ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th August 2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Havermayer
Student

I really don't like dealing with the hardcore believers...

So after Ron Craig's lovely debunking of the CD claim, I was approached by two members of a local 911 truth group. I offered to hand them a dvd that I had made up.

He said that he had seen one of the programs on it (NOVA's "Building on Ground Zero"), and was uninterested in the other one (ABC's Kennedy Assassination: Beyond Conspiracy). He then asked me why my dvd contained "only official government sources". Ugh. I hate the ridiculous false dichotomy of sources either being "official" sources, or not. I said that I was uninterested in debating. "That's so strange, from someone who claims to be a skeptic. I thought you would be interested in dialogue".

He then asked me why I'm "so skeptical of independent researchers. Shouldn't you be more skeptical of the official government sources than these independent researchers?".

This would work as a great "spot that logical fallacy" on the SGU. (It's an appeal to virtue: the Truthers are "independent" and have a virtue so we should trust them more). It also sort of explains their belief system. If they start as a premise that they will only believe sources that agrees with them ("indepenent sources"), and will distrust any "official sources", of COURSE they're going to be conspiracists.

And on top of that, what about all of their critics? Aren't they independent (oh wait, I forgot, we're all paid shills).

I again said that I didn't want to debate. I then got out of there. It's not that I don't mind debating, it's just that hardcore believers are a pain in the ass to deal with. I've been down that road with hardcore religious people, Chiropractors, homeopaths, etc. It ends up in a 2 hour utterly pointless discussion.

And on top of that, they seem to think that no one can look at the same evidence and come to a different conclusion.

Did I make the right move to just avoid discussion?

Last edited by Havermayer; 26th August 2009 at 03:57 PM.
Havermayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2009, 04:10 PM   #2
fourtoe
Graduate Poster

Yes.

Though I would have stayed to argue with them because that is my favorite pass time.

TM already made me no longer want to use the word 'Truth' and now they're starting to ruin 'independent' for me as well.
-The thread for discussing/reviewing and posting any 911 related debates one can find!
fourtoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2009, 04:48 PM   #3
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

They may ruin "truth" and "independent", but boy they have given such a poster boy picture for words like "idiocy" and "moronic".

So take the good with the bad.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2009, 11:15 AM   #4
BJS
Student

Wink

Better watch out - unless you have a video of this happening along with an affidavit signed by Paris Hilton and my mother, RedIbis will claim it never happened...
"Why me, Lord? Where have I gone wrong? I've always been nice to people! I don't drink or dance or swear! I've even kept Kosher just to be on the safe side! I've done everything the Bible says; even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff! What more could I do?" Ned Flanders praying after his house is destroyed
BJS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories