ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th February 2018, 11:34 AM   #41
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
CAC cards This is one area where the govt/military (shockingly) is ahead of private sector.
Not all private sector
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 11:47 AM   #42
Yeggster
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Really at this point we should have moved as an industry to bio-metrics and/or physical tokens being more of the industry standards.
I had a mini computer back in the mid 2000's that accepted finger print recognition for all my passwords, for everything.

This was a very small computer too (Sony UX-280) not much large than a big paperback novel ... why that feature is not on all computers at least as an option I have no idea.
Yeggster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 04:57 PM   #43
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
I had a mini computer back in the mid 2000's that accepted finger print recognition for all my passwords, for everything.

This was a very small computer too (Sony UX-280) not much large than a big paperback novel ... why that feature is not on all computers at least as an option I have no idea.
Cost.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 04:58 PM   #44
Yeggster
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Cost.
I actually have three of them ... I got them used .. about $500 to $700 each
Yeggster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 04:59 PM   #45
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I actually have three of them ... I got them used .. about $500 to $700 each
And yet cost is still the reason the feature isn't everywhere.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 05:03 PM   #46
Yeggster
Illuminator

And yet cost is still the reason the feature isn't everywhere.
If it WERE included the cost would come down .. but yes you're right .. ppl just shop for the lowest price
Old 9th February 2018, 05:17 PM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If it WERE included the cost would come down .. but yes you're right .. ppl just shop for the lowest price
People shop for what they want. Not enough people want it, to justify the cost of making it standard.
Old 9th February 2018, 05:20 PM   #48
Yeggster
Illuminator

People shop for what they want. Not enough people want it, to justify the cost of making it standard.
You're right ... I guess my point was this was possible 10 - 12 years ago ... it's such a simple thing, I'd like to see it much more commonly
Old 9th February 2018, 05:40 PM   #49
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's often a shock to discover how long a thing was possible, before it became ubiquitous.
Old 9th February 2018, 06:02 PM   #50
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Two problems holding fingerprint scanners back:

•Instant loss of access if you get injured in the finger you were using (which, for some people, tends to happen repeatedly) until it heals (assuming it ever really does)

•People for whom it just won't work anyway even if they're always injury-free, because their fingerprints are too smooth or even just not there; a single-digit percentage of the population, but maybe double-digit among middle-aged and older women... and almost nobody who's in this situation knows it until they try to use a fingerprint scanner and it doesn't work. At my job, this means they find out when trying to check in to donate blood plasma, and it's up to us to work around it by a fingerprintless identification method. But in products people buy for themselves, it means they don't find out that they can't use it until they already have it. That's a higher customer dissatisfaction rate than any company wants to deal with.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 06:07 PM   #51
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think either of those are problems, actually. I doubt they're what's holding back adoption.
Old 10th February 2018, 12:53 AM   #52
rdaneel
Illuminator

I was just on a page that reminded me of an annoyance. When you get to the bottom of a page with a "Load more" link, and instead of loading the new content below the link so you can just continue from there, it loads it above the link, keeping you at the bottom of the page and forcing you have to scroll back up to find the place you were.
- Agatha Heterodyne
"Million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten." - Terry Pratchett
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2018, 07:50 AM   #53
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Two problems holding fingerprint scanners back:

•Instant loss of access if you get injured in the finger you were using (which, for some people, tends to happen repeatedly) until it heals (assuming it ever really does)
Perhaps there are some very bad implementations out there but the ones I have experience with never have this problem. This is because you can register multiple fingers and there is a standard password set up just in case all your registered fingers get damaged at the same time.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 07:29 AM   #54
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I was deleting a greedy, unused app from MrsB's phone and got the following question and options:

"Do you want to replace this app with the factory version?
Cancel
Accept"

Well, neither matey. I want to delete the friggin' thing entirely
As it happens I tried "Accept" and the app went away. Weird.
Old 12th February 2018, 08:21 AM   #55
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I was deleting a greedy, unused app from MrsB's phone and got the following question and options:

"Do you want to replace this app with the factory version?
Cancel
Accept"

Well, neither matey. I want to delete the friggin' thing entirely
As it happens I tried "Accept" and the app went away. Weird.
That means there is a factory provided app which provides similar functionality to the app you are uninstalling. When the new app was installed it told the OS to substitute the new app for the factory app whenever that functionality is needed. Factory apps are permanently burned in to read only memory so they can not be deleted and they take up no user storage space.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:51 AM   #56
GlennB

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
That means there is a factory provided app which provides similar functionality to the app you are uninstalling. When the new app was installed it told the OS to substitute the new app for the factory app whenever that functionality is needed. Factory apps are permanently burned in to read only memory so they can not be deleted and they take up no user storage space.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. The original app (Google Drive) was not only gobbling battery but restarting spontaneously even when I stopped it, and I assumed that the factory version might take over that behaviour. So far so good.
Old 12th February 2018, 10:47 AM   #57
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
Perhaps there are some very bad implementations out there but the ones I have experience with never have this problem. This is because you can register multiple fingers and there is a standard password set up just in case all your registered fingers get damaged at the same time.
My phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) has a a fingerprint scanner and it works as you describe. I have both left and right index fingers registered. My only complaint is that it insists on a password after restarting. It didn't when I first got it, but after an Android upgrade, it always display a message "unable to use fingerprints after restart", and I have to key the password to log in the first time.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 10:59 AM   #58
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Ah, thanks for the explanation. The original app (Google Drive) was not only gobbling battery but restarting spontaneously even when I stopped it, and I assumed that the factory version might take over that behaviour. So far so good.
If the phone has an application manager like mine does under settings, you might have the option of disabling the app from there.
- Agatha Heterodyne
"Million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten." - Terry Pratchett
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 05:39 PM   #59
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
My phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) has a a fingerprint scanner and it works as you describe. I have both left and right index fingers registered. My only complaint is that it insists on a password after restarting. It didn't when I first got it, but after an Android upgrade, it always display a message "unable to use fingerprints after restart", and I have to key the password to log in the first time.
They added that requirement to improve security. My Nexus 5X running Oreo now also asks periodically as well as after a reboot.
Old 12th February 2018, 05:54 PM   #60
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
I was just on a page that reminded me of an annoyance. When you get to the bottom of a page with a "Load more" link, and instead of loading the new content below the link so you can just continue from there, it loads it above the link, keeping you at the bottom of the page and forcing you have to scroll back up to find the place you were.
Or loads as a new page starting from the top of the one you've just read, so you have to scroll down to find the additional content. Politifact does this.
Old 13th February 2018, 04:29 AM   #61
GlennB

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
If the phone has an application manager like mine does under settings, you might have the option of disabling the app from there.
I did disable it, but it re-enabled itself
Old 24th February 2018, 03:07 AM   #62
3point14
Pi

Open website - *********** great pointless banner at the top chewing up a good 15% of the space available.

Scroll down - Phew, it disappears.

While reading, realise I've not quite comprehended a bit of text.

Scroll back up, - *********** great banner again!!! I know which website, I've visited!!! I chose to *********** go there. I don't need your *********** organisation telling me, again, what I already know. I just want to read the *********** text, your amazing web design skills only betray your lack of understanding of what the people visiting your website actually want. You *****.

**** it annoys me.
Old 23rd April 2018, 02:54 PM   #63
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I retired from the military last year. So lately I've discovered the joys of the VA website.

It's... unbelievably poorly designed.

Resetting a password involved me scanning a copy of my Passport.

That was the least stupid part of the process.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet