IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:25 PM   #1
rustypouch
Philosopher

Why I am no longer a skeptic

http://subversivethinking.blogspot.c...no-longer.html

A friend's grilfriend posted this on facebook, so I thought I'd share.

I could probably spend a week trying to address all the strawmen and other fallacies...
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 03:31 PM   #2
azzthom
Muse

Why I am no longer a skeptic I'm having a mid-life crisis. Fixed that for him.
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Why I decided being simple-minded is easier.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Baffled
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
Quote:
All skeptics are neoliberals: if you do not consider yourself a neoliberal, you should not consider yourself a skeptic.

Wow, what a neojerk.

I for one did not realize "skeptic" was a permanent label, rather than just a situational way to act. When I ponder a likelihood, I am being a skeptic; when I'm reading an argument, I am being a skeptic; but when I am sleeping, I am not being a skeptic. It is a cloak I don at particular moments, not my skin.

When I am playing baseball, I am a baseball player. When I am watching television, I am a television viewer. When I am faced with puzzling evidence, I am a skeptic. I am, at times, each of these things; but at no time am I all three.

And never, ever, have I been a neoliberal.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

I believe the author makes a common mistake, namely categorizing skepticism as a philosophy. But it's not; it's a technique for learning things upon which to build a philosophy. As such, it's not sexist nor neoliberal nor anything else.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:17 PM   #6
ravdin
Illuminator

Which one of you appointed Elevator Guy to be the spokesman for all skeptics? I have a bone to pick with you. Fess up.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 04:32 PM   #7
FrederickEason
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Why I decided being simple-minded is easier.
To be fair, the author did not abandon skeptical thinking, he abandoned the skeptic community, which are two separate entities.
FrederickEason is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by FrederickEason View Post
To be fair, the author did not abandon skeptical thinking, he abandoned the skeptic community, which are two separate entities.
"All skeptics are neoliberals . . . " is not an example of critical thinking. "Neoliberal thugs like Christopher Hitchens . . . " isn't either.

"What's so bad about fortune tellers . . . " is an example of simplistic thought however. It is certainly true that some see psychics and their lot as a form of entertainment, but if this fellow doesn't think these charlatans have a darker side, he hasn't done much investigation into these phonies at all.

Like I said, simple-minded.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 04:47 PM   #9
squealpiggy
Graduate Poster

I sort of see what he's doing. He isn't stopping being a skeptic, he's just rejecting the label. In other words, this:

http://xkcd.com/774/

ETA there are a few tropes trotted out here. First there's a reference to "old white men" which means that... Rebecca Watson isn't far behind...

Sure enough there's a link a few paragraphs in to a blog article repeated her "rape threats from skeptical community" line.

I wonder if the term "skeptic" as a label is being deliberately discredited as an out-group.

Last edited by squealpiggy; 28th January 2013 at 04:51 PM.
squealpiggy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 04:50 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

So, he's no longer a skeptic...

Quote:
I still have no faith in anything supernatural, mystical, psychical or spiritual. I still regard the scientific method as the best way to model reality, and reason as the best way to uncover truth. I'm no longer a skeptic, but not one of my core beliefs has changed.

So, he is in fact, a skeptic!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 05:01 PM   #11
ravdin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
So, he is in fact, a skeptic!
NO!!! That means by his own logic, he's also a neoliberal. That's the worst insult ever!

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 05:01 PM   #12
squealpiggy
Graduate Poster

At about the halfway point of the article I thought to myself "Is he still going?"

What did I learn? Anyone who calls themselves a skeptic is a bore (though not too boring to write over 7000 words complaining about), is white and old and male, is racist, is bogus, hates women and is a "neoliberal thug" whatever that means.

I don't know who Stephen Bond is nor do I know what his username on the Atheism Plus forum is.

ETA I took a browse of the blog. Posted items include a documentary claiming the Turin Shroud is authentic and some study suggesting intercessory prayer helps chimpanzees recover from illness, each without any commentary from the blogger. A few items suggesting that groups like Centre for Inquiry are pseudoskeptical groups of monstrous human beings. A short eulogy of Christopher Hitchens claiming that he was an "unsophisticated thinker" together with a video of him "handily losing" a debate with William Lane Craig. A claim that Richard Dawkins is a hypocrite because he states that "good" and"evil" are subjective but he called a documentary about religion "The Root of All Evil" (sic - the documentary was called "The Root of All Evil?" and the question mark changes the meaning of the title).

I still don't know who Stephen Bond is but I'm beginning to think he never was a skeptic.

Last edited by squealpiggy; 28th January 2013 at 05:12 PM.
squealpiggy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

I have a feeling this guy is a political ideologue who lost one too many arguments.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 06:16 PM   #14
desertgal
Illuminator

I was gonna be a neoliberal once, but there's a membership fee.
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 06:18 PM   #15
Acleron
Master Poster

Originally Posted by squealpiggy View Post
At about the halfway point of the article I thought to myself "Is he still going?"

What did I learn? Anyone who calls themselves a skeptic is a bore (though not too boring to write over 7000 words complaining about), is white and old and male, is racist, is bogus, hates women and is a "neoliberal thug" whatever that means.

I don't know who Stephen Bond is nor do I know what his username on the Atheism Plus forum is.

ETA I took a browse of the blog. Posted items include a documentary claiming the Turin Shroud is authentic and some study suggesting intercessory prayer helps chimpanzees recover from illness, each without any commentary from the blogger. A few items suggesting that groups like Centre for Inquiry are pseudoskeptical groups of monstrous human beings. A short eulogy of Christopher Hitchens claiming that he was an "unsophisticated thinker" together with a video of him "handily losing" a debate with William Lane Craig. A claim that Richard Dawkins is a hypocrite because he states that "good" and"evil" are subjective but he called a documentary about religion "The Root of All Evil" (sic - the documentary was called "The Root of All Evil?" and the question mark changes the meaning of the title).

I still don't know who Stephen Bond is but I'm beginning to think he never was a skeptic.
Being old, white and male I resemble that remark. But I have to laugh at the idea of grey haired men in wheel chairs being thugs.
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 07:44 PM   #16
De_Bunk
Scourge of the Believer

Me..Well, i just dont believe in bollox..

Sorry if i haven't got any 'intelligent debate' on this subject..

It's still all just total garbage..

Why even bother discussing this?

DB

Trouble is..nearly 25,000 have been deleted...100% true..(Thanks to someone messing with the database..and you know who you are)

And you think you're 'Hardcore'.. (DB)
De_Bunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 07:48 PM   #17
Kid Eager
Philosopher

meh... that's *so* 2011... (the article in the link is a cut-and-paste from the August 2011 original in the author's blog)

Last edited by Kid Eager; 28th January 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 07:54 PM   #18
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

A lot of mischaracterization of the skeptic movement not to mention a whole lot of absurd thinking we all have the same agenda and act accordingly. Clearly he doesn't like/approve of some individuals who call themselves skeptics. D'uh, what skeptic likes what every other skeptic is doing?

Or, maybe he's just looking for attention.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 08:11 PM   #19
StankApe
Banned

I think he has a crush in Rebecca
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 09:41 PM   #20
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
I think he has a crush in Rebecca
You're half right - but I suspect the crush is on himself.

Thank god there are heroes like him around to tear the scab of the sordid underbelly of Teh Skepticismssss!!!

I read the article. It's pure Sancho Panza gloriously killing a pinata of his own creation.
Old 28th January 2013, 10:10 PM   #21
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post

I read the article. It's pure Sancho Panza gloriously killing a pinata of his own creation.
WOW... I read the first paragraph... then started scrolling down for what seemed like forever............................. I said **** this.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 01:02 AM   #22
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't even get that far. I thought it was starting to get tedious, scrolled down to the bottom of the page, and decided that I had better things to do with my life.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 02:22 AM   #23
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Oh crap. I'm 46. How many years till I can call myself a skeptic?
Old 29th January 2013, 02:27 AM   #24
Baffled
Critical Thinker

...some study suggesting intercessory prayer helps chimpanzees recover from illness....

How can they tell when the chimpanzees are praying intercessorarily?
Old 29th January 2013, 02:37 AM   #25
anglolawyer
Banned

I didn't know I was part of a skeptic community until I read that. Yikes!

Hey, and 'we' are sexists too. No one picked that up yet. Must say I don't have that general impression of the folks round these parts but maybe there are better informed opinions about it.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 02:51 AM   #26
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Hey, and 'we' are sexists too. No one picked that up yet. Must say I don't have that general impression of the folks round these parts but maybe there are better informed opinions about it.
You chicks are always the last ones to notice.
Old 29th January 2013, 05:34 AM   #27
squealpiggy
Graduate Poster

Unfortunately there is no comments section. I was going to accuse him of "mansplaining".
Old 29th January 2013, 05:39 AM   #28
anglolawyer
Banned

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
You chicks are always the last ones to notice.
As is obvious from my avatar - I'm a guy.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 05:54 AM   #29
calebprime
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
You're half right - but I suspect the crush is on himself.

Thank god there are heroes like him around to tear the scab of the sordid underbelly of Teh Skepticismssss!!!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s....1.5v41O4Jee1o

I've never succeeded in reading _Don Quixote_, so I'm not sure I get it, but it's not important.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 06:17 AM   #30
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Must say I don't have that general impression of the folks round these parts but maybe there are better informed opinions about it.
Don't worry your pretty little head about it, sweetie.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 08:01 AM   #31
justintime
Banned

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Oh crap. I'm 46. How many years till I can call myself a skeptic?
Skeptics are produced in childhood. You might already be a skeptic without realizing it.

I posted a study done in Australia on how skeptics are produced.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...248789&page=34
justintime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 08:59 AM   #32
DrDave
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Baffled View Post
Wow, what a neojerk.

I for one did not realize "skeptic" was a permanent label, rather than just a situational way to act. When I ponder a likelihood, I am being a skeptic; when I'm reading an argument, I am being a skeptic; but when I am sleeping, I am not being a skeptic. It is a cloak I don at particular moments, not my skin.

When I am playing baseball, I am a baseball player. When I am watching television, I am a television viewer. When I am faced with puzzling evidence, I am a skeptic. I am, at times, each of these things; but at no time am I all three.

But if you just shag one goat...
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 10:28 AM   #33
Cayvmann
Muse

Originally Posted by justintime View Post
Skeptics are produced in childhood. You might already be a skeptic without realizing it.

I was born old and white??? I never had a chance...
Cayvmann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 03:00 PM   #34
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Could we fix the "politicized group-think label versus reasonable way-of-thinking" issue by coming up with a term for a skeptic who is not politicized?

Perhaps paleo-skeptic?

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim

Last edited by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos; 29th January 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 03:05 PM   #35
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
Could we fix the "politicized group-think label versus reasonable way-of-thinking" issue by coming up with a term for a skeptic who is not politicized?

Perhaps paleo-skeptic?

~~ Paul
Prove-its

Proofers?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 03:29 PM   #36
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
WOW... I read the first paragraph... then started scrolling down for what seemed like forever............................. I said **** this.
So glad I wasn't the only one. I could barely understand the first paragraph and thought maybe I was losing my mind.

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 04:09 PM   #37
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by justintime View Post

WOW! I always thought that stork story was a myth!
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 09:06 PM   #38
Baffled
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
WOW! I always thought that stork story was a myth!

It is!
Old 30th January 2013, 01:13 AM   #39
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Baffled View Post
Wow, what a neojerk.

...what are you, right now?

An indoor elephant breeder.
Old 30th January 2013, 01:15 AM   #40
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

I thought you was purdy cool, hitherto that baseball playing comment.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal