ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:43 AM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Public accusations of racism are never a mistake. Even when false (are they ever really false?), they're still not a mistake.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:46 AM   #42
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Grounds for defamation suit
Doesn't that belong in the Starbucks thread?
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:50 AM   #43
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Public accusations of racism are never a mistake. Even when false (are they ever really false?), they're still not a mistake.
I'm as leftist a liberal as anyone, but in this case any accusation of racism is false.
Your brush is broader than the bucket of paint you try to use on the left.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:52 AM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I'm as leftist a liberal as anyone, but in this case any accusation of racism is false.
Your brush is broader than the bucket of paint you try to use on the left.
Tar. Bucket of tar.

Anyway, good job ignoring the point of my post, in your haste to attack the parenthetical.

Last edited by theprestige; 2nd June 2018 at 11:53 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:00 PM   #45
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Doesn't that belong in the Starbucks thread?
That's a main reason why I think the manager at Starbucks was in fact racist. She didn't deny or offer alternative explanation. And she resigned, was not fired. And she enforced policy unequally, where in the bakery it was quite equally enforced...

Wait, where is the similarity again?
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:12 PM   #46
Whip
Muse

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
"Unjustly called racists". Who has proven that they are not racists? Who has proven that the woman was not denied a muffin because she is black?
who has proven she has? you can't be serious. just because a non white person is denied a service isn't automatic racism. this is a problem.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:14 PM   #47
Whip
Muse

Will we see the accuser pick up a microphone and publicly announce, "it wasn't racism. I made a huge mistake"?
why isn't the accuser the racist in this instance if it's true white people were given the same excuse?
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:16 PM   #48
Whip
Muse

Tar. Bucket of tar.

Anyway, good job ignoring the point of my post, in your haste to attack the parenthetical.
so what was the point of your post since I read it the same way they did.
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:17 PM   #49
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
who has proven she has? you can't be serious. just because a non white person is denied a service isn't automatic racism. this is a problem.
This is Parcher playing "Devil's Advocate" and predicting what others will say. I am pretty sure he doesn't think this is racist.
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:28 PM   #50
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
The current occupant of the Oval Office qualifies on both counts.
I've said the same about Rush Limbaugh, Jeff Sessions, Steve King, Megyn Kelly, Anthony Cumia, a host of minor comedians, Tucker Carlson, Bill O'Reilly...the list goes on and on, really. And that's only for white people who were obviously racist, in recent history.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 02:45 PM   #51
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

why isn't the accuser the racist in this instance if it's true white people were given the same excuse?
Because accusations of racism are never a mistake.
Old 2nd June 2018, 03:27 PM   #52
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

They must be racist because they have white skin.

It would be humerous if one of the employees could pull out a certificate to show they were 1/100th African or 1/20th Native American, and then sue the accuser and employer for degomation, unfair dismissal and racisim. But then in ths increasingly idiocratic world this scenario will probably happen soon.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 08:39 PM   #53
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

so what was the point of your post since I read it the same way they did.
Public accusations of racism are never a mistake. Even when they're false or wrong, they're still not a mistake.
Old 2nd June 2018, 09:03 PM   #54
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Public accusations of racism are never a mistake. Even when they're false or wrong, they're still not a mistake.
Yeah, we get it. 11 straw man irony points for Hufflepuff.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 10:51 PM   #55
sadhatter
Philosopher

I wonder if these two fired workers will feel some necessity or obligation to repeatedly say to people, "but I'm not a racist" over the next few years.
Problem is that they will be forever branded this way. Places won't hire them based on the off chance people will say "are you that lady that was in the news for refusing to serve a black woman?" Not based on the facts of the case.

But I guess this is what a poster meant when they said that white people need to pay for the songs of their fathers and need to stop whining. Seems a lot uglier than people would like to think.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 10:53 PM   #56
sadhatter
Philosopher

That's a main reason why I think the manager at Starbucks was in fact racist. She didn't deny or offer alternative explanation. And she resigned, was not fired. And she enforced policy unequally, where in the bakery it was quite equally enforced...

Wait, where is the similarity again?
What if someone said 3 white people were served.

All being equal, do you think you could accurately know if they were lying?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:23 PM   #57
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
My staff and I often serve people as much as half an hour after the official closing time of my business.

Why?

Two words... "customer service!". You give good customer service to people and they tell other people.
Hope you pay them for the time. A lot of retail chains dont.
Old 3rd June 2018, 01:55 PM   #58
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Yeah, we get it. 11 straw man irony points for Hufflepuff.
Do we? Some of us still seem to be struggling with the overt meaning of the words used.
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:35 PM   #59
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Do we? Some of us still seem to be struggling with the overt meaning of the words used.
If someone misunderstands me, I make it out to be their problem and might feel free to ignore them.

If everybody misunderstands me, I've got a problem with my communication.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:46 PM   #60
Metullus
Forum -Wit Pro Tem

If someone misunderstands me, I make it out to be their problem and might feel free to ignore them.

If everybody misunderstands me, I've got a problem with my communication.
The fact that the accusation was false or incorrect does not make the accusation a mistake. The false accusation could have been deliberately made in the full knowledge that it was false. That would not be a "mistake".

Given the facts presented, I think it unlikely that the accusation of racism was a "mistake".

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy

Last edited by Metullus; 3rd June 2018 at 09:48 PM.
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:55 PM   #61
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post
The fact that the accusation was false or incorrect does not make the accusation a mistake. The false accusation could have been deliberately made in the full knowledge that it was false. That would not be a "mistake".
I rest my case. theprestige does not mean a word of the line he's been repeating. It's a bit of satire/sarcasm. (a.k.a. "a straw man")

Old 3rd June 2018, 10:18 PM   #62
Metullus
Forum -Wit Pro Tem

I rest my case. theprestige does not mean a word of the line he's been repeating. It's a bit of satire/sarcasm. (a.k.a. "a straw man")
I suspect he means precisely what he is saying.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy

Last edited by Metullus; 3rd June 2018 at 10:21 PM.
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:39 PM   #63
Parsman
Muse

Happens in my place of work frequently. If there are customers in the building when we close, we lock the door to stop anyone else getting in and serve and let the customers out when they are done. Not difficult to do. Sometimes if someone can be quick we might even let them in past closing time if we still have customers. Seems to be decent customer service and just being human over all. These employees might not be racist, I've seen no evidence they are, but these people might not have been cut out for employment in a customer facing environment.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 12:38 AM   #64
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe the method of refusing this woman differed to the method refusing the two white women? Same justification but different method? Just a thought.

From a distant past working in a service profession, if a customer objects to even a polite refusal of service (for example because the establishment is closed), just serve the customer. You can even talk **** about him/her afterwards.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 04:59 AM   #65
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
What if someone said 3 white people were served.

All being equal, do you think you could accurately know if they were lying?
I don't understand what you are asking. The whole story could in theory be lies. The bakery, the fired workers, Lillian, all of it. Are you asking if someone randomly gave false witness, how could we tell?
Old 4th June 2018, 05:11 AM   #66
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. I suspect butter wouldn't melt in his mouth and he's baiting progressives, liberals, SJWs and snowflakes.

Old 4th June 2018, 05:18 AM   #67
Thermal
Illuminator

From ABC 30, linked in the OP:

Quote:
The bakery's statement says that even though it does not consider the employees to be racist and that they were following the business's protocol of closing at 9 p.m., they were fired because "sometimes impact outweighs intent."
In the statement "Back To Eden" says the employees were fired because the woman and the "clamoring public" demanded they be fired.

In one statement, the bakery admitted that the employees did not necessarily do anything wrong, "this is more about how a black woman was made to feel" at the business.
The bakery has since deleted those statements. Wonder why?

http://abcstlouis.com/news/nation-wo...-after-closing
Old 4th June 2018, 05:30 AM   #68
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
So we had the tiki torch white supremacists getting called out and fired. That makes sense.

We have have two bakery employees getting fired for closing the shop at the time the shop closed and dubious reasoning being applied to label them racist.

Where along the gradient does a sense of goddamn perspective kick in?

Portland may not be the best place to get a national opinion about this, btw :9.
Perhaps the two employees voted for Trump, so they knew they were racist...
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 05:39 AM   #69
Drewbot
Philosopher

But truly, the muffin shop should have hired a more diverse crew to man the shop.

Because they should know by now that diversity= workers wanting to stay at work past closing.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 05:53 AM   #70
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I mean what you interpreted, anyway. I apologize for making the discussion worse, instead of better.
Old 4th June 2018, 06:05 AM   #71
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The bakery has since deleted those statements. Wonder why?
I wouldn't be surprised if the reason that they removed the statements is because they were told that they were racist statements. The owners' explanation for what actions they took and why is a white racist explanation.
Old 4th June 2018, 06:23 AM   #72
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I mean what you interpreted, anyway. I apologize for making the discussion worse, instead of better.
I don't know if it made it better or worse, but I also understood your post perfectly well.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 06:54 AM   #73
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

It's quite possible that the workers were racist towards the black woman and refused her service due to the bakery being closed. I'm not saying that happened, but it's logically possible, and as we lack information, cannot be dismissed as a possibility.

It could also be the case that the workers are the least racist people you've ever seen and that the PC-run-amock crowd are lining up behind the customer simply because she's black, thus forever proving that liberals are the true racists. I mean, it could be that.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 07:13 AM   #74
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
It's quite possible that the workers were racist towards the black woman and refused her service due to the bakery being closed. I'm not saying that happened, but it's logically possible, and as we lack information, cannot be dismissed as a possibility.
Only if you ignore the two white people sho came in before her, but after closing, who were also turned away. The treatment was exactly the same, so no issue.

Quote:
It could also be the case that the workers are the least racist people you've ever seen and that the PC-run-amock crowd are lining up behind the customer simply because she's black, thus forever proving that liberals are the true racists. I mean, it could be that.
Except, on the national level, nobody is actually standing behind her, and even the shop's twitter feed shows nobody saying that they did anything right. Even the owners said "Yeah, no racism, but you're still fired." No national activist is discussing it, no major media is giving her positive coverage, the only protests are people saying "Hey, treat your workers better than this." which I agree with. So, there seems to be no such crowd.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 07:14 AM   #75
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It was easy to understand based on prior conversations. Such as negligent discharges never being an accident.

It is a solid point that needed to be made, but some people may have been reading in haste and thought you were pulling more of a cain than a thepretige.

The accuser knew what she was doing and got the attention desired. Now, it is incumbent on the community to make sure she gets the attention she deserves. I'm not familiar enough with the community to know if that is likely.

ETA: Based on Mumbles's post directly above mine it sounds like she is getting the attention she deserves. That is good.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 4th June 2018 at 07:15 AM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 10:55 AM   #76
mgidm86
Illuminator

Maybe the method of refusing this woman differed to the method refusing the two white women? Same justification but different method? Just a thought.

From a distant past working in a service profession, if a customer objects to even a polite refusal of service (for example because the establishment is closed), just serve the customer. You can even talk **** about him/her afterwards.

Keep digging and I'm sure you'll find the racism!
Old 4th June 2018, 12:46 PM   #77
Metullus
Forum -Wit Pro Tem

You made a good point - there is nothing for which you need apologize.

Old 4th June 2018, 01:05 PM   #78
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Dupe

Last edited by theprestige; 4th June 2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: dupe dupe
Old 4th June 2018, 01:08 PM   #79
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. I suspect butter wouldn't melt in his mouth and he's baiting progressives, liberals, SJWs and snowflakes.
Not baiting, and not satire. A statement of how our society works right now. Even when the accusation is wrong; even when some are willing to say after the fact that it was wrong; what actually happens? The employees are still fired.

And the next time someone makes a public accusation of racism, what's going to happen? Is the employer going to tell them they've made a mistake? Will they survive the "believe the 'victim'" ********* that will erupt if they do?

There are no real consequences, right now, to mistakenly accusing someone of racism. There are, however, significant consequences for claiming that the accusation was a mistake. That's why Starbucks promptly fired the offending employee, and staged a major production of Woke Theater involving their all their branch employees.

That's why this bakery promptly fired two of their employees. That's why the reason they gave for the firing was that even though the accusation was a mistake, it wasn't really a mistake. And that's why they ultimately removed even that explanation. Because even when it's a mistake, it's not allowed to treat it as a mistake.

That bakery is lucky they haven't had a brick through their window, over the stuff they posted on their website trying to whitesplain explain what happened. If they'd taken the line, "our employees are not racist, they did nothing wrong and we stand by them", they'd probably be out of business by now. Because, in this country, as a practical matter, accusations of racism are never a mistake.

Case in point:
uke2se is still trying to figure out a way that this accusation might not be a mistake.

I'm not saying this to bait you, Foolmewunz. I'm saying this so that you can discuss it, if you want to. Which I'm thinking you don't. And that's okay, too. All I ask is that if you don't want to discuss something, you leave the thread to those that do, instead of cluttering it up with your jamming signal.

Last edited by theprestige; 4th June 2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 4th June 2018, 08:27 PM   #80
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That's why this bakery promptly fired two of their employees. That's why the reason they gave for the firing was that even though the accusation was a mistake, it wasn't really a mistake. And that's why they ultimately removed even that explanation. Because even when it's a mistake, it's not allowed to treat it as a mistake.
Maybe. Maybe not.

If they had said they are taking the claim seriously, have suspended the employees with pay while they investigate, and then shared the results of their investigation in a format of more than 280 characters, then I think they may have been good with most people. A clear statement of what happened, the evidence they used to determine this and what they plan to do in response would likely have defused the claims of racism.

The facts as laid out are not seriously being questioned and it looks like more people are mad about the overreaction than the original claim, now that the facts are laid out.

Take a deep breath and figure out what is going on before acting seems like the accepted way to deal with most PR situations. But, you also have to show people that you actually are trying to figure out what is going on. Clear communication is key and these guys failed in that regard.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events