IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nostradamus

Old 19th November 2010, 04:20 AM   #761
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I can think of better descriptions of this nonsense, but at least "wahtveers" doesn't breach Rule 10.

Ah, but you don't know what it means in Dutch.*

*Neither do I.

I woonder whaat Noorstraadaarmaus woold haave maade oove it.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2010, 04:58 AM   #762
dafydd
Banned

Noorstradamuis,In Dutch.Maus is German.Pedant mode off.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2010, 05:13 AM   #763
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Noorstradamuis,In Dutch.Maus is German.Pedant mode off.

It's only pedantry when others do it, my friend.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2010, 05:27 AM   #764
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Rwalsh View Post
I know James Randi is very skeptic in the beleif of Nostradamus - to whom I feel sorry for.

So here is my Decipher. Only I written it for the queen instead of the Kings name.

http://newsaxon.org/blog/view/id_17448

Edited by Locknar:  Edited, breach of Rule 4.
Why would Nostradamus write about a political figure of such low importance ?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2010, 05:45 AM   #765
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

He was boord.

Old 19th November 2010, 12:00 PM   #766
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
He was boord.
So that's how they get those holes in the cheese.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2010, 06:31 AM   #767
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Take out only paragraph sentences that have numbers in them?
Yes! And if that doesn't work, keep doing other mathy things with other abitrarily selected numbers until you get the answer you want.

Isn't science great?

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 07:16 PM   #768
Rwalsh
Banned

“The first man who, having fenced in a piece of land, said “This is mine,” and found people naïve enough to believe him, that man was the true founder of civil society. From how many crimes, wars, and murders, from how many horrors and misfortunes might not any one have saved mankind, by pulling up the stakes, or filling up the ditch, and crying to his fellows: Beware of listening to this impostor; you are undone if you once forget that the fruits of the earth belong to us all, and the earth itself to NOBODY.”
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 08:04 PM   #769
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

“The first man who, having fenced in a piece of land, said “This is mine,” and found people naïve enough to believe him, that man was the true founder of civil society. From how many crimes, wars, and murders, from how many horrors and misfortunes might not any one have saved mankind, by pulling up the stakes, or filling up the ditch, and crying to his fellows: Beware of listening to this impostor; you are undone if you once forget that the fruits of the earth belong to us all, and the earth itself to NOBODY.”
Wow, that is a really silly quote. Who said it?

The first person to put up a fence did so after weeding the land and tilling the land and planting seeds there. He did so to say, "I have worked hard to make this land fruitful, therefore it belongs to me. If you try to take this land I will kill you, for you will be taking my food and leaving my family to starve."
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 08:05 PM   #770
fromdownunder
Philosopher

So you win't mind if I come and live in your house?

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 08:51 PM   #771
Kid Eager
Philosopher

What he actually said was "would you lazy sods stop stealing my livestock?".

To which the lazy sods replied... "sorry dude, but they were just wandering around and we though, you know, that they were like for anybody. So we kilt it and eateh it. Our bad, but how were we to know?"

Dude: "Righto then - see this, I'm calling this a fence on account of that word not already being taken. Stock on this side of the fence is my stuff."

LS: "Fair enough, but I see a hole in your logic - the stock can get around the fence. Are they for eateh then?"

Dude: "Hmmm... I need to think this through. Okay, see this? I'm joining then ends of the fence so that they can't get out, so inside they're mine, outside they're not." I'm going to call this shape a supercalifragilisticexpialadicious, on account of that word not already being taken."

LS: "You might want to rethink the name - sounds like the noise a mammoth makes when it sneezes."

Dude: "Might be right about that - the missus doesn't like the name either."

LS: "By the way, how do you get the stock or yourself out of the supercalifragilisticexpialadicious? There's no hole.

Dude: "Nobody likes a smarty pants, whatever pants are."

KE
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 04:22 AM   #772
Ririon
Cool cat

-Jean-Jacques Rousseau (from Discourse on Inequality (1754), emphasis added.)
ftfy

Last edited by Ririon; 30th November 2010 at 04:23 AM.
Ririon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 04:59 PM   #773
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Weak Kitten View Post
Wow, that is a really silly quote. Who said it?

The first person to put up a fence did so after weeding the land and tilling the land and planting seeds there. He did so to say, "I have worked hard to make this land fruitful, therefore it belongs to me. If you try to take this land I will kill you, for you will be taking my food and leaving my family to starve."

I'll give you a Hint

Century I. Quatrain 7

Arrived too late, the act has been done.
The wind was against them, letters intercepted on their way.
The conspirators were fourteen of a party.
By Rousseau shall these enterprises be undertaken.
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 05:53 PM   #774
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

I'll give you a Hint

Century I. Quatrain 7

What is this supposed to mean? It's as nonsensical as everything else Nostradamus wrote. Perhaps I should amend my question to read, "What are you stretching this quatrain to mean?"
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 06:54 PM   #775
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
What is this supposed to mean? It's as nonsensical as everything else Nostradamus wrote. Perhaps I should amend my question to read, "What are you stretching this quatrain to mean?"
Should it mean anything at all. is the question, yes.

Last edited by Rwalsh; 30th November 2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 30th November 2010, 07:03 PM   #776
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Congratulations - you have managed a new record for creating an incomprehensible post in the least possible words.

I can only respond to that by exclaiming: "Elbows? Friesan cows were Thursday."
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 12:28 AM   #777
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

[the tivo delivery was late, the programme had been broadcast
[the weather was too bad for the post and delayed it]
[the delivery lorry had fourteen packages to deliver]
[Rousseau Enterprises, Gainesville (a filling station) agreed to hold the packages]
Hey, wow!
Old 1st December 2010, 01:49 AM   #778
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

I think you're getting there, nathan, but that the prophecy actually refers to my new phone not being delivered today owing to the snow. We shall see if this is correct.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 02:00 AM   #779
Mojo
Mostly harmless

No. Is the answer, yes?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 05:24 PM   #780
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
I think you're getting there, nathan, but that the prophecy actually refers to my new phone not being delivered today owing to the snow. We shall see if this is correct.
My new phone was not delivered today owing to the snow. Please note that I used the work of Nastidampness to predict a future event and was correct. I trust that Rwalsh will acknowledge my superior skill at understanding the works of the great seer.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 10:31 PM   #781
Rwalsh
Banned

Folks "Nostradamus is correct"

Last edited by Rwalsh; 1st December 2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 1st December 2010, 11:11 PM   #782
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

"Have you got any evidence for such a claim?" he asked, knowing full well the answer.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:45 AM   #783
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Correct about what?
Old 2nd December 2010, 03:14 AM   #784
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Yes, as long as I'm the one interpreting him. Can you acknowledge that?

Old 2nd December 2010, 05:30 AM   #785
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by nathan View Post
Correct about what?
Nothing.
Old 2nd December 2010, 05:46 AM   #786
EHocking
Philosopher

No.

"Michel de Nostredame" is correct.

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2010, 05:48 AM   #787
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Nothing.
What, even when he said 'I'm thirsty', he was wrong?
Perhaps he said 'I've written a book'. Is that too incorrect?

I think you're being too hard on him
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:31 AM   #788
dafydd
Banned

What, even when he said 'I'm thirsty', he was wrong?
Perhaps he said 'I've written a book'. Is that too incorrect?

I think you're being too hard on him
I will stop being hard on him when he makes an accurate prediction instead of retro-fitting events into an obscure quatrain that could mean anything.
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:46 AM   #789
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

I will stop being hard on him when he makes an accurate prediction instead of retro-fitting events into an obscure quatrain that could mean anything.
he he. By 'him' I meant nostro, not our resident nostro-interpreter Be as hard on that 'him' as you like.
Old 2nd December 2010, 01:37 PM   #790
dafydd
Banned

he he. By 'him' I meant nostro, not our resident nostro-interpreter Be as hard on that 'him' as you like.
Roger,wilco.
Old 2nd December 2010, 02:48 PM   #791
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Why did you put that phrase in quotation marks? Quotation marks mean either:

A - You are repeating someone else's words exactly as he or she said them
B - You intend to make your statement sarcastic or ironic
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2010, 05:37 PM   #792
dafydd
Banned

This clip from the wonderful show QI puts old Nostra in his place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iffo4iy5bys
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:51 PM   #793
Rwalsh
Banned

Jam... I heard his favorite food was spicy hott chilli. I heard that he also wrote many books.
Such as "Nostradamus first book" Orus Apollo,
I found this out but, Dont know if its fiction or made up.

http://www.propheties.it/nostradamus/orus/firstbook.htm

Either way. Much has been stated by Nostradamus that he had many volumes of books, Im sure he had plenty from the writings of The Oracle of Delphi. Even for the subject of the oracles work, it had the same short small sentences much like Nostradamus has used.

You know... Its often difficult for even myself to know if a person can see the future.
But I rather think I am good at researching and finding out what knowledge seems fit.

There are so many prophets in this world- Some highly religious, some highly spiritual. It is these people I find intresting.
Although, never ever being able to.. being as great as they! Whos great power and wealth and such goodness. Perhaps God favours them over us common loosers.

People who set out to achieve there best, magnificents and splendor even at young ages, and carrying out never ever sinning or doing wrong in the world as innocent as they come in and as they leave the earth.

Ya. maybe im not making sense. But I feel that its all soo true, I see this, I see what these people are capable of yet all I can do is watch and try to understand.

Were weak minded. Thats for certain

Goodness comes to those who- Give and give and give, its these Good generious people who are capable of such higher communication with God I suppose.

Yet I am selfish- and my fellow men are selfish. When Can I be as Great as they and Give back to life, save them, feed them, clothe them, shelter them, aid them. AID THEM.

Last edited by Rwalsh; 3rd December 2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:31 AM   #794
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Ok, then "Nostradamus is correct about cherry jam".
Old 3rd December 2010, 02:23 AM   #795
Aitch

Ok, then "Nostradamus is correct about cherry jam".
I have a copy of The Elixirs of Nostradamus (got it cheap through Amazon). The second half is a collection of recipes for preserves and such. It includes a recipe for making a transparent jelly from bitter cherries, but no jam recipe as such.
Aitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 03:38 AM   #796
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I found this out but, Dont know if its fiction or made up.

A bit like your "deciphers".

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 03:46 AM   #797
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

You know... Its often difficult for even myself to know if a person can see the future.
It may be difficult for you, but for most people it's very easy. They just need to ask themselves whether the person's predictions are right more often than they would expect them to be by chance and/or with the use of a little intelligent guesswork. For Nostradamus, who made hardly any predictions specific enough to make such an assessment, the answer is very obviously no.

Quote:
But I rather think I am good at researching and finding out what knowledge seems fit.
I can't imagine what gives you that idea. This thread provides ample evidence of how very, very bad at it you are. Your very first "decipher" - the one still preserved in the title of this thread - was utterly demolished on the first page by people who needed only a couple of minutes research to do so, and you have yet to produce anything better.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 05:13 AM   #798
dafydd
Banned

Quote:
Ya. maybe im not making sense.
You have got one thing right in this thread.

Quote:
Were weak minded.
Speak for yourself.

Quote:
Goodness comes to those who- Give and give and give, its these Good generious people who are capable of such higher communication with God I suppose

Do you have evidence of the existence of this god of which you speak?
Old 3rd December 2010, 06:21 AM   #799
Ririon
Cool cat

Do you have evidence of the existence of this god of which you speak?
And he obviously doesn't work quite like Rwalsh suggests, since these people with the "special gifts" tend to "receive and receive and receive" more than they "give and give and give".
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:46 AM   #800
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Ririon View Post
And he obviously doesn't work quite like Rwalsh suggests, since these people with the "special gifts" tend to "receive and receive and receive" more than they "give and give and give".
All the people with "special gifts" that I have come across in my life were either frauds or self-deluded.Or both.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal