ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags extraterrestrials , ufos

Old 16th August 2017, 12:16 AM   #81
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Prediction: the eclipse will cause some power outages because the grid won't be able to balance the rapid drop and return of solar power.
What happens at night?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 01:13 AM   #82
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I suspect the article is exaggerating, but it does seem to be something that at least needs to be managed.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 05:27 AM   #83
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
No, no aliens, what you believe is far, far sillier.

Humans have been far more capable for far longer than modern science wishes to admit?

And your evidence is where? I'll give you a few minutes to pluck it from between your arse cheeks.
check out the Michael Shermer vs. Graham Hancock thread...good stuffs.
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 06:14 AM   #84
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
What happens at night?

Dave
What happens on a cloudy, overcast day?

ETA - Even worse, what happens on a cloudy, overcast night?
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin

Last edited by Dumb All Over; 16th August 2017 at 06:31 AM.
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 06:45 AM   #85
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
What happens at night?

Dave
The load on the network is lower at night. People are in bed asleep (mostly). This is not the case during an eclipse. The network load will increase.

That said, totality does not last as long as a whole night. And there are various means of accommodating sudden short surges in demand and loss of capacity. Doom-mongers always forget those for reasons of convenience. They forget that their doomy mindset blinds them to the subtleties of the situation.

In actual fact, the doom-mongers will jump on ANY subtlety as an admission that the chosen DOOM will occur.

Outages, if any, will be short-lived and trivial.

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
What happens on a cloudy, overcast day?

ETA - Even worse, what happens on a cloudy, overcast night?
Burglaries.
Old 16th August 2017, 07:26 AM   #86
xjx388
Philosopher

Let's be serious for a moment. KOTA has made a prediction and it will in all likelihood come true: That there will be multiple sightings of UFOs with camera footage, etc. There are such sightings and recordings all the time so I think it's reasonable to suspect that such sightings will go up at a time when everyone is looking up. The problem is that all of them can be explained by fakes or more mundane phenomena. Even if we can't precisely determine what that weird thing in the sky is, we simply don't have enough evidence to make the leap to "ancient astronauts," or "aliens."

I realize that it's entertaining to consider the possibilities and come up with elaborate explanations with no evidence. And if that's all the KOTA is doing then, have fun, I guess. I myself got over being entertained by UFOs and such at about the same time I realized that professional wrestling was kayfabe.
Old 16th August 2017, 07:28 AM   #87
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
check out the Michael Shermer vs. Graham Hancock thread...good stuffs.
Any particular reason? I'm a busy man, I've got pizza to eat and TV to watch.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 07:34 AM   #88
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Let's be serious for a moment. KOTA has made a prediction and it will in all likelihood come true: That there will be multiple sightings of UFOs with camera footage, etc. There are such sightings and recordings all the time so I think it's reasonable to suspect that such sightings will go up at a time when everyone is looking up. The problem is that all of them can be explained by fakes or more mundane phenomena. Even if we can't precisely determine what that weird thing in the sky is, we simply don't have enough evidence to make the leap to "ancient astronauts," or "aliens."

I realize that it's entertaining to consider the possibilities and come up with elaborate explanations with no evidence. And if that's all the KOTA is doing then, have fun, I guess. I myself got over being entertained by UFOs and such at about the same time I realized that professional wrestling was kayfabe.

So it can pretty much all be summed up by the one line: same ****, different day.

People who think they see a UFO every time they look up, will no doubt continue to see a UFO every time they look up, much like Bigfoot believers tend to see 'Squatch activity every time they take a stroll through the shrubbery behind the local supermarket, or ghost believers see evidence of haunting's in every abandoned building they enter, because...cobwebs.

The trouble is, the UFO hunters have about as much evidence as the Bigfooters and the ghost wranglers.

Naught point naught pence.

0.0p

This is why they get fingers pointed at them and hear the constantly audible giggle of a person who's heard it all before with cherries on top and at this point is basically joining in for a laugh.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 07:45 AM   #89
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

And that is fine. But KOTA claims they are reality. All of them. Atlantis was in Spain, in Morocco, in the med, in the mid atlantic, in Greece, in the middle east, somewhere, possibly North America, maybe Japan.

Wherever it was, those ancient spacefaring human ancestors climbed on their spaceships and left, living aboard ship for thousands of years and avoiding all contact with the human remnant on earth because...reasons. They have been hiding and playing a celestial game of peek-a-boo because that is how they get their jollies.

Inevitably, the argument will be made that humanity is not ready to handle such advanced technology, but that makes it worse. These imaginary Atlanteans are hiding behind the Sun and simply don't care about anyone on Earth. That makes them malevolent. They are thus simply waiting to take over when we die off. Even that is odd. Why wait when they could wipe us out at a whim?

It is certain that there will be various CMEs, flares etc as occurs at every eclipse. The crank fraternity will variously interpret those as god, angels, spirits, aliens, advanced humans, pixies and whatever you like. It happens at every eclipse. Nothing ever comes of it.
Old 16th August 2017, 07:04 PM   #90
King of the Americas
Philosopher

If you believe UFO's are hoaxes, misidentifications, or some other debunking explanation...then peer at the eclipse (*with protective eye gear) and a camera in hand...

UFO's are a real non-human phenomena driven by an intelligent force.

If you are interested, evidence will appear shortly.
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 07:53 PM   #91
Kid Eager
Philosopher

If you believe UFO's are hoaxes, misidentifications, or some other debunking explanation...then peer at the eclipse (*with protective eye gear) and a camera in hand...

If you are interested, evidence will appear shortly.
Cool assertion, bro... What form will this evdence take? And why?
Old 17th August 2017, 05:10 AM   #92
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

That said, I do not believe in aliens, but rather a pre-modern civilization capable of space flight, that escaped earth's last great cataclysm, 'into the heavens.'

Which is it? Humans from an earlier, undocumented, technologically advanced civilization, or intelligent non-humans?
Or are we getting into Lovecraft territory, with ancient non-human civilizations that dominated the Earth before the evolution of Humanity. Elder Things, Yithians, Serpent Men, Flying Polyps...
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 05:33 AM   #93
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...r-electricity/

Power outages due to solar power/solar eclipse has little to do with lack of power and more to do with hard to anticipate fluctuations in power generation. Unless major solar farms are taking off the grid for the duration, the fast loss and return of power could very well cause enough imbalance in some states to trigger emergency shutdowns.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 05:39 AM   #94
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Which is it? Humans from an earlier, undocumented, technologically advanced civilization, or intelligent non-humans?
Or are we getting into Lovecraft territory, with ancient non-human civilizations that dominated the Earth before the evolution of Humanity. Elder Things, Yithians, Serpent Men, Flying Polyps...
I don't know.

I know I am human. I know human pilots cannot withstand the g-forces associated with the arial maneuvers I witnessed.

My conclusion is that they were non-human intelligently driven objects.

Grays, sons of god, men of renown, I simply don't have a definition for things I know nothing of.
Old 17th August 2017, 06:19 AM   #95
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I know I am human. I know human pilots cannot withstand the g-forces associated with the arial maneuvers I witnessed.

How did you rule out the alternative, and on the face of it far more likely, conclusion that you misinterpreted whatever it was you witnessed?
Old 17th August 2017, 06:39 AM   #96
Tolls
Illuminator

Really, there's no need to do any of that.,
There's going to be a ton of images and footage of the event as there normally is when it's not in the middle of nowhere. There's loads online.

And nary a one is populated by aliens playing peek-a-boo.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 06:45 AM   #97
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I don't know.

Grays, sons of god, men of renown, I simply don't have a definition for things I know nothing of.
Oh for crying out loud!

There is no way that a person can determine the G loading on an aircraft simply by looking at it without having a good bit of supplemental data as well. Such as the radius of the turn, the speed of the turn, and so on.

Also, there are military aircraft which do all sorts of maneuvers that are quite astounding, but are entirely possible to do.

All that you have done is see funny points of light in the sky which could have been any number of things and now you are assuming that these funny points of light are actually aircraft/spacecraft of some sort and that you can determine the G loading of these craft simply by looking at them.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 08:26 AM   #98
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Remember, if it's an Atlantean UFO it'll have a menorah painted on the side.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 09:38 AM   #99
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Oh for crying out loud!

There is no way that a person can determine the G loading on an aircraft simply by looking at it without having a good bit of supplemental data as well. Such as the radius of the turn, the speed of the turn, and so on.

Also, there are military aircraft which do all sorts of maneuvers that are quite astounding, but are entirely possible to do.

All that you have done is see funny points of light in the sky which could have been any number of things and now you are assuming that these funny points of light are actually aircraft/spacecraft of some sort and that you can determine the G loading of these craft simply by looking at them.
I've piloted a single engine aircraft (never land or took off). I've seen F-22 Raptors at air shows do tight turns, and I am able to identify different types of heavenly objects with objective lens.

What I saw performed maneuvers the would have killed human pilots.
Old 17th August 2017, 10:07 AM   #100
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I've piloted a single engine aircraft (never land or took off). I've seen F-22 Raptors at air shows do tight turns, and I am able to identify different types of heavenly objects with objective lens.

I am a IFR licensed pilot who used to own one airplane and have a partial ownership of another plane, and I have taken off and landed planes hundreds of times. I also spent over three years on an aircraft carrier, I have been to number of air shows, I have studied all sorts of planes, so I have seen planes do sorts of things as well.

And I still say that you are talking a load of crap.

You do not even know if what you saw was actually a manned aircraft or not. It could have been a drone, a missile, a helicopter, a plane equipped with thrust vectoring, RPV, or something completely different.

People have reported all sorts of strange things in sky for thousands of years, and yet there is not even one case which shows that what is seen is somehow the product of some sort of non-human civilization.

So if you can actually provide any evidence for your claim, then do so.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 10:19 AM   #101
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
It will get dark in certain parts of the country.
But how do it know?

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 10:28 AM   #102
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

King of The Americas, you still haven't addressed why this eclipse is any different to the 17 previous eclipses in the last 7 years. Why will this eclipse result in UFO sightings when previous ones have not? What is special about this one?

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 10:37 AM   #103
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Likewise, the mental gymnastics that you seem to be performing would be likely to kill any remaining common sense.

Old 17th August 2017, 01:56 PM   #104
Senex
Philosopher

My prediction for the coming eclipse is I'll be lined up with other eclipse viewers with dark glasses and a Cindy Crawford look alike will goose me during the darkest part of the eclipse.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 02:07 PM   #105
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Senex View Post
My prediction for the coming eclipse is I'll be lined up with other eclipse viewers with dark glasses and a Cindy Crawford Rachel Riley look alike will goose me during the darkest part of the eclipse.
Same.

Old 17th August 2017, 02:46 PM   #106
TheSapient
Critical Thinker

I predict I will have already purchased a pack of 10 glasses to distribute to my coworkers, but it will be cloudy and rainy and we won't get to see anything and I will already be depressed about it several days in advance and I will write something about it on a skeptics forum.
TheSapient is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 02:58 PM   #107
Kid Eager
Philosopher

I don't know.

Arial maneuvers are the worst. I much prefer a serif font.
Old 17th August 2017, 03:46 PM   #108
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I am a IFR licensed pilot who used to own one airplane and have a partial ownership of another plane, and I have taken off and landed planes hundreds of times. I also spent over three years on an aircraft carrier, I have been to number of air shows, I have studied all sorts of planes, so I have seen planes do sorts of things as well.

And I still say that you are talking a load of crap.

You do not even know if what you saw was actually a manned aircraft or not. It could have been a drone, a missile, a helicopter, a plane equipped with thrust vectoring, RPV, or something completely different.

People have reported all sorts of strange things in sky for thousands of years, and yet there is not even one case which shows that what is seen is somehow the product of some sort of non-human civilization.

So if you can actually provide any evidence for your claim, then do so.
Evidence of my claim? You're funny.

I've been on that marry-go-round. Any evidence presented will be dismissed as fakery, forgery, an outright lies. Videos, photos, other eyewitness testimony are not evidence, here.

I saw "star-like objects, move with a constant velocity and make right angle turns." I've never seen any craft man-made, piloted or not, are capable of the maneuvers I saw.

My only conclusion was that they were not ours.
Old 17th August 2017, 03:49 PM   #109
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
King of The Americas, you still haven't addressed why this eclipse is any different to the 17 previous eclipses in the last 7 years. Why will this eclipse result in UFO sightings when previous ones have not? What is special about this one?
You are wrong. UFO sightings are common with eclipses.

That's why I made the prediction.

Astronomical events cause a lot of people to look up. UFO's have tended be be associated with these events.
Old 17th August 2017, 03:51 PM   #110
King of the Americas
Philosopher

My prediction for the coming eclipse is I'll be lined up with other eclipse viewers with dark glasses and a Cindy Crawford look alike will goose me during the darkest part of the eclipse.
I predict your prediction will NOT come true.

*Sorry. If you tell me where you'll be watching, i can send you a poor-man's Lindsay Lohan?

Last edited by King of the Americas; 17th August 2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 17th August 2017, 04:24 PM   #111
Dumb All Over

Videos, photos, other eyewitness testimony are not evidence, here.
What are you talking about? Of course those things are evidence, here and everywhere. Whether they are good evidence or bad evidence has yet to be determined. Present your evidence and let's discuss.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 04:41 PM   #112
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

That there will be multiple sightings...video footage, pictures, multiple witnesses, from across the path of the eclipse.

So, if people unfamiliar with looking at the sky all look at the sky, some will see things they can't identify.

Fascinating.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 04:46 PM   #113
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
So, if people unfamiliar with looking at the sky all look at the sky, some will see things they can't identify.

Fascinating.
What are you taking about? He's a subject matter expert - he's seen F-22s ferkrissakes!!!!
Old 17th August 2017, 04:54 PM   #114
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Stand-bye for more credible comments from people having more critical thought processes.
Old 17th August 2017, 05:14 PM   #115
Senex
Philosopher

*Sorry. If you tell me where you'll be watching, i can send you a poor-man's Lindsay Lohan?
Well beggars can't be choosers. I'll be watching at Wesleyan University. I'll have the yellow boutonniere.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 05:23 PM   #116
Senex
Philosopher

Well beggars can't be choosers. I'll be watching at Wesleyan University. I'll have the yellow boutonniere.
Old 17th August 2017, 05:28 PM   #117
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Both of you?
Old 17th August 2017, 05:30 PM   #118
Dumb All Over

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Both of you?
See what an eclipse can do to a person?
Old 17th August 2017, 07:01 PM   #119
King of the Americas
Philosopher

No poop!? That's just down the road! I'll send you a twofer!.

Sorry to hear you turned Aggie.
Old 17th August 2017, 07:17 PM   #120
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

Fascinating.
Yes, and many who are experienced and knowledgable about aircraft will also be baffled.

Peer for yourself, and offer your explanation for what you shall see.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal