ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags extraterrestrials , ufos

Old 14th August 2017, 10:06 AM   #41
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
... snipped for relevance ...

That said, I do not believe in aliens, but rather a pre-modern civilization capable of space flight, that escaped earth's last great cataclysm, 'into the heavens.'
What a load of crap.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 11:31 AM   #42
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
The Devil's footprints

...and giant dragonflies?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 11:35 AM   #43
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post

What is special for these UFOs about the solar eclipse next week that wasn't special about any previous eclipse?

Because it's 'Murica this time around.
We get the best ETs.

Well... the biggest attention seekers, at any rate.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 11:38 AM   #44
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Watch out or you'll have Alan in here! lol.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 12:02 PM   #45
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Wouldn't it be cool if the sun had a CME (coronal mass ejection) at the time and the only people surviving were the ones directly in the umbra (shadow) of the Moon?
OK, maybe not so much for EVERYONE ELSE in the hemisphere... but it would make for a hell of a story!
Old 14th August 2017, 01:32 PM   #46
Imhotep
Muse

Imagine what you could do with the eclipse event if you were the leader of a secluded cult that was unaware of the event, but you knew it was coming. Elaborate Ceremony Time!!
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 01:56 PM   #47
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Imagine what you could do with the eclipse event if you were the leader of a secluded cult that was unaware of the event, but you knew it was coming. Elaborate Ceremony Time!!
Yeah! I'll start my own cult; with hookers, and beer, and blackjack.

No, forget the blackjack.

Heck, forget the cult too!

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 02:45 PM   #48
sadhatter
Philosopher

It took 'us' less than 100 years to go from Kitty Hawk to Armstrong on the moon. How long have humans been on the earth in this form?

Actual 'Aliens' from another world would find us far too barbaric to mess with, not to mention no warp drive...

The mostly likely conclusion to what I saw was 'advance earth technology,' unknown to me.
That sounds like heresy to me, everyone knows that in a galaxy of xenos filth humans are the only civilized people.

The emperor will be keeping his eye on you.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 05:22 PM   #49
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Peer skyward during the eclipse if you seek evidence.

I shall, but except during totality, I'll be wearing very dark glasses. This is because I've bought into government propaganda about "permanent retinal damage" from staring at the "sun." Unfortunately, that will almost certainly allow the aliens to stage their elaborate maneuvers and aerial light shows, Close Encounters of the Third Kind style, without me noticing a thing. Clever government and alien (and alien government) bastages!

Quote:
If not remain in the dark.

At least I won't be blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce (or wrapped up like a douche?) another runner in the night.
Old 15th August 2017, 05:13 AM   #50
King of the Americas
Philosopher

That displays a total disregard for science and logic, not to mention common sense.

This is the kind of fast-food thinking that brought us such hilarious shows as Ancient Aliens.

Do you also view Stonehenge and the Egyptian pyramids as being out of the realms of human ability?

We also went from the Commodore to X-Box One in a relatively short amount of time. I wonder whether that was brought about by alien technology, too.
You misunderstand.

I do not believe in aliens.

Humans have been far more capable for far longer than modern science wishes to admit.

U.F.O's are 'most likely' advanced earth technology unknown to me.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 05:20 AM   #51
King of the Americas
Philosopher

You might as well speculate that they'd be put off by our taste in music, it holds about as much ground as what you speculated.

Or:

a) You were mistaken.

b) You were drunk.

c) You're telling porky pies.
Ever seen Star Trek? Ever heard of the Federation's Prime Directive? You think a civilization of interstellar travelers would muck with a world as chaotic as our's?? What could they possibly have to gain? Our world leaders just got finished threatening each other with nuclear destruction, like last week!

a) I was not alone, when I witnessed what I did.

b) We were all sober.

c) I LOVE bacon, but I don't misrepresent facts.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 05:21 AM   #52
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
What a load of crap.
Insightful.
Old 15th August 2017, 05:22 AM   #53
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Christopher Columba's used his knowledge of an eclipse to convince natives he was some sort of god-man...
Old 15th August 2017, 05:24 AM   #54
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I shall, but except during totality, I'll be wearing very dark glasses. This is because I've bought into government propaganda about "permanent retinal damage" from staring at the "sun." Unfortunately, that will almost certainly allow the aliens to stage their elaborate maneuvers and aerial light shows, Close Encounters of the Third Kind style, without me noticing a thing. Clever government and alien (and alien government) bastages!

At least I won't be blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce (or wrapped up like a douche?) another runner in the night.
I said, 'with protective eye gear'...and a camera.
Old 15th August 2017, 05:43 AM   #55
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
El Chupacabra.

Mothman

The Devil's footprints

Jesus

the CIA.
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Pogomofo!

Last edited by Mike!; 15th August 2017 at 05:46 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 05:55 AM   #56
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

And where do these ancient astronauts do their farming? A hydroponics bay with a closed ecosystem? Severely limiting their population and activity? Do they mine asteroids? Are they magic? Why haven't they resettled Earth after whatever cataclysm made them flee into space subsided and all humans on Earth were hunter gatherers that they could have easily displaced, providing them with much better living arrangements than drinking their own filtered piss in a space pyramid?
Where are the remnants of a society that advanced? They would have spanned the globe and left more evidence of industrial and agricultural activity than even we modern humans. But there's nothing. Nowhere.
You've either bought into a fairy tale, or you're lying to us.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 05:57 AM   #57
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

You misunderstand.

Humans have been far more capable for far longer than modern science wishes to admit.
You know this how?
How is it we have dashcam footage of multiple meteors, but nothing of a UFO yet?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 06:00 AM   #58
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
You know this how?
The same impeccable logic that made him suggest that a cave drawing in Spain proves the Jews stole their menorah from Atlantis.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 06:09 AM   #59
StackOverflow
Scholar

You think a civilization of interstellar travelers would muck with a world as chaotic as our's?? What could they possibly have to gain?
How does this fit into your narrative? If they are not allowed to show themselves, why can we see them during the eclipse?

You need to work harder on your stories, invent better claims and lies.This thread has already become stale and boring.
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 06:37 AM   #60
Crossbow

Insightful.
So what did you expect?

You made, and continue to make, absurd and completely unsupported claims about space critters during the upcoming eclipse.

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 07:04 AM   #61
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
You know this how?

How is it we have dashcam footage of multiple meteors, but nothing of a UFO yet?
*See the Michael Shermer Graham Hancock debate thread.

You think there is no dash cam footage of UFO's? Show me this rock thou hast found to abide under...it must be spacious.
Old 15th August 2017, 07:08 AM   #62
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
How does this fit into your narrative? If they are not allowed to show themselves, why can we see them during the eclipse?

You need to work harder on your stories, invent better claims and lies.This thread has already become stale and boring.
Alien life, interstellar travelers, would have a very different code of conduct than something that spawned from earth...

Stories of our heavenly agents are rife with benevolence, gifts and protections, and flying thunderbirds that intended to be seen and felt.

Your confusion seems to have started long before this thread.

So, you believe UFO's are aliens or a giant hoax?
Old 15th August 2017, 07:10 AM   #63
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
So what did you expect?

You made, and continue to make, absurd and completely unsupported claims about space critters during the upcoming eclipse.
No, it is a prediction based on previous patterns.

Shall I not expect more from the likes of an old-hat like yourself?

I think I will.

Do better, sir.
Old 15th August 2017, 07:12 AM   #64
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

Perhaps he/she believes UFOs are objects people see in the sky which they can't immediately identify.
Old 15th August 2017, 07:14 AM   #65
StackOverflow
Scholar

Alien life, interstellar travelers, would have a very different code of conduct than something that spawned from earth...

Stories of our heavenly agents are rife with benevolence, gifts and protections, and flying thunderbirds that intended to be seen and felt.

Your confusion seems to have started long before this thread.

Wow. Do better, sir.
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 07:26 AM   #66
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
Wow. Do better, sir.
Your standards are out of whack.
Old 15th August 2017, 07:28 AM   #67
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

You misunderstand.

No, no aliens, what you believe is far, far sillier.

Humans have been far more capable for far longer than modern science wishes to admit?

And your evidence is where? I'll give you a few minutes to pluck it from between your arse cheeks.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 07:34 AM   #68
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Ever seen Star Trek? Ever heard of the Federation's Prime Directive? You think a civilization of interstellar travelers would muck with a world as chaotic as our's?? What could they possibly have to gain? Our world leaders just got finished threatening each other with nuclear destruction, like last week!
Nah, I don't watch Star Trek. I think you may have been watching a little too much of it, though!

a) I was not alone, when I witnessed what I did.
I don't get why that would matter, it's not like lunacy is only relevant to one person. I mean, there are many many Morrissey fans, so more than one person can be wrong.

b) We were all sober.
But were you high on life?

c) I LOVE bacon, but I don't misrepresent facts.
You've misrepresented a few in this very thread, especially when you said that humans have been far more capable for longer than science would admit.

Old 15th August 2017, 07:35 AM   #69
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post

Old 15th August 2017, 07:36 AM   #70
StackOverflow
Scholar

Your standards are out of whack.
You need to do WAY better
Old 15th August 2017, 07:41 AM   #71
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
KotA, do "UFO"s appear every time there is a solar eclipse? There have been 17 solar eclipses since 2010, with the 18th due next week - so why aren't we groaning under the weight of footage of these UFOs taken from these eclipses? Not just shaky camera-phone footage, but from all the news cameras that record eclipses.

What is special for these UFOs about the solar eclipse next week that wasn't special about any previous eclipse?

Do you expect these UFOs to appear during lunar eclipses too?
I started reading this thread and I justknew that someone would post this before I could .

What makes this one special, of course, is that it covers a significant area of the continental US - the world center for wackos.
Old 15th August 2017, 07:44 AM   #72
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Indistinguishable from magic, even.
Old 15th August 2017, 08:27 AM   #73
Crossbow

No, it is a prediction based on previous patterns.

Shall I not expect more from the likes of an old-hat like yourself?

I think I will.

Do better, sir.
Kindly stop lying to yourself and everyone else.

You flat-out said, and continue to say, that there are beings of some sort which have space flight technology and that these things do visit the Earth.

Old 15th August 2017, 08:46 AM   #74
CORed
Philosopher

Governments use the remote nature of small sightings to dismiss them.

If E.T's 'wanted' to be known they'd take the stage when many people are all looking skyward, as to bypass government denial...just a hunch.

Sightings increase with astronomical events.
That is most likely a direct result of more people looking up.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 09:01 AM   #75
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by King of the Americas
As with other such nonsense, why the hell not? Something to do, innit?
Exactly.
Is all one needs to know about KOTA's posts.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 09:08 AM   #76
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Graham Hancock
Oh, dear.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 10:15 AM   #77
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

UFO's in Oklahoma?

In Jim Ross's voice: "It's a slobberknocker!"

I personally predict Bigfoot, or Dogman, or Wolfman, or Goatman, depending on your preferred mental state.
Haven't seen or read Wofman in a goodly while!!!!!!!! Hope he pops back in!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 10:18 AM   #78
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Ahhh, not that many posts but one the first of the month!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 08:55 PM   #79
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Ahhh, not that many posts but one the first of the month!!!!
Wolfman dammit!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 15th August 2017, 10:32 PM   #80
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Prediction: the eclipse will cause some power outages because the grid won't be able to balance the rapid drop and return of solar power.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal