ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astrology , mind-reading tricks

Old 16th August 2017, 10:50 AM   #41
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
And you believed him? lol. Pull the other one, mate, it's got bells on.
Well he had no time or opportunity to research. He simply arrived, sat at the table with strangers and did it. I put it in a thread here a while back.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 10:52 AM   #42
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Well he had no time or opportunity to research. He simply arrived, sat at the table with strangers and did it. I put it in a thread here a while back.
So, what, you believe he's a man of actual magic? You must think Derren Brown is a God.

I'm still wondering what your deal is... It's like you want to believe in silly things, but are dipping your toes in the water and vaguely asking others to explain why you shouldn't put your whole foot in.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 11:39 AM   #43
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

This thread is amazing. You guys are making me crack up at work repeatedly.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 11:45 AM   #44
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Bubba, do you believe in Finland?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...5UadC-x30EF41Q
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 11:48 AM   #45
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
This thread is amazing. You guys are making me crack up at work repeatedly.
We shall all have to accept that on faith alone.

For all of the belief you'll get out of us, you may as well have told us you just sat down to a luncheon of braised mammoth steak with Roach from People Under the Stairs, and Edger and Allan Frog of Lost Boys fame.

We live in difficult times, isissxn.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 12:01 PM   #46
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

If I hear about a bloke guessing another bloke's star sign correctly, I'm acting on faith, and not experience.

Hey, Bubba, I'm starting to get it!

Old 16th August 2017, 12:23 PM   #47
paiute
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by freedy View Post
I have had many people guess my star sign. And many people have got it right ... eventually.
When a beautiful woman guesses my sign, she always gets it right.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 12:45 PM   #48
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Magician guesses zodiac birth sign?
Sure. He's got a 1/12 chance to start, which isn't bad. Well-known cold reading techniques can greatly improve on that.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2017, 01:06 PM   #49
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

It was gullible then and it is gullible now. I used to do it years ago. I have not done so for a long time because so many got freaked out by it.

No paranormal anything was going on.
Old 16th August 2017, 05:08 PM   #50
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Bubba, do you believe in Finland?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...5UadC-x30EF41Q
I believe they are plotting to consume everyone's time with building their stylish furniture that no one will notice them invading.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 08:06 AM   #51
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

The problem with this sort of scenario is that any details you weren't aware of by definition can't be included in your telling of the story. If you want us to actually explain how the trick was done based on just your detail-sparse memory of the event the answer is we do not have enough information.

Instead, we have to look at whether or not the claim is plausible. Can you glance at someone and tell by their face what zodiac sign they are? There's no plausible mechanism for that. We have no reason to believe that there are twelve or more distinct facial features that reliably appear on people based solely on their date of birth. In fact, I would argue that as unlikely as this is it's actually more reasonable to suggest he randomly guessed correctly each time.

But of course it doesn't have to be anything that crazy. There are lots of tricks people use to get information or to skew how their guesses are perceived or whatever. The most plausible explanation is that there was a trick to it, and that you didn't catch it. I know that's an unsatisfying answer, but unless you can arrange a scientific trial it's the best guess we have.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 01:02 AM   #52
steenkh
Philosopher

(A stranger once guessed birth signs of people at dinner party including me.)
Apart from magical tricks, I wonder if the time year of the birthday could have an influence on the personality?

If this is the case, the effect of course should be reversed for the southern hemisphere, something that astrologers have never noticed, and they should have been the first to notice if there had been the slightest whiff of science in their metier.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 07:20 AM   #53
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Magician performs tricks on people in the street...

News at 11.

You ever see that David Blaine fella? He once threw a playing card through a window and into the display case of a jewelry store.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was the second-coming of our Lord Saviour, Jesus Christ.
Really, who did Jeebus **** each time (My money is on Mary Magdalene!!)?

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 07:23 AM   #54
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I genuinely really want to know what his star sign is!
Certainly an Arachnida Magnus!!!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 07:28 AM   #55
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Because you don't need direct experience in order to believe that something may be so.

It doesn't matter whether it's going to the moon, or going to the local shop for a jar of pickles.

That being said, I started out presuming you were trolling, and now I've had direct experience of it.

Do any of your threads have an ultimate goal/point, or are you merely taking a tinkle in the wind and seeing which way the droplets fly?
Ahh, the Peon Magic System in action!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 18th August 2017, 07:29 AM   #56
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Apart from magical tricks, I wonder if the time year of the birthday could have an influence on the personality?

If this is the case, the effect of course should be reversed for the southern hemisphere, something that astrologers have never noticed, and they should have been the first to notice if there had been the slightest whiff of science in their metier.
That's meteor!!!!*

*"Look to the skies!!!!!"

Wash this space!

Last edited by fuelair; 18th August 2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 18th August 2017, 07:46 AM   #57
sadhatter
Philosopher

(A stranger once guessed birth signs of people at dinner party including me.)

Magician guesses zodiac birth sign?

Google that, or go to FB video link below which supposedly shows a guy on street successfully guessing strangers signs.

Dont ask me.

The quote at bottom is from themagiccafe com/forums. It came up searching Magician guesses zodiac birth sign

https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/v...9623346727372/

.Dont ask me.

(so of course you will)

If I were to guess, or had to do it myself. ..

Find local business people would tend to go to daily, McDonald's, Starbucks, etc. Find people on Facebook who reviewed them (looking for positive reviews, as people likely wouldn't be regulars if they hated it. And filter for obvious tourists. ) then when I recognised a face, seem like a psychic.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 07:56 AM   #58
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
If I were to guess, or had to do it myself. ..

Find local business people would tend to go to daily, McDonald's, Starbucks, etc. Find people on Facebook who reviewed them (looking for positive reviews, as people likely wouldn't be regulars if they hated it. And filter for obvious tourists. ) then when I recognised a face, seem like a psychic.
Yes, that was the explanation that occurred to me, except I thought the "psychic" would look on Facebook for people arranging to meet up at a particular restaurant, memorise their birth dates, and then go along at the appropriate time.
Old 18th August 2017, 08:23 AM   #59
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post

Experiencing different weather during different developmental stages must have some effect. When you learn to walk, are you wearing shorts outside or are you bundled in multiple layers? When you learn to talk, are you babbling about sunshine and swimming pools, or cold and snow? Minor effects on average, surely, but probably measurable with enough effort.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 08:44 AM   #60
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Experiencing different weather during different developmental stages must have some effect. When you learn to walk, are you wearing shorts outside or are you bundled in multiple layers? When you learn to talk, are you babbling about sunshine and swimming pools, or cold and snow? Minor effects on average, surely, but probably measurable with enough effort.
I don't believe it. We have hemispheres on this planet, for one. And it would require reaching back decades in time to near-natal and finding an effect that survives the noise.

I don't think it's possible, but even if it is, such a method couldn't be practical. Easier to spot a birthstone or other datum that is linked to sun sign and go from there. Remember - a magic trick that habitually doesn't work isn't likely to be adopted by a performer.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 09:00 AM   #61
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Your body of work does not qualify you as a reliable narrator.

There's also no reason to believe you would even recognize cold reading techniques even if you saw them being performed.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2017, 09:16 AM   #62
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Your body of work does not qualify you as a reliable narrator.

There's also no reason to believe you would even recognize cold reading techniques even if you saw them being performed.
Yup. While my long dead father favoured stage magic, I prefer close-up. The zodiac deal is pretty trivial. Used to do it, but don't anymore. Too many took it seriously.

The entire point of magic tricks is not that the audience is gullible, but that the audience knows it is a trick and appreciate it done well. And perhaps a demonstration of how easily fooled people really are.
Old 18th August 2017, 02:01 PM   #63
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I don't believe it. We have hemispheres on this planet, for one.
Obviously you would have to measure cold weather vs hot weather (or wet vs dry in places where those are the two seasons).

Quote:
And it would require reaching back decades in time to near-natal and finding an effect that survives the noise.
I don't think that is a problem. A greater effect may be school age though. There must be differences depending on whether you are young or old relative to your classmates, and that generally depends on birth month.

Quote:
I don't think it's possible, but even if it is, such a method couldn't be practical. Easier to spot a birthstone or other datum that is linked to sun sign and go from there. Remember - a magic trick that habitually doesn't work isn't likely to be adopted by a performer.
Obviously it couldn't be used to guess an individual's birth month. I'm just suggesting that with a large enough study some small differences could be found.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 07:07 PM   #64
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

In this case, I bet these nice young ladies met someone taking a petition earlier to "help puppies/children/children with puppies..." and the petition required enough biographic data to figure out their birth sign. A bit of cellular technology and there you have it. He's told "four girls one in a blue top, another in a red, another in white..."
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 11:15 PM   #65
Bubba
Master Poster

The guy said it was astrology.

I met a guy and invited him to my dinner party the next day. He arrived, sat down and after a while, he did his thing. His 'thing' was correctly naming most or all guests' birth signs. About a dozen people were there.

He probably asked permission, nice guy that he was, but no matter.

He credited his feat to observing facial features only. He said it was a type of astrology.

Yes there are ways to do it, and this is mostly not about that.

In addition to acknowledging techniques known to magicians etc, I wonder what experiment/study might emerge if someone qualified wished to investigate the claim according to principles of logic, if not the scientific method.

Since he said it was about facial features I thought for starters, how about....

Photograph facial features of say 100 people per birth sign. Pics to be taken from maybe 10 (?) different angles. Angles which capture face features deemed most productive by designers of the study.

Thats a rough idea, of course open to improvement.

So this post is meant to be about how to investigate (?), discussing design of such a study. *

If no similarities were found it could be a stake in the heart of that guys claim about astrology, not that everyone needs that.

If some consistent similarities were found according to birth sign, it would absolutely conclusively prove beyond any shadow of doubt that some consistent similarities were found according to birth sign.

Either way it might make be good for conversation at some dinner party.

Any suggestions for such a study? I doubt I would take it on. Call it a thought experiment if you wish.

If nothing else, based on experience, the range of responses could make writing this OP worthwhile.

Dont hold back your views, I'm counting on you ;-)

Thanks in advance!

* In case you missed it or forgot, this is meant to be about how to investigate (?), and or discussing design of such a study.

and enjoying the range of responses
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 11:41 PM   #66
sadhatter
Philosopher

You realize it's a trick right? And you don't generally tell people how you do a trick?

Using faces is literally the first option to cross of the list, not where to start.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 11:46 PM   #67
Senex
Philosopher

What scientific principle is involved in facial features being manufactured by birth sign?
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2017, 11:48 PM   #68
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

So this post is meant to be about how to investigate (?),
OK. Invite him around again and video it, so we can see the original evidence rather than just an anecdote about a magician's stage trick.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 12:11 AM   #69
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
OK. Invite him around again and video it, so we can see the original evidence rather than just an anecdote about a magician's stage trick.
Impossible. Long ago. Lost contact. Far away. Besides its not about that. Its about the study of pictures as described.
Old 22nd August 2017, 12:36 AM   #70
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Paragraphs, Bubba, paragraphs. Writing isolated lines for each sentence makes it look like you are giving us a chocolate cake recipe.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 01:25 AM   #71
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningThread merged with original thread about this topic. Bubba do not create new threads when you have already started a recent and active thread about the same topic.
Posted By:Darat
Old 22nd August 2017, 02:09 AM   #72
Yeggster
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
A pickpocket assistant that steals everyone's ID and puts it back.
Or have an accomplice run everybody's car tags
Yeggster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 03:44 AM   #73
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Impossible. Long ago. Lost contact. Far away. Besides its not about that. Its about the study of pictures as described.
Ah, how very convenient.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 04:08 AM   #74
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
Or have an accomplice run everybody's car tags
When I was young, auto tag numbers in my area were issued in order and renewal was based on your date of birth. One day, on a date close to my birthday, I saw someone I do not know getting out of a car with a license plate number close to mine. I took a chance and said "Happy birthday." He gave me a confused look then said "thanks." He started to walk away then turned back and apologetically asked who I am. When I explained the trick, he laughed and wished me a happy birthday.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 04:10 AM   #75
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

But the little story is essential! It front-loads us to think, "How is this possible?" rather than, "Did this even happen?"

Without the nice story, I wouldn't even consider that birth was correlated with facial features. Still don't, actually.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 04:18 AM   #76
jadebox
Graduate Poster

As others have mentioned, there hasn't been enough information given to explain how the trick was accomplished. But, when I want to figure out how a magician has performed an illusion, instead of analyzing what I saw in detail, I step back and ask myself "how would I do it?" That question is often easier to answer because it mostly avoids distractions and misdirection.

In this case, I would be one of the people in the group and I know everyone's birthdate. I ask a friend, that none of the others know, to pretend to randomly pick our group and guess everyone's astrological sign. We could use gestures to communicate (which would be a reason to limit ourselves to signs of the zodiac instead of actual birth dates).
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 08:35 AM   #77
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Did he have a bridge for sale, mate?

Old 22nd August 2017, 08:37 AM   #78
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Yeah, that tends to happen when you make stuff up, it just kind of fades from memory over time.

Old 22nd August 2017, 08:39 AM   #79
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

The guy said it was astrology...

Funniest thread title yet.

"Seriously, he told me it wasn't a scam. I really did win the Nigerian lottery."

Old 22nd August 2017, 09:03 AM   #80
sadhatter
Philosopher

But you have not shown that he wasn't just throwing you off the scent. As someone that likes to do a bit of amateur magic, I always either leave them guessing or give a wrong explination.

For example I did a dirty simple trick, involving making a balloon pop from across a small room with 4 other people in it while in placement. How they told people the trick unfolded was nothing like how it did, and the one way that I did the trick I let them convince themselves was impossible.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal