ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Daniele Ganser , Deep State , Deep State conspiracies , government conspiracies , Peter Dale Scott

Old 12th March 2009, 01:03 PM   #1
metamars
Graduate Poster

Conspiratorial Organizations as standard MO for the Deep State

From Amazon

Government of the Shadows: Parapolitics and Criminal Sovereignty (Hardcover)

Quote:
Book Description
Government of the Shadows analyses the concept of clandestine government. It explores how covert political activity and transnational organised crime are linked -- and how they ultimately work to the advantage of state and corporate power. The book shows that legitimate government is now routinely accompanied by extra-governmental covert operations. Using a variety of case studies, from the mafia in Italy to programmes for food and reconstruction in Iraq, the contributors illustrate that para-political structures are not 'deviant', but central to the operation of global governments. The creation of this truly parallel world-economy, the source of huge political and economic potential, entices states to undertake new forms of regulation, either through their own intelligence agencies, or through the more shadowy world of criminal cartels.
Table of Contents:

PART 1: THEORETICAL PERSPECTIVES
1) Deconstructing the Shadows
2) Democratic State vs. Deep State: Approaching the Dual State of the West
3) Governing Through Globalised Crime
4) Prospering from Crime: Money Laundering and Financial Crises
5) The Shadow Economy: markets, Crime and the State
6) Transnational Crime and Global Illicit Economies
7) Redefining Statehood in the Gobal Periphary

PART II: CASE STUDIES
8) The Sicilian Mafia: Parastate and Adventrue Capitalism
9) Drugs, Anti-communism and Extra-legal Repression in Mexico
10) Parapolitics and Afghanistan
11) From Drug Lords to Warlords: Illegal Drugs and the 'Unintended' Consequences of Drug Policies in Colombia
12) Covert Netherworld: Clandestine Services and Criminal Syndicates in Shaping the Philippine State
13) Beyond Democratic Checks and Balances: The 'Propaganda Due' Masonic Lodge and the CIA in Italy's First Republic

====================

I haven't read the book, so can't comment directly on it. Softcover comes out this December.
metamars is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2009, 01:56 PM   #2
JimBenArm
Based on a true story!

Originally Posted by metamars View Post
I haven't read the book, so can't comment directly on it.
So what was the point of this, then?
Old 12th March 2009, 06:58 PM   #3
metamars
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JimBenArm View Post
So what was the point of this, then?
AFAIK, there are very few books of this nature. I would think that if you are interested in the subject of conspiracies in a serious way, and have the time, checking out the book I mention is something that would interest you.
metamars is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by metamars View Post
AFAIK, there are very few books of this nature. I would think that if you are interested in the subject of conspiracies in a serious way, and have the time, checking out the book I mention is something that would interest you.
That would be like having a serious interest in the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny and buying a big heavy book about just how they manage to do all that stuff with kid's teeth. A bit silly really.
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
That would be like having a serious interest in the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny and buying a big heavy book about just how they manage to do all that stuff with kid's teeth. A bit silly really.

I can already hear, "Are you suggesting there's no such thing as conspiracies?"
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Well if you can't trust a guy who writes christian suspense novels to have a thorough understanding of how the world works, who can you trust?
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2009, 08:52 PM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Another crap conspiracy theory book.
And a waste of a perfectly good tree for the paper.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Alareth
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Another crap conspiracy theory book.
And a waste of a perfectly good tree for the paper.

Obviously a tool of the anti-tree conspiracy
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2009, 09:56 AM   #9
INRM
Philosopher

I'm not sure how true this book is, but the concept doesn't sound too far out there
INRM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2009, 10:35 AM   #10
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by INRM View Post
I'm not sure how true this book is, but the concept doesn't sound too far out there
True,it doesn't sound.It is far out there.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2009, 06:17 PM   #11
metamars
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Wow, what a powerful analogy. Totally convincing.
Old 17th March 2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Caustic Logic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
True,it doesn't sound.It is far out there.
It's insane, judging by the contents, proposing that large amounts of money and power obtained illicitly (in an age where so much is illicit) might become concentrated and play its hand in politics? That's insane! Drug cartels in Colombia? Sicilian Mafia? What, the Pope's involved? Next thing we'll be talking corporations doing the same with legal-ish money, or the state getting used to it and taking kickbacks, or even using the criminal networks to take down enemies, or cause useful crises for political ends. Totally batpoo insane. Tooth Fairy wouldn't even believe in this stuff, even if the Easter Bunny told her all about it. Most ridiculous idea ever.

Plus maybe this nuts idea wasn't written about quite right, I can't say unless I've looked.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 02:36 PM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

For some conspiracies there is evidence. For others, not so much.

We know quite a bit about the Mafia (Sicilian and otherwise), because in spite of their conspiratorial nature, they've left vast amounts of evidence--physical evidence, documents, informants and whistleblowers, etc.--regarding their activities all over the world.

We know nothing at all about the "Masonic Lodge" as a conspiratorial "Deep State", because for some reason it hasn't really left any evidence that it's anything other than a private social club with silly initiation customs.

Unless I'm wrong. If this book offers Mafia-level evidence about the Mason's, I'll be more than happy to reconsider my opinion.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 02:37 PM   #14
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
We know quite a bit about the Mafia (Sicilian and otherwise), because in spite of their conspiratorial nature, they've left vast amounts of evidence--physical evidence, documents, informants and whistleblowers, etc.--regarding their activities all over the world.
Not to mention bodies......
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 02:43 PM   #15
Caustic Logic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Unless I'm wrong. If this book offers Mafia-level evidence about the Mason's, I'll be more than happy to reconsider my opinion.
Apologies, I do see now that a Masonic Lodge is mentioned in the contents. Now my sarcasm above becomes true. There's nothing conspiratorial that has ever happened in or around a Masonic Lodge, sillies! Book is all bunk.

No, I guess that's half-sarcastic. 3/4. 7/8. Yeah, that's about right.

Last edited by Caustic Logic; 17th March 2009 at 02:44 PM.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 02:52 PM   #16
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Caustic Logic View Post
It's insane, judging by the contents, proposing that large amounts of money and power obtained illicitly (in an age where so much is illicit) might become concentrated and play its hand in politics? That's insane! Drug cartels in Colombia? Sicilian Mafia? What, the Pope's involved? Next thing we'll be talking corporations doing the same with legal-ish money, or the state getting used to it and taking kickbacks, or even using the criminal networks to take down enemies, or cause useful crises for political ends. Totally batpoo insane. Tooth Fairy wouldn't even believe in this stuff, even if the Easter Bunny told her all about it. Most ridiculous idea ever.

Plus maybe this nuts idea wasn't written about quite right, I can't say unless I've looked.
I am afraid that insanity is too weak word.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2009, 07:08 PM   #17
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
Tell me that's faintly sarcastic..

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories