IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nostradamus

Old 3rd December 2010, 11:03 AM   #801
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Rwalsh View Post
You know... Its often difficult for even myself to know if a person can see the future.
"Even myself"? Are you endowed with a seer locating device?

Quote:
But I rather think I am good at researching and finding out what knowledge seems fit.
Actually, you're not. Unless the idea is to force a bunch of disjointed, unrelated ramblings to fit certain events, you're really bad at it.

Quote:
There are so many prophets in this world- Some highly religious, some highly spiritual. It is these people I find intresting.
There are no prophets in the world.

Quote:
Although, never ever being able to.. being as great as they! Whos great power and wealth and such goodness.
To whom are you referring?

Quote:
Perhaps God favours them over us common loosers.
To whom are you referring?

Quote:
People who set out to achieve there best, magnificents and splendor even at young ages, and carrying out never ever sinning or doing wrong in the world as innocent as they come in and as they leave the earth.
Human beings are human beings, pal. Perfection among them is a myth in your own mind.

Quote:
Were weak minded. Thats for certain
Speak for yourself.

Quote:
Ya. maybe im not making sense.
There's no "maybe" about it.

Quote:
Goodness comes to those who- Give and give and give, its these Good generious people who are capable of such higher communication with God I suppose.
Poppycock.

Quote:
Yet I am selfish- and my fellow men are selfish. When Can I be as Great as they and Give back to life, save them, feed them, clothe them, shelter them, aid them. AID THEM.
Who is "they"?
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:37 PM   #802
dafydd
Banned

There are no prophets,but there are those who profit from other people's gullibility.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:47 PM   #803
bookitty
Philosopher

Yet I am selfish- and my fellow men are selfish. When Can I be as Great as they and Give back to life, save them, feed them, clothe them, shelter them, aid them. AID THEM.
People may be selfish but we would all be saints if we had unlimited funds and unlimited time. As it is we muddle through with what we've got. Being great, in this case defined as being empathetic and selfless, is not the prerogative of those who can make grand gestures. You can feed, clothe, and aid people right now.

Food banks and homeless shelters always need donations. It might not be a big deal to you but a warm jacket and bag of groceries could be heaven to someone else. Go. Get off your computer and be great for a day.
Old 3rd December 2010, 02:09 PM   #804
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
Seerdar {TM}

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 03:16 PM   #805
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

Originally Posted by bookitty View Post
People may be selfish but we would all be saints if we had unlimited funds and unlimited time. As it is we muddle through with what we've got. Being great, in this case defined as being empathetic and selfless, is not the prerogative of those who can make grand gestures. You can feed, clothe, and aid people right now.

Food banks and homeless shelters always need donations. It might not be a big deal to you but a warm jacket and bag of groceries could be heaven to someone else. Go. Get off your computer and be great for a day.
That's right! As a matter of fact, I just sent 4 or 5 pairs of long johns to a charity who will distribute them on Skid Row. We're having an unusually severe winter so they will be much appreciated and may even save a life. Certainly the recipients will be in heaven when they get them, and I didn't really need them any more.
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 08:27 PM   #806
Rwalsh
Banned

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''

Last edited by Rwalsh; 3rd December 2010 at 08:45 PM.
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 08:30 PM   #807
Rwalsh
Banned

You honestly Believe that Nostradamus mentions Rousseau not to be the philosopher of the 1700's?

I know Nostradamus taste in Literature, and Im sure he would have been much pleased with Rousseau created in his enlightment

http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/economics/rousseau/inequality/index.htm

Quote:
I conceive that there are two kinds of inequality among the human species; one, which I call natural or physical, because it is established by nature, and consists in a difference of age, health, bodily strength, and the qualities of the mind or of the soul: and another, which may be called moral or political inequality, because it depends on a kind of convention, and is established, or at least authorised by the consent of men. This latter consists of the different privileges, which some men enjoy to the prejudice of others; such as that of being more rich, more honoured, more powerful or even in a position to exact obedience.

This then is the question asked me, and that which I propose to discuss in the following discourse. As my subject interests mankind in general, I shall endeavour to make use of a style adapted to all nations, or rather, forgetting time and place,

Last edited by jhunter1163; 5th December 2010 at 01:27 AM.
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:04 PM   #808
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Nostradamus is Accurate,
I'm far more accurate:

Someone in this thread on the 7th day of the week will touch something edible.

A male in this thread within 3 days will get wet

and Finally Someone with the letter T in there name will sit down.

Feel free to purchase my upcomming book of vauge generalites for the next 10 years, Just 59.99$
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2010, 02:48 AM   #809
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post

1. Mangle quatrains
2. ?
3. Prophet!

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2010, 02:52 AM   #810
Aitch

If Nos had written...

L'homme et son chien aura faim
mais la maison du fromage sera fermé
ils vont regarder la lune avec le désir
et l'autre se faire du ski.

I may have been impressed.

ETA: Maybe we should collect all the fake quatrains produced here into a (spoof) book and sell it to raise money for the JREF? Won't stop the real nutters from trying to interpret them, of course, but...

Last edited by Aitch; 4th December 2010 at 02:57 AM.
Aitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2010, 02:56 AM   #811
Mojo
Mostly harmless

You honestly Believe that Nostradamus mentions Rousseau not to be the philosopher of the 1700's?

How does the quatrain relate to that particular Rousseau?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2010, 06:55 AM   #812
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
I think you're getting there, nathan, but that the prophecy actually refers to my new phone not being delivered today owing to the snow. We shall see if this is correct.
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
My new phone was not delivered today owing to the snow. Please note that I used the work of Nastidampness to predict a future event and was correct. I trust that Rwalsh will acknowledge my superior skill at understanding the works of the great seer.
rwalsh, please acknowledge my superiority at interpreting Mustipantness.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2010, 08:50 PM   #813
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

I don't see which source document you are referring to, but here's a list of potential philosophers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_...ortant_figures)

Quote:
I know Nostradamus taste in Literature, and Im sure he would have been much pleased with Rousseau created in his enlightment.

http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/economics/rousseau/inequality/index.htm
Sorry, but Nosetro died about 400 years before you were born (rough estimate).

Quote:
This then is the question asked me, and that which I propose to discuss in the following discourse. As my subject interests mankind in general, I shall endeavour to make use of a style adapted to all nations, or rather, forgetting time and place,
Which question? There wasn't one being asked.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2010, 09:38 PM   #814
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Good question. Havnt really had that much time to really look at it. pretty tired these days
Old 4th December 2010, 09:59 PM   #815
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Good question. Havnt really had that much time to really look at it. pretty tired these days
Wait. It's your belief that in some un-named quatrain*, that Rousseau is mentioned, you get called on it, and you say that you haven't really looked at it.

Whatever caused you to think that Rousseau is mentioned?

*Disclaimer: I'm calling it an un-named quatrain since I cannot find the post that Rwalsh is using for the basis of his claim.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2010, 12:27 PM   #816
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
Wait. It's your belief that in some un-named quatrain*, that Rousseau is mentioned, you get called on it, and you say that you haven't really looked at it.

*Disclaimer: I'm calling it an un-named quatrain since I cannot find the post that Rwalsh is using for the basis of his claim.
Un-named quatrain?

Then I guess an Un-named which you speak of is the un-named Rousseau? surely.. Which I garantee is a name,

Last edited by Rwalsh; 5th December 2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 5th December 2010, 12:42 PM   #817
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

Are you okay? Don't make yourself ill over Nostradamus please, his work has been around for hundreds of years, it will still be there if you take a day or two off to rest
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2010, 01:18 PM   #818
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Un-named quatrain?

Then I guess an Un-named which you speak of is the un-named Rousseau? surely.. Which I garantee is a name,
Please take your time to read and understand my post.
Old 6th December 2010, 01:01 AM   #819
Mojo
Mostly harmless

It's this one: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...13#post6608813

It mentions the name "Rousseau", but the rest of it doesn't seem relevant to his claim.

Last edited by Mojo; 6th December 2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 6th December 2010, 05:09 PM   #820
Rwalsh
Banned

Well.. Lets start by...

Wording things out first, Which I usually do to grasp the words completely.

Arrived too late, the act has been done.

(Which Act?)

The wind was against them, letters intercepted on their way.

(Who is them?)
The conspirators were fourteen of a party.

(What 14 people?)

By Rousseau shall these enterprises be undertaken.

(Which Enterprises?)

Now lets start by defining the important terms

Key-words

Intercept:
ambush, appropriate, arrest, block, catch, check, curb, cut in, cut off, deflect, head off at pass, hijack, hinder, interlope, interpose, make off with, obstruct, prevent, seize, shortstop, stop, take, take away

conspirator:
accomplice, backstabber, betrayer, caballer, collaborator, colluder, highbinder, plotter, subversive, traitor

Enterprise:
action, activity, affair, attempt, baby*, bag*, ballgame, big idea, biggie, bit*, business, campaign, cause, company, concern, crusade, deal, deed, do*, effort, endeavor, engagement, essay, establishment, firm, flier, follow through, game*, happening, hazard, house, move, operation, outfit, performance, pet project, plan, plunge*, program, project, proposition, purpose, pursuit, risk, scheme, speculation, stake, striving, stunt, task, thing*, trade, try, venture, work

One thing is certain that he was always plotted against (Assaulted if possible) and being banned from countries. Perhaps the indication written here, in writing about these Letters that Nostradame Mentions is the writing of Rousseau's. Which would form the entire backbone of the Jacobin Club.

This sounds like a political party to me..
"Rousseau was the most popular of the philosophes among members of the Jacobin Club.."
The Jacobin Club was the most famous political club of the French Revolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobin_Club

deputies from Brittany. However, they were soon joined by deputies from other regions throughout France. Among early members were the dominating comte de Mirabeau, Parisian deputy Abbé Sieyès, Dauphiné deputy Antoine Barnave, Jérôme Pétion, the Abbé Grégoire, Charles Lameth, Alexandre Lameth, Robespierre, the duc d'Aiguillon, and La Revellière-Lépeaux. It also counted Indian ruler Tipu Sultan among its ranks. At this time, meetings occurred in secret, and few traces remain concerning what took place or where the meetings were convened

Sounds like 15 to me.,.

Robespierre
comte de Mirabeau
Abbé Sieyès
Dauphiné deputy Antoine Barnave
Jérôme Pétion
Abbé Grégoire
Charles Lameth
Alexandre Lameth
duc d'Aiguillon - prince de Broglie *Duke of Aiguillon (Fr.: duc d'Aiguillon) was a title of nobility in the peerage of France created in 1599
La Revellière-Lépeaux
Tipu Sultan
Arthur Young
Santerre
Louis Philippe - a future king of France
Michel Gerard

Once in Paris the club underwent rapid modifications. The first step was its expansion by the admission as members or associates of others besides deputies; Arthur Young entered the Club in this manner on 18 January 1790

professional men, such as Robespierre, or well-to-do bourgeois, like the brewer Santerre. From the first, however, other elements were present. Besides the teenage son of the Duc d'Orléans, Louis Philippe, a future king of France, liberal aristocrats of the type of the duc d'Aiguillon, the prince de Broglie, or the vicomte de Noailles, and the bourgeoisie who formed the mass of the members, the club contained such figures as "Père" Michel Gerard

Obviously when Nostradame mentions Party- He means something in Legislation and Politics Parties.

Initially moderate, the club later became notorious for its implementation of the Reign of Terror

"As Humanitarian and Modern Rousseau was. I doubt he was happy about what later the party become."

As a disciple of Rousseau, Robespierre's political views were rooted in Rousseau's notion of the social contract, which promoted "the rights of man" (Schama; 1989; 475), but his was a vision of collective rights, rather than the rights of each individual. Robespierre expressed this view in the December 1792 condemnation of Louis XVI to death for treason:"It is with regret that I pronounce, the fatal truth: Louis ought to perish rather than a hundred thousand virtuous citizens; Louis must die, that the country may live." (Britannica, 1911)

The concepts in the Declaration come from the philosophical and political principles of the Age of Enlightenment, such as individualism, the social contract as theorized by the French philosopher Rousseau, and the separation of powers espoused by the Baron de Montesquieu. As can be seen in the texts, the French declaration is heavily influenced by the political philosophy of the Enlightenment, and by Enlightenment principles of human rights, some of which it shares with the U.S. Declaration of Independence

As a disciple of Rousseau, Robespierre's political views were rooted in Rousseau's notion of the social contract, which promoted "the rights of man" (Schama; 1989; 475), but his was a vision of collective rights, rather than the rights of each individual. Robespierre expressed this view in the December 1792 condemnation of Louis XVI to death for treason:"It is with regret that I pronounce, the fatal truth: Louis ought to perish rather than a hundred thousand virtuous citizens; Louis must die, that the country may live." (Britannica, 1911)

Louis XVI (23 August 1754 – 21 January 1793) ruled as King of France and Navarre from 1774 until 1791, and then as King of the French from 1791 to 1792. Suspended and arrested during the Insurrection of 10 August 1792, he was tried by the National Convention, found guilty of high treason, and executed by guillotine on 21 January 1793. He is the only king of France ever to be executed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_XVI_of_France

The one thing that is really confusing me is... Louis Philippe - a future king of France This teenage! In this club would support the Statements of Robespierre Would support the idea of of Louis Death. If at all he didnt. The Jacobin Club with the plotting of the death of the king of France. "It is with regret that I pronounce, the fatal truth: Louis ought to perish rather than a hundred thousand virtuous citizens; Louis must die, that the country may live."

Wtf

Louis-Philippe was the eldest son of Louis-Philippe Joseph de Bourbon-Orléans, Duke de Chartres, and Adélaïde de Bourbon-Penthièvre. At first styled Duke de Valois, he became Duke de Chartres when his father inherited the title Duke d’Orléans in 1785. On the outbreak of the French Revolution in 1789, Louis-Philippe joined the group of progressive nobles who supported the Revolutionary government. He became a member of the Jacobin Club in 1790, and, when France went to war with Austria in April 1792, he joined the Army of the North, receiving a commission as lieutenant general in September. Within a year, however, in April 1793, he joined his commander, Charles-François Dumouriez, in deserting to the Austrians. He took refuge in Switzerland and taught under an assumed name at the college at Reichenau. He became Duke d’Orléans on the execution of his father by the Jacobin government in November 1793

This douche is a complete F'n Backstabber

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis-Philippe

He joined the Jacobin Club and 3 years later he assumes his fathers title as Duke d’Orléans

There was 15 to the Jacobin party, but 14 when Louis left.

And later joining Napoleons reign. Which also made the Jacobins pretty happy after being persecuted and destroyed they resurrected themselves when Napoleon came to power.

Last edited by Rwalsh; 6th December 2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 6th December 2010, 05:21 PM   #821
dafydd
Banned

Well.. Lets start by...

Wording things out first, Which I usually do to grasp the words completely.

(Which Act?)

(Who is them?)

(What 14 people?)

(Which Enterprises?)

Now lets start by defining the important terms

Key-words

Intercept:
ambush, appropriate, arrest, block, catch, check, curb, cut in, cut off, deflect, head off at pass, hijack, hinder, interlope, interpose, make off with, obstruct, prevent, seize, shortstop, stop, take, take away

conspirator:
accomplice, backstabber, betrayer, caballer, collaborator, colluder, highbinder, plotter, subversive, traitor

Enterprise:
action, activity, affair, attempt, baby*, bag*, ballgame, big idea, biggie, bit*, business, campaign, cause, company, concern, crusade, deal, deed, do*, effort, endeavor, engagement, essay, establishment, firm, flier, follow through, game*, happening, hazard, house, move, operation, outfit, performance, pet project, plan, plunge*, program, project, proposition, purpose, pursuit, risk, scheme, speculation, stake, striving, stunt, task, thing*, trade, try, venture, work
I have a copy of Roget's Thesaurus too.Does the above post mean anything,or are you just passing the time?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2010, 05:26 PM   #822
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Enterprise:
You left out Starship. Maybe it's really an homage to Willian Shatner.

It seems to fit a lot of Star Trek episodes.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2010, 05:27 PM   #823
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

(Which Act?)

(Who is them?)

(What 14 people?)

(Which Enterprises?)
Another interpretation suggests itself. I shall answer your questions.

(Which Act?) An orgy
(Who is them?) the person who missed the orgy
(What 14 people?) The ones at the orgy
(Which Enterprises?) The shagging of course

better?
Old 6th December 2010, 05:44 PM   #824
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
I have a copy of Roget's Thesaurus too.Does the above post mean anything,or are you just passing the time wind?
ftfy
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2010, 07:25 PM   #825
Rwalsh
Banned

I suppose if you have a hard time understanding then, then not to bother with understanding.
Old 6th December 2010, 11:46 PM   #826
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

What's the difference between attempts to find meaning in a Nostradamus quatrain and attempts to find meaning in one of these?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2010, 11:57 PM   #827
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
What's the difference between attempts to find meaning in a Nostradamus quatrain and attempts to find meaning in one of these?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...pictureid=4097
The difference is... (FACT) that this is a Abstract piece of art-
Fact is just a black on white.

Or one sorry creature ran over. j.k"

Fact

He joined the Jacobin Club and 3 years later he assumes his fathers title as Duke d’Orléans after being executed by the Jacobin's.

Thats like saying.. Insuring my father under Life insurance, and then 3 years later I shoot him in the head for the life insurance money.
Dose that makes sense to you?

Any normal person who actually loved there father, would stop any murder against there own father. You belong to a political party, and this political party.. kills your own father?

It is damn right Cold hearten and Ruthless. Or perhaps the 14 who belonged to the party wanted Louise to rise becuase he beleived in the Radical left wing. And to kill his father would have made him closer to being king of France.. Hence why perhaps Louis left the party afterward...

The conspirators were fourteen of a party. The Jacobins. Left Wing Radicals.

Last edited by Rwalsh; 7th December 2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:18 AM   #828
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The difference is... (FACT) that this is a Abstract piece of art-
Fact is just a black on white.

Or one sorry creature ran over. j.k"
There are lots of ways we could interpret that piece of abstract art - this one is a Rorschach ink blot. Look at how many ways you can also interpret Nostradamus. You have just demonstrated that by examining the variety in word meanings. Many posters have shown you this by offering their own interpretations of quatrains.

There is no way we could possibly make use of such imprecise interpretations to predict anything of value because by predicting a multitude of things seemingly limited only by one's imagination, they predict nothing.

They only seem of interest when interpreting them to match past events. But then if they have the potential to describe so many things, should we be surprised that we can find an event that has occurred over the centuries that seems to match? In fact matches seem limited by our imagination, knowledge of history and/or Google skllz.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2010, 12:24 AM   #829
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
There are lots of ways we could interpret that piece of abstract art - this one is a Rorschach ink blot. Look at how many ways you can also interpret Nostradamus. You have just demonstrated that by examining the variety in word meanings. Many posters have shown you this by offering their own interpretations of quatrains.

There is no way we could possibly make use of such imprecise interpretations to predict anything of value because by predicting a multitude of things seemingly limited only by one's imagination, they predict nothing.

They only seem of interest when interpreting them to match past events. But then if they have the potential to describe so many things, should we be surprised that we can find an event that has occurred over the centuries that seems to match? In fact matches seem limited by our imagination, knowledge of history and/or Google skllz.

I dont want to look at this and interpret whats in this picture. All I know is that this a a picture with black on it.
This is how I interpret this.

BLACK on WHITE

INFACT. There are no colour present in this photo.
259x225 pixel, GIF imige.

the name of this image is "picture.php"

You want to interpret something, you need to get the facts straighten out first. All this information, and all Nostradamus work is presented on a Fact Based knowledge.

By Rousseau... Robespierre would carryout his knowledge passed down to carryout the enterprise of the Jacobin. And the 14 of them who belonged to the Jacobin party Conspired against Louis Phillips father.

Last edited by Rwalsh; 7th December 2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:55 AM   #830
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I dont want to look at this and interpret whats in this picture. All I know is that this a a picture with black on it.
This is how I interpret this.

BLACK on WHITE

INFACT. There are no colour present in this photo.
259x225 pixel, GIF imige.

the name of this image is "picture.php"
Yet a post ago you seemed to offer an interpretation of it being something ran over? You seem to be being a bit dishonest now when you claim there is nothing to interpret. There is no colour? As an artist, wouldn't you say that this is a very limited barrier to conveying meaning? I was quite happy with black and white TV as a youngster. Anyway, the fact is Rorschach ink blot tests are used because people can and do interpret them in a variety of interesting ways.

Quote:
You want to interpret something, you need to get the facts straighten out first. All this information, and all Nostradamus work is presented on a Fact Based knowledge.

By Rousseau... Robespierre would carryout his knowledge passed down to carryout the enterprise of the Jacobin. And the 14 of them who belonged to the Jacobin party Conspired against Louis Phillips father.
What I have put in bold is an assertion you have made without giving me any reason to believe it. You have also replied without addressing the counter argument that I have just made. One that has been made repeatedly in this thread in fact.
Old 7th December 2010, 01:55 AM   #831
dafydd
Banned

I suppose if you have a hard time understanding then, then not to bother with understanding.
There is nothing to understand,you are merely amusing us.
Old 7th December 2010, 02:01 AM   #832
Maja
Thinker

Rwalsh, please take another look at the Wikipedia articles you quoted.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau died on July 2nd, 1778. The Jacobin Club was formed in 1789, the same year that the French Revolution began. The sentence you quoted from the article about Rousseau:
Quote:
Rousseau was the most popular of the philosophes among members of the Jacobin Club.
... means that the Jacobin club considered him their favourite philosopher, not that he was a member of the club. He couldn't have been - he died eleven years before it was founded.
Maja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2010, 02:05 AM   #833
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Sounds like 15 to me.,.

From the source you cite:
Quote:
At the height of its influence, there were thousands of chapters throughout France, with a membership estimated at 420,000.

Sounds like slightly more than 15 to me.

In any case, even considering just your particular named members, the quatrain says 14, not 15.

Old 7th December 2010, 02:44 AM   #834
Maja
Thinker

In any case, even considering just your particular named members, the quatrain says 14, not 15.
Also, since Rwalsh believes Rousseau was a member as well, that would make 16 including him. Actually, 17, because the duc d'Aiguillon and the prince de Broglie were not the same person.
Maja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2010, 02:50 AM   #835
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Maja View Post

Jean-Jacques Rousseau died on July 2nd, 1778. The Jacobin Club was formed in 1789, the same year that the French Revolution began. The sentence you quoted from the article about Rousseau: ... means that the Jacobin club considered him their favourite philosopher, not that he was a member of the club. He couldn't have been - he died eleven years before it was founded.
Well,Rwalsh?
Old 7th December 2010, 02:53 AM   #836
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

The only one having a hard time understanding - understanding just how easy it is to fit past events to verses when there is so much history to choose from and the verses are so vague as to be practically meaningless - is you. And you certainly show no sign of bothering to even try to understand, no matter how often, clearly or patiently this is explained to you.

The real mystery is how you always manage to cock it up completely, despite it being so easy.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2010, 05:50 AM   #837
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The only one having a hard time understanding - understanding just how easy it is to fit past events to verses when there is so much history to choose from and the verses are so vague as to be practically meaningless - is you. And you certainly show no sign of bothering to even try to understand, no matter how often, clearly or patiently this is explained to you.

The real mystery is how you always manage to cock it up completely, despite it being so easy.
I blame Al (The Year Of The Cat) Stewart for the Nostra revival.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/0...t-nostradamus/

Wow man Al Stewart's into this,heavy stuff.Roll another one.

Last edited by dafydd; 7th December 2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 7th December 2010, 05:54 AM   #838
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Maja View Post
Hey! You weren't supposed to read those!

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2010, 09:14 AM   #839
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Century I. Quatrain 7

Went over to Wikipedia and saw there already was an entry for Henri Rousseau, the painter.(link)

My router must be intercepting commands because I was not connecting to the Internet.

There are 14 footnotes for the article.

Because he was painter, he sold paintings. Selling paintings is a enterprise.

Also, why are you using an English thesaurus when Nosetro wrote in French?
Old 7th December 2010, 09:21 AM   #840
dafydd
Banned

Went over to Wikipedia and saw there already was an entry for Henri Rousseau, the painter.(link)

My router must be intercepting commands because I was not connecting to the Internet.

There are 14 footnotes for the article.

Because he was painter, he sold paintings. Selling paintings is a enterprise.

Also, why are you using an English thesaurus when Nosetro wrote in French?
Because English is the only language that has or needs a thesaurus.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal