ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 12th February 2018, 06:39 AM   #1001
hgus
Critical Thinker
 
hgus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
"I can just imagine you guys watching people around getting sick and dying and saying "There is no problem. This is just anecdotal. Not proved by statistics."
No I think most of us would say. "**** I am in the middle of an outbreak!" Then I would check to see how widespread it was, before claiming it to be the worst ever.

Edited by Agatha:  Fixed quote tags

Last edited by Agatha; 15th February 2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Sorry I can't find the error in the quote.
hgus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 07:32 AM   #1002
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,058
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
A friend works in the Health Department here, and I get the inside info on the listeria outbreak here in South Africa.

The same with the local malaria outbreak. A large number of people who returned from countries north of South Africa have been noticed in the clinics. Most do not go to the clinics because they are foreigners. Our gardener is from Zimbabwe and he was very sick for a few days with malaria.
Do you live anywhere near Cape Town? I hope not. That city is on a countdown to total societal collapse.

I can understand your obsession with End of the World prophesy when you have a ticking time bomb like that in your own country, ready to go off very, very soon.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I can just imagine you guys watching people around getting sick and dying and saying "There is no problem. This is just anecdotal. Not proved by statistics."
You're looking at a localized humanitarian catastrophic that's only gong to get worse because of years of mismanagement. It's tragic and horrible, but it does not justify your "End Times" prophesies. There is NOTHING miraculous about saying South Africa is on the verge of a major crisis that will cause large scale death and disease. That's a simple observation that can be made through secular routes.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Yeah right. This is the humor thread, not the doom and gloom thread.
That's disingenuous at best. You are dishonestly conflating observations about the scope of a disease outbreak with claiming such events are trivial. As a prophet you are a complete and total failure by any objective standard. Your continued insistence that localized outbreaks somehow resuscitate the desiccated corpse of your predictions is ghoulish and FAR more insulting to the dead than anything posted by your critics.
__________________
Look what I found! There's this whole web site full of skeptics that spun off from the James Randy Education Foundation!
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 07:35 AM   #1003
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,058
Originally Posted by hgus View Post
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
"I can just imagine you guys watching people around getting sick and dying and saying "There is no problem. This is just anecdotal. Not proved by statistics."
No I think most of us would say. "**** I am in the middle of an outbreak!" Then I would check to see how widespread it was, before claiming it to be the worst ever.
There's an inherent narcissism in "End Times" predictions. Proclaiming that after over 2,000 years this time it's really the end requires a comically inflated sense of self importance to the point where one would't be surprised if they next proclaimed they were Napoleon.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_o...d_of_the_world
__________________
Look what I found! There's this whole web site full of skeptics that spun off from the James Randy Education Foundation!
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:53 AM   #1004
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,094
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Standard slander. I have no pleasure or displeasure in being right or wrong about an observation. Another wait till the end of March.
Nope. You clearly take pleasure in misery so long as it is not yours.

To you, that is god wheeling out ladles of hot steamy justice.

Have a guess what all of us godless atheists think of that.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 10:00 AM   #1005
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,050
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Yes. And it can happen again, but with different pathogens.

I have mentioned decreased immune systems as being a cause. Have you thought about the fact that micro-plastics are now in every sea-creature including those in the Mariana trench? And we are ingesting those? They will cause inflammation and stress our bodies.

The next plague may simply be the petri dish effect of us living (and dying) in our own toxic waste.



And I suppose your comment would be "Don't worry. Be Happy."
Yes in fact, it would. I'd also include supporting and voting for politicians that promote sound environmental policies. But while I don't believe in fairy tales Thomas Aquinas's prayer makes sense. Give me strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept what I can't and the wisdom to know the difference.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 10:19 AM   #1006
StackOverflow
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
A friend works in the Health Department here, and I get the inside info on the listeria outbreak here in South Africa.

The same with the local malaria outbreak. A large number of people who returned from countries north of South Africa have been noticed in the clinics. Most do not go to the clinics because they are foreigners. Our gardener is from Zimbabwe and he was very sick for a few days with malaria.

I can just imagine you guys watching people around getting sick and dying and saying "There is no problem. This is just anecdotal. Not proved by statistics."

Yeah right. This is the humor thread, not the doom and gloom thread.
Your "prediction" was about a global health problem, now you keep blabbering about South Africa.
Just a question:

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove breach of rule 0 and rule 12

Last edited by Agatha; 15th February 2018 at 04:34 PM.
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 11:56 AM   #1007
Zivan
Muse
 
Zivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 787
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
........ But while I don't believe in fairy tales Thomas Aquinas's prayer makes sense. Give me strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept what I can't and the wisdom to know the difference.
This says it was not Aquinas who came up with the prayer:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

Last edited by Zivan; 12th February 2018 at 11:58 AM.
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 12:34 PM   #1008
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,050
Originally Posted by Zivan View Post
This says it was not Aquinas who came up with the prayer:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer
That figures. Thanks for the link. I read it was...but I'm pretty sure the attribution was on a poster somewhere.

I love the Internet.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 12:45 PM   #1009
Zivan
Muse
 
Zivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 787
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That figures. Thanks for the link. I read it was...but I'm pretty sure the attribution was on a poster somewhere.

I love the Internet.
Yes, according to the wiki article the prayer is sometimes attributed to Aquinas, along with several others, but he/they were not the author.

So it is understandable that you've seen it attributed to him.
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 01:49 PM   #1010
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,078
In my experience the only people who fear a statistical analysis of data are those who fear what perspective such an analysis provides to the data. If something is generally believed to be improbable, but factually is probable, then revealing that information harms only people who rely on the incorrect belief for some payoff.

A. Is there a global pandemic?
B. No, the data don't seem to show one.
A. But look at all these anecdotes!
B. Those are dismaying, but they aren't the kind of data that address the question.
A. You're resorting to callous statistics rather than grasp the human tragedy.

Odd how we got an emotional argument, a shame-the-skeptic answer, instead of a properly reasoned one.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 02:27 PM   #1011
Zivan
Muse
 
Zivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 787
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
Since the last time Paul Bethke posted here was in #247 (farewell, Paul!), I'd like to ask, what is keeping this thread so busy? Does anyone need something beyond "there's no end of times (in a biblical way)" said once?
Before he bailed, Paul Bethke used his personal (mis)interpretation of his Bible(s) to rant about the "End Times".

Now we have PartSkeptic, who has not read any Bibles because he prefers to read Tarot cards to rant about the "End Times".

Both PB and PS provide endless amusement with their delusions.

That is why the thread is still going. Obviously no one believes this nonsense (from PB & PS) but the chew-toy factor is entertaining.
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 04:42 PM   #1012
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo
 
aleCcowaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
Posts: 9,388
Originally Posted by Zivan View Post
Before he bailed, Paul Bethke used his personal (mis)interpretation of his Bible(s) to rant about the "End Times".

Now we have PartSkeptic, who has not read any Bibles because he prefers to read Tarot cards to rant about the "End Times".

Both PB and PS provide endless amusement with their delusions.

That is why the thread is still going. Obviously no one believes this nonsense (from PB & PS) but the chew-toy factor is entertaining.
Thank you for this reply. I hadn't PartSkeptic in that group, but it seems I was not paying enough attention.
__________________
Horrible dipsomaniacs and other addicts, be gone and get treated, or covfefe your soul!These fora are full of scientists and specialists. Most of them turn back to pumpkins the second they log out.
I got tired of the actual schizophrenics that are taking hold part of the forum and decided to do something about it.
aleCcowaN is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:52 PM   #1013
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Do you live anywhere near Cape Town? I hope not. That city is on a countdown to total societal collapse.

I can understand your obsession with End of the World prophesy when you have a ticking time bomb like that in your own country, ready to go off very, very soon.

(snip the nastiness)

We had some locals (locally known as Cape Coloreds - a mix of bushman, white and Malay - and known for their humor) come up with solutions.

One of them called the radio station and said, "We can fix this easy. Everyone fills containers with 100 liters of water and takes it to the dam and pours it in. If everyone does this every day for a week, our dams will be full"

Another then called and said "He is stupid. People must stop using their cold water. They must use their hot water. Everyone knows that the cold water comes from the dams, but the hot water comes from the geyser (the hot water cylinder)."

Fact - there are a lot of people getting sick here in South Africa for various reasons. Far more that "normal". The USA now has "winter flu". Guess what. Our flu season has not stopped in the summer. It is re-infecting people.

Did I say we have a pandemic? No. I said that sickness is increasing locally. Not dramatically but noticeably. Is it not reasonable to ask if this is the start of a trend?

Must be slow on the other threads.

And a note. Not one person commented on the micro-plastic threat to the planet and to humans.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 09:26 PM   #1014
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,078
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Did I say we have a pandemic? No.
No, of course nothing you posted recently about public health issues could possibly have the slightest to do with your prediction that there was going to be a global pandemic. Couldn't possibly have had anything at all to do with it, and your critics are just stretching it irrationally. Got it.

Quote:
Is it not reasonable to ask if this is the start of a trend?
Ah, so you were talking about the pandemic prediction.

Quote:
Must be slow on the other threads.
Do the transparent shaming attempts work for you in other contexts?

Quote:
And a note. Not one person commented on the micro-plastic threat to the planet and to humans.
How was it relevant?
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 10:37 PM   #1015
Zivan
Muse
 
Zivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 787
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
And a note. Not one person commented on the micro-plastic threat to the planet and to humans.
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
.
How was it relevant?
It is not relevant of course. Just PS's desperately trying to make it so, and mis-stating what the article actually says.

Plastics in the ocean is a major problem but nothing to do with a pandemic wiping out a major portion of the human race.

Many countries are trying to cut down on plastic use. In Israel there is an extra charge for plastic bags, so people bring re-usable bags for shopping. I just flew Turkish Airlines were everything in "plastic" was noted that it was biodegradable and broke down to "return to nature".

NONE of this has to do with a health pandemic.
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 03:12 AM   #1016
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,058
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
The USA now has "winter flu".

Winter is a traditional time of year for a flu season. This is not new.
__________________
Look what I found! There's this whole web site full of skeptics that spun off from the James Randy Education Foundation!
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 05:12 AM   #1017
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,094
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
Thank you for this reply. I hadn't PartSkeptic in that group, but it seems I was not paying enough attention.
You didn't? See PS's adventures in divinely ordained plumbing.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 09:37 AM   #1018
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,078
Originally Posted by Zivan View Post
It is not relevant of course. Just PS's desperately trying to make it so, and mis-stating what the article actually says.
It did seem like a rather poorly-executed pivot.

Quote:
Plastics in the ocean is a major problem but nothing to do with a pandemic wiping out a major portion of the human race.
Obviously, but it made sense to ask in case it related to some other prediction he was trying to make. It seems more likely he was just trying to change the subject.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 10:19 AM   #1019
Zivan
Muse
 
Zivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 787
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
It did seem like a rather poorly-executed pivot.



Obviously, but it made sense to ask in case it related to some other prediction he was trying to make. It seems more likely he was just trying to change the subject.
Agree. It seems it was both; trying to change the subject, and also trying to relate it to his prediction of a global pandemic:

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Have you thought about the fact that micro-plastics are now in every sea-creature including those in the Mariana trench? And we are ingesting those? They will cause inflammation and stress our bodies.
PS next related this ^^^ to the possibility of the next "plague".

Complete desperation to try to make his pandemic "prediction" relevant.

1) The article he linked to did not say that "micro-plastics are now in every sea-creature".

2) Globally, many people do not eat sea food at all. Especially in inland areas of poor countries that are far from any ocean. In those inland areas sea food is either unavailable, or too expensive for many people to buy.

In his desperation to be be relevant, PS seems to not even think these things through........

Last edited by Zivan; 13th February 2018 at 10:20 AM.
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 11:05 AM   #1020
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,078
Originally Posted by Zivan View Post
Agree. It seems it was both; trying to change the subject, and also trying to relate it to his prediction of a global pandemic...
It's difficult to tell, since PartSkeptic follows a sort of motte-and-bailey strategy. He'll walk right up to the conclusion he wants drawn, but then deny having explicitly drawn it and retreat back to a position of relative strength. Depending on what point he's at in that process, his arguments may seem like they're both coming and going.

As an aside, I really don't care for debates that rely on such a strategy. It's fundamentally dishonest, in my opinion, to argue pointedly in one direction and then deny the apparent destination. Rhetorically, it baits what is then made to look like a straw-man argument, generally for no more noble a purpose than to be a pretext for accusing the opponent of shady tactics.

Quote:
Complete desperation to try to make his pandemic "prediction" relevant.
I would have to agree. I don't know how PartSkeptic envisions the mechanics of his prediction, but there's a fundamental difference between a pandemic (or just an epidemic) and something like fish eating plastic. A fish eats some plastic and I eat the fish. I apparently now have plastic inside me. I'm sitting in the same waiting room as you. The chances of you getting "plastic disease" (or whatever) from that contact is negligible. The effects of ingesting foreign material are not contagious. They won't cause a pandemic. In contrast, you might be nervous if I'm sitting in the same room as you and I have advanced ebola. The chances of it spreading through that casual contact is substantial. Any-demic presumes communicability beyond the initial exposure.

Quote:
In his desperation to be be relevant, PS seems to not even think these things through........
Desperately throwing mud against the wall does seem to be the order of the day. He mentions that the U.S. has a declining life expectancy. That's supposed to be evidence of a global pandemic, I guess. He doesn't consider non-contagious causes of death such as lifestyle. And he ignores the elephant in the room: the deplorable and declining state of healthcare in the United States.

I've largely given upon on this thread because PartSkeptic is just running the predictable gamut of ways to post to a thread without actually engaging the underlying argument.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 12:00 AM   #1021
Toontown
Philosopher
 
Toontown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,398
An upside of a catastrophic, civilization-ending series of events would be the looks on the faces of the buttheads who were expecting to be raptured up.

But maybe some people will be raptured up. By aliens. Maybe sentient machine aliens who have become very jaded and bored with their interminable trekking through the vast emptiness between the stars at subluminal velocity. Bored sentient machine aliens who are looking for anything at all to break the monotony. So they decide to create a fake heaven and put some humans in it to see how they act.

It could happen. It's at least as likely as the god heaven.

But then maybe the sentient machines decide they are not enjoying the way the humans are acting in the fake heaven. Boring. So they terminate the experiment.

Stupid idea anyway. Keeping humans alive forever, in a state of eternal bliss, because they were sorry for their earthly wrongdoing and begged to be allowed to live forever in a state of eternal bliss.

Back to blowing up unattractive planets. Galactic beautification project.
__________________
"I did not say that!" - Donald Trump
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 12:15 PM   #1022
Rincewind
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adirondacks, NY - with Magrat!
Posts: 7,916
Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
An upside of a catastrophic, civilization-ending series of events would be the looks on the faces of the buttheads who were expecting to be raptured up.

But maybe some people will be raptured up. By aliens. Maybe sentient machine aliens who have become very jaded and bored with their interminable trekking through the vast emptiness between the stars at subluminal velocity. Bored sentient machine aliens who are looking for anything at all to break the monotony. So they decide to create a fake heaven and put some humans in it to see how they act.

It could happen. It's at least as likely as the god heaven.

But then maybe the sentient machines decide they are not enjoying the way the humans are acting in the fake heaven. Boring. So they terminate the experiment.

Stupid idea anyway. Keeping humans alive forever, in a state of eternal bliss, because they were sorry for their earthly wrongdoing and begged to be allowed to live forever in a state of eternal bliss.

Back to blowing up unattractive planets. Galactic beautification project.
and - don't forget building bypasses...
__________________
I used to think I was happy. then I met Magrat...
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 12:18 PM   #1023
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo
 
aleCcowaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
Posts: 9,388
I, for one, agree with The End of Times. It was about time that somebody did something about it.
__________________
Horrible dipsomaniacs and other addicts, be gone and get treated, or covfefe your soul!These fora are full of scientists and specialists. Most of them turn back to pumpkins the second they log out.
I got tired of the actual schizophrenics that are taking hold part of the forum and decided to do something about it.
aleCcowaN is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 12:39 PM   #1024
Zivan
Muse
 
Zivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 787
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
You didn't? See PS's adventures in divinely ordained plumbing.
"PS's Adventures In Divinely Ordained Plumbing".

Sounds like the title of a Monty Python sketch.......
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 06:51 AM   #1025
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,070
North Korea wants to talk and may de-nuclearize.

My public predictions are quite a fail. I will not give up my day-time job.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 08:24 AM   #1026
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,058
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
North Korea wants to talk and may de-nuclearize.

My public predictions are quite a fail. I will not give up my day-time job.
My compliments.

That admission shows a level of self awareness and analysis that many people never achieve. It can take a lot of bravery to admit you were wrong.

Well done.
__________________
Look what I found! There's this whole web site full of skeptics that spun off from the James Randy Education Foundation!
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 08:53 AM   #1027
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,078
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
North Korea wants to talk and may de-nuclearize.

My public predictions are quite a fail. I will not give up my day-time job.
Or rather, your predictions are about normal for a reasonably intelligent, reasonably informed person. That's nothing to be ashamed of in the least -- but yeah, don't quit your day job.

Personally I don't believe the ruse. N. Korea has done this sort of thing before: hold out an olive branch and lure people into concessions, then fail to keep up their end of the bargain. I think that they think they've finally found a U.S. administration naive enough on foreign policy to let them get away with it. There's a reason no previous U.S. presidents have had a N. Korea summit. The conventional wisdom is that the Kim dynasty is little more than tin-pot dictators, and the developed world has largely avoided letting them come to the international table on that basis. Sure, you may write that off as childish; I'm not advocating the policy. But the interpretations I'm seeing out there is that Kim Jong Un will finally get the "I'm an international player" feather in his cap by luring Trump into a summit for his own prestige. He knows he can play on Trump's self-image as the consummate dealmaker to make him think he's the first president ever to sit down with N. Korea.

Bottom line; I have no faith that N. Korea will actually denuclearize, although I think they'll dangle that as a carrot, and maybe even commit to it. There, that's my prediction.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 09:07 AM   #1028
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 10,539
As a matter of fact PartSkeptic's only outstanding prediction of the bunch we've been monitoring on this thread is

Quote:
6. The North Korean nuclear threat will be ended by 12th August 2018.
Obviously that was predicted as the end result of a sequence of events which started with Trump nuking NK but, strictly speaking, if NK does denuclearise in the next 5 months he could actually claim a hit. That would only increase his hit rate from 0% to 17%, though, so still not exactly impressive.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 28th March 2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Oops
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 09:20 AM   #1029
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo
 
aleCcowaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
Posts: 9,388
Or the age old Jeane Dixon effect...
__________________
Horrible dipsomaniacs and other addicts, be gone and get treated, or covfefe your soul!These fora are full of scientists and specialists. Most of them turn back to pumpkins the second they log out.
I got tired of the actual schizophrenics that are taking hold part of the forum and decided to do something about it.
aleCcowaN is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 12:55 PM   #1030
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,058
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Or rather, your predictions are about normal for a reasonably intelligent, reasonably informed person. That's nothing to be ashamed of in the least -- but yeah, don't quit your day job.



Personally I don't believe the ruse. N. Korea has done this sort of thing before: hold out an olive branch and lure people into concessions, then fail to keep up their end of the bargain. I think that they think they've finally found a U.S. administration naive enough on foreign policy to let them get away with it. There's a reason no previous U.S. presidents have had a N. Korea summit. The conventional wisdom is that the Kim dynasty is little more than tin-pot dictators, and the developed world has largely avoided letting them come to the international table on that basis. Sure, you may write that off as childish; I'm not advocating the policy. But the interpretations I'm seeing out there is that Kim Jong Un will finally get the "I'm an international player" feather in his cap by luring Trump into a summit for his own prestige. He knows he can play on Trump's self-image as the consummate dealmaker to make him think he's the first president ever to sit down with N. Korea.



Bottom line; I have no faith that N. Korea will actually denuclearize, although I think they'll dangle that as a carrot, and maybe even commit to it. There, that's my prediction.


Kim and Putin are the kinds of leaders Trump wants to be. He admires people who can simply kill the people who cause them grief.
__________________
Look what I found! There's this whole web site full of skeptics that spun off from the James Randy Education Foundation!
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 11:29 AM   #1031
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
My compliments.

That admission shows a level of self awareness and analysis that many people never achieve. It can take a lot of bravery to admit you were wrong.

Well done.

I am going to go further. Trump won because the USA wanted an anti-politician and I (and many others) like that. I still agree with a number of his positions including wanting to get out of the Middle East, making peace there, and becoming friends with Russia. The Deep State and the media will not let him.

Lately Trump is busy doing things that I think will lead to WW3. North Korea and Iran. And moving the US embassy to Jerusalem.

In the last month I was beginning to wonder if he is not the Anti-Christ the Christians speak off as a Sign of End Times!

A Christian told me tonight that the US recognition of Jerusalem fulfills the Biblical prophecy of end times.

I just looked it up

Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6df009e63ac2

“At this point, Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is the only concrete thing that his evangelical supporters can point to as part of fulfilling biblical prophecy to bring about the second coming of Christ,” religion historian Neil Young told Newsweek in January.

That reads like an indictment, but it’s safe to say that for those eagerly anticipating the Second Coming, any progress is welcome. And the move on Monday is apparently seen by many evangelicals as precisely such a step.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 11:34 AM   #1032
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,070
This one is really scary...


Quote:
http://christinprophecy.org/articles...ible-prophecy/

A Russian coalition consisting mainly of Muslim nations will invade Israel (Ezekiel 38:1-17).

The Russian coalition will be destroyed supernaturally by God (Ezekiel 38:18-23 & 39:1-8).

The Antichrist will intervene and guarantee the security of Israel, enabling the Jews to rebuild their Temple (Daniel 9:27).

At the end of three and a half years, the Antichrist will enter the rebuilt Temple in Jerusalem and declare himself to be God (Daniel 9:27, Matthew 24:15-18, & 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4).

The Jews will reject the Antichrist, and he will respond with an attempt to annihilate them, killing two-thirds of them in the process (Revelation 12:13-17 & Zechariah 13:8-9).

At the end of the Tribulation, when the Jews have come to the end of themselves, they will turn to God and receive Yeshua as their Messiah (Zechariah 12:10, Romans 9:27-28, & Romans 11:25-27).
Trump may have the ego to declare himself God.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**

Last edited by PartSkeptic; 24th May 2018 at 11:35 AM.
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 11:46 AM   #1033
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
It's difficult to tell, since PartSkeptic follows a sort of motte-and-bailey strategy. He'll walk right up to the conclusion he wants drawn, but then deny having explicitly drawn it and retreat back to a position of relative strength. Depending on what point he's at in that process, his arguments may seem like they're both coming and going.

As an aside, I really don't care for debates that rely on such a strategy. It's fundamentally dishonest, in my opinion, to argue pointedly in one direction and then deny the apparent destination. Rhetorically, it baits what is then made to look like a straw-man argument, generally for no more noble a purpose than to be a pretext for accusing the opponent of shady tactics.

Give me an example specifically.

I am not dishonest so you can throw that bit of mudslinging at the wall.

There are two aspects to prediction - one is vague because of lack of precision but the broader picture remains the same. You seem unable to differentiate the two.

Example. A tank is moving towards us. It will get here shortly if it keeps going at its present speed. The arrival may be delayed by all sort of things but the direction and the arrival seem to be predictable.

Oh, and aren't we the larney toffee-nosed upper-class looking down on the trash!
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 12:55 PM   #1034
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,078
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Give me an example specifically.
No, I'm not going to scour the thread for documentation to something I wrote as a broad summary two months ago in a thread I've largely now forgotten. Had you been here to ask me when I was thinking of it, things might have been different. What do your Tarot cards say I was thinking back in March?

If you let up on the invective, I might be persuaded to re-read the thread and find an example. But not today.

Quote:
I am not dishonest so you can throw that bit of mudslinging at the wall.
"Wah! I'm being so badly treated!"

Quote:
There are two aspects to prediction - one is vague because of lack of precision but the broader picture remains the same. You seem unable to differentiate the two.
Actually I'm quite able, and I'm quite able to recognize ham-fisted attempts at equivocation when I see them.

Quote:
Example. A tank is moving towards us. It will get here shortly if it keeps going at its present speed. The arrival may be delayed by all sort of things but the direction and the arrival seem to be predictable.
Uniform motion is easily and unremarkably predictable from Newtonian dynamics. And if, as you suggest, the tank crew stops for an hour to have their lunch and you didn't know they were going to do that, your prediction will be wrong because uniform motion was not maintained. What you seem to want is credit for the prediction if the tank gets there anyway an hour later than you predicted, or gets somewhere at the time you did predict, or another vehicle drives by and distracts you. You're using the uncertainty in ordinary predictive reasoning to excuse your failure to exercise a supernatural prescience. You don't get to claim to be prescient unless you can see more of the unexpected changes in variables than chance would predict. You can't, so you don't get the claim.

Quote:
Oh, and aren't we the larney toffee-nosed upper-class looking down on the trash!
"Wah! My critics are such horrible people!"

Give it rest. If you have something substantive to say, stay here and say it. But your incessant whining is tedious and off-putting.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 01:38 PM   #1035
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,058
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
your incessant whining is tedious and off-putting.
Speak for yourself. I find his incessant whining to be very amusing.
__________________
Look what I found! There's this whole web site full of skeptics that spun off from the James Randy Education Foundation!
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 01:45 PM   #1036
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 10,539
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
In the last month I was beginning to wonder if he is not the Anti-Christ the Christians speak off as a Sign of End Times!
No, because the Anti-Christ and the End Times are just stories made up by profoundly ignorant, superstitious people who actually had no supernatural prophetic ability whatsoever, because there's no such thing.

Anything else you need explained to you? How to tie your shoe laces, perhaps?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 01:57 PM   #1037
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 22,480
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
This one is really scary...




Trump may have the ego to declare himself God.
When the mad Emperor Caligula declared himself to be God and then wanted a statue of himself to be erected in the Temple as an object of worship, Jews went bananas. Even for Trump's extreme Zionist supporters I think self deification in a rebuilt Temple would be over the top.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 01:26 PM   #1038
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,070
Mmm. The tone has really hit a new low. Time to jump ship maybe?
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 01:38 PM   #1039
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,752
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Mmm. The tone has really hit a new low. Time to jump ship maybe?
Oh, and aren't we the larney toffee-nosed upper-class looking down on the trash!
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 02:03 PM   #1040
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 10,539
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Mmm. The tone has really hit a new low. Time to jump ship maybe?
Unfortunately the percentage of wilfully ignorant, absurdly credulous woo slingers is even higher on most other forums.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:42 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.