ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun laws , Washington politics

Old 26th January 2018, 01:48 PM   #1
Ranb
Philosopher

WA Senate passes bump stock ban

http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/...an/1069897001/
Quote:
"It aligns current practices with our state laws and our state laws have never allowed for fully automatic weapons," said Democratic Sen. Kevin Van De Wege, who described himself as a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association. "Therefore, I believe our state should not allow bump stocks."
Senator Van De Wege should think before he speaks. WA allowed machine guns for anyone allowed to own a gun until restrictions were placed on them in 1934 and 1994. Now, other than police and military, they're restricted to licensees who are issued a license on demand as long as they fill out the application correctly.

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bienni...lls/5992.E.pdf
Basically the bill treats bump stocks like machine guns. The ban on making them goes into effect in July 2018, the ban on possession is on July 2019.

The votes were mostly divided on party lines. There were a few GOP yeas and at least one Democrat nay vote. The bill will go to the House where the Democrats have a small majority.

As far as I'm concerned all of the debate/motions/activity on this bill was a waste of time as it criminalizes non-violent behavior for the most part and will most likely have zero effect on crime except for those people who are foolish enough to not destroy, sell or dispose out of state their newly banned accessories.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 06:28 PM   #2
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Feelz good.
Old 26th January 2018, 08:45 PM   #3
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

What's the function of a bump stock?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 08:56 PM   #4
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Feelz good.

Oh, hell yeah ...!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 10:04 PM   #5
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/...an/1069897001/

Senator Van De Wege should think before he speaks. WA allowed machine guns for anyone allowed to own a gun until restrictions were placed on them in 1934 and 1994. Now, other than police and military, they're restricted to licensees who are issued a license on demand as long as they fill out the application correctly.

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bienni...lls/5992.E.pdf
Basically the bill treats bump stocks like machine guns. The ban on making them goes into effect in July 2018, the ban on possession is on July 2019.

The votes were mostly divided on party lines. There were a few GOP yeas and at least one Democrat nay vote. The bill will go to the House where the Democrats have a small majority.

As far as I'm concerned all of the debate/motions/activity on this bill was a waste of time as it criminalizes non-violent behavior for the most part and will most likely have zero effect on crime except for those people who are foolish enough to not destroy, sell or dispose out of state their newly banned accessories.
Are you saying that my sister in WA can buy a machine/fully auto gun if she fills out the paperwork correctly? If so I need to let her know!
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 11:08 PM   #6
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
...snip...

Bump firing is a method of ......... never mind. Here you go;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_fire

Ranb

...snip...

Edited by jsfisher:  Edited for compliance with Rule 12 of the Membership Agreement.

Last edited by jsfisher; 28th January 2018 at 02:36 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 11:13 PM   #7
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Are you saying that my sister in WA can buy a machine/fully auto gun if she fills out the paperwork correctly? If so I need to let her know!
Yes. The FFL is $200/3 years; https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/fo...31016/download The SOT is $1000/year; https://www.atf.gov/file/11286/download

WA RCW Unlawful firearms - exceptions https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.190

Hope she has a ball.

Last edited by Ranb; 26th January 2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 26th January 2018, 11:45 PM   #8
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

...snip...

Bump firing is a method of ......... never mind. Here you go;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_fire

Ranb

...snip...
Edited by jsfisher:  Moderated content redacted.

I see. Then I agree with the legislation.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine

Last edited by jsfisher; 28th January 2018 at 02:37 PM.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 11:54 PM   #9
Ranb
Philosopher

I see. Then I agree with the legislation.
What effect do you think it will have on crime in WA? Do you think it could save anyone's life at all?

If bump stocks were banned in NV I don't think they would have made a difference.
Old 26th January 2018, 11:56 PM   #10
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

What effect do you think it will have on crime in WA? Do you think it could save anyone's life at all?

If bump stocks were banned in NV I don't think they would have made a difference.
The ability to shoot rapidly is unnecessary unless one wants to kill many people.
Old 26th January 2018, 11:59 PM   #11
Ranb
Philosopher

The ability to shoot rapidly is unnecessary unless one wants to kill many people.
A bump stock is not required if one wants to shoot rapidly. A person can bump fire a semi-auto without a bump fire stock or legally modify the gun to shoot full-auto.

I think you're being evasive. What effect do you think it will have on crime in WA? Do you think it could save anyone's life at all?
Old 27th January 2018, 12:02 AM   #12
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Bump stock makes it easier to shoot faster, that's what your link says. I don't think it would reduce crime. I think it would reduce a person's ability to kill large amounts of people. I don't think I care about your right to shoot lots of bullets in a short amount of time.
Old 27th January 2018, 12:12 AM   #13
Ranb
Philosopher

Bump stock makes it easier to shoot faster, that's what your link says.
Remember when I referred to your tendency to ignore evidence that was presented to you? You're doing it again. The Wikipedia link describes bump firing in detail; without using a bump fire stock. It also describes bump stocks.

Quote:
I don't think it would reduce crime.
Okay, then why waste time worrying about it in the Senate?

Quote:
I think it would reduce a person's ability to kill large amounts of people.
Knowing a person can bump fire rapidly without a bump fire stock, how is banning them going to reduce their ability to fire faster and kill large amounts of people?

Quote:
I don't think I care about your right to shoot lots of bullets in a short amount of time.
I know you don't, but that can be a topic for another time. This topic was about the stupid waste of time that is the attempt to ban bump fire stocks. You don't need to make it about me and my rights.
Old 27th January 2018, 12:30 AM   #14
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Another step in the right direction. More is needed, but a good start.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 12:34 AM   #15
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I will add that machine guns, flame throwers and nuclear weapons in the possession of a harmless person will do no damage. Doesn't mean that these weapons shouldn't be banned.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 12:56 AM   #16
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Another step in the right direction. More is needed, but a good start.
And gun control supporters wonder why gun owners don't support gun control proposals when any proposed statute is "another step in the right direction."

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 03:49 AM   #17
Lurch
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
And gun control supporters wonder why gun owners don't support gun control proposals when any proposed statute is "another step in the right direction."
And gun rights advocates mostly seem to think that *no* control is a step in the right direction.

The counter argument is that restricting bump stocks will not deter crime, or deter bad folk from using them. Of course, that's true. Just as it's true that the admonition against terrorists using a tactical nuke they might 'obtain' against a city will not dissuade them if the opportunity should arise.

But in the latter instance a mighty effort is expended against such an eventuality. We see it to be a worthwhile endeavour to keep tactical nukes out of the hands of the unauthorized.

And so it should be for other devices whole principal role is the rapid dispatch of souls to their maker.

Ya gotta start *somewhere*, if the nation is to advance into the 20th century (let alone the 21st) along with all other developed--and many less developed--nations.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 06:32 AM   #18
Parsman
Muse

BStrong, what actions or laws do you believe would improve the dreadful record of the USA when it comes to gun deaths and injuries? Do you accept that there are some laws or actions that could be taken up that would improve the horrendous statistic of almost 1 mass shooting a day in the nation? This seems to be the problem for your country - on one side no action is strong enough and on the other any action is too strong.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 06:36 AM   #19
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
BStrong, what actions or laws do you believe would improve the dreadful record of the USA when it comes to gun deaths and injuries? Do you accept that there are some laws or actions that could be taken up that would improve the horrendous statistic of almost 1 mass shooting a day in the nation? This seems to be the problem for your country - on one side no action is strong enough and on the other any action is too strong.
Of course gun control would reduce gun violence. That isn't a good enough reason to support those laws.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 07:50 AM   #20
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's only a fringe of gun owners impacted and really, why do they matter? It's hard to generate sympathy for people who don't mind when entire classrooms of first grader get shot just so they can enjoy their hobby.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 08:54 AM   #21
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It's only a fringe of gun owners impacted and really, why do they matter? It's hard to generate sympathy for people who don't mind when entire classrooms of first grader get shot just so they can enjoy their hobby.
Well, hell, yeah! The Tree of Liberty needs to be periodically watered with the blood of kids going to class or C&W fans at a concert!

Get your priorities straight, ya spineless librul.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 08:55 AM   #22
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Of course gun control would reduce gun violence. That isn't a good enough reason to support those laws.
It's not good enough for BobTheCoward. It's just fine by Foolmewunz.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 09:00 AM   #23
NoahFence
Suspended

makes mass murder a hell of a lot quicker.
NoahFence is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 09:01 AM   #24
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I'm generally of the "sure, let 'em have this one" mind when it comes to bump-fire stocks, but...that's a good point.

It's hard to argue that it's not a slippery slope when you have people out there pouring grease on the hill.
Old 27th January 2018, 09:04 AM   #25
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
Well said.

Here’s a tip for gun enthusiasts who see any of this kind of legislation as a gross infringement on their rights: Start being part of the solution. Do you think laws like this are pointless? Great. Propose better ones.

Start demonstrating that you actually want to do something meaningful to curb gun violence in this country, and maybe when you whine about your toys being made less fun, the rest of us will care.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 09:10 AM   #26
crescent
Master Poster

I think one of the biggest differences is that many gun control advocates want laws that proactively prevent violence with guns, firearms rights advocates want laws that react to violence with guns.

One keeps criminals from having guns. The other punishes them severely for having guns, with the hope that will have a deterrent effect.

Much like the death penalty, that deterrent effect does not work well.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 09:14 AM   #27
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
And gun rights advocates mostly seem to think that *no* control is a step in the right direction.
"Mostly", I'd like to see where you got this from. There are/were bills to make it easier to keep guns away from spouse abusers, require permission from any property owner prior to bringing a concealed weapon onto their property as well as other gun control bills. I saw hardly any activity online or at the capitol about them at all.

Quote:
The counter argument ....
I think it's time to put the gun vs nukes argument to bed and never let it wake up again. It's worse than swimming pools vs guns.

Quote:
And so it should be for other devices whole principal role is the rapid dispatch of souls to their maker.
If the purpose of slide fire stocks is to kill more rapidly, then why are 99.999% (I estimate) or more of their owners unwilling to use them in this manner?
How did you determine what the purpose of a slide fire stock was?

Quote:
Ya gotta start *somewhere*, if the nation is to advance into the 20th century (let alone the 21st) along with all other developed--and many less developed--nations.
What other nations have banned slide fire stocks?
Old 27th January 2018, 10:08 AM   #28
NoahFence
Suspended

When doing absolutely nothing to stem the tide is the status quo, naturally any proposals, no matter how toothless, is going to be viewed by gun nuts as the beginning of a slippery slope.
NoahFence is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 10:30 AM   #29
Lurch
Critical Thinker

"Mostly", I'd like to see where you got this from. There are/were bills to make it easier to keep guns away from spouse abusers, require permission from any property owner prior to bringing a concealed weapon onto their property as well as other gun control bills. I saw hardly any activity online or at the capitol about them at all.

I think it's time to put the gun vs nukes argument to bed and never let it wake up again. It's worse than swimming pools vs guns.

If the purpose of slide fire stocks is to kill more rapidly, then why are 99.999% (I estimate) or more of their owners unwilling to use them in this manner?
How did you determine what the purpose of a slide fire stock was?

I did write "mostly", not "all". And it would be nice to see measures more broadly restrictive, not limited to, e.g., spouse abusers already convicted. In other ways RDS, get proactive, not reactive.

While the guns 'n nukes comparison is admittedly extreme, it does nonetheless point out the line of thought which suggests itself to thoughtful people when dealing with explicit death-dealing devices. And the swimmng pools bit is not applicable because pools are not explicitly made to kill.

The purpose of a slide fire stock is to increase the rate of fire of a firearm--a device whose principal purpose is to kill. I'm overlooking that other purpose of which is the orgiastic release for those who derive power from the weilding of such a device.

Look. I know the *vast* majority of gun owners are responsible and lawful. But the numbers speak for themselves; too many of your citizens are killing each other with guns simply because guns are frightfully plentiful and so easy to obtain.

Something like the equivalent of fifteen 9/11s worth of American lives are taken by guns every year. Forget international terrorism, war and criminal illegals; you guys are exacting a toll on your own citizens by your own hands that eclipse those other causes of death put together.

It's topsy-turvy, upside-down crazy. You lot fret and wring your hands over the prospect of even just a handful of deaths by foreign terrorists, and spend untold millions of dollars (billions, more likely) in the effort to thwart such. But you blithely shrug off the likes of Sandy Hook as the price of your collective gun fetish.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 03:04 PM   #30
Ranb
Philosopher

I did write "mostly", not "all". And it would be nice to see measures more broadly restrictive, not limited to, e.g., spouse abusers already convicted. In other ways RDS, get proactive, not reactive.
So where is "mostly" coming from? Is it coming from the polls that allegedly show most NRA members want more gun control?

Quote:
While the guns 'n nukes comparison is admittedly extreme, it does nonetheless ....
Until I'm allowed to own a nuke, it will be stupid, Period.

Quote:
The purpose of a slide fire stock is to increase the rate of fire of a firearm--a device whose principal purpose is to kill.
Actually it seems the principle purpose is to send bullets downrange for recreational activities.
Old 27th January 2018, 04:03 PM   #31
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Things are being done.

Things!
Old 27th January 2018, 04:44 PM   #32
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Yes, it’s a shame we don’t just put into action all of the comprehensive plans from the NRA set to curb the threat of gun violence. Those people have got it all figured out.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 05:32 PM   #33
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Well, hell, yeah! The Tree of Liberty needs to be periodically watered with the blood of kids going to class or C&W fans at a concert!

Get your priorities straight, ya spineless librul.
And yet if someone said "the blood of kids at an Arianna grande concert requires that we ban muslims ", suddenly you'd care about civil rights.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 07:48 PM   #34
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Knowing a person can bump fire rapidly without a bump fire stock, how is banning them going to reduce their ability to fire faster and kill large amounts of people?
You make a good point. We should ban semi-automatic weapons as well.
Old 27th January 2018, 07:52 PM   #35
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
And yet if someone said "the blood of kids at an Arianna grande concert requires that we ban muslims ", suddenly you'd care about civil rights.
Gun ownership isn't a civil right.
Old 27th January 2018, 07:53 PM   #36
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Gun ownership isn't a civil right.
People disagree with you on that.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2018, 03:51 AM   #37
Lurch
Critical Thinker

If the principal purpose of a bump stock is to send bullets downrange at a higher rate during recreational shooting, then why don't we permit the wide ownership of full-auto machine guns to send bullets more rapidly toward the target at the range? It's only about target practice, right? After all, guns don't kill; people do.

Let's for the moment take off the table criminals with malicious intent. If we look only to crimes of passion, where in the heat of the moment an otherwise good person snaps into a murderous rage, a gun ready to hand makes killing so easy. The up close and personal, effort-requiring, messy and potentially dangerous to self knife attack will give more folks pause than will the less intimate, stand-off, near zero effort of pulling a trigger.

Curb access to guns and the homicide rate will fall precipitously. Most of the rest of the world has already figured this out. It's utterly senseless for there to be all kinds of rhetoric about foreign terrorists so as to keep Americans safe--God forbid that a single citizen be slain by a 'Muzzie'--while there is such apathy regarding the annual harvest of many thousands (including children) by your own hands. That's a double standard of ludicrous proportion. "Only Americans reserve the right to kill Americans, and we'll die defending that right!"
Old 28th January 2018, 05:50 AM   #38
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

If the principal purpose of a bump stock is to send bullets downrange at a higher rate during recreational shooting, then why don't we permit the wide ownership of full-auto machine guns to send bullets more rapidly toward the target at the range? It's only about target practice, right? After all, guns don't kill; people do.

Let's for the moment take off the table criminals with malicious intent. If we look only to crimes of passion, where in the heat of the moment an otherwise good person snaps into a murderous rage, a gun ready to hand makes killing so easy. The up close and personal, effort-requiring, messy and potentially dangerous to self knife attack will give more folks pause than will the less intimate, stand-off, near zero effort of pulling a trigger.

Curb access to guns and the homicide rate will fall precipitously. Most of the rest of the world has already figured this out. It's utterly senseless for there to be all kinds of rhetoric about foreign terrorists so as to keep Americans safe--God forbid that a single citizen be slain by a 'Muzzie'--while there is such apathy regarding the annual harvest of many thousands (including children) by your own hands. That's a double standard of ludicrous proportion. "Only Americans reserve the right to kill Americans, and we'll die defending that right!"
It is an affront to the rights of human beings that we can't freely own automatic weapons.
Old 28th January 2018, 07:00 AM   #39
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Well while not technically illegal, in NZ you would need to have an E-Class licence to own one and police permission to import them.

So far 2 import licence have been requested and both have been denied.

So, yeah, in the way that counts, they are banned.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2018, 08:08 AM   #40
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Don't tell the Aussies that they're banning guns.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics