ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghosts

Old 1st April 2020, 06:33 PM   #521
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
The Bigfoot threads don't contain any believers, yet hogwash is posted weekly. Bit of a laugh, innit. Something to blather about.
Are you suggesting GLAARGing?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 11:48 PM   #522
Tassman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Thank you. In all of your experience have you found any evidence that ghosts exists and or has a scientist come up with any concrete proof that they exist? I hope not!
Of course not. The notion of ghosts is grounded in the unevidenced premise that life does not end at death. But there is no good reason to think that - other than an escapist fear of death. All living things die.
Old 2nd April 2020, 04:28 AM   #523
catsmate
No longer the 1

There's also:
Lord John Angerstein’s coach pulled by four headless horses in the vicinity of Trafalgar Road, travelling onwards to Vanbrugh Hill in southeast London.

The ghost of Alice Grant that walks the Bromley Road and Southend Lane area.

Another phantom coach (this time the phantom horses have heads) that moves silently on the Bayswater Road near Hyde Park.

The "murderous screams" heard occasionally on Kidbroke Lane in southeast London.

The truly bizarre story of the phantom of Lincoln's Inn Fields:
On 13FEB1913 a group of 'legal gentlemen' men were standing and talking near the lodge in Lincoln's Inn Fields when they were alarmed by a terrifying scream from above. They looked up and saw what appeared to be the silhouette of a man fighting off an unseen assailant in an upstairs office
They rushed to his aid and were met by the bloody body of the victim, one Charles Appleby, a young barrister.
The story goes that another barrister (John Radlett) was also found murdered in the room, locked on the inside and with "strange scratch marks" on the door.

Earlier, back in 1901 two men (one a Mail journalist, one an author/historian) spent the night in an allegedly haunted room in Lincoln's Inn. The saw nothing except the door opening and closing itself but in the morning the powdered chalk they'd laid on the floor showed the prints of a "giant bird".
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 04:42 AM   #524
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Humans have been intentionally looking at things that freak them out since day one, tbh.

It's the reason we have a genre known as Horror within film and literature.

It's the reason people who don't like gore will turn their heads back a couple of times to try and get a glimpse of a car wreck.

Perfectly natural.
But we're not discussing this in a general sense: we're talking specifically about AmyW.
AmyW claims her belief in ghosts and spirits causes/caused 'high anxiety', 'confusion' and made her 'freak out'.
This is not the reaction of someone enjoying a spinechiller, so I think the point still stands: if you really feel this way, you wouldn't deliberately seek out more of the same. Over and over again.
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:42 PM   #525
Axxman300
Illuminator

Things you should be afraid of right now:

Getting sick.
Not being able to pay your bills.
Someone you love getting sick.

*spiders are optional.

It's like going swimming in Loch Ness. You should be afraid of:

Hypothermia
Drowning

*eels are optional

Hiking in the Pacific North West one should be afraid of:

Ticks.
Getting lost.
Dehydration.
Blisters on your feet.

*bears are optional.
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:56 AM   #526
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

Getting sick.

*spiders are optional.

Hypothermia
Drowning

*eels are optional

Ticks.
Getting lost.
Dehydration.
Blisters on your feet.
BIGFOOT!!!

*bears are optional.
You missed the scariest thing of all!
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:26 AM   #527
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Getting sick.

*spiders are optional.

Hypothermia
Drowning

*eels are optional

Ticks.
Getting lost.
Dehydration.
Blisters on your feet.
BIGFOOT
GHOST OF BIGFOOT

*bears are optional.
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Respectfully, possibly not.
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:44 AM   #528
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I am not afraid of clowns.

My dream was to go to Clown College up in San Francisco:

http://circuscenter.org/clown

How anyone can be afraid of something that can be dealt with by seltzer water, or a pie to the face, or a whoopee cushion is beyond me.
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:45 AM   #529
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Respectfully, possibly not.
Only if Bigfoot is playing a banjo.
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:12 PM   #530
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Getting sick.

*spiders are optional.

You are so wrong!!! Spiders are NEVER optional!!!
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:42 PM   #531
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Does anyone see a difference between ghosts and ghostly experiences?
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:46 PM   #532
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Does anyone see a difference between ghosts and ghostly experiences?
Not sure what you mean. How do you define the two?
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:41 PM   #533
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Not sure what you mean. How do you define the two?

Not seeing a "ghost:" but experiencing a ghostly encounter. I say the word ghostly because I do not know another term to explain it.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 12:57 AM   #534
AmyW
Thinker

I've read the replies and feel somewhat hurt. How would you conclude that I am not sincere? What would be my agenda exactly?
As previously stated, I used to be a believer, it screwed with my head and had a negative impact on my life. I have OCD, which means that when my anxiety is high, I have unwanted thought 'see ghosts are real, look at this article' and when I don't have an answer I then ask on this forum, I'm sorry to repeat but believe me I am listening. Once I have an answer my anxiety decreases and I feel reassured. I don't purposely seek bloody ghost stories out, I was looking for a documentary to watch and found this. Why the second guessing and assumptions? Why would I purposely try and upset myself by googling that **** and cause upset to myself?
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 01:01 AM   #535
AmyW
Thinker

Please don't make judgements when you don't know me from Adam. I am not seeking out videos on purpose, I was actually trying to find a good BBC documentary and that came up, I was searching BBC documentaries, I like history and was searching out Victorian age!
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 01:03 AM   #536
AmyW
Thinker

Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
Of course not. The notion of ghosts is grounded in the unevidenced premise that life does not end at death. But there is no good reason to think that - other than an escapist fear of death. All living things die.
Thank you for this reply, instead of making unsound judgements against my character.
Old 4th April 2020, 01:06 AM   #537
AmyW
Thinker

Why do ghost stories exist and why do idiots like myself believe them?
Old 4th April 2020, 01:09 AM   #538
AmyW
Thinker

Also, again I came across this on my Instagram page and I asked him how he did it and he said magic. How has he done this?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-hY7Q_n...=160ym08di483y
Old 4th April 2020, 01:12 AM   #539
EHocking
Philosopher

I think you answered your own question there.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 01:46 AM   #540
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Please don't make judgements when you don't know me from Adam. I am not seeking out videos on purpose, I was actually trying to find a good BBC documentary and that came up, I was searching BBC documentaries, I like history and was searching out Victorian age!
I think some posters are disappointed that you don't even try to use the information and advice they've repeatedly given you before posting whatever new example you've stumbled across and asking them to explain that too.

For example: how do you think the guy in your latest Instagram video did it? If you made at least some attempt to apply the critical thinking skills you should have acquired by now, instead of just posting it and asking for explanations, posters who've helped you in the past might be a little less frustrated by your latest posts.
Old 4th April 2020, 01:53 AM   #541
AmyW
Thinker

Maybe he used a magnet? I think I need to 're read the posts properly.

Am I an idiot?
Old 4th April 2020, 01:57 AM   #542
AmyW
Thinker

I am sometimes my own worst enemy. The reason I freak out is because I once had a reading with a psychic. She told me god created me with a low level of intelligence. Which means if ghosts exist, then psychics are real and so is god and so it must be true that I am stupid and can't do anything like read, write poetry etc which then leads to depression.... that's why I 'freak out'
Old 4th April 2020, 02:04 AM   #543
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Maybe he used a magnet?
That's certainly one possibility.

Quote:
I think I need to 're read the posts properly.
And follow some of the links you've been given, perhaps.

Here's a generally useful site that is worth bookmarking:

www.skepdic.com/

Maybe start with the entry on telekinesis and then follow the links under 'See also" to related articles.

Quote:
Am I an idiot?
No, I don't think so. It can be very difficult to shake off something that was part of your worldview for a long time. Just keep plugging away at it.
Old 4th April 2020, 02:08 AM   #544
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I am sometimes my own worst enemy. The reason I freak out is because I once had a reading with a psychic. She told me ….
Whatever she told you was utterly worthless. She was either a con artist or, if she actually believed the nonsense she spewed, of limited intelligence and/or wilfully ignorant herself. You can safely ignore everything she said.
Old 4th April 2020, 04:31 AM   #545
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Nope, still not buying that.

Thank you. In all of your experience have you found any evidence that ghosts exists and or has a scientist come up with any concrete proof that they exist? I hope not!
Which BBC documentary prompted this question?

Some great replies thank you. I have recently seen this article, came across it by mistake and now it has freaked me out. Surely these stories can't be true?
https://secretldn.com/haunted-underground-stations/

I just want to be assured that ghosts if they are real that they aren't dead people/spirits of the dead. Please see the link and let me know what you think?
You are now telling us that you were searching the BBC for documentaries, and accidentally stumbled on something that was not a documentary, and not on the BBC, about something you didn't want to read about, but did, which then prompted you to post it here, despite the reaction and advice given every previous time you have done this? Seriously?
No.
Old 4th April 2020, 04:48 AM   #546
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Because of the way humans work. And I'd substitute "human beings" for "idiots" above.

Evolution has made us very good at spotting cause and effect. If eating those unfamiliar berries was the only new thing that happened before the whole band felt sick, then we link the two: those berries make you sick. Unfortunately we're a bit too good at making those connections, so you can find if you get sick it puts you off ever eating whichever food you last ate, even if it was innocent. It has also made us superstitious: we won that game on the day I wore my new pants, so they're my lucky pants and now I have to wear them every time.

We also like stories. We learn from them, and especially if they warn us against something in a way that allows us to get scared in safety.

Put the two together and you get superstitious people who like scary stories. It's usually harmless fun but, if it gets to you, please be assured ghosts really are just pretend.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 04:51 AM   #547
RedStapler
Critical Thinker

I I have OCD, which means that when my anxiety is high, I have unwanted thought 'see ghosts are real, look at this article'
The obvious start for a solution is: See a doctor. You may think that asking for help for this specific kind of problem on the web would be right but it isn't.

Go.
see.
a.
doctor.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 04:58 AM   #548
Carrot Flower King
Scholar

Amy, OCD is eminently treatable. What steps are you or have you taken to deal with it?

If, as you say, you know you have OCD why are you seeking out triggers for your anxiety, rather than avoiding them, especially as they are not part of everyday life?

Asking the same questions repeatedly, especially after they are already answered, does not always go down well, so do not be too surprised at some of the reactions.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 08:38 AM   #549
AmyW
Thinker

I am seeing a therapist. At the moment because of the virus I haven't had a session for 2 weeks, he has asked during the sessions that we stick to facts and not assumptions. I am also on a anti depressant of 40mg.

Cosmic, please do tell me what you think my intentions are?

Perhaps the safest bet for me is when I come across ghost stories etc is to ignore them and stop trying to work it all out as that only makes things worse. Nobody sadly knows all of the answers.
Old 4th April 2020, 08:42 AM   #550
AmyW
Thinker

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Because of the way humans work. And I'd substitute "human beings" for "idiots" above.

Evolution has made us very good at spotting cause and effect. If eating those unfamiliar berries was the only new thing that happened before the whole band felt sick, then we link the two: those berries make you sick. Unfortunately we're a bit too good at making those connections, so you can find if you get sick it puts you off ever eating whichever food you last ate, even if it was innocent. It has also made us superstitious: we won that game on the day I wore my new pants, so they're my lucky pants and now I have to wear them every time.

We also like stories. We learn from them, and especially if they warn us against something in a way that allows us to get scared in safety.

Put the two together and you get superstitious people who like scary stories. It's usually harmless fun but, if it gets to you, please be assured ghosts really are just pretend.
Yes. We certainly are a superstitious bunch aren't we. I think that there are unexplained things but assuming it's to do with the dead and a god doesn't help me. Religion has only caused severe anxiety for me in the past and if there is a god I don't want to know him or her, I think deep down that scares me, I don't know why but if god exists it would be a frightening thing :-(
Old 4th April 2020, 08:47 AM   #551
AmyW
Thinker

Thank you Pixel, my issue is I try/become obsessed at times with trying to 'figure it all out' when in reality all that does is put me in a spin/ end up chasing my own tail.

Perhaps if I just admit that I don't have the answers it will stop this relentless argument. I have been fine lately, just a trigger which was unintentional, even though Cosmic thinks I'm doing it on purpose, I can assure you I don't go around looking for things to heighten my fears!
Old 4th April 2020, 09:01 AM   #552
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I think that there are unexplained things but assuming it's to do with the dead and a god doesn't help me.
Indeed. Appreciating that mysterious things have nothing whatever to do with dead people or deities is really quite relaxing and I recommend it. There will always be unexplained things; if science knew everything it would stop. On the other hand, there are an awful lot of things which have mundane explanations but which people seem to enjoy imagining are inexplicable.

Quote:
Religion has only caused severe anxiety for me in the past and if there is a god I don't want to know him or her, I think deep down that scares me, I don't know why but if god exists it would be a frightening thing :-(
Relax. Gods are just pretend. Seriously.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 09:10 AM   #553
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I've read the replies and feel somewhat hurt. How would you conclude that I am not sincere? What would be my agenda exactly?
As previously stated, I used to be a believer, it screwed with my head and had a negative impact on my life. I have OCD, which means that when my anxiety is high, I have unwanted thought 'see ghosts are real, look at this article' and when I don't have an answer I then ask on this forum, I'm sorry to repeat but believe me I am listening. Once I have an answer my anxiety decreases and I feel reassured. I don't purposely seek bloody ghost stories out, I was looking for a documentary to watch and found this. Why the second guessing and assumptions? Why would I purposely try and upset myself by googling that **** and cause upset to myself?
When I presented you with a ghostly photograph that I took with my kids to demonstrate how easy it is to create the illusion of ghosts, you ignored it.

At the time, I was teaching them how to operate an SLR camera and the effect of apperature, exposure time and so forth and that was one of the practical exercises.

Why do you run from such real world examples of how trivial it is to do that?

...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 4th April 2020 at 09:11 AM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 09:38 AM   #554
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

As previously stated, I used to be a believer, it screwed with my head and had a negative impact on my life. I have OCD, which means that when my anxiety is high, I have unwanted thought 'see ghosts are real, look at this article' and when I don't have an answer I then ask on this forum, I'm sorry to repeat but believe me I am listening. Once I have an answer my anxiety decreases and I feel reassured.
If this is true, then I think you should be looking for professional help. You should not be looking at this thread as a course of treatment for your OCD and anxiety. You should not be holding us accountable for the quality of the treatment you're getting. That's not what this forum is for. It's not the kind of discussion that goes on here.

Thank you for this reply, instead of making unsound judgements against my character.
This reply is the same reply you've been getting since the beginning of this thread. What's going on, that's preventing you from internalizing it, and giving yourself the reply when you need it?

People grow and learn. They take the answers they get and build their own view of the world and build their own answers on top of it. If you're unable to go through that maturation process on this topic, then I think you probably need help this forum cannot provide. Please stop trying to make that help our responsibility.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 09:39 AM   #555
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Not idiots. Just people. And this is exactly the kind of question that in your case is probably best directed at a medical professional who knows the details of your situation.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 09:44 AM   #556
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps the safest bet for me is when I come across ghost stories etc is to ignore them and stop trying to work it all out as that only makes things worse. Nobody sadly knows all of the answers.
Nobody knows all the answers, but I bet your therapist knows the answer to this one.
Old 4th April 2020, 11:42 AM   #557
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not idiots. Just people. And this is exactly the kind of question that in your case is probably best directed at a medical professional who knows the details of your situation.
This. I agree. From what I have seen in this thread, Amy, please do seek out a professional therapist to help you. This is more serious then forum members can deal with. Find the right doctor who can help you with answers.
Old 4th April 2020, 12:35 PM   #558
Axxman300
Illuminator

Thank you Pixel, my issue is I try/become obsessed at times with trying to 'figure it all out' when in reality all that does is put me in a spin/ end up chasing my own tail.

Perhaps if I just admit that I don't have the answers it will stop this relentless argument. I have been fine lately, just a trigger which was unintentional, even though Cosmic thinks I'm doing it on purpose, I can assure you I don't go around looking for things to heighten my fears!
You have two options:

1 - Get there and investigate, and explore "haunted" locations yourself. This is a lot of work entailing many hours in libraries looking at old property records, and old news papers on microfilm.

2 - Accept the current science on the subject and relax.

The first option will take a few years and cost some money in gas, photocopies from library microfilm machines and library cards, and fees at the city/county hall of records. You will get out and meet people and you will learn that what people think they see and what they actually see are often two different things. You will learn that a person's beliefs will color their perceptions. You will learn that weird things do happen and debunking those things isn't always automatic, and can take years of honest work.

As long as there are human beings there will be reports of ghosts and haunted places. Tribal mentalities and the human ego dictate which fringe beliefs are acceptable. Human ego is the worst offender. When something out of the ordinary happens which cannot be explained by the person or people who experienced the event they may blame the occurrence on the paranormal simply because ghosts are more acceptable than the idea that they might not be as smart and perceptive as they think they are.
"I know what I saw," is a common refrain in this forum when it comes to the paranormal. I used to say it all the time. While I knew "what" I saw the question became, "why did I see it?". Answering that question took a while but learning about how the brain works, and infrasound, and a host of other latent atmospheric and environmental conditions help me solve almost all of my "unexplained" issues.

I'm glad I did the work. Getting out and poking around is good fun.

Instead of looking up articles about ghosts try looking up Infrasound, and CO2 poisoning, and toxic sheet-rock. These are the first things a good ghost hunter should know about and seek out first in any investigation.
Old 4th April 2020, 03:38 PM   #559
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Also, again I came across this on my Instagram page and I asked him how he did it and he said magic. How has he done this?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-hY7Q_n...=160ym08di483y

I'm sure he did it not by magic but by some perfectly natural means. Perhaps a magnet, as suggested; perhaps a very fine thread that could be pulled by an offscreen helper; perhaps a puff of compressed air, the sound of which was edited out of the video; or . . . well, we can speculate, but from the video alone, we can't tell. Perception can be fooled. On occasion, I have taught a class that includes a segment on critical thinking. There is an absurdly simple illusion called the "Balducci Levitation" (you can look it up) that I did once in front of a class, asking them to observe and make notes of what I did.

About a quarter of the class was sure that I managed to raise my whole body nine to twelve inches above the floor and hover in the air. take my word for it: Not once was I completely off the floor. People talk themselves into seeing more than they actually did.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 04:54 AM   #560
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Cosmic, please do tell me what you think my intentions are?
I have no idea, nor do I think it relevant to speculate.

Perhaps the safest bet for me is when I come across ghost stories etc is to ignore them
THIS!!!!! YES!!!!! GOD, YES, THIS!!!! DO THIS!!!!!

and stop trying to work it all out as that only makes things worse.
Hope soars like a lark- and then plummets like a brick.

You see, AmyW, I don't think you are trying to 'work it all out'.
Here's what happens:
AW: "Hey. Here are some ghost stories. Are they real?"
ISF: "No, Amy, these are just unsupported anecdotes. There is no good evidence for the existence of ghosts. Ghosts are not real".
AW: "Thanks. That's reassuring".

Two weeks later:
ISF: "No, Amy, these are just unsupported anecdotes. There is no good evidence for the existence of ghosts. Ghosts are not real".

A few more weeks later:

Here's an example of that:
Some great replies thank you. I have recently seen this article, came across it by mistake and now it has freaked me out. Surely these stories can't be true?
https://secretldn.com/haunted-underground-stations/

I just want to be assured that ghosts if they are real that they aren't dead people/spirits of the dead. Please see the link and let me know what you think?
Please highlight which part of that post shows you 'trying to work it all out'.
You could have taken the previous answers and applied them to your latest 'accidental' find, but you didn't. You have, as far as I can see from your posts, made no effort at all to work anything out. You read some ghost stories, got 'freaked out', and posted them here, expecting us to provide assurance that they are just as bogus as all the previous ones. This is not 'working it all out'.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but the only way you're ever going to deal with this is if you yourself take responsibility for it. No amount of advice, pointers or even scorn is going to stop you from this reaction: you have to actually start working it all out, for real, by applying what you've got from this forum and using it to improve your mental state.

Nobody sadly knows all of the answers.
Nobody needs to. As I have said before, if there was good evidence for ghosts, I would believe in ghosts.
There is none, so I don't. That's it. There are numerous possible explanations for people's reports of ghostly encounters, as has been explained to you several times already. The bottom line is, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that there is no valid evidence for ghosts, spirits or life after death. The rest is interesting, but not (IMHO) important.
(I'm being very kind here, and hoping that last comment wasn't a precursor to the old 'your science doesn't know everything' canard. Please don't do that!)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal