ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st February 2019, 03:46 PM   #81
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Saw it here in the US when it was screened again on a special one night only release. I found it very affecting. I have seen WWI footage in the past, but the quality issues, especially the frame rate issues, made it seem unreal. The corrected and restored footage was really something special.

I stuck around after the credits for Jackson's "making of" video that explain some of the technical work done. Seems that they have lots and lots of footage that they restored, but ultimately didn't use in order to keep the scope of the film focused (which seems a wise decision). I would hope that it is included in a home release.

To my American ear, some of the voices were a bit hard to make sense of. Given that many of them were elderly when recorded, and some had quite thick accents, this is to be expected. I imagine a brit wouldn't have this problem. If it were watching at home, I would probably opt for subtitles at some points.

I thought Jackson's solution to having no footage of actual intense hand-to-hand fighting pretty good, considering the lack of better options.
For what it's worth, I'm American and didn't have any trouble understanding what anyone was saying.

What are you referring to when you mention his solution to having no footage of actual fighting? I agree that there was no footage, but am unclear as to what you mean by his solution.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:43 PM   #82
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
What are you referring to when you mention his solution to having no footage of actual fighting? I agree that there was no footage, but am unclear as to what you mean by his solution.
He's referring to an all-out attack across no-man's-land. The closest footage available is of a small raid setting out. What Mr. Jackson used instead was selected period drawings to show a battle; he discusses this in the making-of mini-documentary shown after the credits.
Old 5th March 2019, 05:04 PM   #83
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Yep, he said all the explosions etc were recorded on a range with The NZDF. They put a lot of effort into the various details.

They also used lip readers to work out what soldiers in the footage were saying. Then rounded up some actors from all over the UK to get different dialects and dubbed in some bits of speech. For one part, a reading of some battle plans, they tracked down what they thought they might have been, and read different bits at different speeds until the lip reader was happy that it was the correct dialogue relating to the bit of paper in the film.

Interesting. When documentaries like these add in sounds (Ken Burns and everyone else I suppose) it's distracting to me. All I can think is "no way they recorded audio here too. How come that bomb exploding a mile away is heard instantly? How come all the big guns sound exactly the same? Is any of this real?

Sometimes I wish they'd just leave it out.
Old 6th March 2019, 06:15 AM   #84
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
For what it's worth, I'm American and didn't have any trouble understanding what anyone was saying.

Must just be me then. I have a terrible ear for understanding thick accents.

By solution, I mean his use of the illustrations depicting trench fighting that were from home front propaganda at the time.
Old 12th March 2019, 01:17 PM   #85
bignickel
Mad Mod Poet God

Watched it over the weekend. Saw lots of the old footage with narration and I began to wonder if price of admission is as worth it

Then the film filled that screen , turned to almost lifelike film quality, and color. My jaw dropped. By the time it got to artillery bursts at night I was cringing in my seat.

When they went out of the trench and got mowed down by mg, that was heartbreaking. What made the subsequent film of artillery going off so powerful was knowing that this is real footage. Any war film I’ve seen is paced from an editing / directing POV; that was gone here ; it was just totally random with every bullet and artillery shell. You could see and hear just how random death is on the Battlefield. “You never hear the one that gets you” indeed.
"You can find that book everywhere and the risk is that many people who read it believe that those fairy tales are real. I think I have the responsibility to clear things up to unmask the cheap lies contained in books like that."
- Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone

Last edited by bignickel; 12th March 2019 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Edit
bignickel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts