ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th March 2020, 12:36 AM   #1
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Remembering Johnny Thompson

Thinking about Johnny Thompson today, the Great Tomsoni, on the anniversary of his death, and sharing a photo of the Tomsoni button given out at his memorial service.

There doesn't seem to be much going on here within the Conjuror's Corner, but knowing those who practice the magical arts, it's hard to imagine fellows of this subforum not appreciating taking a moment to remember Johnny. He was one of the those men you would call a true gentleman, one who made you feel like you were better just by being around him (unless of course, you were focusing solely on magic, in which case, you might have felt like a better person, but maybe not as good of a magician as you would wish to have been in light of his brilliance). He was warm, and funny, and focused on you when you were with him. He was a gem.

Though I'm not a magician, he was my fellow Aristocrat, and when we would see each other through the years, we would always share a laugh about the night we met - the night he filmed his Aristocrats piece. I wish that I had stories to share of his care for the craft, at his eye for the art, but that wasn't how our friendship was; I was a fan of the man but not a student of his specialty, and therefore without the deep appreciative admiration of a fellow practitioner. I thought though, that perhaps here could be a place for anyone who loves magic to share their memories of him, his act, and his influence. Perhaps? Please do, if you can.

Magically yours,
Moe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnny.jpg (36.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 10th March 2020, 12:51 AM   #2
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Aristocrat?
Old 10th March 2020, 01:32 PM   #3
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Aristocrat?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Aristocrats_(film)

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 03:19 PM   #4
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

For your laughs, from 1977 with Pam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwnFFJN2ZY0
Old 10th March 2020, 04:45 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Last paren is outside the link. Fixed above.

That video was hilarious. I'll have to watch some more.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:43 PM   #6
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Last paren is outside the link. Fixed above.

That video was hilarious. I'll have to watch some more.
Thank you for your help! I'd wondered why I hadn't seen the usual "I agree" box to click through to the video.

So glad to have shared something that made you laugh. They sure had a great shtick, didn't they? Johnny was so talented, but it's impossible to imagine him without Pam. From my understanding, she pioneered the "blonde bimbo" assistant role. The knowing looks, the eye expressions between them! It's funny, and unexpected.

I deeply regret not getting to see them perform. When I lived in Vegas and Lance was at the Monte Carlo, he had an intermission act, and they did occasional performances when Goudeau wasn't around as the regular performer. I'm so sorry I didn't pin down their show dates and take in their act in person. Thank goodness though for youtube for having videos of their work, and the privacy to howl with laughter at the Great Tomsoni in your sweat pants at home!
Old 13th May 2020, 11:42 PM   #7
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good morning. His appearance on P&T's BS was hysterical.
John Kardel

Last edited by JPK; 13th May 2020 at 11:46 PM.
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 10:41 PM   #8
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good morning. His appearance on P&T's BS was hysterical.
Was that the "Combover" appearance where he shows how he makes his hair work? That was terrific. And so damned endearing. His hair always looked great - I never knew what was actually under there!
Old 19th May 2020, 08:59 PM   #9
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Originally Posted by MoeFaux View Post
I never knew what was actually under there!
Pigeons.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner