ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th June 2019, 07:39 AM   #121
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I don't object to continuing to pay for TV licence when I turn 75 in 9 years time, I thought making it means tested was a reasonable compromise and it's good value for money.

I do object to just having had to fork out £200 for a new aerial because the government forced Freeview to change channels so they could sell their existing ones to the mobile phone networks for a shedload of cash.
What is this strange "aerial" you mention, is it a new broadband package?
Old 15th June 2019, 08:05 AM   #122
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

As a 70 year old American, I don't pay for a TV license. I just fork over a couple hundred bucks to the cable company like everybody else. I should look up, I guess, how many people actually depend on broadcast TV. I suspect not many.
Old 15th June 2019, 10:05 AM   #123
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
As a 70 year old American, I don't pay for a TV license. I just fork over a couple hundred bucks to the cable company like everybody else. I should look up, I guess, how many people actually depend on broadcast TV. I suspect not many.

in UK, the TV license is apparently required for all live viewing, including cable and internet streaming, not just over-the-air.
Quote:
In the United Kingdom and the Crown dependencies, any household watching or recording live television transmissions as they are being broadcast (terrestrial, satellite, cable, or Internet) is required to hold a television licence. Businesses, hospitals, schools and a range of other organisations are also required to hold television licences to watch and record live TV broadcasts.[1] A television licence is also required to receive video on demand programme services provided by the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation), on the iPlayer catch-up service.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televi...United_Kingdom

Do you really watch enough TV to pay a couple hundred dollars a month? That seems pretty high. Have you explored alternatives?
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/ho...o-if-you-cant/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 10:41 AM   #124
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Australia did away with radio and television licences in 1975 and decided to fund the ABC from general revenue instead.

A couple of years later, the government flirted with the reintroduction of TV licences. But by then, colour television had become standard and the licence fee for colour TVs would have been much higher than for their black and white counterparts. This killed the idea stone dead.
Old 15th June 2019, 11:07 AM   #125
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
in UK, the TV license is apparently required for all live viewing, including cable and internet streaming, not just over-the-air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televi...United_Kingdom

Do you really watch enough TV to pay a couple hundred dollars a month? That seems pretty high. Have you explored alternatives?

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/ho...o-if-you-cant/
The couple hundred includes phone an internet, so I was exaggerating a bit.
Old 15th June 2019, 12:32 PM   #126
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
You don’t look to be older than 75.
Nowhere near it but I can still comment.
Old 15th June 2019, 06:24 PM   #127
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Nowhere near it but I can still comment.
I was going for a play on free for over 75s and your “I’m free”.

And obviously missed the mark . . . .
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events