ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 06:33 AM   #2361
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Sigh...

Does this remind anyone else of Maggie Simpson?

"Toot, toot!"
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #2362
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Does this remind anyone else of Maggie Simpson?

"Toot, toot!"
500 years from now those pictures will symbolize the fall of America as a world power.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:59 AM   #2363
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
And here we have the 'I don't care if half of one side is bigoted, if I can find a single bigot on the other side they're both bad', also known as a false equivalency.
Provide proof of half.
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #2364
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Provide proof of half.
Speaking of providing proof for repeated and unsupported claims, how about your claim that Trump's election came in part because of the "deplorables" comment?
Old Today, 10:03 AM   #2365
wareyin
Philosopher

Provide proof of half.
Provide proof that both sides are equally bad.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:53 AM   #2366
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Has this been posted yet? It's stunning!

We Redacted Everything That's Not a Verifiably True Statement From Trump's Time Interview About Truth
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:22 PM   #2367
Emily's Cat

Provide proof that both sides are equally bad.
I never claimed that both sides are equally bad. Go back and look.

ETA: What I have said, is that if it is acceptable to condemn ALL Trump supporters as bigots and bigot-toleraters on the basis of SOME Trump supporters being bigots, then it is equally valid to condemn ALL Clinton supporters on the same basis.

Group A contains some X. The presence of X within Group A taints all of group A. If Group B also contains some X, then the presence of X within Group A should also taint all of Group B.
Old Today, 12:25 PM   #2368
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I saw that article earlier today. The man really is nuts.
Old Today, 12:27 PM   #2369
Emily's Cat

That's not stunning, it's sensationalism.

Take any editorial, take any interview with any person of any type or level of renown. Then go through and redact anything that isn't VERIFIABLY TRUE. That means every opinion, every interpretation, every assumption, every bit of common courtesy and conversation. Leave only those things that are explicitly VERIFIABLE as true. In any given case you're going to get a whole bunch of black. This isn't some kind of novel journalism, this is the manufacture of drama for the sake of OMG ratings and outrage.

A much more effective approach would be to redact anything that is VERIFIABLY FALSE. Trump would probably have a lot more black statements than just about anyone else. The sensationalist twist for ratings is wholly unnecessary with this guy.
Old Today, 12:30 PM   #2370
wareyin
Philosopher

I never claimed that both sides are equally bad. Go back and look.

ETA: What I have said, is that if it is acceptable to condemn ALL Trump supporters as bigots and bigot-toleraters on the basis of SOME Trump supporters being bigots, then it is equally valid to condemn ALL Clinton supporters on the same basis.

Group A contains some X. The presence of X within Group A taints all of group A. If Group B also contains some X, then the presence of X within Group A should also taint all of Group B.
And, here is that false equivalence, again. Say group A contains 75% of X, but group B contains 10% of x, would you really condemn both equally? How about if group a contains 50%, but group b contains 25%?

Of course, if you really, really like group A despite the 50% of x, all you have to do is claim that polls showing 50% of x don't meet your standards, so you have no idea how much of x group A has. It won't fool anyone, though.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:31 PM   #2371
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Speaking of providing proof for repeated and unsupported claims, how about your claim that Trump's election came in part because of the "deplorables" comment?
I have been quite clear in referencing this as my opinion. It is (and will continue to be) my opinion that her comment, among several other factors, is likely to have impacted voter decisions.

And just like you, I'll continue to argue my opinion until someone provides actual proof that my opinion is false. Other people giving me a counter opinion isn't proof - it's a contrary opinion.
Old Today, 12:37 PM   #2372
Emily's Cat

And, here is that false equivalence, again. Say group A contains 75% of X, but group B contains 10% of x, would you really condemn both equally? How about if group a contains 50%, but group b contains 25%?

Of course, if you really, really like group A despite the 50% of x, all you have to do is claim that polls showing 50% of x don't meet your standards, so you have no idea how much of x group A has. It won't fool anyone, though.
None of this is what I've done. Many of the Clinton supporters have been hating on Trump supporters (not Trump himself), and have written them off as "supporting" or "condoning" racism and sexism. The argument has been made that Trump supporters are bad people, because they continued to support a candidate who was also supported by bigots. The presence of some of Trump's supporters being bigots has been sufficient in their eyes to taint ALL of Trump's supporters. They've all been dirtied by association.

It is fallacious to claim that Group A is ALL tainted because there are some X within A. It's further fallacious to prop up that lack of logic by claiming that A should have been B to avoid being tainted by X when B also contains X.

ETA: Seriously - this would be like someone claiming that all Muslims are bad because some Muslims are terrorists. Especially if they're busy implying that Muslims should all convert to Christianity. Christianity also contains terrorists. The presence of *more* terrorists being Muslims isn't sufficient to support conversion on the basis of not wanting to be associated with terrorists! It's an argument full of gaping holes when used against Muslims, and it's an argument full of holes when it's used against politics too. Both of these are fallacious and flawed arguments.

Last edited by Emily's Cat; Today at 12:40 PM.
Emily's Cat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:39 PM   #2373
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Note the awesome correction at the end:
Quote:
Correction: We actually missed another false statement. Trump received 306 electoral college votes on election day, but thanks to two “faithless” electors, his official tally is 304; his claims that he “ended up at 306” and “ended up getting to 306" are technically false.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics