ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astrology , mind-reading tricks

Old 16th August 2017, 12:34 AM   #1
Bubba
Master Poster

Is possible that Magician guesses zodiac birth sign ?

(A stranger once guessed birth signs of people at dinner party including me.)

Magician guesses zodiac birth sign?

Google that, or go to FB video link below which supposedly shows a guy on street successfully guessing strangers signs.

Dont ask me.

The quote at bottom is from themagiccafe com/forums. It came up searching Magician guesses zodiac birth sign

https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/v...9623346727372/

Quote:
I have heard about this before, and it makes you wonder. If your boss used the method he told you, the bone structure and such, it's strange that he was right so often. I can't believe someone can see a difference in people like that. Michio Kushi claimed in his book "Your face never lies" that some decades ago it was possible to see in the shape of the head if someone was born in the spring, summer, autumn or winter. It was because the different foods available in different times of the year affect the body differently. He claimed it's harder nowadays, because we have so much imported food, that we can eat summer food in the winter etc.

It would really be interesting if there was something to this...
.Dont ask me.

(so of course you will)

Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 12:38 AM   #2
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

Dont ask me.

.Dont ask me.

(so of course you will)

/Thread
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 01:23 AM   #3
fagin
Illuminator

I once saw a magician saw a woman in half. Without killing her.

It was magical.
Old 16th August 2017, 01:46 AM   #4
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

(A stranger once guessed birth signs of people at dinner party including me.)

Magician guesses zodiac birth sign?

Google that, or go to FB video link below which supposedly shows a guy on street successfully guessing strangers signs.

Dont ask me.

The quote at bottom is from themagiccafe com/forums. It came up searching Magician guesses zodiac birth sign

https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/v...9623346727372/

.Dont ask me.

(so of course you will)

Of course it is possible. There are any number of techniques for doing this. Anyone can learn them.
Old 16th August 2017, 06:39 AM   #5
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Considering at the most it's a 1 in 12 guess. Yes, Yes it is.

As for the story, I have a better one. Hired magician once had me and 3 others select a card from not just one deck but any one of 5 decks. Impossibly he revealed not just the card but the color of the back of the card.

Work of demons I tell you.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 07:38 AM   #6
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Magician performs tricks on people in the street...

News at 11.

You ever see that David Blaine fella? He once threw a playing card through a window and into the display case of a jewelry store.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was the second-coming of our Lord Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 07:40 AM   #7
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

They cut out the part where he asks them their birth date.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 07:43 AM   #8
Monza
Alta Viro

Yeah I've seen these "magicians" perform impossible feats. Upon some research it seems that they use trickery. Who knew?

In all seriousness, many magicians (particularly within the mentalism variety) will provide false explanations. I've done this with simple card tricks by saying that I can read a poker face and tell when someone is lying. This is proven by having someone pick a card then having them say "no" to a series of cards that I show them and ask if it's theirs. Of course, I successfully tell them when they are lying and identify their card. In reality I am lying as I don't read their poker face at all. There are many (I mean a whole lot of) methods to "guess" someone's card.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 07:46 AM   #9
xjx388
Philosopher

I would say the secret has something to do with prior knowledge -hot reading. Perhaps something like his crew approaching people and obtaining a permission form for filming. The performer doesn't have to interact with crew or subject in order for this to work . . .

I seriously doubt that he simply approaches random people. However, there are several methods for doing even this but they require longer patter than what is shown here. The videos could, of course, be edited.

My money is on hot reading.
Old 16th August 2017, 07:52 AM   #10
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

A really good magician can make one wonder if what he is actually doing is a trick of some sort or if he actually does have some sort of paranormal powers.

However, every single magic trick that I have ever seen, has been the product of a trick that is used to perform ones magic act as opposed to the exercise of sort of paranormal power.

A man's best friend is his dogma.

Last edited by Crossbow; 16th August 2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 07:54 AM   #11
freedy
Thinker

I have had many people guess my star sign. And many people have got it right ... eventually.
freedy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 07:59 AM   #12
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by freedy View Post
I have had many people guess my star sign. And many people have got it right ... eventually.
Let me guess...

You're a Virgo?

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 08:40 AM   #13
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Let me guess...

You're a Virgo?

Don't be silly. He is clearly a Sagittarius.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 08:46 AM   #14
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
His posts are more Capricorn.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 08:48 AM   #15
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Monza View Post

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
His posts are more Capricorn.
I genuinely really want to know what his star sign is!

Old 16th August 2017, 09:01 AM   #16
RationalVetMed
Graduate Poster

Is possible that Magician guesses zodiac birth sign ?
Yes, if he or she is a rubbish magician. Actually, it's possible for anyone to guess someone's birth sign come to think of it.

'No Way to Treat a Friend: Lifting the Lid on Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine' book now available to order.
RationalVetMed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 09:03 AM   #17
philkensebben
Master Poster

What do you honestly think? Some people have super powers or its a trick?

Seriously, why is this even a discussion point? This is a conversation you have with children.
philkensebben is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 09:11 AM   #18
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by philkensebben View Post
What do you honestly think? Some people have super powers or its a trick?

Seriously, why is this even a discussion point? This is a conversation you have with children.
Bubba seems to thrive on non-topics, such as "have we been to the moon? Discuss..."

Old 16th August 2017, 09:32 AM   #19
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RationalVetMed View Post
Yes, if he or she is a rubbish magician. Actually, it's possible for anyone to guess someone's birth sign come to think of it.

With accuracy? I did it many years ago as a matter of course. I stopped when it became clear that some took it seriously. I couldn't do that.

Last weekend, my kids cajoled me into a full on Tarot reading. I was spot on.

"How do you explain that", I asked. "Wow, that was amazing" they answered.

"sure", I said "but I made all of it up out of whole cloth" you could too. Part foreknowledge, part probability, part cold reading/warm reading, part making ambiguous crap up out of whole cloth.

My kids were most impressed at my psychic prowess.

Up to the point when I explained myself.

I won't reveal a magicians secrets, but I have a certain joy when my progeny say "Wait just a minute"
Old 16th August 2017, 09:49 AM   #20
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
They cut out the part where he asks them their birth date.
Doh!

Thats it.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 09:52 AM   #21
Bubba
Master Poster

Bubba seems to thrive on non-topics, such as "have we been to the moon? Discuss..."
Wrong.

Surely you jest.

That thread was titled "Been to the moon?"

Rather than questioning Apollo, it was about how people know it happened without direct experience.

Last edited by Bubba; 16th August 2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 16th August 2017, 09:53 AM   #22
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Doh!

Thats it.
Seriously, though, do you watch Penn and Teller and come away questioning the very fabric of reality, or do you accept that people can be fooled by well-practiced trickery?

Old 16th August 2017, 09:54 AM   #23
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Wrong.

That thread was titled "Been to the moon?" and it was about how people know it happened without direct experience.
I know what the thread was titled, I wasn't quoting the title of the thread, hence the "discuss" part, lol.

The thread was clearly some half-assed attempt at getting another conspiracy thread going, oddly in the General Skepticism and Paranormal section.

Old 16th August 2017, 09:55 AM   #24
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

You ever see that David Blaine fella? He once threw a playing card through a window and into the display case of a jewelry store.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was the second-coming of our Lord Saviour, Jesus Christ.

You joke, but I've met people who believe that David Copperfield uses supernatural powers to perform his tricks, and at least one preacher has declared him to be the Antichrist.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 09:57 AM   #25
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

and it was about how people know it happened without direct experience.
Which is as perplexing as the rest of your odd threads.

Why would you need "experience" to accept anything that you're generally told on a day-to-day basis?

(Wife: I just picked up some bread and milk from the store.

Husband: Can I accept that as the truth, though? I didn't experience it for myself.)

We've got pictures and deposits from the moon, and that bloke's wife had the bread and the milk.

Fin.

Old 16th August 2017, 10:00 AM   #26
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Which is as perplexing as the rest of your odd threads.

Why would you need "experience" to accept anything that you're generally told on a day-to-day basis?

(Wife: I just picked up some bread and milk from the store.

Husband: Can I accept that as the truth, though? I didn't experience it for myself.)

We've got pictures and deposits from the moon, and that bloke's wife had the bread and the milk.

Fin.
FFS. This is the Bubba no-claim baloney. Chuck utter nonsense and pretend not to have done so. It is not new.
Old 16th August 2017, 10:01 AM   #27
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
You joke, but I've met people who believe that David Copperfield uses supernatural powers to perform his tricks, and at least one preacher has declared him to be the Antichrist.
I totally believe that there are people who would think such a thing.

It's what keeps these run-of-the-mill "psychics" in business every other Thursday night down at the social club in most towns and cities across the land.

Douche: "I'm getting a Jay...a Jay...John, Jack..."

Victim: "Joseph! It's Joseph, my late husband!"

Douche: "Ah, yes, Joseph is with me in the room."

Old 16th August 2017, 10:03 AM   #28
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
FFS. This is the Bubba no-claim baloney. Chuck utter nonsense and pretend not to have done so. It is not new.
It's an old routine, a trend that can be "experienced" with one look at his thread and post history.

Old 16th August 2017, 10:03 AM   #29
Imhotep
Critical Thinker

A pickpocket assistant that steals everyone's ID and puts it back.
Imhotep is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 10:05 AM   #30
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
A pickpocket assistant that steals everyone's ID and puts it back.
A friendly ghost that can see through a person's wallet and then relate the information to the magician.

Old 16th August 2017, 10:05 AM   #31
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Wrong.

Surely you jest.

That thread was titled "Been to the moon?"

Rather than questioning Apollo, it was about how people know it happened without direct experience.
and I asked you how can I be sure your house exists without direct experience
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 10:09 AM   #32
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
You can't, apparently.

You also can't be certain that Kuala Lumpur exists unless you've personally been there, the same goes for Huddersfield.

Old 16th August 2017, 10:16 AM   #33
Bubba
Master Poster

At the dinner party I mentioned, the guy was alone, and knew no one but myself. He'd met me the day before. He said he knew birth signs according to facial features, based on some type of astrology.
Old 16th August 2017, 10:18 AM   #34
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

At the dinner party I mentioned, the guy was alone, and knew no one but myself. He'd met me the day before. He said he knew birth signs according to facial features, based on some type of astrology.
And you believed him? lol. Pull the other one, mate, it's got bells on.

Old 16th August 2017, 10:19 AM   #35
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Define direct experience vs belief / having faith in what you are told is true
Old 16th August 2017, 10:20 AM   #36
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Define direct experience vs belief / having faith in what you are told is true
It doesn't work like that.

Old 16th August 2017, 10:25 AM   #37
Imhotep
Critical Thinker

A friendly ghost that can see through a person's wallet and then relate the information to the magician.
I think I'd just stick with the friendly ghost bit then, and drop the guessing of the signs.
Imhotep is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 10:32 AM   #38
Bubba
Master Poster

It doesn't work like that.
OK how does it work then, if you'd be so kind as to explain...?
Old 16th August 2017, 10:41 AM   #39
Imhotep
Critical Thinker

Direct experience: I touched it, felt it, heard it, saw it, got my nose rubbed in it

Belief/Faith: No sensory data received from subject
Old 16th August 2017, 10:41 AM   #40
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

OK how does it work then, if you'd be so kind as to explain...?
Because you don't need direct experience in order to believe that something may be so.

It doesn't matter whether it's going to the moon, or going to the local shop for a jar of pickles.

That being said, I started out presuming you were trolling, and now I've had direct experience of it.

Do any of your threads have an ultimate goal/point, or are you merely taking a tinkle in the wind and seeing which way the droplets fly?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal