ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Old 6th September 2017, 02:18 AM   #281
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Look, I am a grad student. This is an internet message board. I could care less about full citations and holding your hand through the intertubes.

[...]
OMFG! LOOK WHAT YOU WROTE!

A grad student in what discipline? A grad student at what institute of higher learning?
Old 6th September 2017, 02:20 AM   #282
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
A grad student in what discipline?
The "I could care less" bit makes me assume English.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 02:28 AM   #283
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
But what do you do with someone who is reliable and honest and reports an outlandish claim that would seemingly be impossible to be mistaken about, unless the person was suffering from some disorder? Do you automatically assume they're lying, or have an actual disorder?
What you do is formulate a means of testing whether their claim has any veracity to it, and carry out that test. If you then carry it out repeatedly for decades and find no evidence that supports the claim, you're perfectly justified in rejecting it until somebody produces evidence more convincing than a series of anecdotes.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 02:52 AM   #284
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post

But what do you do with someone who is reliable and honest and reports an outlandish claim that would seemingly be impossible to be mistaken about, unless the person was suffering from some disorder? Do you automatically assume they're lying, or have an actual disorder? And if similar people report similar phenomena, does that make the existence of the phenomena more and or less likely? If one eyewitness reports the suspect looked like X,Y,Z, that's one thing. But if all thirty people at the scene report X,Y,Z, that's another.
Your first sentence contradicts itself. If it is an outlandish claim it is perfectly possible to be mistaken about it: that's what makes it outlandish, and that's why your China example doesn't work.
As for your depiction of skeptics' assumptions, this is a false dichotomy often thrown out by woo-merchants and conspiracy theorists (see MicahJava in the JFK thread, for example). I, for one, do not automatically assume that someone who reports an incidence of whatever woo they are talking about, is insane or lying. They could simply be mistaken. Individuals can make mistakes, and groups can too. We're human: it happens to all of us, and is not uncommon.
It might clarify your point if you could give an example of an outlandish claim about which it would be impossible to be mistaken.
Old 6th September 2017, 03:33 AM   #285
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Your first sentence contradicts itself. If it is an outlandish claim it is perfectly possible to be mistaken about it: that's what makes it outlandish, and that's why your China example doesn't work.
The other reason it's a poor analogy is that a trip to China is not a single experience. It's a whole long chain of events and activities each of which can be recalled and checked against other memories for consistency. Even though you might have a dream about being in China and later be confused about whether you'd really done that, it wouldn't take you long to get round to asking yourself questions like "when did I do that?", "how did I get there?", "why was I there?" etc.

It really doesn't compare with, say, being absolutely convinced you passed uncle Charlie on the bus this morning, even though he died 20 years ago.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 06:11 AM   #286
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Seems to me it would NOT be an option.
Doh! That was what I meant to write!
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 08:01 AM   #287
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Look, I am a grad student. This is an internet message board. I could care less about full citations and holding your hand through the intertubes.

What you are discussing is intuition...and ABSOLUTELY, some athletes can "read" setups better than others. The best athletes seem to "predict" better than others.
Well then if that is the case, then I hope that none of your professors are reading your brilliant postings about the space ships you have seen, the people from Atlantis that you say are real, and how there are a number of people with telepathic powers.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 08:03 AM   #288
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well then if that is the case, then I hope that none of your professors are reading your brilliant postings about the space ships you have seen, the people from Atlantis that you say are real, and how there are a number of people with telepathic powers.
If he's telepathic, why would they need to read the postings?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 08:04 AM   #289
Crossbow

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
Good point.

Also, if telepathy is real, then why do professors bother to provide the students with written tests?

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 03:10 PM   #290
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Good point.

Also, if telepathy is real, then why do professors bother to provide the students with written tests?

Because only special people are blessed with these extra-ordinary gifts.

And unlike those pedestrian intellectuals, KotA is one of the special people.

Oops... I switched definitions mid-post, didn't I? Sorry.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 06:02 PM   #291
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

It would be easier to create a test if KotA checked in.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 07:11 PM   #292
Crossbow

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
It would be easier to create a test if KotA checked in.
KOA may be checking in via telepathic powers.

Old 6th September 2017, 11:57 PM   #293
EHocking
Philosopher

Dave
He IS telepathic.
He responds to the posts you thought about writing, not the one you sent.

That's why his replies in the thread have no bearing on the posts that he quotes.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 12:31 AM   #294
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
He IS telepathic.
He responds to the posts you thought about writing, not the one you sent.
So why didn't he mention the baby newts or the giant pencil sharpener?

Dave

Old 7th September 2017, 03:42 AM   #295
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Dave
Don't ask, don't tell.
Old 7th September 2017, 03:45 AM   #296
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Don't ask, don't tell.
You notice that Dave Rogers didn't mention the squid - KOA is probably trying to have his brain bleached as we post....
Old 7th September 2017, 03:55 PM   #297
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Dave
S'right.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 03:57 PM   #298
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
S'right.

(and if there was an "Obscure Reference Award" you'd be nominated. Something something oranges something.)
Old 8th September 2017, 01:15 AM   #299
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
(and if there was an "Obscure Reference Award" you'd be nominated. Something something oranges something.)
"Sometimes I have these thoughts, which are, like, inside my head."

Dave

Old 8th September 2017, 03:38 AM   #300
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

"Sometimes I have these thoughts, which are, like, inside my head."

Dave
Uncle Waldo's patented bird identifying device still raises a smile.
Old Today, 05:52 AM   #301
King of the Americas
Philosopher

10 out of 52, numbers and suits.
I think I really like this test...!

Can we do ONE card a day, for 52 days, same time each day?

Maybe we could do just 7 days...I ten to get lazy, and I'm also a grad student, so free time is limited.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:54 AM   #302
King of the Americas
Philosopher

I look through the cards at an exact time KotA decides, concentrating on each card for as long as he decided.

I then post the sequence her as a hash (with some nonsense words dropped in to make it harder to crack. KotA posts his sequence and we compare.

We can make it 5 cards. The probability would be 1:3.8 million.
We'll just need a secret third party, to confirm the accuracy of the guesses...?

How should that function, to make sure I couldn't have 'cheated'...?
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:48 AM   #303
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What you are discussing is intuition...and ABSOLUTELY, some athletes can "read" setups better than others. The best athletes seem to "predict" better than others.
https://youtu.be/om7O0MFkmpw

I'll just leave this here. You could care less?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:43 AM   #304
p0lka
Muse

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
The "I could care less" bit makes me assume English.
Really? I was certain that saying "I could care less" was an American expression, they say it on their tv shows.
Over here in the UK everyone says "I couldn't care less".
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:10 AM   #305
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Really? I was certain that saying "I could care less" was an American expression, they say it on their tv shows.

Over here in the UK everyone says "I couldn't care less".

I was sarcastically suggesting he was a student of English. Not that he was English.

I agree with you about the useage; I've never heard a British person say "I could care less".
Old Today, 12:40 PM   #306
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've never heard an American say it either. At least without cringing. It literally bugs me more than "literally". But not as much as abuse of compound pronouns.
Old Today, 02:06 PM   #307
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Let's get on with the telepathy.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal