ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags extraterrestrials , ufos

Old 17th August 2017, 08:12 PM   #121
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Yes, and many who are experienced and knowledgable about aircraft will also be baffled.

Peer for yourself, and offer your explanation for what you shall see.
I'm having flashbacks to reviewing aircraft recognition photographs and rules to learn how to distinguish MIG-25 from F-15 from F-14 from F-111 from F-18 at various distances and attitudes.

There's quite a distance between being "knowledgeable about aircraft" (whatever that is supposed to mean) and being able to recognise any aircraft at a glance, let alone its altitude and attitude...
Old 17th August 2017, 08:44 PM   #122
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Yes, and many who are experienced and knowledgable about aircraft will also be baffled.

No amount of experience allows you to judge the relative size or speed of something somewhere in the sky without first knowing, at least generally, what it is. That's why pilots see so many UFO's - they honestly can't identify the object without a sense of scale.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 11:03 PM   #123
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I saw "star-like objects, move with a constant velocity and make right angle turns." I've never seen any craft man-made, piloted or not, are capable of the maneuvers I saw.

My only conclusion was that they were not ours.
Or maybe they were much smaller and closer than you were assuming, in which case the maneuvers were not as remarkable as you thought.

Or maybe it's your assumption that they were objects that is mistaken, and they were actually odd reflections of lights from below.

The only thing you can say for certain is that you saw something in the sky that you could not identify. You have no basis whatsoever for drawing any conclusion about what it was you saw.
Old 17th August 2017, 11:11 PM   #124
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Duplicate
Old 18th August 2017, 02:04 AM   #125
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Well, I shan't be out watching the eclipse because we don't get it here.

I used to work with someone who spent his spare time looking at the sky, and saw many flying objects, but none remained unidentified. He was part of the Royal Observer Corps, so if he saw something unusual, he had the full resources of the MOD and other organisations to help identify it.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 02:31 AM   #126
Tolls
Illuminator

Again.
We don't have to peer.
There is a ton of footage online of other eclipses, so these aliens should be identifiable on there.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 04:27 AM   #127
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
No amount of experience allows you to judge the relative size or speed of something somewhere in the sky without first knowing, at least generally, what it is. That's why pilots see so many UFO's - they honestly can't identify the object without a sense of scale.
Yes, I agree.

I didn't say I knew what it was.

I said I knew it what it wasn't.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 05:19 AM   #128
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Evidence of my claim? You're funny.

I've been on that marry-go-round. Any evidence presented will be dismissed as fakery, forgery, an outright lies. Videos, photos, other eyewitness testimony are not evidence, here.

I saw "star-like objects, move with a constant velocity and make right angle turns." I've never seen any craft man-made, piloted or not, are capable of the maneuvers I saw.

My only conclusion was that they were not ours.
Thanks much for the reply and I figured as much.

You saw some funny points of light at night with no references, no size information, no altitude information, no speed information, no distance information, no corroboration, and yet you are absolutely sure that these points of lights are actually highly advanced aircraft of some sort.

So in other words, you fully admit that you do not know what you are talking about and yet you fully expect everyone to accept your incredible conclusions which are based on your incredible ignorance.

This is about as bad as the time you ran for mayor and got eleven votes.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 05:41 AM   #129
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

I remember reading an account by someone who walked out onto their porch in the morning and saw a number of large silver spheres hovering high above them in the sky. Then their eyes refocused, and they realized they were looking at drops of dew on a spider web a couple feet in front of their face.
Then there was the ring-shaped UFO that was hovering over a crowded amusement park in Virginia back in 2009 (which only one person apparently managed to film). If you view the video, it bears a striking resemblance to a water droplet on a window a short distance from the camera lens.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 08:02 AM   #130
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Evidence of my claim? You're funny.

I've been on that marry-go-round. Any evidence presented will be dismissed as fakery, forgery, an outright lies. Videos, photos, other eyewitness testimony are not evidence, here..
It might be, if you lunatics could learn how to obtain decent evidence for these magical things that you blather on about...

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 08:29 AM   #131
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Thanks much for the reply and I figured as much.

You saw some funny points of light at night with no references, no size information, no altitude information, no speed information, no distance information, no corroboration, and yet you are absolutely sure that these points of lights are actually highly advanced aircraft of some sort.

So in other words, you fully admit that you do not know what you are talking about and yet you fully expect everyone to accept your incredible conclusions which are based on your incredible ignorance.

This is about as bad as the time you ran for mayor and got eleven votes.
Your assertions of "no" are misplaced.

I admit no such thing. Quite the contrary. I claim some knowledge about how terrestrial craft operate, how to identify various craft, and the requirements that our craft must "arch" through the air.

My training in spotting the differences between planes, satellites, weather balloons, and falling debris is not certified or enumerate through degrees, but to say I lack any ability to collect evidence and determine a UFO's origin is pure bull butter.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 08:31 AM   #132
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

How about your credentials for identifying ancient Earth cultures that have migrated into space to play hide and seek?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 08:31 AM   #133
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

but to say I lack any ability to collect evidence and determine a UFO's origin is pure bull butter.
I'd say that "bull butter" is in you claiming that humans left the earth thousands of years ago and flew into space, and are returning every now and again during eclipses to send us vague messages. In fact, that's not mere bull butter, it's absolute bollocks of the most embarrassing kind.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 08:42 AM   #134
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
It might be, if you lunatics could learn how to obtain decent evidence for these magical things that you blather on about...
I've had this discussion here before...

What 'evidence' are you prepared to accept, short of an E.T. body?

What evidence besides a photograph or a video could I possibly present, here?

If I did that, the video would be claimed as a forgery or fake, as with a photo. There are hundreds of such videos and photos available already online. This, as stipulated by the debunking community, "is not evidence."
Old 18th August 2017, 08:46 AM   #135
King of the Americas
Philosopher

I'd say that "bull butter" is in you claiming that humans left the earth thousands of years ago and flew into space, and are returning every now and again during eclipses to send us vague messages. In fact, that's not mere bull butter, it's absolute bollocks of the most embarrassing kind.
What phenomena do you believe is the likely cause of UFO sightings? Like the one that appear over the Rock of the Mt., that suddenly zoomed up and away? Many witnesses saw it, and captured it from multiple angles with video and photographs.
Old 18th August 2017, 08:47 AM   #136
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I've had this discussion here before...

What 'evidence' are you prepared to accept, short of an E.T. body?

What evidence besides a photograph or a video could I possibly present, here?

If I did that, the video would be claimed as a forgery or fake, as with a photo. There are hundreds of such videos and photos available already online. This, as stipulated by the debunking community, "is not evidence."
Something that can't be explained away as a solar flare, space debris, or other more rational explanations that aren't "advanced humans from the past."

More to the point, what evidence do you actually have for such a thing as an advanced race of historic humans who managed to leave earth and colonize a distant planet?

Do you have any? I doubt it.

Bigfooters have more evidence than you guys, and that's frankly woeful, cos they've got naught point naught pence.

Old 18th August 2017, 08:47 AM   #137
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Your assertions of "no" are misplaced.

I admit no such thing. Quite the contrary. I claim some knowledge about how terrestrial craft operate, how to identify various craft, and the requirements that our craft must "arch" through the air.

My training in spotting the differences between planes, satellites, weather balloons, and falling debris is not certified or enumerate through degrees, but to say I lack any ability to collect evidence and determine a UFO's origin is pure bull butter.
Again. Kindly stop lying to yourself and everyone else.

You have flat-out said that what you saw was some sort of manned aircraft that did not come from us humans.

Of course you saw a UFO (unidentified flying object), but just because you saw a UFO that does not automatically mean that you saw some sort of non-human aircraft and/or spacecraft.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 08:48 AM   #138
StackOverflow
Scholar

What phenomena do you believe is the likely cause of UFO sightings?
It's called "Stupidity".
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 09:09 AM   #139
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Something that can't be explained away as a solar flare, space debris, or other more rational explanations that aren't "advanced humans from the past."

More to the point, what evidence do you actually have for such a thing as an advanced race of historic humans who managed to leave earth and colonize a distant planet?

Do you have any? I doubt it.

Bigfooters have more evidence than you guys, and that's frankly woeful, cos they've got naught point naught pence.
I dislike your presentation of my theory...

First, it took "us" modern humans less than a century to go from Kitty Hawk to the Moon. How long have we been in this form? Thousands upon thousands...? Isn't it MORE likely that the heavens are replete with different Us's, that a foreign interstellar visitor hasn't invaded and taken all of our precious metals and resources yet?

Advanced race, like Atlantis?
Old 18th August 2017, 09:12 AM   #140
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
It's called "Stupidity".
Ahhh...

Your post is interesting, in its appearance here, its content, and your use of "'s.

I would write a retort, but I think your post speaks for itself, and I need say no more.
Old 18th August 2017, 09:14 AM   #141
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I dislike your presentation of my theory...

First, it took "us" modern humans less than a century to go from Kitty Hawk to the Moon. How long have we been in this form? Thousands upon thousands...? Isn't it MORE likely that the heavens are replete with different Us's, that a foreign interstellar visitor hasn't invaded and taken all of our precious metals and resources yet?

Advanced race, like Atlantis?
You've used this "less than a century to go from Kitty Hawk to the Moon" line a few times, as though it actually means anything, lol.

No, it's not "more likely" that we have flooded the universe with our spaceships from yesteryear, in fact, that's about as likely as the idea that Loch Ness is home to a species of prehistoric sea creature, even less likely than the idea that California is home to a race of 10-foot-tall ape-men, and even more ridiculous than the idea that the earth is bloody flat.

So, you've no evidence after all, then?

Old 18th August 2017, 09:23 AM   #142
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

What phenomena do you believe is the likely cause of UFO sightings? Like the one that appear over the Rock of the Mt., that suddenly zoomed up and away? Many witnesses saw it, and captured it from multiple angles with video and photographs.
Errrr. You realise that was comprehensively debunked, right?
Old 18th August 2017, 09:24 AM   #143
StackOverflow
Scholar

Ahhh...

Your post is interesting, in its appearance here, its content, and your use of "'s.

I would write a retort, but I think your post speaks for itself, and I need say no more.
Awww, come on. I am giving you what you want: Attention.

You owe me a big fat "Thank you very very very much, StackOverflow, for giving me that juicy attention that I love so much".

So, hurry up and thank me.
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 10:00 AM   #144
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I remember reading an account by someone who walked out onto their porch in the morning and saw a number of large silver spheres hovering high above them in the sky. Then their eyes refocused, and they realized they were looking at drops of dew on a spider web a couple feet in front of their face.
Then there was the ring-shaped UFO that was hovering over a crowded amusement park in Virginia back in 2009 (which only one person apparently managed to film). If you view the video, it bears a striking resemblance to a water droplet on a window a short distance from the camera lens.

My favorite is the train engineer who frantically put his train in reverse because he saw another train coming towards him. It was Venus.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 12:47 PM   #145
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Again. Kindly stop lying to yourself and everyone else.

You have flat-out said that what you saw was some sort of manned aircraft that did not come from us humans.

Of course you saw a UFO (unidentified flying object), but just because you saw a UFO that does not automatically mean that you saw some sort of non-human aircraft and/or spacecraft.
C'mon....

Who you gonna believe?

The chief engineer on the Enterprise, or someone claiming to be North American Royalty?
Old 18th August 2017, 12:58 PM   #146
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

So, how did they build their spaceships with stone age technology?
Alternatively, where are the traces of a global advanced industrial society that would be needed to build spaceships?
If we find pottery and bone fragments from the dawn of mankind, where are all the huge ports, nuclear reactors and strip mines?

You're asking us what kind of evidence we'd be willing to accept, but that's only because you have none to offer.
Do you let us make the first move and then you criticize that to deflect attention away from your lack of evidence.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 05:28 PM   #147
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
Awww, come on. I am giving you what you want: Attention.

You owe me a big fat "Thank you very very very much, StackOverflow, for giving me that juicy attention that I love so much".

So, hurry up and thank me.
Let me check my pocket...yeah I've got a little left...

You can have this *scorn.*
Old 18th August 2017, 05:37 PM   #148
King of the Americas
Philosopher

You've used this "less than a century to go from Kitty Hawk to the Moon" line a few times, as though it actually means anything, lol.

No, it's not "more likely" that we have flooded the universe with our spaceships from yesteryear, in fact, that's about as likely as the idea that Loch Ness is home to a species of prehistoric sea creature, even less likely than the idea that California is home to a race of 10-foot-tall ape-men, and even more ridiculous than the idea that the earth is bloody flat.

So, you've no evidence after all, then?
How likely are Neanderthals for the bigfoot sightings?

If their habitat never disappeared, maybe they didn't either?

I think less than one hundred years to achieve inner space flight is a rather short period when you consider how long humanity has existed as we do.
Old 18th August 2017, 05:38 PM   #149
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Yet to establish credibility of Atlantis hypothesis, yet uses it as a fait accompli to explain something else where the conclusion is only supported by assertions.

The performance doesn't change, even though the topic does...
Old 18th August 2017, 05:44 PM   #150
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I think less than one hundred years to achieve inner space flight is a rather short period when you consider how long humanity has existed as we do.
Non-sequitur stacked on non-sequitur stacked on false dichotomy. Actors in gorilla suits are more likely than either modern neanderthals or bigfoots.
Old 19th August 2017, 04:28 AM   #151
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

The Neanderthals aren't likely at all, since they weren't 7-10 feet-tall, didn't have exceedingly long arms, used tools and generally were more human-like in their behaviour, which Bigfoot apparently isn't, since it doesn't use fire, tools, or anything remotely useful for a creature living in the wilderness, which makes it all the more silly when you actually think about it.

There's an argument that the Bigfoot of Russia and parts of Asia, which equally doesn't exist, is inspired by stories of such relic humans as Neanderthals, but the chances of Neanderthals inspiring stories of giants of the PNW are slim and none, and slim just buggered off.

You could say that less than a hundred years is too short a span for us to achieve anything we've achieved, and it seems true when you think of it without actually using your melon and properly understanding what we have achieved, and why we achieved it, rather than the span we've achieved it in.

To assume that we've done nothing as a race is to sully our achievements and simply muddy the waters of human achievement as a whole.

On the other hand, we've far more evidence of our own technological achievements than we have for a far less likely scenario where ancient humans suddenly developed the power to fly into space. I mean, do you even think about that stuff rationally, or is it just romantically?

Old 19th August 2017, 05:29 AM   #152
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Non-sequitur stacked on non-sequitur stacked on false dichotomy. Actors in gorilla suits are more likely than either modern neanderthals or bigfoots.
Okay, but if it's NOT a hoax, and they HAD to exist, the mostly likely source is a super-smart, tracker-like network of Neanderthals that use forests and adjoining nature-scapes to move around. These were those who survived the man-hunts, those who covered their tracks, travel in trees or on rocks, collected their dead, and knew how to detect and avoid humans.

if you look at a national picture of reported sightings, you can see pathways...a network.

I think this is far more likely than idiots taking a chance of becoming someone's wall art.

Last edited by King of the Americas; 19th August 2017 at 05:46 AM.
Old 19th August 2017, 07:09 AM   #153
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Okay, but if it's NOT a hoax, and they HAD to exist, the mostly likely source is a super-smart, tracker-like network of Neanderthals that use forests and adjoining nature-scapes to move around. These were those who survived the man-hunts, those who covered their tracks, travel in trees or on rocks, collected their dead, and knew how to detect and avoid humans.

if you look at a national picture of reported sightings, you can see pathways...a network.

I think this is far more likely than idiots taking a chance of becoming someone's wall art.
What on earth are you talking about now? lol.

So, you think Neanderthals were akin to fur-covered, long-armed ape-men who stood between 7 and 10 foot-tall? Where exactly do you get your history from? Atlantians going into space, Neanderthals suddenly turning into giant ape-men...where does this nonsense end?

Literally everything you just typed is absolute drivel, mate. Traveling in the trees or on rocks? Collecting their dead? Dafuq are you on about?

Old 19th August 2017, 07:11 AM   #154
carlitos
"más divertido"

Look skyward during the eclipse (with protective eyewear), and your camera...
The aliens blew off your invitation to appear during the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics in 2012. What's different with the eclipse? Do the aliens need us to have those special glasses to see them?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2017, 07:15 AM   #155
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Or maybe they were much smaller and closer than you were assuming, in which case the maneuvers were not as remarkable as you thought.

Or maybe it's your assumption that they were objects that is mistaken, and they were actually odd reflections of lights from below.

The only thing you can say for certain is that you saw something in the sky that you could not identify. You have no basis whatsoever for drawing any conclusion about what it was you saw.
When I have time, I'll dig up the various versions of this anecdote that have been posted here. It's now been enough time posting here to see how his story has really changed over time. I think that it might be illustrative as to the failings of human memory.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2017, 07:17 AM   #156
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Right.

http://blogs.forteana.org/node/100
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2017, 08:27 AM   #157
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No if they had to exist they would have to have the characteristics those that claim they do exist say they do so no they could not be Neanderthals.
Old 19th August 2017, 09:02 AM   #158
comncents
Critical Thinker

I predict that bigfoot will accidently stare at the eclipse and become blinded...thus allowing Rick Dyer to capture him.
Old 19th August 2017, 09:13 AM   #159
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Okay, but if it's NOT a hoax, and they HAD to exist...

But it is and they don't so the rest of your post was plucked from a nether orifice. And is off-topic.
Old 19th August 2017, 10:11 AM   #160
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
But it is and they don't so the rest of your post was plucked from a nether orifice. And is off-topic.
It's associated, as the logic behind both of my assumptions are based is "the mostly likely reality, if there is an X-entity"-theory.

Loch Ness doesn't have enough fish to support a large animal...so if Nessy is real, there must be an ocean access point.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal