ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 11th February 2018, 12:49 AM   #1321
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Plus, Trump tweets a lot of nonsense. The left wing keeps trying to convince everyone that tweets are binding, and then throwing a temper tantrum when people don't play along.
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I know, right? Where would anyone ever get such a rdiculous idea?

Oh... yeah.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...r-says-n768931
Yeah, but what theprestige is saying is, sure, Trump debases and disgraces the office of President with his tweets and demonstrates his unfitness for the office on a daily basis, but that's okay if it pisses off the libs.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 11th February 2018 at 12:51 AM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 01:04 AM   #1322
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
It delights me to no end that Trump's legal team knows full well that Trump is pathologically incapable of telling the truth. It further delights me to know that if Trump did tell the truth, that he would probably be in deep ****.

I figure this will wind up with a grand jury subpoena, Trump defying it, and then a SCOTUS ruling which Trump might also defy. That's when we'll learn if the barrel-bottom otherwise known as the GOP-controlled congress is capable of new depths.
Prediction time. *Adjust jacket. Straightens tie. Clears throat*

They are.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 01:34 AM   #1323
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Prediction time. *Adjust jacket. Straightens tie. Clears throat*

They are.
In for a penny, in for a pound; the ones who have already doubled down will likely go all in; and any other appropriate gambling analogies, because that's what they are doing.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 01:38 PM   #1324
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Yeah, but what theprestige is saying is, sure, Trump debases and disgraces the office of President with his tweets and demonstrates his unfitness for the office on a daily basis, but that's okay if it pisses off the libs.
I know. Right?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 02:06 PM   #1325
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I have evidence backing up my opinion.
And they do also. I have seen both sides evidence. I'm not impressed.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 08:56 AM   #1326
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I was sitting in a restaurant and heard some background noise from the TV. "...we'll soon learn what the judges think about Flynn." My ears perked up and I looked for the screen. The Flynn in question is a Bichon Frise. The judges liked him.
Old 15th February 2018, 11:58 PM   #1327
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Gates is finalizing a deal with Mueller: seems like a way to put the squeeze on Manafort.
Rick Gates is set to finalize a plea deal with Mueller and become the third cooperating witness in the Russia probe
http://www.businessinsider.com/rick-...anafort-2018-2
Old 16th February 2018, 01:48 AM   #1328
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Gates is finalizing a deal with Mueller: seems like a way to put the squeeze on Manafort.
Rick Gates is set to finalize a plea deal with Mueller and become the third cooperating witness in the Russia probe
http://www.businessinsider.com/rick-...anafort-2018-2
So what you're saying is that he didn't hire a lawyer whose speciality is plea deals just because he was trying to save money? Fancy that.
Old 16th February 2018, 02:01 AM   #1329
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Bannon has been interviewed by Mueller multiple times over the last week
Old 16th February 2018, 02:20 AM   #1330
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
how many shirts was he wearing?

That should tell us all we need to know.
Old 17th February 2018, 01:38 AM   #1331
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Mueller has interviewed former Trump legal team spokesman Mark Corallo. The is the man who reportedly quit over what he saw at attempts to obstruct justice. His lawyer has confirmed that he was giving evidence relating to an obstruction of justice case.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 17th February 2018 at 01:43 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2018, 01:48 AM   #1332
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Another guilty plea - this time Richard Pinedo, confessing to identity fraud.
Old 17th February 2018, 01:57 AM   #1333
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

New claim of bank fraud against Manafort
Old 17th February 2018, 07:03 AM   #1334
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Warning Please try harder to stay in the same general area as the topic - which is the alleged Russian interference in the 2016 election and the investigation. For the avoidance of doubt, President Obama, Mrs Clinton, the general economic policies of the two main American political parties and the framework of decision-making are not on topic.

Nor is insulting each other, whether in English or any other language. So remain civil and polite, report posts that breach the rules without responding or quoting, and stay on topic. Thank you.
Posted By:Agatha
Old 17th February 2018, 07:28 AM   #1335
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I was sitting in a restaurant and heard some background noise from the TV. "...we'll soon learn what the judges think about Flynn." My ears perked up and I looked for the screen. The Flynn in question is a Bichon Frise. The judges liked him.
Do you have a cute picture to illustrate your anecdote?
Old 17th February 2018, 07:36 AM   #1336
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Do you have a cute picture to illustrate your anecdote?
Flynn in restraints, avoiding reporters' questions
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2018, 08:00 AM   #1337
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

OK everyone, shhhh, ixnay on the eaplay, let's wait and see what applecorped says...

Last edited by varwoche; 17th February 2018 at 08:33 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2018, 09:44 AM   #1338
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Apology for the slow response: I don't read this stuff every day.

It's an insane world where... Well, observe: You recognize that legally it's a sensible--a sane!--thing to do. But you are still looking to blame him for doing something wrong.
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I think he should hold himself to the same standards he applies to other people in similar situations.

By his own words, he believes that the only people who plead the Fifth are people who are guilty.

So yes, I would blame him for pleading the Fifth if he is not guilty.
I don't give a ****. That wasn't the argument I was addressing.
Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
We know you don't care whether the President of the United States attacks those who assert their constitutional rights, including the right to remain silent.

Some of us do care. Indeed, some of us are inclined to think the fact that so many people don't care about that is a serious problem for the United States and its future as a constitutional democracy.
What you think you know about me is wrong.

One thing I know about you is that, following a series of posts suggesting and explaining why, when it comes to asserting constitutional rights, Trump should be held "to the same standards he applies to other people in similar situations", you said you "don't give a ****."

I also know that, in the Illya Kuryakin thread, you wrote this:

The Left's implicit support of communism, along with their support of any policy that might advance communism, is the only thing keeping me from switching sides. That and all the leftist douchebags I've met on this board.

So I also know you are hardly averse to judging others by what they've written on this board. Indeed, it looks as though you are quite willing to judge others on the basis of things they haven't actually written but you believe they support.

I am not, however, suggesting you should be judged by the same standards you apply to others. That would be just as unfair as suggesting Trump should be judged by the same standards he applies to others.

You still don't understand the actual problem.

What I do understand is that there are quite a few problems related to the topic of this thread. I also understand that ongoing attempts to deny the multiplicity of problems and their reality is one of the primary problems.

Here's another of the problems: Although Trump has a constitutional right to remain silent, and his silence per se would not be held against him in a court of law, exercising that right by refusing to answer Mueller's questions would forgo an opportunity to counter what Mueller is hearing from other witnesses.

We know, for example, James Comey prepared notes shortly after a private conversation with Trump on 14 February 2017. In those notes, Comey alleges Trump urged Comey to drop his investigation of Michael Flynn. (Flynn has, of course, pled guilty to one felony and is now cooperating with Mueller's broader investigation.)

Trump and Comey are the only witnesses to that conversation. If Trump declines to answer Mueller's questions about that conversation, Comey's testimony will continue to be the only evidence Mueller can take seriously concerning the substance of that conversation.

There are likely to be a number of other matters on which Trump is in a unique position to offer evidence that might be useful as a defense for Trump or for his associates. Trump and his lawyers must weigh the value of offering evidence only Trump can provide against risks that have been detailed within this thread.

Generally speaking, a guilty person has little to gain by answering questions (because truthful answers wouldn't help) and much to lose (because untruthful answers would be yet another crime).

For persons who are not guilty, the decision may not be as easy. There is something to gain, but there is also something to lose.

Trump has proclaimed his openness and willingness to talk to Mueller. The cynical among us might think Trump has done that only to bolster his assertions of innocence, relying on his lawyers to persuade him not to answer. After all, Trump also proclaimed his willingness to release his tax returns just as soon as his lawyers say it's okay for him to do so.

Trump has attacked others for exercising their constitutional right to remain silent. It would be unfair to attack Trump for doing the same thing.

But it is not unfair to decry Trump's attacks upon constitutional rights, and it is not unfair to highlight Trump's hypocrisy when he does what he has attacked others for doing.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2018, 08:32 PM   #1339
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

OK everyone, shhhh, ixnay on the eaplay, let's wait and see what applecorped says...
Any arrests yet? Har har har
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2018, 01:36 AM   #1340
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Gates will change his plea to guilty, maybe within the next few days, and will testify against Manafort
Old 19th February 2018, 02:45 PM   #1341
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Mueller is looking at Kushner's attempts to secure foreign investment in his companies during the transition
Old 19th February 2018, 04:21 PM   #1342
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That dossier must contain the gospel truth.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2018, 04:33 PM   #1343
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
That dossier must contain the gospel truth.
IIRC, Steele estimated its accuracy at 70-90%.
Old 19th February 2018, 05:13 PM   #1344
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Oh he was just someone who emptied the bins.
Old 19th February 2018, 05:18 PM   #1345
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

IIRC, Steele estimated its accuracy at 70-90%.
Do you have a source for that?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 01:24 AM   #1346
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Do you have a source for that?
It's a claim from the book Collusion. I have no idea of the book's veracity.
Old 20th February 2018, 08:24 AM   #1347
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Mueller has indicted attorney Alex Vanderswan. He was a lawyer who represented a Ukrainian ministry. He is charged with lying to the FBI.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 08:35 AM   #1348
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
<redacted pending security review>
Paging applecorped to the red courtesy phone.
Old 20th February 2018, 11:30 AM   #1349
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I've not seen this reported elsewhere (yet?), but there's a report of another indictment.
Old 20th February 2018, 11:32 AM   #1350
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, here you go.
Old 20th February 2018, 11:33 AM   #1351
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

And why this might be bad news for Trump.
Old 20th February 2018, 11:38 AM   #1352
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yeah, here you go.
Gates Manafort collateral damage...

with Russian oligarch relations that are also nipping around Trump's heels.
Old 20th February 2018, 12:27 PM   #1353
Cabbage
Critical Thinker

That page is now dead. Anyone got a quick summary of what it said?

Thanks!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2018, 12:54 AM   #1354
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Ru
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
That page is now dead. Anyone got a quick summary of what it said?

Thanks!
Zwaan is the son-in-law of a Russian oligarch with close ties to Putin that it's alleged Trump arranged to meet to discuss his run for presidency at the 2013 Miss Universe competition in Russia.
Old 21st February 2018, 01:27 AM   #1355
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

So that's now 4 guilty pleas and, what, 15 indictments? Just for those who think keeping score of the raw numbers is important.
Old 21st February 2018, 06:28 AM   #1356
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

So that's now 4 guilty pleas and, what, 15 indictments? Just for those who think keeping score of the raw numbers is important.

Woo! 'Bout time! LOCK 'ER UP!!!

Hmm? What? ... Oh.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2018, 09:45 AM   #1357
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

New charges against Gates & Manafort, in sealed documents
Old 21st February 2018, 09:47 AM   #1358
Belz...
Fiend God

Anyone in jail yet?

Oh, where's applecorped when you need him?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2018, 09:49 AM   #1359
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Charges against Gates.
Gates flips.
Lawyer who worked with Gates indicted.
Lawyer flips.
New charges against Gates.
Gates was holding out.
Naughty naughty, Gates.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2018, 04:38 PM   #1360
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Mueller has indicted attorney Alex Vanderswan. He was a lawyer who represented a Ukrainian ministry. He is charged with lying to the FBI.
Ru

Zwaan is the son-in-law of a Russian oligarch with close ties to Putin that it's alleged Trump arranged to meet to discuss his run for presidency at the 2013 Miss Universe competition in Russia.
[nitpick]His surname is Van der Zwaan.

He's a Dutchman working for a London law firm, and in 2012, he compiled a report which defended Yanokovich' handling of the prosecution of Ukrainian opposition leader Yulia Timoshenko for corruption. Somehow the report only cost $12k, though the law firm also received $1m a year later

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics