ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astrology , mind-reading tricks

Old 24th August 2017, 07:13 AM   #121
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
I did not watch that video as I already knew I was not interested in what you were on about.

I watched the second so as to be informed in telling you I was not interested.

Besides, Derren's getting multiple hits is to be expected. I've seen that kind of debunking before.

Nonetheless, I think it is great to see that you essentially called me a liar.

Thanks !
So, you're bamboozled by a guy who "read your facial-features" and "correctly guessed your birth-sign," yet you find Derren Brown getting multiple hits as "to be expected?" Am I missing something here? Are you missing something? What a strange fella.

Me claiming that you're fibbing is far better than me calling you a silly sausage for being gullible enough for this thread to have been created. Take that for what you will.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 07:31 AM   #122
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

As to the op, guesses is unlikely, gets by magic is unlikely (spelled impossible) but collusion with those "randomly picked" or persons listened to (by him/herself or persons hired to go through a crowd asking questions) for keys to birthdate designed to elicit such and in radio contact with the fraudster to pass description and birth time of the sucker to the fraudster.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!

Last edited by fuelair; 24th August 2017 at 07:33 AM.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 08:50 PM   #123
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
As to the op, guesses is unlikely, gets by magic is unlikely (spelled impossible) but collusion with those "randomly picked" or persons listened to (by him/herself or persons hired to go through a crowd asking questions) for keys to birthdate designed to elicit such and in radio contact with the fraudster to pass description and birth time of the sucker to the fraudster.
Specifically the techniques the churchy type fraudsters used with the people coming into their "healing the sick and infirm" crapfests.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 10:32 PM   #124
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Magician performs tricks on people in the street...

News at 11.

You ever see that David Blaine fella? He once threw a playing card through a window and into the display case of a jewelry store.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was the second-coming of our Lord Saviour, Jesus Christ.
If it was JC, he'd turn the playing card into wine, bread and fishes.

I understand it happens in Vegas and a few other places now and then but I doubt JC has anything to do with it.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 05:46 AM   #125
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Jeez, you guys are sure a bunch of doubting Tommys. Here, Bubba. This guy tells you how to do it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Guess-Someone...rological-Sign

(I was waiting for the punch line, too. There isn't one. Millions have viewed that rather lengthy How To page and found it to be excellent. It is so funny, I think Randi may have written it; perfect Poe.)
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 02:34 PM   #126
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
As for "Well let's just assume there's a connection, how could we test it", Pixel42 has already given a perfectly serviceable mechanism but she (apologies if I assume incorrectly) and others have wisely pointed out the 'why would you bother it's clearly nonsense' aspects.

If you are referring to were a claimant named signs by looking at pics, and the invigilator stacked and confirmed the pics, ...

Is that better or equal to what I proposed? I'd rather it were non-claimants looking at the pics and identifying features, as described earlier.
Bubba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 03:28 PM   #127
sadhatter
Philosopher

If you are referring to were a claimant named signs by looking at pics, and the invigilator stacked and confirmed the pics, ...

Is that better or equal to what I proposed? I'd rather it were non-claimants looking at the pics and identifying features, as described earlier.
What is the better method to test how I type my posts using invisible trolls? To lay floor around my keyboard to find their footprints? Or, to put a cage around my keyboard to prevent them from reaching it?

Seriously answer that question, and you will understand why people find yours so silly.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2017, 11:05 AM   #128
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Both threads were merged because they were the same thing, Bubba. Only you seem to think they're different questions. They're not.

Some other members recognized both topics, replying accordingly and thoughtfully apparently with a perspective different than yours. Another difference noted is that their replies are free of insults.

Quote:

But you totally avoid mentioning the fact that there was a video where Derren didn't know a single thing about any of the people whom he got multiple hits on. That's about as dishonest as you can get, Bubba.
Calling me a liar based on assuming wrongly that I viewed a video divulges all that is needed to know about you and more. I think you actually would have looked better calling me a 'silly sausage' instead of a liar. Again, thank you very much for the display. I now see no reason to read your replies.

Last edited by Bubba; 27th August 2017 at 11:19 AM.
Bubba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2017, 11:09 AM   #129
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Some other members recognized both topics, replying accordingly apparently with a perspective different than yours. Another difference noted is that their replies are free of insults.

Calling me a liar based on assuming wrongly that I viewed a video divulges all that is needed to know about you and more. I think you actually would have looked better calling me a 'silly sausage' instead of a liar. Again, thank you very much for the display. I now see no reason to read your replies.
How on earth is me telling you that you failed to mention something and are being dishonest classed as me insulting you?

The fact of the matter is that you've already been warned for repeatedly starting silly and meaningless threads, most of which you refrain from even involving yourself in.

You're offered the most logical of rebuttals and you bat them away because you seem to have a vested interest in believing in woo.

Sorry for being honest.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 08:35 PM   #130
Nakani
Muse

Is it possible that this magician on the street used paid actors for some encounters and edited out eleven, from every twelve random people he met walking around.

Eta. Couldn't watch video, just guessing.

Last edited by Nakani; 28th August 2017 at 08:38 PM.
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal