ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th February 2018, 03:01 PM   #81
Civet
Graduate Poster

Baltimore on a no-kill streak! There were some non-lethal shootings so good medical response and poor marksmanship are contributing factors. Still, it's something.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...211-story.html
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 03:34 AM   #82
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Man, this is the stuff of movies.

Reminds me of those cops in the Wire stealing drug money during a bust.
But that was nothing compared to the -ahem- entrepreneurial spirit these guys displayed.

It never occurred to me that suspects can see how much money is in the police report, so they realise the cops robbed their drug money. That makes this a very dicey practice and makes me suspect that cops can't play this game for very long.
Old 13th February 2018, 05:17 AM   #83
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Man, this is the stuff of movies.

Reminds me of those cops in the Wire stealing drug money during a bust.
But that was nothing compared to the -ahem- entrepreneurial spirit these guys displayed.

It never occurred to me that suspects can see how much money is in the police report, so they realise the cops robbed their drug money. That makes this a very dicey practice and makes me suspect that cops can't play this game for very long.
Yea those cops only managed it for a decade or so. If they stuck to that and layed off the home invasions they might even still be considered good cops.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 12:17 PM   #84
Mumbles
Philosopher

And a few updates:

A Photo of the equipment one of the Gun Trace Task Force cops carried in his car - a level, what appear to be several knives and jimmies, and a grappling hook.

State's Attorney Mosby says that "thousands" of cases may be compromised by their actions.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 12:51 PM   #85
Civet
Graduate Poster

Baltimore police department is less than 2000 total officers. If everyone who's been implicated so far is guilty that's about 1% of the department on this one set of cases. This needs to be a movie or a tv show.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2018, 06:23 AM   #86
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Baltimore police department is less than 2000 total officers. If everyone who's been implicated so far is guilty that's about 1% of the department on this one set of cases. This needs to be a movie or a tv show.
Maybe Netflix will renew The Wire.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2018, 10:27 PM   #87
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Maybe Netflix will renew The Wire.
That would be a thing of beauty. Of course they might have to tone down the true story a little bit to make it feel more realistic.
Old 20th February 2018, 02:21 AM   #88
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

That would be a thing of beauty. Of course they might have to tone down the true story a little bit to make it feel more realistic.
To make it believable it will have to be toned down considerably and take place in a universe where Donald Trump isn't the president of the US.
Old 20th February 2018, 07:24 AM   #89
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

They already did that though. Real life Omar jumped from the 6th floor not the 4th floor like in the show.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 06:29 AM   #90
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It's not just homicides that have increased in Baltimore — commercial robberies are up 88 percent

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...117-story.html

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 11:35 AM   #91
Mumbles
Philosopher

So my pointing out one of the mpore basic and reasonable facts in all of this, namely, that a garbage police force can easily lead to more crime as people turn to settle their scores extra-legally - often gets met with derision (see: threads on Ferguson and B'More riots). Well...

Quote:
The students said police aren’t helping reduce gun violence. One suggested the Baltimore police don’t care about black people being shot in Baltimore. Another said police can’t be trusted.

Several said the police failure to solve more shootings and killings forces people to resort to street justice, which leads to retaliatory cycles of violence.
I'll add my voice to their in noting the drastic difference between how violence is treated depending on the victims. I'm happy to note that the Parkland students are getting attention, but I don't see many people calling them "thugs" (it's "crisis actors" at the worst, and even those are from the lunatic fringe), or making a big show of them "forgiving" the murderer as we saw in the Emmanuel First Baptist Church shooting. I'm also grimly amused that these students, unlike many who decry turning schools into prisons, are perfectly fine with metal detectors in schools. But really, the entire thing's worth a good read.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 10:42 AM   #92
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
So my pointing out one of the mpore basic and reasonable facts in all of this, namely, that a garbage police force can easily lead to more crime as people turn to settle their scores extra-legally - often gets met with derision (see: threads on Ferguson and B'More riots). Well...

I'll add my voice to their in noting the drastic difference between how violence is treated depending on the victims. I'm happy to note that the Parkland students are getting attention, but I don't see many people calling them "thugs" (it's "crisis actors" at the worst, and even those are from the lunatic fringe), or making a big show of them "forgiving" the murderer as we saw in the Emmanuel First Baptist Church shooting. I'm also grimly amused that these students, unlike many who decry turning schools into prisons, are perfectly fine with metal detectors in schools. But really, the entire thing's worth a good read.
Fairly interesting article. Not too many surprises. I was a bit shocked and suspicious of the claim that Baltimore's clearance rate for homicides is up to 64%. That's the national average and I'd expect theirs to be worse. I saw recently where a Maryland state legislator suggested just disbanding the BPD and starting over. Seems a bit much to me but the department definitely needs to get its act together.
Old 10th March 2018, 01:52 AM   #93
Mumbles
Philosopher

Fairly interesting article. Not too many surprises. I was a bit shocked and suspicious of the claim that Baltimore's clearance rate for homicides is up to 64%. That's the national average and I'd expect theirs to be worse. I saw recently where a Maryland state legislator suggested just disbanding the BPD and starting over. Seems a bit much to me but the department definitely needs to get its act together.
It likely helps that the murder rate seems to have fallen back to "normal" levels - they were sky-high this time last year, and this is also why the year-to-year comparison has fallen pretty dramatically.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events