ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags King assassination , Loyd Jowers , Martin Luther King Jr.

Old 30th March 2018, 02:20 PM   #41
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The King Family and their history of embracing crackpots is a embarrassment, really.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2018, 07:51 AM   #42
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Sadly, this occurs sometimes with high-profile deaths. IMO, it's an extension of the mindset that leads ordinary people to embrace conspiracism. In some cases, a person just can't accept that a loved one died for mundane reasons (incompetence, accident, lone nut, etc.) For another example, Gus Grissom's son is convinced that NASA murdered the Apollo 1 crew.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2018, 08:07 AM   #43
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Sadly, this occurs sometimes with high-profile deaths. IMO, it's an extension of the mindset that leads ordinary people to embrace conspiracism. In some cases, a person just can't accept that a loved one died for mundane reasons (incompetence, accident, lone nut, etc.) For another example, Gus Grissom's son is convinced that NASA murdered the Apollo 1 crew.
Yes when I was in the army and on a Division run (every unit running together) one young officer pulled off to the side of the road and collapsed. He later died.

He died from a previously unknown heart defect. His mother pursued me and about twenty others who had witnessed this for decades believing the 'government' had done him in and we were hiding the truth from her (for what reason she could never say).
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2018, 08:24 AM   #44
Thermal
Illuminator

Re: OP: we have heard about this trial (I have anyway) for years. I understood the verdict of government implication to refer to local government inaction. The media doesn't report on thus much because, as noted up thread, it is a little embarrassing to the King legacy that this even happened. Pretty sure the media does not want to present themselves as detracting from the gravity of the assassination by calling attention to this goofball litigation.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2018, 06:42 PM   #45
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The King Family and their history of embracing crackpots is a embarrassment, really.
I have to admit to be in two minds on MLK's only grandaughter's "unscripted" speech at the March For Our Lives rally in Washington, DC that started,

"My grandfather had a dream that his four little children will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character," said the youngest King. "I have a dream that enough is enough. And that this should be a gun-free world, period."
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2018, 11:07 PM   #46
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The credulity with which some people accept crazy ideas that suit their worldview is quite amazing. I know folks who still believe that J. Edgar Hoover used to show up in drag with his boyfriend at Washington DC parties.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2018, 06:14 AM   #47
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
It doesn't take the most intelligent person on the planet to realize MLK was assasinated by the CIA. He almost woke the world up from the dozey haze of ignorant denial most of you are still under.
More likely FBI, they were known to have been assassinating leaders of black resistance groups at the time.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2018, 06:19 AM   #48
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by KingMerv00 View Post
You know he pissed off a bunch of white supremacists too. Is it so unbelievable that one killed him? Why does it HAVE to be the CIA?
As if those two are as distinct as you make them out to be.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2018, 06:58 AM   #49
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
I don't know what to make out of this story. Supposedly MLK was killed by the US Government, according to a trial that took place in 1999:
The way I figure it is Jowers came forward initially to get some notoriety and figured, hey, if I talk about a conspiracy and claim James Earl Ray was a patsy, what could go wrong? I'm just following the JFK conspiracy theorist handbook.

In his case however, he added himself to the conspiracy as a go-between (to explain how he knew about the conspiracy in the first place), and the chief suspect was still alive. It all backfired when the King family took him at his word and sued him.

The moral of the story is be cautious of what you confess to get your 15 minutes of fame. You just might get more than you bargained for.

Another question the article raises is: Why didn't we hear about that trial in the media?
Who is "we"? You?

Hank

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2018, 07:06 AM   #50
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
It doesn't take the most intelligent person on the planet to realize MLK was assasinated by the CIA.
Your post says more than you realize.

Hank

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 08:53 AM   #51
manifesto
Banned

Originally Posted by HSienzant View Post
Your post says more than you realize.

Hank
So, Hank, who killed MLK?
manifesto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 09:46 AM   #52
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Originally Posted by manifesto View Post
So, Hank, who killed MLK?
Lemme guess, Teh ebil CIA???11!!!?

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 11:40 AM   #53
manifesto
Banned

Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
Lemme guess, Teh ebil CIA???11!!!?
"Bravery Is Not A Function Of Firepower."
manifesto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 11:50 AM   #54
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Okay, I get your point - but even if the Government failed to act upon some information, they still would not be responsible for the assassination, no matter how low that standard for evidence was. At least not outside the US jurisdiction, me thinks.
Pretty much, yes. The government failed to act on information they had that might have prevented 9/11.

Rice and the ignored PDB, Coleen Rowley memo

Then there was the failure to follow up on the Parkland high school shooter.

Not to derail the thread but to point out surely the government fails to act on many many serious issues.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th April 2018 at 11:52 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 06:18 PM   #55
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
More likely FBI, they were known to have been assassinating leaders of black resistance groups at the time.
Local governments led by black politicians were pretty good at killing black activists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE

MOVE is a Philadelphia-based black liberation group founded by John Africa (born Vincent Leaphart) in 1972. The group lived in a communal setting, abiding by philosophies of anarcho-primitivism [1].

The group is particularly known for two major conflicts with the Philadelphia Police Department. In 1978, a standoff resulted in the death of one police officer, injuries to several other people, and life sentences for nine members. In 1985, another confrontation ended when a police helicopter dropped a bomb on the MOVE compound, a row house in the middle of the 6200 block of Osage Avenue, causing a fire that killed eleven MOVE members, including five children, and destroyed 65 houses in the neighborhood.[2]

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 02:28 PM   #56
Allen773
Muse

False thread title is false.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 05:40 PM   #57
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

BBC's running the X-files, and season 4 episode 7 details the assassinations - The Smocking Man did all of 'em.

Case closed.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 05:44 PM   #58
Allen773
Muse

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
BBC's running the X-files, and season 4 episode 7 details the assassinations - The Smocking Man did all of 'em.

Case closed.
"Smocking?"

You're gonna have to say that again, but this time in Engl...oh.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 05:53 PM   #59
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
"Smocking?"

You're gonna have to say that again, but this time in Engl...oh.
He wore an SAS smock for camo*

*you got me good, and I won't edit my post

Old 15th May 2018, 06:08 PM   #60
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Local governments led by black politicians were pretty good at killing black activists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE

MOVE is a Philadelphia-based black liberation group founded by John Africa (born Vincent Leaphart) in 1972. The group lived in a communal setting, abiding by philosophies of anarcho-primitivism [1].

The group is particularly known for two major conflicts with the Philadelphia Police Department. In 1978, a standoff resulted in the death of one police officer, injuries to several other people, and life sentences for nine members. In 1985, another confrontation ended when a police helicopter dropped a bomb on the MOVE compound, a row house in the middle of the 6200 block of Osage Avenue, causing a fire that killed eleven MOVE members, including five children, and destroyed 65 houses in the neighborhood.[2]
Total fiasco. Yeah, something probably had to be done against MOVE, a pretty dangerous crackpot group, but dropping a freaking bomb?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 09:06 PM   #61
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Total fiasco. Yeah, something probably had to be done against MOVE, a pretty dangerous crackpot group, but dropping a freaking bomb?
The "bomb" was put together with improvised napalm and C4...words fail...in all my LE experience with pyrotechnics and explosives I've never encountered a worse example of recklessness - certain pyrotechnics have a fire risk and you need to be conscious of the risk in use but there is no justifiable LE use for napalm, improvised or otherwise.

Everyone from the Mayor on down to the idiot that put it together should have been indicted.

Old 16th May 2018, 06:17 AM   #62
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

The "bomb" was put together with improvised napalm and C4...words fail...in all my LE experience with pyrotechnics and explosives I've never encountered a worse example of recklessness - certain pyrotechnics have a fire risk and you need to be conscious of the risk in use but there is no justifiable LE use for napalm, improvised or otherwise.
It wasn't Napalm, but rather a low-speed construction/mining explosive. Not the difference mattered much since the C4 exploded first&fast and spread the low-speed explosive around, making it little better than burning napalm.

Legend has it that the bomb maker for the police was told to use the construction explosive so it could remove the bunker atop the MOVE house. He decided to add a bit of 'kick' by adding the C4.

Quote:
Everyone from the Mayor on down to the idiot that put it together should have been indicted.
No argument, there. But for the mayor it was because of the idiotic decision to let the fires burn rather than use the hose they had on the bunker earlier in the day. But the city wasn't up for indicting its first african-american mayor. Dealing with MOVE was going to be a lose-lose scenario, everyone knew, but he managed to make one of the worst possible decisions resulting in an inferno.

Then of course, the rebuilding was a fiasco and was only resolved two decades later by an ordered mandatory (paid) removal of people from the defective new houses.

Meanwhile, MOVE became lot quieter but was handled with such kid's gloves that they basically got away with at least one murder.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:07 AM   #63
carlitos
"más divertido"

He wore an SAS smock for camo*
"....like watching X-Files with no lights on ... We're dans la maison ...I hope the smocking man's in this one..."
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 07:10 PM   #64
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
It wasn't Napalm, but rather a low-speed construction/mining explosive. Not the difference mattered much since the C4 exploded first&fast and spread the low-speed explosive around, making it little better than burning napalm.

Legend has it that the bomb maker for the police was told to use the construction explosive so it could remove the bunker atop the MOVE house. He decided to add a bit of 'kick' by adding the C4.

No argument, there. But for the mayor it was because of the idiotic decision to let the fires burn rather than use the hose they had on the bunker earlier in the day. But the city wasn't up for indicting its first african-american mayor. Dealing with MOVE was going to be a lose-lose scenario, everyone knew, but he managed to make one of the worst possible decisions resulting in an inferno.

Then of course, the rebuilding was a fiasco and was only resolved two decades later by an ordered mandatory (paid) removal of people from the defective new houses.

Meanwhile, MOVE became lot quieter but was handled with such kid's gloves that they basically got away with at least one murder.
You're correct - that's what I get for going by a 32 year-pld memory.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories