post vague topics and then refrain from replying in any kind of "normal" manner, often leaving it to others to discuss, before going off and starting another thread with the same method.

Good to see the word normal in quotes. Sometimes it defies definition.

Last edited by Bubba; 10th August 2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10th August 2017, 01:04 PM   #21
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Good to see the word normal in quotes as it can sometimes defy definition.
My use of quotations was more of a touch on the fact that what consitutes as normal can differ greatly from person to person.

At any rate, after viewing your profile and looking at the threads you've started, it seems that you are indeed one of those posters who begins vague threads, often in a pretentious manner, and then refrains from posting in them, leaving them to other people to discuss, which in my opinion is a form of trolling.

Old 10th August 2017, 01:09 PM   #22
Jungle Jim
Muse

I find it curious that you chose the moon landing as the example used in this thread when from conception to completion it was possibly the most well documented endevour in human history.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 01:16 PM   #23
p0lka
Muse

As with anything, people have the ability to look at the evidence and make up their own mind.

Regarding your chain analogy, when you get your facts from media and don't even question it, I would class that as far downstream in the chain.
I would not be surprised though if that was right in the middle of the chain, disappointed yes, surprised no.

Last edited by p0lka; 10th August 2017 at 01:22 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 01:46 PM   #24
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Bubba, do you believe the Apollo missions arrived at, landed on the moon and returned their craft and crews safely?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 01:53 PM   #25
sts60
Master Poster

It's been a while since one of your passive-aggressive JAQ threads, Bubba. Welcome back!

Will it be page 2, 3, ... [?] before you try the ol' interpret-someone's-answer-as-support-for-a-conspiracy routine?
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 02:03 PM   #26
Jungle Jim
Muse

repeat

Last edited by Jungle Jim; 10th August 2017 at 02:04 PM.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 02:06 PM   #27
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

H
Well, I personally know a couple of people who have worked for NASA and the European Space Agency on various satellite and space probes. The science allows it, and I know plenty of people who would be only to glad to expose any hoax if there was one.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 02:44 PM   #28
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I used to go the Moon at least once a week to play volleyball.

But now, the Moon has gotten so touristy with a Starbucks on the edge of every rim, that now I only go the Moon once a month or so when there is nothing good on TV.
Were you in the Tranquility Regional League?
Old 10th August 2017, 02:49 PM   #29
Ranb
Philosopher

Researching for book on people not afraid to admit publicly that they've been to the moon.
So this would be a book about people who have set foot on the moon? And also limited to those Apollo astronauts (that would be all of them) who stated publicly they landed on the moon? How do you determine if they were afraid to admit it or unafraid?

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 03:00 PM   #30
sts60
Master Poster

All the people who have been to the Moon (both orbiting and orbiting/landing) have publicly and repeatedly spoken of it. That's the crews of Apollo 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17. No one was "afraid to admit it".
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 03:11 PM   #31
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Did you go alone ?
Other, Signed a non-disclosure form.

Semi related, Ever been to the Byrd Station?
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-

Last edited by Nay_Sayer; 10th August 2017 at 03:14 PM.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 03:22 PM   #32
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

[...]
Stop being ridiculous.
Old 10th August 2017, 03:27 PM   #33
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
All the people who have been to the Moon (both orbiting and orbiting/landing) have publicly and repeatedly spoken of it. That's the crews of Apollo 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17. No one was "afraid to admit it".
Yep. My grandfather helped launch Apollo 8 in 1968. I'm very proud of his contributions.
Old 10th August 2017, 04:17 PM   #34
mgidm86
Illuminator

I don't frequent the paranormal forum much, but I actually, though apprehensively, took the thread to be about the last paragraph regarding chain of information, if you will. Silly me. The poster confirmed this, then later said it actually is about people going to the moon who are willing to admit it. Then I read a few other threads.

I have never been to the moon, and anyone claiming I have is a liar.

I stay away from the sub-forum as I often find it too frustrating (yet I frequent the Politics section?). My hats off to the rest of you.

Anyways, that "chain of information" thing could possibly be an interesting topic if it ever becomes one.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 05:31 PM   #35
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Did you go alone ?
I am considering researching a book on people devoid of a sense of humor or irony. I wonder whom I should interview first?

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 05:54 PM   #36
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Did you go alone ?
Bubba, the USA sent men to the moon in July 1969 and returned them alive. The Soviets knew this. The North Vietnamese knew this.

Every intelligent person on Earth understood this. You don't.

Dumb *********.

Last edited by John Jones; 10th August 2017 at 07:06 PM.
John Jones is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 06:18 PM   #37
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So unless you personally set foot on the moon the factual status of the moon landings is "a matter of faith."

What utter incredible nonsense.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 06:22 PM   #38
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Have you been to the moon?.

I am Harrison Schmitt.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 06:25 PM   #39
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

You mean people with pretty much zero understanding of physics and engineering?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 06:26 PM   #40
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
So unless you personally set foot on the moon the factual status of the moon landings is "a matter of faith."

What utter incredible nonsense.
Consider the source.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal