ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Reply
Old 31st May 2020, 01:18 AM   #681
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,544
It is a mystery. There are clusters. But there will be no investigation into possible cell towers as a factor. Why Because THEY say so. And so do many others. It will be dismissed as a conspiracy theory. Nice weapon for a company to use. The weapon used in the case of the radium girls was that they had syphilis.

Why not try to dismiss it scientifically? They say it is a waste of money that will only fuel the CT. But they may be worried it might be true.


https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...063453208.html
By early May, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Connecticut reported clusters of children with PMIS and three deaths. Dr Randolph already knows there are more.

https://www.who.int/news-room/commen...-with-covid-19
Recently, however, reports from Europe and North America have described clusters of children and adolescents requiring admission to intensive care units with a multisystem inflammatory condition with some features similar to those of Kawasaki disease and toxic shock syndrome. Case reports and small series have described a presentation of acute illness accompanied by a hyperinflammatory syndrome, leading to multiorgan failure and shock.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2020, 01:30 AM   #682
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,267
There is nothing stopping anybody who thinks cell towers might be a factor in the sudden increase in the incidence of Kawasaki disease from doing a study to investigate that possibility. Obviously those who don't see any good reason for thinking that (because there really isn't one) are going to spend their time and money undertaking such a study.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2020, 02:35 AM   #683
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 32,620
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
It is a mystery. There are clusters.

There are always clusters. It’s a combination of the way random patterns appear and the human predilection for seeing patterns. It doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a specific cause or, indeed, a mystery.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2020, 04:19 AM   #684
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,566
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
It is a mystery. There are clusters.
Clusters of everything happen all on their lonesome. Sometimes randomly, sometimes with a cause. So what?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
But there will be no investigation into possible cell towers as a factor. Why Because THEY say so. And so do many others.
THEY? Who exactly are THEY? And where did THEY say this?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
It will be dismissed as a conspiracy theory. Nice weapon for a company to use. The weapon used in the case of the radium girls was that they had syphilis.
Because it is a CT. And the radium girls won their case in court.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Why not try to dismiss it scientifically? They say it is a waste of money that will only fuel the CT. But they may be worried it might be true.
Again with the mysterious "THEY".


Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...063453208.html
By early May, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Connecticut reported clusters of children with PMIS and three deaths. Dr Randolph already knows there are more.

https://www.who.int/news-room/commen...-with-covid-19
Recently, however, reports from Europe and North America have described clusters of children and adolescents requiring admission to intensive care units with a multisystem inflammatory condition with some features similar to those of Kawasaki disease and toxic shock syndrome. Case reports and small series have described a presentation of acute illness accompanied by a hyperinflammatory syndrome, leading to multiorgan failure and shock.
Neither of which have anything to do with the topic at hand.

Next thing you will be doing is blaming clusters of flowers on EM radiation, because they are clustered.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2020, 05:51 AM   #685
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,267
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
There are always clusters. It’s a combination of the way random patterns appear and the human predilection for seeing patterns. It doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a specific cause or, indeed, a mystery.
The real mystery is why so many people think hard working, underfunded scientists have nothing better to do than investigate every crackpot idea that's posted on the internet. "It's obvious Kawasaki disease is caused by ice cream, just look at those clusters! No I'm not prepared to do a simple test, let alone fund a study, to prove myself right, but the fact THEY won't spend their own time and money proving me wrong shows THEY must be afraid I'm right! THEY must be in the pay of the ice cream companies, look how those companies are trying to stop me spreading the wild idea I pulled out of my arse just because a few guys driving ice cream vans were attacked and an ice cream factory was burned down! I demand scientists put their attempts to find a vaccine for Covid19 on hold and use their resources to investigate my claims instead!".
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 31st May 2020 at 05:57 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2020, 07:43 AM   #686
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 32,620
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The real mystery is why so many people think hard working, underfunded scientists have nothing better to do than investigate every crackpot idea that's posted on the internet. "It's obvious Kawasaki disease is caused by ice cream, just look at those clusters! No I'm not prepared to do a simple test, let alone fund a study, to prove myself right, but the fact THEY won't spend their own time and money proving me wrong shows THEY must be afraid I'm right! THEY must be in the pay of the ice cream companies, look how those companies are trying to stop me spreading the wild idea I pulled out of my arse just because a few guys driving ice cream vans were attacked and an ice cream factory was burned down! I demand scientists put their attempts to find a vaccine for Covid19 on hold and use their resources to investigate my claims instead!".

https://xkcd.com/882/
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2020, 07:53 AM   #687
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,566
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The real mystery is why so many people think hard working, underfunded scientists have nothing better to do than investigate every crackpot idea that's posted on the internet. "It's obvious Kawasaki disease is caused by ice cream, just look at those clusters! No I'm not prepared to do a simple test, let alone fund a study, to prove myself right, but the fact THEY won't spend their own time and money proving me wrong shows THEY must be afraid I'm right! THEY must be in the pay of the ice cream companies, look how those companies are trying to stop me spreading the wild idea I pulled out of my arse just because a few guys driving ice cream vans were attacked and an ice cream factory was burned down! I demand scientists put their attempts to find a vaccine for Covid19 on hold and use their resources to investigate my claims instead!".
Quite.

Actual research happens when there is a good reason to invest the time and effort required.

"God told me so" is not a reason. It isn't even reason.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2020, 08:02 AM   #688
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,566
You know, I am scheduled for an informal Zoom video conference this evening with 3 PhD's.

Friends for my long distant schooldays. Covid 19 has changed the venue from the pub to the intertubes.

Just to see what happens (assuming we are not cancelled for some reason), I think I will wheel out these CT ideas and see what is the response.

I suspect I can predict that response.

Of course it will have no impact on PS since he is convinced that he knows different and better than any PhD in all subjects, anywhere and everywhere.

Worth it just to see what they say.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2020, 11:11 PM   #689
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,544
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The real mystery is why so many people think hard working, underfunded scientists have nothing better to do than investigate every crackpot idea that's posted on the internet. "It's obvious Kawasaki disease is caused by ice cream, just look at those clusters! No I'm not prepared to do a simple test, let alone fund a study, to prove myself right, but the fact THEY won't spend their own time and money proving me wrong shows THEY must be afraid I'm right! THEY must be in the pay of the ice cream companies, look how those companies are trying to stop me spreading the wild idea I pulled out of my arse just because a few guys driving ice cream vans were attacked and an ice cream factory was burned down! I demand scientists put their attempts to find a vaccine for Covid19 on hold and use their resources to investigate my claims instead!".

Typical. Instead of saying that it might be possible to extrapolate the damage of the blood brain barrier to damage of other blood vessels, you pick a straw-man like ice-cream.

You make ridiculous statements that parody my extrapolation instead of addressing the argument.

THEY are always the powers that decide how money is spent and which studies can go ahead. They use your logic. Too expensive - too ridiculous.

Remember the leaded petrol/gasoline controversy? What did THEY say? The lead found in the ocean and in the air was "natural" lead that had always been there. One man disagreed. It took him 11 years before the government finally had to accept he was right. 11 years of damage to the US environment. And decades of damage to the planet as the leaded product was sold around the world.

I really despair for the world.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2020, 11:25 PM   #690
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,544
The last few days I have been in lot of pain - agony actually. I am up to 2 pain tablets a day to get relief. This started with me going to the factory and to the old house and to shops. During the five weeks of lock-down where I stayed home I was improving. Gradually and each day. I even had a few days of feeling fantastic - and without medication.

The lesson is that the damage is accumulative. It slowly builds up. And it takes days or weeks to mend.

This is the problem with testing people who are genuinely EHS. I believe that most cannot "feel" the turn-on but they do start to get sick with daily doses. The genuine ones are the ones that give up. Do you think that the industry funded scientists have not figured this out? They can then give a report that "demonstrates" a lack of sensitivity to Emf because they are left with the fraudsters who are there to be paid their fee or the ones who are not EHS but mistakenly think they are.

So I have to decide. Do I subject myself to exposure on a daily basis for 10 days? Even though only five days have the WiFi on? Do I want to feel terrible and take another two weeks to recover?

What do I achieve? I feel like a person being told to prove my belief that a gun is loaded by putting it to my head and pulling the trigger. Oh, he was right - it was loaded! So sad - too bad. Let us move on.

So tell me - what do I achieve? I already know it affects me. I can see it also affect my wife although it is less obvious. I see and know the symptoms.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 12:09 AM   #691
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,267
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
So tell me - what do I achieve?
Knowledge.

Quote:
I already know it affects me. I can see it also affect my wife although it is less obvious. I see and know the symptoms.
You do not know any of that until you have done a blind test.

DowserDon knew that dowsing worked. Every JREF MDC applicant knew they had the paranormal ability they claimed to have. Yet none of them was able to pass a simple blind test designed to discover if they were, in fact, inadvertently fooling themselves. Your certainty is as unjustified as theirs was.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 12:10 AM   #692
RedStapler
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 376
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
The last few days I have been in lot of pain - agony actually. I am up to 2 pain tablets a day to get relief. This started with me going to the factory and to the old house and to shops. During the five weeks of lock-down where I stayed home I was improving. Gradually and each day. I even had a few days of feeling fantastic - and without medication.

The lesson is that the damage is accumulative. It slowly builds up. And it takes days or weeks to mend.

This is the problem with testing people who are genuinely EHS. I believe that most cannot "feel" the turn-on but they do start to get sick with daily doses. The genuine ones are the ones that give up. Do you think that the industry funded scientists have not figured this out? They can then give a report that "demonstrates" a lack of sensitivity to Emf because they are left with the fraudsters who are there to be paid their fee or the ones who are not EHS but mistakenly think they are.

So I have to decide. Do I subject myself to exposure on a daily basis for 10 days? Even though only five days have the WiFi on? Do I want to feel terrible and take another two weeks to recover?

What do I achieve? I feel like a person being told to prove my belief that a gun is loaded by putting it to my head and pulling the trigger. Oh, he was right - it was loaded! So sad - too bad. Let us move on.

So tell me - what do I achieve? I already know it affects me. I can see it also affect my wife although it is less obvious. I see and know the symptoms.
Ask god. If he does not help you, you can be sure that he wants you to be in pain. And who are you to question his plans?
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 12:28 AM   #693
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,544
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Yep, propped up by a shared delusion of wealth from nothing. Half the price it was over 2 years ago, but still...

Like I said, confirmation bias. There could be many reasons for the blood pressure variation, including the stress of worrying about your blood pressure!

No, 'electrosmog' is not a catalyst of any medical problem. But your imagination might be.

What level is 'high' radiation, and how did you measure it?

Tinfoil around your leg could have other effects that are far more powerful than its ability to shield EMI (useless below 1MHz, not effective at GHz frequencies unless there are no gaps). For example it is a good reflector of IR, so could trap body heat. Muscles and joints often respond well to warmth.

Confirmation bias again. The emf didn't make it worse, the condition was getting worse anyway.

The problem with an observation like this is that any unrelated thing that changes is not necessarily the cause. IOW correlation does not equal causation. In this case you found the cause, and it was not what you thought. So you should reject your first hypothesis and go with what you found was the cause. Furthermore the actual cause was logical and reasonable, whereas the other one wasn't.



I feel your frustration, but as a technician with extensive experience in electronics I don't take any correlation as proof, particularly when there is no known mechanism for cause and effect. One thing I found out doing electronic fault diagnosis is that 99.9% of the time the cause is mundane - a dry joint, a broken track, a dried out capacitor - even when the fault is quite perplexing. So I start out with no preconceptions, but great skepticism - until I have proved the real cause of the problem. It's embarrassing to charge a customer for 'fixing' a fault only to have it reappear because I didn't find the root cause.

I apply the same skepticism to my health. Just because a headache came on after x or a pain when in place y, doesn't mean x or y caused it. Only when the correlation is confirmed by multiple occurrences and a likely cause is identified do I believe it.

Right now I am feeling pain in my right arm and wrist. This time I know what caused it - 3 weeks of repetitive strain potting 82,000 apple seeds. Next time, who knows? Any minor strain might set it off. But it won't be triggered by being close to a cellphone tower, because I know that the signal strength is miniscule and the effect practically unmeasurable. And since the only effect at cellphone frequencies is localized heating, it would more likely make it (insignificantly) better than worse.

I have a great record at finding faults and problems - even where others are baffled. In electronics and in health. With regard to health, I have a number of issues that were quite puzzling, even for many years. Then I would find myself in a situation where the cause was extreme and forced me to find a solution. Histoplasmosis, dust mites and arthritis in my fingers and knees. Hair loss due to demodectic mites. How to get rid of flu and colds. How to get rid of sinus infections. And so on.

Some times I first had to establish the cause. Then I tried the conventional "cures". Many of the ones supposed to be excellent were not only expensive they only worked briefly. This forced me to find my own cures which I did by extrapolation and testing until I found a solid working cure. Other times "cures" were suggested to me by others.

When I find a "cure" I try to establish how effective it is and why it works and for how long. With electrosmog, I have spent two years researching it, and also trying to find relief. Some of your suggestions have merit, and I have considered them. But there is a very definite "cure" - get away from EMFs permanently. I cannot - so I have to take mitigating measures like shielding.

My experiences have been long and extensive. The foil on my leg was a surprise. I did not realize that EMFs retarded healing and promoted damage. The foil was slightly cool and dissipated heat at first, then it had no temperature effect after 5 minutes. What also surprised me was that it made me discover that our lounge lacked the shielding. That was where the problem started.

I subsequently had problems with my right leg in high radiation at the house. All of that stopped when I wore jeans with aluminium mesh. Now that the leg has healed I do not get the pains from the radiation. I should wear the leg protection but it is a nuisance and I figure I will just limit my time exposure.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 12:32 AM   #694
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 92,402
To sum it up "I'm special".
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 12:40 AM   #695
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,267
DowserDon spent years investigating dowsing. Homeopaths and astrologers have often spent decades studying their discipline. Most MDC applicants had a lifetime of experience on which to base their belief in their ability. All shown to be mistaken by a simple blind test.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 04:07 AM   #696
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,106
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
The last few days I have been in lot of pain - agony actually. I am up to 2 pain tablets a day to get relief. This started with me going to the factory and to the old house and to shops. During the five weeks of lock-down where I stayed home I was improving. Gradually and each day. I even had a few days of feeling fantastic - and without medication.

The lesson is that the damage is accumulative. It slowly builds up. And it takes days or weeks to mend.

This is the problem with testing people who are genuinely EHS. I believe that most cannot "feel" the turn-on but they do start to get sick with daily doses. The genuine ones are the ones that give up. Do you think that the industry funded scientists have not figured this out? They can then give a report that "demonstrates" a lack of sensitivity to Emf because they are left with the fraudsters who are there to be paid their fee or the ones who are not EHS but mistakenly think they are.

So I have to decide. Do I subject myself to exposure on a daily basis for 10 days? Even though only five days have the WiFi on? Do I want to feel terrible and take another two weeks to recover?

What do I achieve? I feel like a person being told to prove my belief that a gun is loaded by putting it to my head and pulling the trigger. Oh, he was right - it was loaded! So sad - too bad. Let us move on.

So tell me - what do I achieve? I already know it affects me. I can see it also affect my wife although it is less obvious. I see and know the symptoms.
What do you achieve by posting here and arguing with people if you have no intention of doing the thing that would help you prove your case? That's what it sounds like you're saying now. Sorry if it pains you, but I don't know why you think anyone is obliged to take you seriously anymore if all you're ever going to say amounts to "I'm a genius, take my word for it!" You might achieve the profit to your ego- what does anyone else get out of it when you refuse to do any more than pontificate?
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 05:59 AM   #697
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,267
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Typical. Instead of saying that it might be possible to extrapolate the damage of the blood brain barrier to damage of other blood vessels, you pick a straw-man like ice-cream.
Typical. Instead of constructing a plausible chain of reasoning from published EMF studies to Kawasaki disease, and looking for actual evidence (e.g. correlations) to support your hypothesis that the two are linked, you attack an accurate (though admittedly harsh) analogy of your wild conspiracy theory.

Quote:
You make ridiculous statements that parody my extrapolation instead of addressing the argument.
The parody does address your argument, by demonstrating how insubstantial it is.

Quote:
THEY are always the powers that decide how money is spent and which studies can go ahead. They use your logic. Too expensive - too ridiculous.
I repeat: anyone can undertake a study, no one can prevent one going ahead if someone who genuinely thinks they are onto something is prepared to put their money where their mouth is. Those who propose studies for which public money will be used must make a good case that it won't be wasted. It's nobody's fault but yours that you can't do so.

Quote:
Remember the leaded petrol/gasoline controversy? What did THEY say? The lead found in the ocean and in the air was "natural" lead that had always been there. One man disagreed. It took him 11 years before the government finally had to accept he was right. 11 years of damage to the US environment. And decades of damage to the planet as the leaded product was sold around the world.
They laughed at Galileo, but they also laughed at Bozo the clown. Without evidence to support your claims, you're in the latter category. You're certainly no Clair Cameron Patterson.

Quote:
I really despair for the world.
What makes me despair for the world is people who peddle wild and dangerous conspiracy theories, despite a total lack of objective evidence to support them, because they think god wants them to.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 11:33 PM   #698
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,544
You make out that I am ONE person with a crazy theory.

In 1994 the first proof of harm study was done by a Motorola paid scientist. There are now hundreds of scientists who send letters of concern and warning.

I expected to get some skepticism about my extrapolation from mobile telephone emfs as applied to Covid. I did not expect supposedly intelligent skeptics to blindly accept the statements made by the industry that the only effect is heating - which everyone accepts as negligible.

I am here to learn. It seems most others are here to pour scorn and boost their egos by dumping on others.

Once more it seems that the test is time, The truth will eventually come out. By then, the planet may have fewer humans.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 11:36 PM   #699
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,778
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You make out that I am ONE person with a crazy theory.

In 1994 the first proof of harm study was done by a Motorola paid scientist. There are now hundreds of scientists who send letters of concern and warning.

I expected to get some skepticism about my extrapolation from mobile telephone emfs as applied to Covid. I did not expect supposedly intelligent skeptics to blindly accept the statements made by the industry that the only effect is heating - which everyone accepts as negligible.

I am here to learn. It seems most others are here to pour scorn and boost their egos by dumping on others.

Once more it seems that the test is time, The truth will eventually come out. By then, the planet may have fewer humans.
So, we should disregard the purported study by the Motorola scientist?

Or should we just blindly trust the ones that you agree with?
Not terribly sceptical of you.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 11:52 PM   #700
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,566
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You make out that I am ONE person with a crazy theory.
Sure. Wanna know why? It's because....

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
In 1994 the first proof of harm study was done by a Motorola paid scientist. There are now hundreds of scientists who send letters of concern and warning.
...it's because you have conveniently forgotten that YOU raised this little nugget before and were demolished for it. Yet here we are in the same groundhog day rodeo. It's like you are somehow unable to grok new information.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I expected to get some skepticism about my extrapolation from mobile telephone emfs as applied to Covid. I did not expect supposedly intelligent skeptics to blindly accept the statements made by the industry that the only effect is heating - which everyone accepts as negligible.
We follow the evidence, you quite clearly do not. Given that, what response would you expect? Did you perhaps think that we would all fall to our knees and exclaim "Save me, jebus"? Is that what you thought?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I am here to learn. It seems most others are here to pour scorn and boost their egos by dumping on others.
Yet here we are and it seems you have learned nothing and have no interest in learning anything, ever. Just look at Pixel42's proposed blind test. Seems a reasonable test, no. Seems if you did it, you might actually learn something, no? Seems you refuse to do it for fear you might learn something, no?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Once more it seems that the test is time,
Nope. The test is one you refuse to perform.
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
The truth will eventually come out.
Sure. Will you be capable of recognising it?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
By then, the planet may have fewer humans.
Has it ocurred to you to wonder why it might be that despite your crazy god sending covid 19 to reduce the human population, nevertheless, the human population increased throughout?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 12:12 AM   #701
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,566
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I have a great record at finding faults and problems - even where others are baffled. In electronics and in health. With regard to health, I have a number of issues that were quite puzzling, even for many years. Then I would find myself in a situation where the cause was extreme and forced me to find a solution. Histoplasmosis, dust mites and arthritis in my fingers and knees. Hair loss due to demodectic mites. How to get rid of flu and colds. How to get rid of sinus infections. And so on.
Fringe reset.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Some times I first had to establish the cause. Then I tried the conventional "cures". Many of the ones supposed to be excellent were not only expensive they only worked briefly. This forced me to find my own cures which I did by extrapolation and testing until I found a solid working cure. Other times "cures" were suggested to me by others.
Are you actually claiming that if a witch doctor told you to insert a particular frog in an unlikely orifice you would gullibly attempt it?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
When I find a "cure" I try to establish how effective it is and why it works and for how long. With electrosmog, I have spent two years researching it, and also trying to find relief. Some of your suggestions have merit, and I have considered them. But there is a very definite "cure" - get away from EMFs permanently. I cannot - so I have to take mitigating measures like shielding.
Your "shielding" does not and cannot work. We have been over this and you learned nothing.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
My experiences have been long and extensive. The foil on my leg was a surprise. I did not realize that EMFs retarded healing and promoted damage. The foil was slightly cool and dissipated heat at first, then it had no temperature effect after 5 minutes. What also surprised me was that it made me discover that our lounge lacked the shielding. That was where the problem started.
Yay. Random anecdotes. Isn't that just grand. OK, I have found that wrapping any part of the body in foil causes melanoma.

Your move.

See how easy it is to make up crap?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I subsequently had problems with my right leg in high radiation at the house. All of that stopped when I wore jeans with aluminium mesh. Now that the leg has healed I do not get the pains from the radiation. I should wear the leg protection but it is a nuisance and I figure I will just limit my time exposure.
Buy a Faraday cage. Climb in. Stay there. Forever. Seems like a good idea for the rest of us.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 12:16 AM   #702
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,566
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You make out that I am ONE person with a crazy theory.
Are you, then, not one person? You are claiming that you are a collective of some kind?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 12:26 AM   #703
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,267
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You make out that I am ONE person with a crazy theory.
You're certainly not the only one peddling this particular CT, no. The number of people prepared to subscribe to any CT, regardless of its plausibility, is truly frightening. It really does make a rational person despair for the world.

Quote:
In 1994 the first proof of harm study was done by a Motorola paid scientist. There are now hundreds of scientists who send letters of concern and warning.

I expected to get some skepticism about my extrapolation from mobile telephone emfs as applied to Covid. I did not expect supposedly intelligent skeptics to blindly accept the statements made by the industry that the only effect is heating - which everyone accepts as negligible.
EHocking is not the first poster to point out that your own willingness to blindly accept statements depends entirely on whether they support your anecdotally determined position, not on the source.

Quote:
I am here to learn. It seems most others are here to pour scorn and boost their egos by dumping on others.
I've seen no evidence you've learned a thing in all the years you've been posting here. It seems to me you're here to pour scorn and boost your ego by dumping on sceptics who have the temerity to ask you to provide evidence for the conclusions you've jumped to.

Quote:
Once more it seems that the test is time, The truth will eventually come out.
The first cell network was created in the early 1980s, so that's nearly 40 years and still no uptick in any health problems correlated with their deployment. How much longer do we need to give it, do you think?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 02:12 AM   #704
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster
 
EvilBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,264
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You make out that I am ONE person with a crazy theory.
No, there are thousands of them out there, and quite a few that are pushing the COVID-5G link. None if them, of course, have any proof. You just happen to be the only one here, though.

Quote:
In 1994 the first proof of harm study was done by a Motorola paid scientist. There are now hundreds of scientists who send letters of concern and warning.
I'm confused - so now industry is showing proof of harm, whereas a few posts ago you said they were suppressing these sort of things?

Quote:
I expected to get some skepticism about my extrapolation from mobile telephone emfs as applied to Covid. I did not expect supposedly intelligent skeptics to blindly accept the statements made by the industry that the only effect is heating - which everyone accepts as negligible.
There was no extrapolation - extrapolation implies some sort of previous relationship between RF and <whatever> to be established first. All you are doing is trying to match your personal demons to your personal ailments.

Also, corellation does not equal causation. Especially with no proof.

Quote:
I am here to learn. It seems most others are here to pour scorn and boost their egos by dumping on others.
No, you're not here to learn, you're here to complain. When I took the time to explain, in detail, how RF works over distance, and why your tinfoil is better used for cooking (although it's better to not use at all as it's bad for the environment), you just ignore it and throw a hissy fit because I called you a layman. However, you have no problem telling experts they are delusional, because they don't agree with your brand of theory.

You're not doing any of the tests suggested, because doing so will remove your martyr status, and then what do you have?

The world does not care, and frankly has larger problems to deal with, which are discussed in other, more scientific threads. OK, maybe not Trump, but you get the idea.

We do care, you know, for a while - at least until advice gets thrown out, and the pigeon appears and soils the proverbial chessboard. I, for one, love my profession, and am totally willing to explain the magic and joy I get out of it, as well as pass on knowledge about it. But that ships sails quickly.

Quote:
Once more it seems that the test is time, The truth will eventually come out. By then, the planet may have fewer humans.
You're saying fewer humans is a bad thing? Undeserving and pointless deaths aside, I think fewer humans is an excellent concept. But I'll not derail...
__________________
Flat Earth Theory:
The unfortunate result of ordering pizza to satisfy munchies after smoking way too much weed to bring you down from that hectic acid trip.
EvilBiker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 03:05 AM   #705
RedStapler
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 376
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You make out that I am ONE person with a crazy theory.

In 1994 the first proof of harm study was done by a Motorola paid scientist. There are now hundreds of scientists who send letters of concern and warning.

I expected to get some skepticism about my extrapolation from mobile telephone emfs as applied to Covid. I did not expect supposedly intelligent skeptics to blindly accept the statements made by the industry that the only effect is heating - which everyone accepts as negligible.

I am here to learn. It seems most others are here to pour scorn and boost their egos by dumping on others.

Once more it seems that the test is time, The truth will eventually come out. By then, the planet may have fewer humans.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 4th June 2020 at 03:13 AM.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 04:44 AM   #706
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,544
Amazing. People see what they want to see ( or not see). Both about God and about MT emfs.

I could answer the posts and the misrepresentations, and I could do the WiFi test. But what would I achieve? I am still waiting for an answer.

Most posters (and probably readers) are now firmly convinced they have defeated another dangerous spreader of (mis)information.

No wonder God needs to intervene. No cooperation among people on important issues - just blind followers of industry (and political) propaganda.

Go ahead, pile on the ad hominems. It will give you guys a warm fuzzy feeling to think you have defeated another deluded "believer". But it will be because I give up and not by logical argument.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 06:12 AM   #707
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,438
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Amazing. People see what they want to see ( or not see). Both about God and about MT emfs.

I could answer the posts and the misrepresentations, and I could do the WiFi test. But what would I achieve? I am still waiting for an answer.
You are not still waiting for an answer. Don't lie. I'm sure your god has rules about that.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Most posters (and probably readers) are now firmly convinced they have defeated another dangerous spreader of (mis)information.
Citations needed for your knowledge of both the motivations and the conclusions of most posters. How do you know this?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
No wonder God needs to intervene. No cooperation among people on important issues - just blind followers of industry (and political) propaganda.
Can you point to any recent intervention by your god that has improved cooperation among people? Why would it do that, if its aim is to kill those same people?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Go ahead, pile on the ad hominems. It will give you guys a warm fuzzy feeling to think you have defeated another deluded "believer". But it will be because I give up and not by logical argument.
That's quite a telling statement.
Firstly, stop trying to paint yourself as some kind of martyr. You are not a martyr, and no-one here is persecuting you.
Secondly, did you mean to admit that no logical argument would make you change your mind?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:07 AM   #708
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,162
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post

That's quite a telling statement.
Firstly, stop trying to paint yourself as some kind of martyr. You are not a martyr, and no-one here is persecuting you.
Secondly, did you mean to admit that no logical argument would make you change your mind?
Classic

At this point he either has to give up and go away, continue to berate those who don't believe his foolishness, or worst yet: repeat all his claims again...

Last edited by Hans; 2nd June 2020 at 09:08 AM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:25 AM   #709
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 92,402
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Amazing. People see what they want to see ( or not see). Both about God and about MT emfs.


...snip...


Mote and beams comes to mind.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:39 AM   #710
RedStapler
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 376
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Amazing. People see what they want to see ( or not see). Both about God and about MT emfs.
A very accurate description of your posts so far.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 10:31 AM   #711
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 32,620
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Are you, then, not one person? You are claiming that you are a collective of some kind?

“Resistance is futile!”
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 10:58 AM   #712
p0lka
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: near trees, houses and a lake.
Posts: 1,969
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post

I could answer the posts and the misrepresentations, and I could do the WiFi test. But what would I achieve? I am still waiting for an answer.
What would you achieve if you did the test?

Surely you don't really need anyone to answer that? I'm surprised you haven't done the test already just to confirm what you reckon you know.

It's really really hard to think of a reason for why you haven't?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 12:41 PM   #713
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,267
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I could do the WiFi test. But what would I achieve? I am still waiting for an answer.
I answered you in post #691.

What you achieve is that you get to find out if your hypothesis is correct.

Usually, when an investigator formulates an hypothesis, that's something they're keen to know.

The only explanation for you not wanting to know is that you're afraid you're wrong.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 11:12 PM   #714
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,544
This post is for the record. No doubt it will be nit-picked and criticized.

The last three days I have been unable to get any work done. I have run a couple of necessary errands but have either watched TV or sat or slept. Yesterday was the worst. I was dizzy and nauseous and could not function at all.

For the months before lock-down in mid-March I thought my illness with two pain tablets was due to having to visit the tower house. It was definitely a factor. Then during the first weeks of the lock-down I had three bouts of flu (unusual for me) and I moved from the main bedroom to the guest bedroom so I could use heat to heal myself.

The last two or three weeks of lock-down I was doing a lot better and was down to one pain tablet a day with a few days of feeling great. Then I had to start going to stores and to the tower house and I found I needed the head shield to stop the mild headaches.

My wife was very worried about how ill I was. I said that I would go to doctors but they never found anything wrong. I felt I was getting more sensitive to emf radiation. She asked me to check the house one more time. I got the meter out. The center of the house was about 0.8uW/sqm. It increased as I went down the passage to the main bedroom at the end of the house. It was about 2uW/sqm. Then I checked where I sleep and it was 4 to 5 uW/sqm. Maybe too much for me at this stage.

So last night I again slept in the guest bedroom. What a difference.I was back to a routine of sleeping till about 2 am and being awake for half an hour, then waking at 4:30 am for half an hour before waking at 6 am. In the main bedroom I did not move and slept from 8 pm to 7 am without waking.

There is a huge difference between yesterday and today. My conclusion: even 4 uW/sqm is too much.

My wife has been tired and stressed and has had a cough for 10 weeks. Her tinnitus is high. I will be putting up mesh screens to drop the radiation.

At such low values there is little doubt I would be able to sense the WiFi. If I do the test, then I will know. Why should I share with people who want to find reason to negate the test?
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 11:32 PM   #715
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,544
To those who blame psychosomatic.

Our two dogs got more and more depressed at the tower house. They were listless and stopped barking at passing people and dogs. When we brought them to the new house they did not bark for the first two months. It took them another two months to get back to barking at everything and anything.

The difference in them is quite stark.

Do a search for why are swedes depressed. You will find all sorts of reasons. Many are no doubt valid - but they do not consider that Emfs may be a factor. You do not need cancer to do harm.

https://bmcpsychiatry.biomedcentral....888-018-1765-0

Depression is a leading cause of years lived with disabilities (YLDs) [1, 2] and often originates early in life [3, 4]. The prevalence of adolescents treated for depression in Sweden has increased during the past two decades, and is more common among females.

...negative psychosocial factors which can cluster in persons with low social position...


There are increases in other diseases. Diseases once seen in older people are being seen in younger people. Cancer and heart attacks. And new and novel forms of cancer. One can blame modern stress but is EMF a factor?

The rate of EMF exposure and dosage is exponential as Telcos role out massive infrastructure. There is a long delay in the harm for all but the high dosage cases. Expect the cases of harm to become much more noticeable in the next 5 to 10 years because of the massive increase in exposure.

In the case of one woman I know who is extremely sensitive they mounted antennae on a building level with her apartment and 5 meters from her bedroom. Illegal but who can stop them? She noticed periods of relief. She finally tied these periods into the times that the antennae were down for maintenance.

There are two factors for most people I know of in SA with EHS. Nearly all are women. Nearly all are highly intelligent achievers.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**

Last edited by PartSkeptic; 2nd June 2020 at 11:34 PM.
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 11:36 PM   #716
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,544
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I answered you in post #691.

What you achieve is that you get to find out if your hypothesis is correct.

Usually, when an investigator formulates an hypothesis, that's something they're keen to know.

The only explanation for you not wanting to know is that you're afraid you're wrong.

You are so sure.

Is experimentation with humans illegal or not? Why?
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 11:46 PM   #717
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,267
Of course the truth is that it really is pointless for PartSkeptic to do that blind test. In the highly unlikely event it produces a positive result it will only be his word, he'd have to repeat it with unbiased witnesses to convince anyone else (though there would be nothing to stop him doing that, of course). And in the far more likely event that it produces a negative result, he will just reject it and make up reasons why it doesn't count.

Remember DowserDon? I know PS does because he contributed to his thread, it's here for anyone who missed it. It's long (14 pages) but worth checking out if you're unfamiliar with it, as it's a textbook case of how a perfectly intelligent, rational man can fool himself into believing something that isn't true.

We helped DowserDon design a simple blind test which everyone - including DowserDon - agreed would determine whether or not his hypothesis was correct. But when the result was not the one he confidently expected he didn't slap his hand to his head and say "Of course! Now I understand how I've been misled by my anecdotal experiences!" No, he twisted himself into pretzels of logic trying to explain away the perfectly clear and unambiguous result, and eventually went off in a huff when we patiently explained to him why his excuses didn't wash.

I'm quite sure PartSkeptic would do the same if he ever actually plucked up the courage to test his hypothesis in the way DowserDon did.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 11:59 PM   #718
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,267
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You are so sure.
I'm sure the only way for you to prove (to yourself) you're right is to do the test, if that's what you mean.

Quote:
Is experimentation with humans illegal or not?
Of course it isn't. Every new medical treatment goes through a human trial stage. Everyone who has an allergy test to find out what is causing their symptoms is deliberately exposed to things that might provoke an allergic reaction. People who think they might have a food intolerance frequently methodically remove and then re-introduce foods into their diet to identify the culprit. That last is really all that we're suggesting you do.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 3rd June 2020 at 12:00 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:45 AM   #719
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,267
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
At such low values there is little doubt I would be able to sense the WiFi. If I do the test, then I will know. Why should I share with people who want to find reason to negate the test?
You should do the test to know. You can choose to share or not afterwards, but that has no bearing on the reason for doing the test.

If the result is positive then you'll need to repeat it with independent witnesses to convince anyone else, that's as it should be. But the first step is to convince yourself. I know you're already convinced, but you really shouldn't be.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 03:57 AM   #720
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,438
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
To those who blame psychosomatic.

>ramblesnip<

Yup. More anecdotes. That'll do it.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:02 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.