ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:48 PM   #1
Paul2
Philosopher

Machine-gun bass

I could have sworn that the term "machine-gun bass" has been used to refer to a electric bassist playing the same note, often a high one, repeatedly and quickly. The term was applied, presumably, because this technique has some vague imitation of bullets coming rapidly out of a machine gun.*

However, Googling "machine gun bass" turns up nothing apropos. I am nonplussed and would dearly like to return to the state of being plussed. Is anyone else familiar with this term?

One example is from "Paperback Writer" by the Beatles at 1:49 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYvkICbTZIQ.

*While the analogy with a machine gun is a stretch, I admit that I've heard bassists play the electric bass as if it were an instrument of war.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2020, 03:09 PM   #2
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Top result for me from a Google Video search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrI7cBTZli0

Searching "machine gun bass playing" gets a few more results

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 3rd May 2020 at 03:11 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2020, 03:38 PM   #3
Paul2
Philosopher

Duh, shoulda YouTubed it!

But that video link shows two notes alternating, and I always heard that machine gun bass is just a single note. Hmmmmmm.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 08:14 AM   #4
Wudang
BOFH

Google "machine gun bass guitar" for your RDA of WTF.
Old 5th May 2020, 08:25 AM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The thread title sounds like an extremely inefficient method of fishing.
Old 5th May 2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Nice one!

But I still can't get confirmation of the meaning I've long assumed for this technique.

Am I dreaming?

Old 5th May 2020, 10:34 AM   #7
Myriad
Hyperthetical

It's a clear enough usage, whether it's "standard" or not. It's the kind of phrase a critic might make up ad hoc to describe a band's sound or a particular song.

(I once read a story online in which a guy was "literally machine-gunned" by an approving crowd for an impressive demonstration of diving at a pool. As no injury or any other plot complication resulted, either the crowd were very poor shots or the phrase was meant to describe applause. The story had been translated from another language. Possibly from one in which words literally translatable as machine-gunned are also an idiomatic expression for enthusiastic clapping. In which case, the translator meant "not at all literally" but forgot how words work, or something.)
Old 5th May 2020, 10:38 AM   #8
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I took the thread title as an imperative. Which in hindsight is rather regrettable. Also, I'm not very experienced at identifying fish. My wife saw the result and said, "holey mackerel!"
Old 5th May 2020, 11:38 AM   #9
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
It's a clear enough usage, whether it's "standard" or not. It's the kind of phrase a critic might make up ad hoc to describe a band's sound or a particular song.

(I once read a story online in which a guy was "literally machine-gunned" by an approving crowd for an impressive demonstration of diving at a pool. As no injury or any other plot complication resulted, either the crowd were very poor shots or the phrase was meant to describe applause. The story had been translated from another language. Possibly from one in which words literally translatable as machine-gunned are also an idiomatic expression for enthusiastic clapping. In which case, the translator meant "not at all literally" but forgot how words work, or something.)
Yeah, maybe I heard or read it once and it stuck with me, or I mistakenly thought that it was in common usage.

Old 5th May 2020, 05:06 PM   #10
Wudang
BOFH

I believe I recognised it as well but no idea where from.
Old 5th May 2020, 06:41 PM   #11
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Duh, shoulda YouTubed it!

But that video link shows two notes alternating, and I always heard that machine gun bass is just a single note. Hmmmmmm.
I play funky bass with my right hand thumb and have a thick callous on my thumb's outer ridge. This includes playing fast octaves. I don't think you can switch that quickly from thumb to pinkies that quickly and also the changing from "slapping" low note with your thumb, to pressing for high octave notes would allow for a consistent tone and volume between low and high notes even with a compressor. (Unless you are lifting the higher string )

However, whatever works for a particular song.....works.

I have not heard the expression of a technique called machine gun bass
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 08:27 PM   #12
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

..and for a more efficient method, try dynamite bass

https://youtu.be/dOXqUh2Blts?t=72

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts