ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags extraterrestrials , ufos

Old 24th August 2017, 12:31 PM   #201
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
And try to remember - eraser end first.
Spoilsport.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 12:43 PM   #202
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Spoilsport.
Old 24th August 2017, 12:51 PM   #203
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Okay, did that.

What's the next step?
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Stick your underpants on your head and shout unintelligible words as loud as possible.
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Don't forget the pencils in the ears. It's never as convincing without.
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
And try to remember - eraser end first.
This is far too many steps just to find alien life. Unless, are we really just trying to start a religion? This may actually work.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 04:44 PM   #204
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Okay, did that.
What's the next step?
Stick your underpants on your head and shout unintelligible words as loud as possible.
Don't forget the pencils in the ears. It's never as convincing without.
Wibble
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 05:41 AM   #205
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
You also claimed all sorts of things about how you had seen space vehicles, that there are people from Atlantis, and that some sort of pre-humans had obtained space travel.
One, you're derailing.

Two, that's a mischaracterization of what I posted, and my actual stance on those issues.

Three, I made this 'prediction' based on previous astronomical events and their correspondence with higher UFO sightings. It wasn't based on intuition or a feeling, or anything supernatural. This events was predicted to be seen by millions, and as a result the American economy suffered some 700 million dollars in lost revenue, because for a while everything/most things...stopped.

I am utterly surprised, shocked, and left wondering why I haven't heard of any sightings or video yet. Admittedly, I have not done any searches. I figure that would defeat the point. Anything you look for, you can find, usually. I was hope to hear of at least one massive sighting...
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 05:43 AM   #206
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Were there?
None that I have heard of, but I have not done any youtube searches yet.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 05:48 AM   #207
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
So, with the prediction having been proven wrong, will King of the Americas now revise the hypothesis (alien visitors) that led to this prediction?
My hypothesis is that UFO sightings are related to astronomical events.

Since this event was predicted to be a very large viewing, I used previous data to make this prediction.

This is just one event, and since I have not researched any actual results, I have not reached the 'Conclusion' portion of this study.
Old 28th August 2017, 05:58 AM   #208
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Okay, did that.

What's the next step?
What type of recording equipment did you employ?

Have you processed it and used any filters that might shine a different light on the event?
Old 28th August 2017, 08:48 AM   #209
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
You also claimed all sorts of things about how you had seen space vehicles, that there are people from Atlantis, and that some sort of pre-humans had obtained space travel.
One, you're derailing.

Two, that's a mischaracterization of what I posted, and my actual stance on those issues.
Really?

Well, I have seen "star-like objects move with a constant velocity and make right angle turns."

I surmise these were non-human piloted vehicles of some sort.

That said, I do not believe in aliens, but rather a pre-modern civilization capable of space flight, that escaped earth's last great cataclysm, 'into the heavens.'
I dislike your presentation of my theory...

First, it took "us" modern humans less than a century to go from Kitty Hawk to the Moon. How long have we been in this form? Thousands upon thousands...? Isn't it MORE likely that the heavens are replete with different Us's, that a foreign interstellar visitor hasn't invaded and taken all of our precious metals and resources yet?

Advanced race, like Atlantis?

I don't know.

I know I am human. I know human pilots cannot withstand the g-forces associated with the arial maneuvers I witnessed.

My conclusion is that they were non-human intelligently driven objects.

Grays, sons of god, men of renown, I simply don't have a definition for things I know nothing of.
Seems like a pretty fair summary of what you've said in this thread.
Which specific parts of Crossbow's post do you disagree with?
Old 28th August 2017, 09:19 AM   #210
Cat Not Included
Scholar

My hypothesis is that UFO sightings are related to astronomical events.

Since this event was predicted to be a very large viewing, I used previous data to make this prediction.

This is just one event, and since I have not researched any actual results, I have not reached the 'Conclusion' portion of this study.
So what are your metrics for UFO sightings on a "normal" basis when no unusual astronomical events are occurring?
Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 09:23 AM   #211
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

One, you're derailing.

Three, I made this 'prediction' based on previous astronomical events and their correspondence with higher UFO sightings. It wasn't based on intuition or a feeling, or anything supernatural. This events was predicted to be seen by millions, and as a result the American economy suffered some 700 million dollars in lost revenue, because for a while everything/most things...stopped.

I am utterly surprised, shocked, and left wondering why I haven't heard of any sightings or video yet. Admittedly, I have not done any searches. I figure that would defeat the point. Anything you look for, you can find, usually. I was hope to hear of at least one massive sighting...
Why are you surprised? You claimed that you went for a nap rather than observe the eclipse.
Old 28th August 2017, 09:48 AM   #212
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Really?

Seems like a pretty fair summary of what you've said in this thread.
Which specific parts of Crossbow's post do you disagree with?
*sigh* Please move this elsewhere...
Old 28th August 2017, 10:32 AM   #213
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Do you think that you might, in the light of this extremely clear negative result, consider re-examining the premises that led you to formulate your unsuccessful prediction?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 10:52 AM   #214
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

*sigh* Please move this elsewhere...
>sigh< Why? Don't you like to be reminded of what you said?
Old 29th August 2017, 01:29 AM   #215
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Admittedly, I have not done any searches.
Old 29th August 2017, 06:43 AM   #216
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

One, you're derailing.

I am not derailing, instead I am simply referring to what you claimed earlier.

And just in case you still do not recall what you claimed, then here it is ...

Well, I have seen "star-like objects move with a constant velocity and make right angle turns."

I surmise these were non-human piloted vehicles of some sort.

That said, I do not believe in aliens, but rather a pre-modern civilization capable of space flight, that escaped earth's last great cataclysm, 'into the heavens.'

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 09:35 PM   #217
EHocking
Philosopher

... This events was predicted to be seen by millions, and as a result the American economy suffered some 700 million dollars in lost revenue, because for a while everything/most things...stopped....
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 11:39 PM   #218
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Do you think that you might, in the light of this extremely clear negative result, consider re-examining the premises that led you to formulate your unsuccessful prediction?

Dave
I suppose running away from the thread, pretending the whole thing never happened and picking some alternative nonsense to bang on about in a different thread is also an option.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 11:44 PM   #219
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.......I am utterly surprised, shocked, and left wondering why I haven't heard of any sightings or video yet.......
You shouldn't be.You were warned often enough here.

You have deluded yourself into a belief system which has no basis in fact, made a prediction based on those delusions, and have seen that prediction spectacularly fail. Now is the time to reconsider your beliefs.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 12:52 AM   #220
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You have deluded yourself into a belief system which has no basis in fact, made a prediction based on those delusions, and have seen that prediction spectacularly fail. Now is the time to reconsider your beliefs.
Haha, good one!
Old 31st August 2017, 02:00 AM   #221
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...

That means your hypothesis failed - will you now alter your beliefs based on this new evidence?
Old 31st August 2017, 02:37 AM   #222
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That means your hypothesis failed - will you now alter your beliefs based on this new evidence?
That's the most optimistic thing I've read in weeks.
Old 3rd September 2017, 09:41 PM   #223
Jocko
Philosopher

It took 'us' less than 100 years to go from Kitty Hawk to Armstrong on the moon. How long have humans been on the earth in this form?

Actual 'Aliens' from another world would find us far too barbaric to mess with, not to mention no warp drive...

The mostly likely conclusion to what I saw was 'advance earth technology,' unknown to me.
Ah ha ha, I would suggest that advances in psychology and pharmacology are more relevant than astronomics here. Hello, Albert. Miss me?
Jocko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 12:13 AM   #224
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Sorry... hadn't opened the thread in a week, so I only just saw this...

... This events was predicted to be seen by millions, and as a result the American economy suffered some 700 million dollars in lost revenue, because for a while everything/most things...stopped.

Really?
Where the hell did this come from?
Imagination? Wild ass guess?

Or could it be true?

My first thought would be the opposite.
Most of the workers would have used vacation time.
And hundreds of otherwise sleepy-ish small to mid sized towns got large numbers of eclipse travelers in, patronizing the local shops and eateries (gas stations too, come to think of it).
Plus... thousands of out of the way RV parks, campgrounds and motels/hotels suddenly found themselves booked up.

I'd guess an absolute **** ton of disposable income got poured into the economy, thanks to the eclipse. Even more helpful... the where it got distributed.

Sure, a drop in the bucket that is the GDP, but certainly appreciated by who knows how many Mom & Pop establishments.
I'd be surprised if that was offset, nay... widely negated, by a half hour of "everything... stopped".
(that's a broad claim itself. I think I know what you meant, though I'd disagree.)

But I've been wrong before, will be again... show me the numbers KotA.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 4th September 2017 at 12:16 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 05:45 PM   #225
Jocko
Philosopher

Obviously the only possible cause for this dearth of confirmation of your expectations is a massive coverup operation, masterminded by me here at JockoCorp, deep inside Yucca Mountain.

Obviously.

I mean, the only other remote possibility is that it didn't happen at all.
Jocko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 05:50 PM   #226
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I think whatever production was lost was balanced by the boon in eclipse entrepreneur opportunities. I'd bet on a net profit.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 10:35 PM   #227
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I think whatever production was lost was balanced by the boon in eclipse entrepreneur opportunities. I'd bet on a net profit.
I think you're right. Especially in little Oregon towns.
Old 5th September 2017, 10:04 AM   #228
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jocko View Post
Obviously the only possible cause for this dearth of confirmation of your expectations is a massive coverup operation, masterminded by me here at JockoCorp, deep inside Yucca Mountain.

Obviously.

I mean, the only other remote possibility is that it didn't happen at all.

Given such disparate possibilities and the improbability of one, there can be only one logical conclusion, despite your pathetic attempt at misdirection.... you nefarious bastard.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 5th September 2017 at 10:06 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal