ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Louise Hay , obituaries

Reply
Old 30th August 2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Apathia
Illuminator
 
Apathia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 4,138
Louise Hay

Louise Hay, author of the pernicious little tome You Can Heal Your Life, passed away today.

My friends from back in the day when I was into "Energy Healing" (It's neither energy nor healing) are memorializing her memory.

They all had/have her You Can Heal Your Life, a book that lists ailments, diseases, and syndromes with their metaphysical/emotional/traumatic causes. The cure in each case is that you get your psychic crap in order, deal with your emotional issues, and practice positive thinking, then your body will heal itself.

Even in the height of my Reikisms, I told them that book was BS. Positive thinking is nice. Touch is nice. But people need to see a real doctor. And most of the reasons given for various conditions are laughably shallow.

The danger continues to be that people forgo necessary medical treatments and surgery, cause they think they can psych the problems away.

A dear friend of mine loved that book till she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Then she saw that what it said was cheap and worthless to her own life. She began chemo, but her friends kept slapping her with the book and the whole load of Affirmations kyarn.

The cancer was too advanced. Even after her passing they sullied her memory with accusations of how she'd brought it all on herself by negative thinking and not following the Law of Attraction.

This woman, Louise Hay, left unnecessary deaths in her wake. And since her wretched book will be published for generations, there will be more.

__________________
"At the Supreme Court level where we work, 90 percent of any decision is emotional. The rational part of us supplies the reasons for supporting our predilections."
Justice William O. Douglas

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 11:28 AM   #2
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing
 
gerdbonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Posts: 11,605
Wasn't she the publisher of Sylvia Browne's tripe?
__________________
I'll bet you didn't notice that I was naked when I wrote this.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Apathia
Illuminator
 
Apathia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 4,138
Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Wasn't she the publisher of Sylvia Browne's tripe?
Yes. HayHouse publishing.
__________________
"At the Supreme Court level where we work, 90 percent of any decision is emotional. The rational part of us supplies the reasons for supporting our predilections."
Justice William O. Douglas

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 12:19 PM   #4
HighRiser
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: High above Indianapolis
Posts: 1,793
Has anyone heard anything from either of them yet?
__________________
Congratulations, you have successfully failed to model something that you assert "isn't noticeable". -The Man

Science is not hopelessly hobbled just because it knows the difference between fact and imagination. -JayUtah
HighRiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 01:49 AM   #5
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,743
Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Louise Hay, author of the pernicious little tome You Can Heal Your Life, passed away today.

My friends from back in the day when I was into "Energy Healing" (It's neither energy nor healing) are memorializing her memory.

They all had/have her You Can Heal Your Life, a book that lists ailments, diseases, and syndromes with their metaphysical/emotional/traumatic causes. The cure in each case is that you get your psychic crap in order, deal with your emotional issues, and practice positive thinking, then your body will heal itself.

Even in the height of my Reikisms, I told them that book was BS. Positive thinking is nice. Touch is nice. But people need to see a real doctor. And most of the reasons given for various conditions are laughably shallow.

The danger continues to be that people forgo necessary medical treatments and surgery, cause they think they can psych the problems away.

A dear friend of mine loved that book till she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Then she saw that what it said was cheap and worthless to her own life. She began chemo, but her friends kept slapping her with the book and the whole load of Affirmations kyarn.

The cancer was too advanced. Even after her passing they sullied her memory with accusations of how she'd brought it all on herself by negative thinking and not following the Law of Attraction.

This woman, Louise Hay, left unnecessary deaths in her wake. And since her wretched book will be published for generations, there will be more.

A sad story and a reminder to us all of why the "What's the harm if it makes people happy" argument is bunk.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 01:59 AM   #6
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 78,865
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
A sad story and a reminder to us all of why the "What's the harm if it makes people happy" argument is bunk.
I do wonder how much harm in terms of earlier deaths and unnecessary and additional suffering she will have caused over the years of her peddling her crap.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 04:30 AM   #7
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,743
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I do wonder how much harm in terms of earlier deaths and unnecessary and additional suffering she will have caused over the years of her peddling her crap.
Less than the "totally safe and side effect free" homeopathy industry at least.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 08:55 AM   #8
Apathia
Illuminator
 
Apathia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 4,138
Here you go folks, With this handy list you can treat all illnesses as character defects! Show your friends and family how much you love them by becoming their life coach!

http://alchemyofhealing.com/causes-o...to-louise-hay/
__________________
"At the Supreme Court level where we work, 90 percent of any decision is emotional. The rational part of us supplies the reasons for supporting our predilections."
Justice William O. Douglas

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 11:17 AM   #9
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,743
Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Here you go folks, With this handy list you can treat all illnesses as character defects! Show your friends and family how much you love them by becoming their life coach!

http://alchemyofhealing.com/causes-o...to-louise-hay/
A spoonful of crazy helps the medicine go down....
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 11:20 AM   #10
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Somewhere between the central U.S. and Hades
Posts: 11,484
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
A spoonful of crazy helps the medicine go down....
And sometimes it takes a whole tanker trunk full.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 09:11 PM   #11
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 25,503
I guess she just didn't think positively enough.
__________________
"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 10:15 PM   #12
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing
 
gerdbonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Posts: 11,605
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I guess she just didn't think positively enough.
Well, she is positively dead.
__________________
I'll bet you didn't notice that I was naked when I wrote this.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.