ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags conspiracy theories , domestic terrorism , QAnon

Old 1st August 2019, 03:52 PM   #1
William Parcher
Suspended

FBI: Conspiracy theories are the new terror threat

Exclusive: FBI document warns conspiracy theories are a new domestic terrorism threat

Originally Posted by Yahoo News
The FBI for the first time has identified fringe conspiracy theories as a domestic terrorist threat, according to a previously unpublicized document obtained by Yahoo News. (Read the document below.)

The FBI intelligence bulletin from the bureau’s Phoenix field office, dated May 30, 2019, describes “conspiracy theory-driven domestic extremists,” as a growing threat, and notes that it is the first such report to do so. It lists a number of arrests, including some that haven’t been publicized, related to violent incidents motivated by fringe beliefs.

The document specifically mentions QAnon, a shadowy network that believes in a deep state conspiracy against President Trump, and Pizzagate, the theory that a pedophile ring including Clinton associates was being run out of the basement of a Washington, D.C., pizza restaurant (which didn’t actually have a basement).

“The FBI assesses these conspiracy theories very likely will emerge, spread, and evolve in the modern information marketplace, occasionally driving both groups and individual extremists to carry out criminal or violent acts,” the document states. It also goes on to say the FBI believes conspiracy theory-driven extremists are likely to increase during the 2020 presidential election cycle.

The FBI said another factor driving the intensity of this threat is “the uncovering of real conspiracies or cover-ups involving illegal, harmful, or unconstitutional activities by government officials or leading political figures.” The FBI does not specify which political leaders or which cover-ups it was referring to.

President Trump is mentioned by name briefly in the latest FBI document, which notes that the origins of QAnon is the conspiratorial belief that “Q,” allegedly a government official, “posts classified information online to reveal a covert effort, led by President Trump, to dismantle a conspiracy involving ‘deep state’ actors and global elites allegedly engaged in an international child sex trafficking ring.”

This recent intelligence bulletin comes as the FBI is facing pressure to explain who it considers an extremist, and how the government prosecutes domestic terrorists. In recent weeks the FBI director has addressed domestic terrorism multiple times but did not publicly mention this new conspiracy theorist threat.

The FBI is already under fire for its approach to domestic extremism. In a contentious hearing last week before the Senate Judiciary Committee, FBI Director Christopher Wray faced criticism from Democrats who said the bureau was not focusing enough on white supremacist violence. “The term ‘white supremacist,’ ‘white nationalist’ is not included in your statement to the committee when you talk about threats to America,” Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., said. “There is a reference to racism, which I think probably was meant to include that, but nothing more specific.”...
https://news.yahoo.com/fbi-documents...160000507.html
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 04:06 PM   #2
Cain
Straussian

Alt: Headline: Deep State Ramps Up Protection of Child Molesters
Old 1st August 2019, 04:17 PM   #3
Venom
Illuminator

Always believed conspiracy theory peddling to be dangerous as ****.

Reason why I joined the forums.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Always believed conspiracy theory peddling to be dangerous as ****.

Reason why I joined the forums.
It may be dangerous, but for ***** sake, it’s not terrorism.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 04:28 PM   #5
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The Term “Conspiracy Theory” — an Invention of the CIA

Originally Posted by Rev. Douglas Wilson
Having read JFK and the Unspeakable several years ago, I’ve been thinking about assassinations for quite a while and I’ve seen how “conspiracy theory” is used to shut off debate, to signal that we’re entering “the unspeakable” zone. So I began to wonder if the use of the term Conspiracy Theory might be a conspiracy itself.

So I went exploring, and surprise surprise, there is a 1967 CIA memo that puts forward a great many of the commonly heard rebuttals to the Warren Commission Report. The CIA owned over 250 media outlets in the 1960s, spent close to a billion dollars (in today’s dollars) spreading information, and had people doing its bidding in every major city in the world, so it is not surprising that they were able to disseminate this idea.

And the issue is contemporary, too, not just historical. Cass Sunstein is a powerful Obama Administration insider whose new book, Conspiracy Theories and Other Dangerous Ideas, is a sophisticated apology for the established order.

The last of this series of articles is the CIA 1967 memo itself. [...]
Old 1st August 2019, 04:35 PM   #6
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Using violence and threats to try and change the political position of other people?

I'd say that shooting up a pizzeria in the belief that it was housing a pedophile ring would be pretty close to that.

The issue isn't that it's not terrorism, it's that since 9/11 some people have tried to redefine what terrorism means.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 05:01 PM   #7
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Using violence and threats to try and change the political position of other people?
That isn't a conspiracy theory.

Quote:
I'd say that shooting up a pizzeria in the belief that it was housing a pedophile ring would be pretty close to that.
No, it isn't. It's simply a violent delusion. He thought he was stopping actual pedophilia, not changing people's political opinions.

And even if you find an example of actual terrorism inspired by a conspiracy theory, that still doesn't make conspiracy theories themselves terrorism. We don't call Islam terrorism, even though it absolutely inspires a lot of terrorism.

Quote:
The issue isn't that it's not terrorism, it's that since 9/11 some people have tried to redefine what terrorism means.
Like what you just did?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 05:12 PM   #8
ArchSas
Critical Thinker

And even if you find an example of actual terrorism inspired by a conspiracy theory, that still doesn't make conspiracy theories themselves terrorism.
Which is why the bulletin doesn't say that merely spreading conspiracy theories or believing in them is an act of terrorism. It specifically "describes 'conspiracy theory-driven domestic extremists,' as a growing threat," which is nothing more than acknowledging the reality that conspiracy theories are increasingly being used to radicalize people and push them commit acts of terrorism.

I agree that something like the Pizzagate shooter doesn't count as terrorism, but something like the MAGAbomber, which was driven by belief in a conspiracy theory, absolutely does; the bulletin is just warning about how that's becoming more of a problem. Is that something you take issue with?
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 06:56 PM   #9
Venom
Illuminator

A lot of domestic terrorists tend to be conspiracy theorists of some sort.

They're just keeping an eye on them. They're not going to start rounding up conspiracy pushers.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 07:14 PM   #10
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

I've had a few friends who were deep into conspiracy theories, and I always told them that if they really believe a shadowy organization is controlling nations, causing wars, dropping poison on us through chem trails and making your electric bill increase, why aren't you doing something? Why aren't you taking action? Why are conspiracy theorists just posting all this on the internet instead of doing something? If what you believe is true, these are truly evil and despicable people, and surely waging war against them would be just?

I've been lurking in groups where conspiracy theories flourish on Facebook for some time now, and anger and talk of action and violence is increasing. They're naming specific groups and politicians, on both sides of the political spectrum (usually the guys in charge at the time of writing), who are branded as members of international cabals of globalists, traitors and enemies of the people.

The terrorist Anders Breivik was a believer in a popular conspiracy theory, that there is a plan to destroy Europe through mass migration from Islamic countries - the so called Eurabia conspiracy theory. In the Norwegian version of the theory, it's the Labour Party who is behind this plan, betraying the country by importing hordes of Muslim fanatics to destroy the native population.

That's why his target was Labour members and politicians. That's why he killed 77 people. Because he believed in a conspiracy theory.

So don't come here and say conspiracy theories aren't dangerous. They have the potential to radicalize a lot of people into taking action.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 08:03 PM   #11
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
I agree that something like the Pizzagate shooter doesn't count as terrorism, but something like the MAGAbomber, which was driven by belief in a conspiracy theory, absolutely does; the bulletin is just warning about how that's becoming more of a problem.
Two other infamous examples would be the recent synagogue massacres in Poway and Pittsburgh, which were both committed by white nationalists who professed motivation by belief in conspiracy theories involving liberals and Jews. These incidents also very much "count" as incidents of domestic terrorism. The idiotic "white replacement" conspiracy theory in particular motivates a lot of violent white nationalists.

Last edited by Checkmite; 1st August 2019 at 08:04 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 10:12 PM   #12
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
A lot of domestic terrorists tend to be conspiracy theorists of some sort.
I wouldn't say "a lot", I would say "most"

The significant majority of domestic terrorists in the USA will be white supremacists, who almost without exception, believe in the "white genocide conspiracy theory"

Examples
Dylan Roof
Timothy McVeigh
Robert Bowers
John T. Earnest
Christopher Paul Hasson

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:54 AM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I was going to say that these mad Qanon type conspiracy theories are the modern Protocols of the Elders of Zion, except the ole Protocols still haven't gone away. They're actually merged into some of the new conspiracy theories. New day, same old crap.
Old 2nd August 2019, 07:51 AM   #14
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
BIG SNIP Why aren't you taking action? ANOTHER BIG SNIP
Also, why aren't they doing something to shut your friend up? Surely, they would not want the word to get out, that they are up to nefarious stuff.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:00 AM   #15
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by The Common Potato View Post
Also, why aren't they doing something to shut your friend up? Surely, they would not want the word to get out, that they are up to nefarious stuff.
Ah, there's an easy answer to that. They are doing something. They are discrediting them by making them look like ridiculous idiots. It's the shadowy cabal's reason why we laugh at them and call their theories idiotic.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:06 AM   #16
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Ah, there's an easy answer to that. They are doing something. They are discrediting them by making them look like ridiculous idiots. It's the shadowy cabal's reason why we laugh at them and call their theories idiotic.
******* comedians. They're all government shills!

The Illuminati comes not with a knife in the dark, but a laugh in the spotlight!
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:28 AM   #17
Armitage72
Illuminator

On a smaller scale, there have been people like Richard McCaslin, who launched a heavily armed invasion of The Bohemian Grove in 2002 because Alex Jones had convinced him that it was the site of Satanic rituals. Fortunately, he did it in the middle of the night and nobody was there.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:50 PM   #18
Checkmite

The funniest thing about Jones and the Bohemian Grove is that you can watch Jones' own "secret video" of the bonfire ceremony and there's just so self-evidently nothing satanic whatsoever about the proceedings. It may have a unique plot, but it is barely distinguishable in form or function from the fakeloric campfire ceremonies so common at children's summer camps.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 04:43 PM   #19
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

That isn't a conspiracy theory.
I never said it was, it is however the definition of Terrorism.

Quote:
No, it isn't. It's simply a violent delusion. He thought he was stopping actual pedophilia, not changing people's political opinions.
Hence one of the reasons I said "pretty close to" and not "was."

Quote:
And even if you find an example of actual terrorism inspired by a conspiracy theory, that still doesn't make conspiracy theories themselves terrorism. We don't call Islam terrorism, even though it absolutely inspires a lot of terrorism.
The report didn't say that believing a conspiracy theory was Terrorism, rather then people were using them to justify their terrorism, just as others use Islam or Christianity, or Hinduism, or Buddhism to justify theirs.

Quote:
Like what you just did?
No I didn't. You just have a reading comprehension issue.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 05:00 PM   #20
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Anyone read the manifesto of the El Paso shooter? That dude clearly bought into a number of racist conspiracy theories including the "Great Replacement" theory and went on a shooting rampage to try and stop it.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 05:15 PM   #21
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Anyone read the manifesto of the El Paso shooter? That dude clearly bought into a number of racist conspiracy theories including the "Great Replacement" theory and went on a shooting rampage to try and stop it.
This hasn't been conclusively tied to the shooter yet.

But, it's consistent with the kind of statement that has tended to be released by American mass shooters of late. I found it especially ironic that the author felt a need to preemptively defend Trump by stressing that he was a white nationalist before Trump started campaigning for president.
Old 5th August 2019, 11:11 AM   #22
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like, to the FBI, Conspiracy Theory <---> Fake News.
Old 5th August 2019, 11:24 AM   #23
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
This hasn't been conclusively tied to the shooter yet.

But, it's consistent with the kind of statement that has tended to be released by American mass shooters of late. I found it especially ironic that the author felt a need to preemptively defend Trump by stressing that he was a white nationalist before Trump started campaigning for president.
"I was a neo-Nazi before it was cool!"
Old 5th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #24
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The funniest thing about Jones and the Bohemian Grove is that you can watch Jones' own "secret video" of the bonfire ceremony and there's just so self-evidently nothing satanic whatsoever about the proceedings. It may have a unique plot, but it is barely distinguishable in form or function from the fakeloric campfire ceremonies so common at children's summer camps.
Indeed, the other KKK were far more occult focussed.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #25
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

Or say centuries of antisemitic conspiracy theories justifying acts of terror and genocide. But hey that isn't really terrorism, shooting up a synagogue is bad but not terrorism bad.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 11:35 AM   #26
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I wouldn't say "a lot", I would say "most"

The significant majority of domestic terrorists in the USA will be white supremacists, who almost without exception, believe in the "white genocide conspiracy theory"

Examples
Dylan Roof
Timothy McVeigh
Robert Bowers
John T. Earnest
Christopher Paul Hasson
Does Donald Trump getting facts from @whitegenocideTM count on that list or not?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events