ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astrology , mind-reading tricks

Old 22nd August 2017, 09:14 AM   #81
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Dozens, if not hundreds, of scientific studies have already been done to test the claims made by astrologers, Bubba. No more are needed.

http://www.astrology-and-science.com
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:05 AM   #82
Cat Not Included
Scholar

While its something that a lot of people have a hard time accepting, the longer ago it is the greater the chance that you aren't remembering it very well. Our memories are highly unreliable in many ways.

What do you remember about how this went? Did the person just literally walk up to people, look at your face and say "Hmm, you're a Libra"? Or was there communication, back and forth. How did he verify that he was correct?
Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 12:42 PM   #83
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cat Not Included View Post

...What do you remember about how this went? Did the person just literally walk up to people, look at your face and say "Hmm, you're a Libra"? Or was there communication, back and forth. How did he verify that he was correct?

Verification was a person saying something affirmative like yes that's my sign

I met the guy, a stranger, when he helped assist someone that fainted at a hot summer concert, Boston, c 1976. Nice guy. So I invited him to a dinner party, next day.

He arrived and joined us already at table in my apartment. About a dozen people. He named all or most birth signs, crediting the feat to some kind of astrology. Impressed me, so I never forgot it.

I think I have heard all the explanations like cold reading, checking purses for ID, specific questioning, and other techniques etc.

Instead, this is about how science would devise a study to examine feasibility of his specific claim of naming birth sign by observing facial features.

Science apparently has devised means to satisfactorily examine other astrology claims. Why not this one?
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 12:49 PM   #84
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Dozens, if not hundreds, of scientific studies have already been done to test the claims made by astrologers, Bubba. No more are needed.

http://www.astrology-and-science.com
Thanks, I see nothing in there addressing the claim of signs and facial recognition. Which is why applying science seems worth discussing. Kudos for posting a reply on topic. AFAIK so far you're the one acknowledging this is about science and a study. (sorry if I missed others replying on topic)

So I will ask:

First, regarding (before designing) such a study, would studying people or their pics even be useful for examining such a claim? (seems like it would) Could such a study rule in or rule out merit in further study, or not?

I ask because the guy's claim re facial features seems more palpable, vs assertions re personality traits etc because it is about physical features, seemingly testable by examining people or their photographs.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 12:51 PM   #85
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

I met the guy, a stranger, when he helped assist someone that fainted at a hot summer concert, Boston, c 1976. Nice guy. So I invited him to a dinner party, next day.

He arrived and joined us already at table in my apartment. About a dozen people. He named all or most birth signs, crediting the feat to some kind of astrology. Impressed me, so I never forgot it.

I think I have heard all the explanations like cold reading, checking purses for ID, specific questioning, and other techniques etc.

Instead, this is about how science would devise a study to examine feasibility of his specific claim of naming birth sign by observing facial features.

Science apparently has devised means to satisfactorily examine other astrology claims. Why not this one?
He helped someone who fainted, so you invited him to dinner? That's weird.

You really need to get into some Derren Brown, he can be annoying, but this kind of stuff is child's play to him, and to most decent magicians. Penn and Teller may literally blow your mind out of your arse.

Obviously, the act of naming a person's birth-sign based on their facial features is as nonsensical an act as feeling a person's head and claiming to be able to correctly describe that person's character, or reading their palms and being able to predict their future.

The thing is, the crux of the trick is the same, but the act varies... Palm reading, tarot reading, phrenology, astrology...blah blah blah.

I don't get how or why you were fooled by it.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 12:53 PM   #86
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Derren Brown - cold-reading techniques:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YaVfpjGL4

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 01:01 PM   #87
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
He helped someone who fainted, so you invited him to dinner? That's weird.

Not at all. I said "Nice guy". We talked afterward, I got to know him enough to invite him to dinner. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 22nd August 2017, 01:09 PM   #88
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Not at all. I said "Nice guy". We talked afterward, I got to know him enough to invite him to dinner. Nothing out of the ordinary.
So why did this particular trick leave you gobsmacked? It's basically the same techniques that we see in the other tricks I mentioned. So why was this one trick more interesting than any other trick that uses the same methods?

Old 22nd August 2017, 01:15 PM   #89
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I mentioned to another poster in another thread that I'd been to a "reading" evening a while ago, for a laugh and a pint, and this was the guy who was doing the show, Joe Power, this was obviously before he was outed by Derren Brown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qgtEJWiO9A

Old 22nd August 2017, 01:21 PM   #90
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

(A stranger once guessed birth signs of people at dinner party including me.)

Magician guesses zodiac birth sign?

Google that, or go to FB video link below which supposedly shows a guy on street successfully guessing strangers signs.

Dont ask me.

The quote at bottom is from themagiccafe com/forums. It came up searching Magician guesses zodiac birth sign

https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/v...9623346727372/

.Dont ask me.

(so of course you will)

Basically, no. Astrology is one alt. belief that can be tested retrospectively.
And that has been done, and the result is that there is no correlation between personal traits or life events and birth sign.

Astrology is simply bunk.

Hans
Old 22nd August 2017, 01:31 PM   #91
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
You joke, but I've met people who believe that David Copperfield uses supernatural powers to perform his tricks, and at least one preacher has declared him to be the Antichrist.
I know people who think illusionists use the assistance of jinn.
Old 22nd August 2017, 01:34 PM   #92
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
I know people who think illusionists use the assistance of jinn.
I know several nightclubs with acts that use the assistance of gin. And whiskey, vodka, and so on...

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 01:40 PM   #93
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

First, regarding (before designing) such a study, would studying people or their pics even be useful for examining such a claim? (seems like it would) Could such a study rule in or rule out merit in further study, or not?
Sure, JREF tested dozens of such claims. A simple blind test, with success criteria set at a hit rate significantly better than chance, is all that's required.

So have say 60 photographs of people of various ages, ethnicities etc, none of whom is known to the claimant, each identified only by a unique number. An invigilator has the list showing which sign the person in each numbered photo is in a sealed envelope. The claimant looks at each photograph and sorts them into 12 piles, one pile for each sign. The envelope is then unsealed and the number of photos the claimant has put in the correct pile is noted. There's a 1 in 12 chance of guessing each person's sign correctly, so the expected chance hit rate is 5. If the claimant manages to identify at least 20, say, of the signs correctly they would be deemed to have passed the test. Repeat the feat, and the claimant would have won the million.
Old 22nd August 2017, 01:49 PM   #94
Bubba
Master Poster

I mentioned to another poster in another thread that I'd been to a "reading" evening a while ago, for a laugh and a pint, and this was the guy who was doing the show, Joe Power, this was obviously before he was outed by Derren Brown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qgtEJWiO9A
So 'Joe' in the video knew something about the person he was 'reading' but he had lied, saying he didnt have any foreknowledge.

In the case at hand I can confirm the guy was a stranger to me and my dinner guests.

It does not matter who or how anyone may have claimed to name birthsigns according to facial features. Fraud ? OK. No matter because my interest is not about exposing fraud.

This is about.....See post #65

See post 93 for example of staying on topic.
Old 22nd August 2017, 01:54 PM   #95
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

So 'Joe' in the video knew something about the person he was 'reading' but he had lied, saying he didnt have any foreknowledge.

In the case at hand I can confirm the guy was a stranger to me and my dinner guests.

It does not matter who or how anyone may have claimed to name birthsigns according to facial features. Fraud ? OK. No matter because my interest is not about exposing fraud.

Did you watch the video? He knew nothing about any of the people, and likewise, Derren knew nothing about any of the people in that first video I sent you, did you watch that?

Again, this comes to a simple technique which you seem to find exceptional. Your friend was doing nothing that hasn't been done before by other people pulling the wool over the eyes of people who want to be fooled.

Basically, as Brown says, the techniques for cold reading have been displayed many times, yet there are people who claim to be able to "read" people for real. It's up to you to decide whether they're legit or not, but when you've seen this common technique being used by magicians, are you honestly still going to believe that there really are psychics in the world?

Why would you ever possibly think such a thing?

Last edited by Gilbert Syndrome; 22nd August 2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 22nd August 2017, 01:57 PM   #96
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I'm very much on-topic, Bubba. This is just a really odd thread where you've asked whether a person could "guess" at your birth-sign by looking at your facial features, now ignoring how utterly silly such a thread and question is, how are you so taken in by this to the point where you had to ask other people whether it could be done or not?

It can obviously be done, and obviously was done, unless you truly think this man was magical in the most realistic sense of the word.

Old 22nd August 2017, 02:57 PM   #97
Bubba
Master Poster

I'm very much on-topic, Bubba. This is just a really odd thread where you've asked whether a person could "guess" at your birth-sign by looking at your facial features,
That was the former thread.
The latter thread was different and was merged with the former one.

Quote:
by Darat
Thread merged with original thread about this topic. Bubba do not create new threads when you have already started a recent and active thread about the same topic.
I am now addressing the topic of the latter thread, not the former thread.
Post #65 is the OP explaining topic of the latter thread.

Did you watch the video? He knew nothing about any of the people, and likewise, Derren knew nothing about any of the people in that first video I sent you, did you watch that?
In the video in post #89 Derren said he discovered that the 'psychic's sister lived next door to the subject woman, therefore making the psychic dishonest about (not) having prior info. I stopped watching then. That is what I meant by the psychic having 'foreknowledge'.

I'm interested less in what you are on about, and more interested in the current topic.

In my next post I will further clarify the topic I am now addressing.
Old 22nd August 2017, 02:59 PM   #98
Bubba
Master Poster

Sure, JREF tested dozens of such claims. A simple blind test, with success criteria set at a hit rate significantly better than chance, is all that's required.

So have say 60 photographs of people of various ages, ethnicities etc, none of whom is known to the claimant, each identified only by a unique number. An invigilator has the list showing which sign the person in each numbered photo is in a sealed envelope. The claimant looks at each photograph and sorts them into 12 piles, one pile for each sign. The envelope is then unsealed and the number of photos the claimant has put in the correct pile is noted. There's a 1 in 12 chance of guessing each person's sign correctly, so the expected chance hit rate is 5. If the claimant manages to identify at least 20, say, of the signs correctly they would be deemed to have passed the test. Repeat the feat, and the claimant would have won the million.

Thanks. Its not about guessing. Its not even about someone claiming to read.

Its about how science would determine whether or not correlations exist.

Say a panel of people qualified in observing detail. Maybe they are doctors or engineers. Or machinists or cosmetologists. They will observe. Maybe they note sizes, angles, or ratios seen in the facial images. Whatever. Science knows what to do. The observers are not guessing or "reading". They are merely cataloguing a preferably predetermined set of observable features. Maybe the pics are then categorized by features into groups. Then the birthdates can be applied to determine whether or not there are correlations.

Sorry if it wasnt explained as well earlier.

Is that anything like how science would be applied if asked to determine whether or not there are correlations ?

Forget "birth signs" for now. Instead, use "birth dates" as they can be converted to birth signs later.

Set aside astrology for now.....say it is about like applying science to the question of whether correlations exist in your birthdate and your favorite color at age 17....whatever....

To avoid pre-conception bias, the instructions for observers would not mention birth dates, astrology, or birth signs. Observers would be tasked only with identifying certain features in the face pics. The pics would then be grouped in sets. Afterwards, the birthdates would be applied.

Do you know of a study that has already looked into this question of correlations in birth dates and facial features?

Quote:
A simple blind test, with success criteria set at a hit rate significantly better than chance, is all that's required.
Old 22nd August 2017, 03:10 PM   #99
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Say a panel of people qualified in observing detail. Maybe they are doctors or engineers. Or machinists or cosmetologists. They will observe. Maybe they note sizes, angles, or ratios seen in the facial images. Whatever. Science knows what to do. The observers are not guessing or "reading". They are merely cataloguing a preferably predetermined set of observable features. Maybe the pics are then categorized by features into groups. Then the birthdates can be applied to determine whether or not there are correlations.

Is that anything like how science would be applied if asked to determine whether or not there are correlations ?

Forget "birth signs" for now. Instead, use "birth dates" as they can be converted to birth signs later.

Set aside astrology for now.....say it is about like applying science to the question of whether correlations exist in your birthdate and your favorite color at age 17....whatever....

To avoid pre-conception bias, the instructions for observers would not mention birth dates, astrology, or birth signs. Observers would be tasked only with identifying certain features in the face pics. The pics would then be grouped in sets. Afterwards, the birthdates would be applied.

Do you know of a study that has already looked into this question of correlations in birth dates and facial features?
Sure. Why are you not aware of those studies? Could it be that all of them have found astrology to be utter bollocks?
Old 22nd August 2017, 04:07 PM   #100
Bubba
Master Poster

Got a link for such a study ? Specifically on the facial features as he claimed.

Sound science is what I meant in my description.

How would it be done, and more professionally so than what I sketched above.
Old 22nd August 2017, 04:26 PM   #101
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Got a link for such a study ? Specifically on the facial features as he claimed.

Yup. Several. I have not posted them because I am certain you would ignore them.

But before you get all offended, bear in mind that I pursued this avenue to the extent that I could cast a chart with accuracy. It remains utter bollocks.

You simply don't want to hear that, thus any of the gazillion peer reviewed studies I could post would be rejected out of hand without any thought.

Thus my reluctance to make the effort. Your arguments are simply anti-loreal. They are not worth it.

Start with Shawn Carlson, but astrology has been comprehensively shown to be abject rubbish.
Old 22nd August 2017, 05:07 PM   #102
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Your sketch (and your previous sketch) both seem more than adequate to me. Someone else has proposed a controlled test of a claimant (such a test has been on offer for decades, with a sizeable reward; nobody has ever collected the reward). Here's another test one: A passport database and facial recognition software. That would have everything you really need: standardized photo methodology, associated birth dates, and a programmatic way to gather the data. Then throw some statisticians at the data set--or even just statistical analysis AIs. You could mask the data so the analyzers didn't even know what they were looking at. Throw enough computing power at the data for long enough, and I'm sure some kind of pattern would emerge. My bet is that you'd find a much stronger correlation between age and facial features than anything else, and any birth date correlation would be lost in the noise.

Can you explain what you're looking for more clearly, beyond the tests you and others have already described?

No useful correlation between birth sign and measurable characteristics in humans has ever been demonstrated. It is doubtful than anyone will ever bother to make a scientific test for your specific scenario, nor is such a test necessary to resolve the conundrum posed by your dinner guest.

That conundrum is reasonably resolved by what we already know about physics, biology, astrology, stage magic, and charlatanism.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 05:46 PM   #103
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

[...].

www.google.com ought to do it if you are willing to put in some effort.

One thread (out of dozens of decoys) on ISF won't work, because see my sig.
Old 22nd August 2017, 06:38 PM   #104
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Do facial features correspond to signs of the Zodiac? Why the astrology reference? Why not ask if there are facial features that correspond to the time of year a person is born? Not being a statistics expert, I don't know exactly how you would do such a test, but it's surely something that could be done.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:02 PM   #105
sadhatter
Philosopher

Why would "science" waste its time?

This would be like doing a study on how to remove computer viruses with techorcisim. Unless there is strong evidence that someone is actually doing this why waste time? I hear "science" is very busy.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 09:29 PM   #106
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Which is precisely what the test I described does.

You know what the chance success rate is. You ensure that the claimant has no source of information other than his claimed ability to tell astrological signs by facial features. If he can consistently correctly identify significantly more signs than would be expected by chance then he has proved he has the ability he claims, and hence that the correlation between facial features and astrological signs does exist.

Quote:

If the claimed correlation is clearly established then scientists would certainly be interested in exactly what features were correlated and might do such studies. But nobody with any sense is going to go to that kind of trouble until the correlation has been established.

Quote:
As far as I know no such correlation has ever been claimed, let alone shown to exist, so there's been no reason to do such studies.
Old 22nd August 2017, 11:23 PM   #107
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yup. Several. I have not posted them because I am certain you would ignore them.

But before you get all offended, bear in mind that I pursued this avenue to the extent that I could cast a chart with accuracy. It remains utter bollocks.

You simply don't want to hear that, thus any of the gazillion peer reviewed studies I could post would be rejected out of hand without any thought.

Thus my reluctance to make the effort. Your arguments are simply anti-loreal. They are not worth it.

Start with Shawn Carlson, but astrology has been comprehensively shown to be abject rubbish.
Casting charts and confirming personality traits etc always seemed way to vague and inconsistent to me. Thats why the guy's feat impressed me.

To me, casting charts and confirming personality traits etc versus this facial thing are like apples and oranges, ie the former is far more subjective than scientific. The study I propose would appear to have nothing to do with investigating an astrology claim.

Thanks, I'll look into Shawn Carlson's work.
Old 22nd August 2017, 11:38 PM   #108
Bubba
Master Poster

Which is precisely what the test I described does.

You know what the chance success rate is. You ensure that the claimant has no source of information other than his claimed ability to tell astrological signs by facial features. If he can consistently correctly identify significantly more signs than would be expected by chance then he has proved he has the ability he claims, and hence that the correlation between facial features and astrological signs does exist.

If the claimed correlation is clearly established then scientists would certainly be interested in exactly what features were correlated and might do such studies. But nobody with any sense is going to go to that kind of trouble until the correlation has been established.

As far as I know no such correlation has ever been claimed, let alone shown to exist, so there's been no reason to do such studies.

Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 11:48 PM   #109
Bubba
Master Poster

[quote=theprestige;11968349]Your sketch (and your previous sketch) both seem more than adequate to me. Someone else has proposed a controlled test of a claimant (such a test has been on offer for decades, with a sizeable reward; nobody has ever collected the reward). Here's another test one: A passport database and facial recognition software. That would have everything you really need: standardized photo methodology, associated birth dates, and a programmatic way to gather the data.

Great idea. I'd hire you.

Quote:
Then throw some statisticians at the data set--or even just statistical analysis AIs. You could mask the data so the analyzers didn't even know what they were looking at. Throw enough computing power at the data for long enough, and I'm sure some kind of pattern would emerge. My bet is that you'd find a much stronger correlation between age and facial features than anything else, and any birth date correlation would be lost in the noise.

Can you explain what you're looking for more clearly, beyond the tests you and others have already described?
Mainly to know whether or not the guy was on the level because of how impressive his success rate appeared to be

Quote:
No useful correlation between birth sign and measurable characteristics in humans has ever been demonstrated. It is doubtful than anyone will ever bother to make a scientific test for your specific scenario, nor is such a test necessary to resolve the conundrum posed by your dinner guest.

That conundrum is reasonably resolved by what we already know about physics, biology, astrology, stage magic, and charlatanism.
Detractors will not be impressed, but I saw no way he could have gleaned their signs at the table before he did his thing. He missed 2 or 3 out of 10 or 12 people. After explaining his skill, he looked around from face to face and named their sign. In the circumstances and time he had, I saw no way he could glean the info. He walked into a room of strangers and sat down. He would have had to steer conversation to birthdates for all or most persons to get those results. That didnt happen.

So I came up with the specific study method sketched above. One member implied it has not been done. Meanwhile I'll start with Shawn Carlson.
Old 22nd August 2017, 11:54 PM   #110
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I saw no way he could have gleaned their signs at the table before he did his thing.
You're not supposed to see how it's done, that's the whole point of a good trick.

And he almost certainly obtained the information he needed before he arrived at the table. You'd invited him, he had plenty of time to find out who else you were likely to invite and obtain some of their birth dates. He might even have lurked outside and asked the other invitees their birth dates as they arrived. ("I'm planning to play a little trick on Bubba to amaze him, will you help?" Most would).
Old 23rd August 2017, 03:27 AM   #111
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

That was the former thread.
The latter thread was different and was merged with the former one.

I am now addressing the topic of the latter thread, not the former thread.
Post #65 is the OP explaining topic of the latter thread.
Both threads were merged because they were the same thing, Bubba. Only you seem to think they're different questions. They're not.

In the video in post #89 Derren said he discovered that the 'psychic's sister lived next door to the subject woman, therefore making the psychic dishonest about (not) having prior info. I stopped watching then. That is what I meant by the psychic having 'foreknowledge'.

I'm interested less in what you are on about, and more interested in the current topic.

In my next post I will further clarify the topic I am now addressing.
But you totally avoid mentioning the fact that there was a video where Derren didn't know a single thing about any of the people whom he got multiple hits on. That's about as dishonest as you can get, Bubba.

But, hey, don't let me stop you from believing in magic, "shooby dooby do wop, yeah magiiiiiiiic!"

Old 23rd August 2017, 03:29 AM   #112
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

How do you not get this?

The crux of the trick is always the same. The techniques for the act are different: palm reading, astrology, tarot reading...

He's not using anyone's facial features to read their birth signs, mate, lol.

Old 23rd August 2017, 08:13 AM   #113
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Mainly to know whether or not the guy was on the level because of how impressive his success rate appeared to be
We'll never be able to know that without tracking that specific guy down. Even IF this claim was plausible and then you did a scientific test and found that it could be done, it wouldn't tell us if that one guy at your dinner party was full of it or not.

Because you don't know or can't remember the details, or all the things you simply weren't aware of at the time. Heck, you can't even remember how many people were there or how many guesses he got right:

His 'thing' was correctly naming most or all guests' birth signs. About a dozen people were there.
He missed 2 or 3 out of 10 or 12 people.
So we have a range from 7/10 to 12/12 depending on details you can't remember, and let's be honest - it could be a different number entirely. Maybe he missed four out of nine? And you for sure don't know/remember the whole conversation and what details about them he might have overheard. You don't know what tricks he knew, or if he got some clues from thier reactions to his guesses, or if he did the thing where he kinda walks his answer around before committing to it, or anything else.

So while I'm always fine with scientifically testing pseudoscience I don't see that it would help prove this specific event.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2017, 01:00 PM   #114
Bubba
Master Poster

But you totally avoid mentioning the fact that there was a video where Derren didn't know a single thing about any of the people whom he got multiple hits on. That's about as dishonest as you can get, Bubba.

I did not watch that video as I already knew I was not interested in what you were on about.

I watched the second so as to be informed in telling you I was not interested.

Besides, Derren's getting multiple hits is to be expected. I've seen that kind of debunking before.

Nonetheless, I think it is great to see that you essentially called me a liar.

Thanks !

Last edited by Bubba; 23rd August 2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 23rd August 2017, 01:42 PM   #115
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Great idea. I'd hire you.
You couldn't afford me.

Quote:
Nope. Searching for correlations in facial feature data is an interesting thought experiment. It's disingenuous to suggest it's necessary in order to reveal a well-understood and commonplace parlor trick.

Quote:
Detractors will not be impressed, but I saw no way he could have gleaned their signs at the table before he did his thing. He missed 2 or 3 out of 10 or 12 people. After explaining his skill, he looked around from face to face and named their sign. In the circumstances and time he had, I saw no way he could glean the info. He walked into a room of strangers and sat down. He would have had to steer conversation to birthdates for all or most persons to get those results. That didnt happen.
I don't need a multimillion-dollar scientific study to know that you're neither competent nor willing to assess this scenario reasonably.

Assuming it even happened at all. I mean, seriously? You've been running around for the past 40 years convinced that there just might be a correlation here? Four decades of growing and learning and reasoning about the world around you, and you still think you need a serious scientific investigation into a dimly-remembered dinner conversation, just to put your mind at rest?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2017, 02:05 PM   #116
Bubba
Master Poster

You're not supposed to see how it's done, that's the whole point of a good trick.

And he almost certainly obtained the information he needed before he arrived at the table. You'd invited him, he had plenty of time to find out who else you were likely to invite and obtain some of their birth dates. He might even have lurked outside and asked the other invitees their birth dates as they arrived. ("I'm planning to play a little trick on Bubba to amaze him, will you help?" Most would).

One shan't rule out any possibilities.
Old 23rd August 2017, 02:09 PM   #117
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Bubba, it's all trickery. From cold to warm to hot reading. Memory is fallible, so without a transcript of every scrap of conversation that evening you can not say that there was anything supernatural going on.

If you have not done so, I recommend reading The Attack Of The Unsinkable Rubber Ducks by Christopher Brookmyre. It's fiction, but it gives you an insight into some of the tricks these 'psychics' use to fool their audience. It doesn't cover every trick that they use, but it's a starting point.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2017, 11:01 PM   #118
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

One shan't rule out any possibilities.
That's the point, Bubba. Given the very limited information available it is impossible to rule anything out, or in. But there is nothing here to justify further study, given that there are plausible mundane explanations for what you remember happening.

Would I be justified in suggesting that there should be a scientific study of whether someone can survive when they're missing everything from the waist down if I once saw a magician saw a woman in half and can't be absolutely sure he did it by trickery? That's what you seem to be suggesting here.
Old 24th August 2017, 05:59 AM   #119
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
We'll never be able to know that without tracking that specific guy down. Even IF this claim was plausible and then you did a scientific test and found that it could be done, it wouldn't tell us if that one guy at your dinner party was full of it or not.

Because you don't know or can't remember the details, or all the things you simply weren't aware of at the time. Heck, you can't even remember how many people were there or how many guesses he got right:

So we have a range from 7/10 to 12/12 depending on details you can't remember, and let's be honest - it could be a different number entirely. Maybe he missed four out of nine? And you for sure don't know/remember the whole conversation and what details about them he might have overheard. You don't know what tricks he knew, or if he got some clues from thier reactions to his guesses, or if he did the thing where he kinda walks his answer around before committing to it, or anything else.

So while I'm always fine with scientifically testing pseudoscience I don't see that it would help prove this specific event.
"Yeah, just by looking at the faces around the table I can see there are a lot of water signs here"
Nods give first bit of info etc etc until 7 out of 10 becomes a far less impressive guess as for these people it would be a 1 in 3....
"And you really look like a Pisces..." (to one of the nodders) guage reaction and now leave it at that 'cos "Gosh, you're spot on" or, confused look so follow with, "but by the angle of your brow I can tell you're actually a Scorpio' (50/50 chance). "Now on to the fire signs..." and so on.

Now if most people are like me, never having invested any time in astrology, I couldn't tell you, without looking it up (and now my browsing history is sullied, urrghh!) what was a water sign, what was a fire sign etc. So you could refine the above with:

"Yeah, just by looking at the faces around the table I can see there are a lot of water signs here... you know, Cancer (observe reaction), Scorpio (observe reaction) and Pisces." Home in on the ones that were easiest to read, rinse and repeat.

Not saying this was the mechanism as we have no way of knowing, but this sort of walk-around often gets remembered (especially with repeated tellings making the story more interesting) for just the final result (which also gets exaggerated up over time and becomes fixed memory).
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 06:05 AM   #120
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

As for "Well let's just assume there's a connection, how could we test it", Pixel42 has already given a perfectly serviceable mechanism but she (apologies if I assume incorrectly) and others have wisely pointed out the 'why would you bother it's clearly nonsense' aspects.

If someone hadn't used this faux explanation for what most of us see as a relatively simple trick then why on earth would you even consider that when you're born affects your facial features - what really, over genetics?!

"Hey you've got a big nose and hairy eyebrows, you must be a Gemini"

"Er my Dad has a big nose and hairy eyebrows"

"Yeah well he must be a Gemini as well."

Facepalm...
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal