ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , nostradamus , predictions , psychics , sylvia browne

Old 1st April 2020, 05:48 PM   #1
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

How many "Psychics" saw this coming?

Every year we see a bunch of "Psychics" list their predictions. I guess this year I was preoccupied with the bushfires, but I didn't see any. I'm going to go way out on a limb and suggest that none of them predicted a global lockdown...

My neighbour claims that Nostradamus predicted it. I said it was a shame that Nostradamus only ever predicts things after they happen...
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 05:51 PM   #2
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Given the large number of these grifters making all kinds of claims you would think a few out there have material to shoehorn.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 09:43 PM   #3
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

Sylvia Browne:
https://www.insider.com/late-psychic...in-2020-2020-3

This post is not meant to be taken seriously.

Ward
Old 1st April 2020, 10:05 PM   #4
EHocking
Philosopher

By comparison, how have forumites done so far in their 2020 prediction thread?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=341121
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 10:13 PM   #5
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
By comparison, how have forumites done so far in their 2020 prediction thread?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=341121
Well, I did pick a recession, but not for the reason it's happening!
Old 1st April 2020, 11:31 PM   #6
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

How many? All of them. Now.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:38 AM   #7
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Here is one that is having the Indian religious in a tizzy:
[https://www.indiatimes.com/amp/techn...0-509487.html]
Something about the world's youngest astrologer and his prediction.

Last edited by Susheel; 2nd April 2020 at 05:41 AM.
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 04:37 PM   #8
Axxman300
Illuminator

*looks a wrist watch* At some point we can expect the "Nostradamus Predicted COVID-19" headlines from the usual source.
Old 2nd April 2020, 04:55 PM   #9
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
*looks a wrist watch* At some point we can expect the "Nostradamus Predicted COVID-19" headlines from the usual source.
Snopes is way ahead of you
Did Nostradamus Predict the COVID-19 Pandemic?.

This is from a larger collection.
The Coronavirus Collection: Prophecies and Predictions
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:36 PM   #10
Axxman300
Illuminator

I love Snopes.
Old 3rd April 2020, 03:09 AM   #11
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I'd like to point out that several months ago when Rees-Mogg released his book "The Victorians" I recommended everyone look out for remaindered copies in the discount bins as a helpful alternative to toilet paper in a crisis. Bet you wish you'd listened now, huh?

Now please excuse me, I had a curry last night and I need to finish chapter three....

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 04:15 AM   #12
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I'd like to point out that several months ago when Rees-Mogg released his book "The Victorians" I recommended everyone look out for remaindered copies in the discount bins as a helpful alternative to toilet paper in a crisis. Bet you wish you'd listened now, huh?

Now please excuse me, I had a curry last night and I need to finish chapter three....
Recycling books in this manner is good advice.

I donít recommend trying to scrape through with just a Kindle.
Old 3rd April 2020, 05:55 AM   #13
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Recycling books in this manner is good advice.

I donít recommend trying to scrape through with just a Kindle.
Kindle? Bah! When I were 'lad we had nowt but chalk and slate to get us through t'crisis. Now that smarted!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:18 AM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Kindle? Bah! When I were 'lad we had nowt but chalk and slate to get us through t'crisis. Now that smarted!

Chalk and slate? You soft southern pansy, we had gravel and we were bloody happy with that, well bloody anyway.
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:45 AM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I love Snopes.
Snopes? It's nothing but liberal fake news!
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:15 AM   #16
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
Sylvia Browne:
https://www.insider.com/late-psychic...in-2020-2020-3

This post is not meant to be taken seriously.

Ward
Seriously though, this is one time I wouldn't hate her being right. Odds are she won't be though...

Originally Posted by crazy woman with long fingernails who couldn't even get her own death right
In around 2020 a severe pneumonia-like illness will spread throughout the globe, attacking the lungs and the bronchial tubes and resisting all known treatments. Almost more baffling than the illness itself will be the fact that it will suddenly vanish as quickly as it arrived, attack again ten years later, and then disappear completely.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sy...e-coronavirus/

Last edited by Mike!; 3rd April 2020 at 11:16 AM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 04:03 AM   #17
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

As soon as I saw that Sylvia tidbit show up in the news, I wished RSL was around to say something about it.
Old 4th April 2020, 05:32 AM   #18
Cheetah
Master Poster

I think that if you were psychic but didn't know...
I mean you have no idea...
No idea about anything, literally anything at all and you had a premonition about this, it might easily come out 'covfefe'.
Old 10th May 2020, 02:41 AM   #19
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
In around 2020 a severe pneumonia-like illness will spread throughout the globe, attacking the lungs and the bronchial tubes and resisting all known treatments. Almost more baffling than the illness itself will be the fact that it will suddenly vanish as quickly as it arrived, attack again ten years later, and then disappear completely.
I think we found Trump's Rasputin. He's been taking psychic advice from Sylvia Browne the whole time .
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2020, 02:42 AM   #20
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

With all the things he apparently predicted, you'd think someone would get an overview of his predictions so that they could warn us before things happened, instead of going "oh, Nostradamus like totally predicted this". Advance warning of a pandemic would've been incredibly useful.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2020, 03:13 AM   #21
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Chalk and slate? You soft southern pansy, we had gravel and we were bloody happy with that, well bloody anyway.

Gravel? Luxury! We Ďad to mek do wií our dad sterilisiní it twice a day wií a red-Ďot poker.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2020, 04:28 AM   #22
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Gravel? Luxury! We Ďad to mek do wií our dad sterilisiní it twice a day wií a red-Ďot poker.

Iíve just been listening to Tim Brooke-Taylorís tribute programme on Radio 4 and learned he wrote the original sketch.
Old 11th May 2020, 12:44 AM   #23
EHocking
Philosopher

I’ve just been listening to Tim Brooke-Taylor’s tribute programme on Radio 4 and learned he wrote the original sketch.
And performed in it, from 1967 on "At Last the 1948 Show".
The script has barely changed (if at all).
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by EHocking; 11th May 2020 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11th May 2020, 03:18 PM   #24
CORed
Philosopher

Yeah. Well here in the American West, we used cactus.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2020, 04:10 PM   #25
JollyRoger
Muse

Science has been predicting this one for years using logical deduction. They took information on how a typical virus can be transmitted added to that the ease in which we can travel threw-out the world, and put it on one of my favorite nerdy science tv stations.

Eat your heart out psychics, science does it better
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
Albert Einstein
JollyRoger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2020, 04:13 PM   #26
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
How many "Psychics" saw this coming?
All of them. They see everything. That's what a psychic is.
Old 31st May 2020, 04:24 PM   #27
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
Science has been predicting this one for years using logical deduction. They took information on how a typical virus can be transmitted added to that the ease in which we can travel threw-out the world, and put it on one of my favorite nerdy science tv stations.

Eat your heart out psychics, science does it better
They are saying it every year.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal