ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags extraterrestrials , ufos

Old 19th August 2017, 10:16 AM   #161
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
It's associated, as the logic behind both of my assumptions are based is "the mostly likely reality, if there is an X-entity"-theory.

Loch Ness doesn't have enough fish to support a large animal...so if Nessy is real, there must be an ocean access point.
But the "most likely reality" for the non-existent Bigfoot would clearly not be the average-sized, non fur-covered, normal-dimensions, tool-using, fire-making, Neanderthal.

And Loch Ness does have access to the sea, which is why you have large fish occasioning the loch itself from time-to-time, not that that makes the idea of a "Monster" any more likely.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2017, 06:15 PM   #162
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You are wrong. UFO sightings are common with eclipses.

That's why I made the prediction.
You made a prediction that a common occurrence will occur?

Good job.
Old 19th August 2017, 06:42 PM   #163
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

Good job.
Old 20th August 2017, 05:46 AM   #164
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

It's associated, as the logic behind both of my assumptions are based is "the mostly likely reality, if there is an X-entity"-theory.

Loch Ness doesn't have enough fish to support a large animal...so if Nessy is real, there must be an ocean access point.
You're confusing "if it had to be real, the following convoluted origin story might be true." With "This convoluted origin story is the most likely reason for the claims/sightings", and then you argue from there.
What you need is evidence.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2017, 10:00 AM   #165
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

I think we'll see thousands of disappointed people who are expecting a full solar eclipse in their area. In my patch of the world the eclipse will be 60%, with heavy cloud cover. I'm glad I didn't buy the expensive viewing glasses.

Last edited by Audible Click; 20th August 2017 at 10:04 AM.
Audible Click is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2017, 07:26 PM   #166
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I will go far out on a limb and make a firm prediction: I will be in Portland, OR. And will not see any UFO's.
Old 21st August 2017, 05:34 AM   #167
Drewbot
Philosopher

Most spoken phrases today:

Oops I looked.

It's OK just use your peripheral vision.

It buuuuuuuuuurns...
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 08:46 AM   #168
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin

Mod Warning
  1. Knock off the personalizations. I don't really care if you think the other poster really, really, REALLY deserves it, it's still against the rules.
  2. Really? Bigfoot? Do we have to drag them into this?
  3. There is no point 3
Posted By:kmortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 10:04 AM   #169
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Any UFO spotting on the left coast yet?
Old 21st August 2017, 10:19 AM   #170
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Any UFO spotting on the left coast yet?
UFO hunters tend to see them on most days, tbh. I bet KotA has seen at least 7 this past weekend alone. Look to the skies, man.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 10:49 AM   #171
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

The BBC showed some live pictures of the eclipse (from Oregon) on the 6pm news. There were no UFOs.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 11:16 AM   #172
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs

BREAKING NEWS!

Mass Hysteria Follows Eclipse, UFOs!

USA (Monday): Coast-to-coast appearances of UFOs that were obviously under intelligent control and not made by man spectacularly failed to appear in conjunction with Monday’s eclipse, sparking widesperead, hysterical panic in those who thought “this time for sure.”

Myron Maroon of Skinny Nag, OK, traveled more than seven hundred miles to be in the path of the eclipse. In his self-published book Proctologists from Beyond, he declares that the case for nonhuman, non-hoaxed, non-misunidentified UFOs is airtight. “The operators of these crafts,” he wrote, “are super intelligent! What else could account for their being able to shove things up people’s keisters while simultaneously slaughtering cattle and making hairy bipeds do Riverdance numbers in America’s forests? No other known creature could possibly kill a cow!”

Maroon had predicted “Millions and thousands of UFO sightings, with clear photographs, unambiguous evidence, and maybe some 8x10s signed by the Antimen of Dimension X.” The fact that none of that developed, he said, “Nails down my theory. These beings are so intelligent they didn’t even show up!”

Meanwhile the moon went on its way, getting first in front of, and then out of the way of, the sun. That’s what causes eclipses.

“If,” Maroon says darkly, “you believe the so-called scientists!”

Good enough for most of us, Mr. M. Good enough for most of us.

Last edited by Spektator; 21st August 2017 at 11:17 AM.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 11:38 AM   #173
Steve
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
BREAKING NEWS!

USA (Monday): Coast-to-coast appearances of UFOs that were obviously under intelligent control and not made by man spectacularly failed to appear in conjunction with Monday’s eclipse, sparking widesperead, hysterical panic in those who thought “this time for sure.”

Myron Maroon of Skinny Nag, OK, traveled more than seven hundred miles to be in the path of the eclipse. In his self-published book Proctologists from Beyond, he declares that the case for nonhuman, non-hoaxed, non-misunidentified UFOs is airtight. “The operators of these crafts,” he wrote, “are super intelligent! What else could account for their being able to shove things up people’s keisters while simultaneously slaughtering cattle and making hairy bipeds do Riverdance numbers in America’s forests? No other known creature could possibly kill a cow!”

Maroon had predicted “Millions and thousands of UFO sightings, with clear photographs, unambiguous evidence, and maybe some 8x10s signed by the Antimen of Dimension X.” The fact that none of that developed, he said, “Nails down my theory. These beings are so intelligent they didn’t even show up!”

Meanwhile the moon went on its way, getting first in front of, and then out of the way of, the sun. That’s what causes eclipses.

This should be nominated for....something. I have no idea what?!!?
Old 21st August 2017, 11:45 AM   #174
StackOverflow
Student

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
BREAKING NEWS!

Beautiful!

I hope you already are a writer of some sort because if not , you should be!
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 11:50 AM   #175
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs

Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
Beautiful!

I hope you already are a writer of some sort because if not , you should be!
I am a writer of some sort and wish I could flog my books here. But that would be revealing what Man (or evidently the book-buying public) Was Not Meant to Know.
Old 21st August 2017, 01:18 PM   #176
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I was wrong. There were indeed, UFO's.
Old 21st August 2017, 02:18 PM   #177
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Also:

Quote:
Was outside observing the solar eclipse when i stopped to make sure i don’t trip over i observe a dark object in the sky it moved northwest pausing and slowing moving north lost it in the clouds as it moved north. made no sound, was not a bird and moved with no sound nor lights.
source

Well, I'm convinced.
Old 21st August 2017, 03:07 PM   #178
Cat Not Included
Scholar

I don't know.

I know I am human. I know human pilots cannot withstand the g-forces associated with the arial maneuvers I witnessed.

My conclusion is that they were non-human intelligently driven objects.

Grays, sons of god, men of renown, I simply don't have a definition for things I know nothing of.
I think some diagrams of what an object that is sufficiently far away to only look like a point source of light would look like as it made different heading changes would be quite useful here. To give us a frame of reference, can you perhaps show a simple drawing or diagram of where this object appeared to moving relative to your viewpoint and how it changed movement?
Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 04:44 PM   #179
Cat Not Included
Scholar

Well, holy cow! There was indeed very clear photographic sightings and reliable evidence of an advanced flying object passing in front of the eclipse!

Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 05:30 PM   #180
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
"That's no moon..."
Old 21st August 2017, 05:33 PM   #181
fromdownunder
Philosopher

"That's no moon..."
It's two African Swallows migrating a coconut.

Norm

fromdownunder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 06:14 PM   #182
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cat Not Included View Post
Well, holy cow! There was indeed very clear photographic sightings and reliable evidence of an advanced flying object passing in front of the eclipse!

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2...trip=all&w=640
ISS?
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 06:50 PM   #183
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's no coincidence that the eclipse ended over the Atlantic Ocean right near the Canary Islands where Atlantis is rumored to be.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 06:51 PM   #184
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

"That's no moon..."
I have a bad feeling about this.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 06:54 PM   #185
Cat Not Included
Scholar

ISS?
Yep. Quite identified. And quite cool!
Old 21st August 2017, 07:08 PM   #186
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cat Not Included View Post
Yep. Quite identified. And quite cool!
Indeed!

It got dusky, here, so I've heard. :/
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 07:11 PM   #187
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Good job.
Isn't science, just observation, measurement, then prediction based on those findings?
Old 21st August 2017, 07:14 PM   #188
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I will go far out on a limb and make a firm prediction: I will be in Portland, OR. And will not see any UFO's.
Did you see naked hippies dancing around oak trees and doing purification rituals and such. That seems like the thing to do in Portland during an eclipse.
Old 22nd August 2017, 08:16 AM   #189
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Did you see naked hippies dancing around oak trees and doing purification rituals and such. That seems like the thing to do in Portland during an eclipse.
Dang, maybe I should have taken the glasses off and looked around!
Old 23rd August 2017, 03:53 PM   #190
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Isn't science, just observation, measurement, then prediction based on those findings?
You also claimed all sorts of things about how you had seen space vehicles, that there are people from Atlantis, and that some sort of pre-humans had obtained space travel.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2017, 03:58 PM   #191
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
You also claimed all sorts of things about how you had seen space vehicles, that there are people from Atlantis, and that some sort of pre-humans had obtained space travel.
Abject cock wombling in other words. Call a spade a spade.
Old 24th August 2017, 03:18 AM   #192
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

That there will be multiple sightings...video footage, pictures, multiple witnesses, from across the path of the eclipse.
Were there?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 03:21 AM   #193
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Were there?
No.
Old 24th August 2017, 07:48 AM   #194
jrhowell
Thinker

No.
So, with the prediction having been proven wrong, will King of the Americas now revise the hypothesis (alien visitors) that led to this prediction?
jrhowell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 07:56 AM   #195
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
So, with the prediction having been proven wrong, will King of the Americas now revise the hypothesis (alien visitors) that led to this prediction?
Don't count on it.

Old 24th August 2017, 08:51 AM   #196
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Were there?
No.
That's what THEY want you to think!
Old 24th August 2017, 09:47 AM   #197
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Peer skyward during the eclipse if you seek evidence.

Okay, did that.

What's the next step?
Old 24th August 2017, 09:50 AM   #198
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Okay, did that.

What's the next step?
Stick your underpants on your head and shout unintelligible words as loud as possible.

Old 24th August 2017, 11:56 AM   #199
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Stick your underpants on your head and shout unintelligible words as loud as possible.
Don't forget the pencils in the ears. It's never as convincing without.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 12:20 PM   #200
Steve
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Don't forget the pencils in the ears. It's never as convincing without.
And try to remember - eraser end first.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal