ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th May 2020, 10:17 AM   #201
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Premise -- everything has a beginning and an end.
Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
A wiener sausage has two ends. Now what?
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
How do you know it doesn't have two beginnings?
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Because at tight times like this, it is hard to make ends meat.

You guys owe me a new cup of coffee.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 10:26 AM   #202
Olmstead
Scholar

God didn't begin to exist because god is magic.

In fact, every argument for god essentially boils down to "because god is magic".
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 12:02 PM   #203
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Are not exchanges like this entire point of this forum?
Old 18th May 2020, 01:13 PM   #204
LarryS
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I would also question the first premise. There's no reason to suppose everything is contingent other than as a reductio ad deum argument, so in effect, again, the whole line of reasoning begs the question.

Dave
Can't prove a negative, one can't prove a non contigent thing or being doesn't exist. Someone who opposes or questions the claim would have to produce a thing or being that is non contigent.
LarryS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 01:51 PM   #205
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
Can't prove a negative, one can't prove a non contigent thing or being doesn't exist.
Quite. So, as a premise of the argument for god, it can't be proven or demonstrated from observation. Hence the argument fails.

Someone who opposes or questions the claim would have to produce a thing or being that is non contigent.
No, that's a classic reversal of the burden of proof. If a theologian makes the claim that there is no non-contingent thing or being, the burden of proof is on him to support that claim - and, as you point out, that's impossible.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 04:39 PM   #206
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 07:33 AM   #207
LarryS
Graduate Poster

Quite. So, as a premise of the argument for god, it can't be proven or demonstrated from observation. Hence the argument fails.

No, that's a classic reversal of the burden of proof. If a theologian makes the claim that there is no non-contingent thing or being, the burden of proof is on him to support that claim - and, as you point out, that's impossible.

Dave

Actually the argument begins with an observation: The universe is an ensemble of contingent things and beings . . . and concludes that God as non contigent being is a logical / factual necessity - does not claim there is evidence of a non contigent being. By definition there can't be evidence of a non contigent being or thing (for example a non contigent being could not exist in time and space for then the Being is contigent upon time and space).
IOW, requesting evidence of a non contigent thing or being makes no sense.
LarryS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 02:34 AM   #208
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Actually the argument begins with an observation: The universe is an ensemble of contingent things and beings . . .
Isn't that a definition?
Old 20th May 2020, 06:55 AM   #209
LarryS
Graduate Poster

How about a definition based on observation?
Old 20th May 2020, 11:34 AM   #210
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Actually the argument begins with an observation: The universe is an ensemble of contingent things and beings . . . and concludes that God as non contigent being is a logical / factual necessity - does not claim there is evidence of a non contigent being. By definition there can't be evidence of a non contigent being or thing (for example a non contigent being could not exist in time and space for then the Being is contigent upon time and space).
Nor does claiming it is necessary. There are no logical grounds for such a stupid claim.

Disagree? The feel free to demonstrate the logical necessity of a non-contingent being. I know you wont because nobody ever has. And I very much doubt you will buck the trend.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 11:36 AM   #211
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

A definition based on observation is tentative.

Very much so if the object of observation is something of which we can only observe a small fraction.

Hans
Old 20th May 2020, 11:53 AM   #212
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Ya don't think we might be being trolled by any chance?

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 11:56 AM   #213
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Ya don't think we might be being trolled by any chance?
Quite likely.
Old 20th May 2020, 12:46 PM   #214
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

To rephrase your argument:

The universe consists of real things. God is not a real thing. Therefore there cannot be evidence of God. Requesting evidence of God makes no sense.

I agree. Boy I love philosophy!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 02:38 PM   #215
LarryS
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
A definition based on observation is tentative.

Very much so if the object of observation is something of which we can only observe a small fraction.

Hans
All definitions except the abstract mathematical are based on observation . . . ie definition of an electron, apple, elephant, etc.
Old 20th May 2020, 02:59 PM   #216
LarryS
Graduate Poster

Nor does claiming it is necessary. There are no logical grounds for such a stupid claim.

Disagree? The feel free to demonstrate the logical necessity of a non-contingent being. I know you wont because nobody ever has. And I very much doubt you will buck the trend.
We all agree there is a reality, and all evidence indicates this reality (universe) is an ensemble of contigent things and beings. ( No one has produced evidence to suggest there are any non contigent things or beings. )
The question then is: Does this reality 'sit upon' a logical necessity, that is, a non contigent brute fact (God); or, is reality an infinite regress of sequential contingencies?
Aquinas's argument was that non contigent absolute is a logical necessity.
Old 20th May 2020, 06:06 PM   #217
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

All definitions except the abstract mathematical are based on observation . . . ie definition of an electron, apple, elephant, etc.
Santa Claus?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:00 AM   #218
Wudang
BOFH

We all agree there is a reality, and all evidence indicates this reality (universe) is an ensemble of contigent things and beings. ( No one has produced evidence to suggest there are any non contigent things or beings. )
The question then is: Does this reality 'sit upon' a logical necessity, that is, a non contigent brute fact (God); or, is reality an infinite regress of sequential contingencies?
Aquinas's argument was that non contigent absolute is a logical necessity.
Assuming you mean "contingent". I see a stone. Please explain why you claim that I observe that as being a "contigent thing" rather than just a thing?
Old 21st May 2020, 01:49 AM   #219
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I would have to question including "electron" in that list. We have no instrument that would make direct observation possible. We deduce its existence based on the effects it has on its environment.
Old 21st May 2020, 02:14 AM   #220
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I would have to question including "electron" in that list. We have no instrument that would make direct observation possible. We deduce its existence based on the effects it has on its environment.
So you are claiming that there is no means to isolate a single electron and measure it's properties?

Old 21st May 2020, 03:49 AM   #221
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

So you are claiming that there is no means to isolate a single electron and measure it's properties?
Relax, we are not discussing "god particles" here.

As to whether individual electrons can be tested in isolation, you would have to ask somebody more versed in physics than me.

But that wasn't what I was posting about. We have no way to observe individual electrons directly and that makes them different to apples and elephants.
Old 21st May 2020, 03:51 AM   #222
steenkh
Philosopher

Strictly speaking, everything is deduced through its effect on its environment. Our senses are making this deduction.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 03:53 AM   #223
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

But that wasn't what I was posting about. We have no way to observe individual electrons directly and that makes them different to apples and elephants.
Not really. It takes a bit of work, but I believe that with enough time to acclimatize to darkness it's possible to see the scintillation produced by a high energy electron in the lens of the eye.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 04:23 AM   #224
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Not really. It takes a bit of work, but I believe that with enough time to acclimatize to darkness it's possible to see the scintillation produced by a high energy electron in the lens of the eye.
Assuming that is true and that it applies to just one electron in isolation, we would only be seeing the "scintillation" and not the electron itself.

Why does everybody want to suddenly argue that there is no difference between an electron and an apple or an elephant?
Old 21st May 2020, 04:30 AM   #225
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

The clause "based on observation" adds nothing useful. The definition of "universe" as all entities joined by contingence (or, as I like to put it, all entitues that are able to interact directly or indirectly) is valid and understandable even if most of those entities (to a first approximation: all of them) have not been observed, and even if you doubt the reality of some or most observed entities. It also holds and makes understandable sense for other, unobserved universes.
Old 21st May 2020, 04:32 AM   #226
Dave Rogers

Assuming that is true and that it applies to just one electron in isolation, we would only be seeing the "scintillation" and not the electron itself.
That's a distinction without a difference. In either case, what we are 'seeing' is the detection of a nerve impulse caused by a single electron impinging on the body, with no additional equipment required. You're imposing an arbitrary distinction between the mechanism by which the electron is converted to a nerve impulse and the mechanism by which the outline of an apple is converted to a nerve impulse, yet one which I presume doesn't apply to the equally great distinction between the mechanisms by which tactile and visual senses operate. If there's to be any reasonable definition of "direct observation", surely it must mean that an object can be detected by the brain via the senses without additional equipment, right?

Why does everybody want to suddenly argue that there is no difference between an electron and an apple or an elephant?
In this instance, because the claim made is at best debatable and at worst wrong, and that's what skeptical discussion is all about. There are obvious differences between all three, but "can/cannot be detected by the senses without an instrument that makes its observation possible" is not one of them.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 21st May 2020, 04:35 AM   #227
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Just like you never see or feel an apple, you only form awareness through interactions of the scintillations of you electrons with the scintillations of the apple's electrons.
Old 21st May 2020, 04:37 AM   #228
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

That's a distinction without a difference.
It makes all the difference to me.

You could hear a motor vehicle being driven in the street without seeing it either. That doesn't mean that this is the same as looking at an apple or an elephant. You wouldn't know the shape of the vehicle nor its colour nor the number of occupants nor many other things that direct observation would reveal to you.
Old 21st May 2020, 04:41 AM   #229
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Just like you never see or feel an apple, you only form awareness through interactions of the scintillations of your electrons with the scintillations of the apple's electrons and the interactions of photons scattered from the apple with your retinas.
FTFY; scintillation, the emission of light when ionizing radiation passes through a material, is a different process to the electrical interactions that are generally simplified as contact between materials. But, yes, if you want to play the "that's an indirect means" card, then everything is an indirect means.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 21st May 2020, 04:42 AM   #230
Dave Rogers

It makes all the difference to me.

You could hear a motor vehicle being driven in the street without seeing it either. That doesn't mean that this is the same as looking at an apple or an elephant. You wouldn't know the shape of the vehicle nor its colour nor the number of occupants nor many other things that direct observation would reveal to you.
So you're excluding all sensory inputs except visual ones from your definition of direct observation? In that case, it's impossible to observe a sound or a smell directly, so they're more like an electron than an apple or an elephant, right?

Dave

- Myriad
Old 21st May 2020, 05:32 AM   #231
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

So you're excluding all sensory inputs except visual ones from your definition of direct observation?
Of course not. You are now entering strawman territory.

You would obviously need some instrument to "see" an electron (just like you would for bacteria). Since no such instrument exists, you can only observe an electron by its impact on the environment and that includes light emission as it travels at speed.
Old 21st May 2020, 05:46 AM   #232
Dave Rogers

Of course not. You are now entering strawman territory.

You would obviously need some instrument to "see" an electron (just like you would for bacteria). Since no such instrument exists, you can only observe an electron by its impact on the environment and that includes light emission as it travels at speed.
It isn't its impact on the environment you're detecting. What you're detecting in the instance I cited is its impact on the body of the observer. No additional equipment or interpretation is necessary; you are, in fact, directly observing an electron. What you seem to be doing is imposing arbitrary standards of what specific physical interactions are required between the observed object and the body of the observer; in effect, you're redefining the word "observe" to try to support your argument. That's called the No True Scotsman argument.

Dave

ETA: And by the way, you're also using your conclusion that an electron can't be seen without an instrument as the basis of your argument that an electron can't be seen without an instrument. That's a circular argument.

- Myriad

Last edited by Dave Rogers; 21st May 2020 at 05:55 AM.
Old 21st May 2020, 06:17 AM   #233
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

This is getting beyond ridiculous! Anybody can see what I am talking about but if you would rather look like a fool than agree with me then so be it.
Old 21st May 2020, 06:22 AM   #234
Dave Rogers

This is getting beyond ridiculous! Anybody can see what I am talking about but if you would rather look like a fool than agree with me then so be it.
I'm sure everybody can see who's presented new evidence and who's sticking to the original argument it contradicts. Some people would just say "cool, I never knew that."

Dave

- Myriad
Old 21st May 2020, 01:18 PM   #235
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

This is getting beyond ridiculous! Anybody can see what I am talking about ...
Yes. And also that you invoke fallacious arguments.
Old 21st May 2020, 01:22 PM   #236
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by devhdb View Post
dvhdb, when are you going to show us how to hack atheism?

Also, what does the hack do? Jailbreak? Overclock? Infinite health? Start with the BFG?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:35 PM   #237
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
dvhdb, when are you going to show us how to hack atheism?

Also, what does the hack do? Jailbreak? Overclock? Infinite health? Start with the BFG?
I presume it attempts to chop up atheism into the smallest possible components of consciousness.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy