ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Karl Popper , pseudoscience , science

Old 14th April 2020, 08:42 AM   #81
devhdb
Thinker

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Again, the fact that the demarcation line is not sharp, ie that there are some cases where we cannot say if it is science or pseudo science does not imply that there are not some things that are definitely pseudo science and it does not imply that there are not some things that are definitely science.
Understood. (Hopefully :-) )

Now tell us: how do you do it?

Originally Posted by Robin
Also, I don't see the point in assigning percentages to things unless you can also describe the function by which you would calculate these percentages. Zoology professors handing out movie cameras to chimpanzees sounds like pseudo science to me, as does quite a lot of evolutionary psychology, but I couldn't describe a function to assign percentages to these.
In other words, you tell them apart by mere "intuition", just not following any logical or rational way to do it.

That's, among other things, what I wanted to read when I began this thread. :-)

Hence skepticism should be HUMBLE, for it has to admit that it hasn't got a rational or logical way to tell science from pseudoscience with 100% certainty.
devhdb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 08:54 AM   #82
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Seems like it's time for science to 'fess up. There's no formal logic behind the assessment of medical trials, it's all just judged by mere "intuition". All that collecting of data is just flim-flam, because the effects of any medicine are ultimately just made up and doctors prescribe it by mere intuition.

Science has finally been rumbled. And it would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky homeopaths.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 09:00 AM   #83
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by devhdb View Post
Understood. (Hopefully :-) )

In other words, you tell them apart by mere "intuition", just not following any logical or rational way to do it.

That's, among other things, what I wanted to read when I began this thread. :-)

Hence skepticism should be HUMBLE, for it has to admit that it hasn't got a rational or logical way to tell science from pseudoscience with 100% certainty.
Skeptics should be humble. I agree!
Science should be humble. I agree!

But neither should be wimps and wooses when it comes to what has been advanced by empirical investigation, and what hasn't.

We can't assign a 100% absolute correctness to what the WHO advises about Covid-19, but we can sure damned well dismiss the blatherings of a certain president.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 09:01 AM   #84
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Ahhhh just another "Egg heads need to be taken down a peg, they aren't smart as they think they are" Woo Apologist?

I wanted something I hadn't seen a dozen times this year alone.
Old 14th April 2020, 09:49 AM   #85
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Start with this: https://www.lajollabridge.com/French...m/filchers.htm.
Old 14th April 2020, 09:54 AM   #86
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Sure.

KNOWING != MAKING.

Also, you could google episteme & techne.

Better like that? :-)

Even in English you are making no sense to me.
Old 14th April 2020, 09:57 AM   #87
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Again, as I mentioned to Robin above:

In other words, you are right, maybe there is NO CERTAINTY and we shouldn't say that a certain homeopath is 100% pseudoscientific but 80% pseudoscientific, right?

Hmm... I guess that's not the case, for when you call someone a pseudoscientific there's no middle way with words here: he is either

a) a pseudoscientifist
b) a scientifist

right?

I'm glad you agree with me that there's no absolute demarcation. :-)

A homeopath would not be known as a scientist, in the usual nomenclature they would be know as a practitioner.
Old 14th April 2020, 10:08 AM   #88
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Hi bruto, welcome to the debate.

When you define something as pseudoscientific, is it all or nothing or you address it with a "80% pseudoscientific".

If that would be the case:

5. What degree of certainty (in percentage) would you demand from a judge to justify his sentence to you for condemning you to indemnify with $100.000 and 5 years of prison for you having slandered the honor of a certain homeopath calling her 'pseudoscientific' without justifying which Demarcation Criterion did you use to discern between Science and Pseudoscience with certainty? 70%?, 95% of certainty? What value (precisely) would leave you satisfied so that your prison sentence would be rationally justified?

Do you claim to be able to tell them apart or not?
Are there any "in betweens" or "middle ways" in this last question or is it a 0% vs. 100%?

Also, could you please answer ANY of the 5 questions above?

Thanks! :-)
WRT the example #5 given above I'd just say the judge is a fool. Throwing some bits of real science into the pot does not impart sense to nonsense, and for an allegation of pseudoscience to be slanderous the homeopath would have to prove that his practice is scientific with sufficient certainty to make the allegation a matter of malicious falsehood rather than opinion. I would suggest that if you can't prove the memory of water you can't claim homeopathy is scientific, and that would be the case even if it worked.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 11:39 AM   #89
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Hi Captain_Swoop, welcome,

Do you claim to be able to tell science from pseudoscience with rigour?
If so, how?

Could you please do something practical and answer ANY of the 5 questions above for us? Nobody seems to have dared yet. :-)

Thanks!
It's a waste of time and effort.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 11:41 AM   #90
devhdb
Thinker

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I would suggest that if you can't prove the memory of water you can't claim homeopathy is scientific, and that would be the case even if it worked.
Fair enough.

Though maybe homeopathy is still a protoscience.

What kind of predictions makes the String Theory? And the hypothesis of the Multiverse? Can they be falsified?

Or maybe are they just protosciences yet?

With a small difference: homeopathy CAN be falsified. How about String Theory and the Multiverse? Can they be considered scientific?

Hmm... maybe we have a problem with your argumentation there...
devhdb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 11:44 AM   #91
devhdb
Thinker

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It's a waste of time and effort.
No, it is not, for if you do answer any of those 5 questions above sucessfully you might have contributed to the advancement of Philosophy of Science more than any other philosopher in the past century.

So don't you think it might be worth it?

So that you don't waste too much time and effort, you can go on and try to answer them in a one liner if you please.

Old 14th April 2020, 11:46 AM   #92
devhdb
Thinker

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
A homeopath would not be known as a scientist, in the usual nomenclature they would be know as a practitioner.
I beg to differ.

A homeopath that is investigating the possible effects of his experiments and who tries to test his hypothesis is by all means a candidate for being called a scientist properly.
Old 14th April 2020, 11:50 AM   #93
devhdb
Thinker

You say:

I’ll just reply on my non existent iPad.

I say:

Do you mean that science is that AND ONLY THAT *KNOWLEDGE* which produces *TECHNOLOGY*, such as an iPad? Please correct me if I'm wrong... is that your final posture?

Fine.

In that case, please, let me know:

- are Mathematics science?
- what kind of technology has produced String Theory?
- what kind of technology has produced the hypothesis of the Multiverse?

Are String Theory and/or the hypothesis of the Multiverse science of pseudoscience?

[as I already replied to Robin before: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7#post13055667 ]

Also, I would appreciate if at least ONE person here tries to answer at least ONE question out of the 5 asked on my first post.

In order to advance into this interesting debate, would you try to answer at least one of those, Darat?

Thanks. :-)
Old 14th April 2020, 11:55 AM   #94
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Reminds me of the guy last week insinuating that science just hadn't got around to properly looking at astrology yet.

Homeopathy has had 200 years of playing at being science. It's not as if it's untestable. It doesn't work other than as a placebo and there's no plausible reason to imagine it should.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 11:56 AM   #95
devhdb
Thinker

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Ahhhh just another "Egg heads need to be taken down a peg, they aren't smart as they think they are" Woo Apologist?

I wanted something I hadn't seen a dozen times this year alone.
Hi JoeMorgue, welcome.

I'm sure you can contribute with something intellectually challenging, such as answering at least ONE of those 5 questions, right?

I assume you are smart enough to do it in a one liner each, such as I did.

i.e.:

My answers:

1. I DON'T KNOW.
2. I DON'T KNOW.
3. I DON'T KNOW.
4. NO.
5. I DON'T KNOW.

Thanks!
Old 14th April 2020, 11:59 AM   #96
devhdb
Thinker

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Reminds me of the guy last week insinuating that science just hadn't got around to properly looking at astrology yet.

Homeopathy has had 200 years of playing at being science. It's not as if it's untestable. It doesn't work other than as a placebo and there's no plausible reason to imagine it should.
Fair enough. How about String Theory and the hypothesis of the Multiverse?

Are they science or protoscience?
What precise predictions do they make?
What scientific evidence exists of their predictions?

Thanks.
Old 14th April 2020, 11:59 AM   #97
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I beg to differ.

A homeopath that is investigating the possible effects of his experiments and who tries to test his hypothesis is by all means a candidate for being called a scientist properly.
Well, duh. A homeopath who conducts scientific experiments is also a scientist. In other news, a homeopath who sells fish is also a fishmonger.

All we're lacking really is the results of those scientific experiments showing that homeopathy has any effect beyond placebo.
Old 14th April 2020, 12:05 PM   #98
devhdb
Thinker

All we're lacking really is the results of those scientific experiments showing that homeopathy has any effect beyond placebo.
I'm glad that you bring this topic. Please, let me explain myself better:

Are you aware of the replication crisis in Medicine?

Out of 49 medical studies from 1990–2003 with more than 1000 citations, 45 claimed that the studied therapy was effective. Out of these studies, 16% were contradicted by subsequent studies, 16% had found stronger effects than did subsequent studies, 44% were replicated, and 24% remained largely unchallenged.[58] The US Food and Drug Administration in 1977–1990 found flaws in 10–20% of medical studies.[59] In a paper published in 2012, Glenn Begley, a biotech consultant working at Amgen, and Lee Ellis, at the University of Texas, argued that only 11% of the pre-clinical cancer studies could be replicated.

A 2016 article by John Ioannidis, Professor of Medicine and of Health Research and Policy at Stanford University School of Medicine and a Professor of Statistics at Stanford University School of Humanities and Sciences, elaborated on "Why Most Clinical Research Is Not Useful".[62] In the article Ioannidis laid out some of the problems and called for reform, characterizing certain points for medical research to be useful again; one example he made was the need for medicine to be "patient centered" (e.g. in the form of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute) instead of the current practice to mainly take care of "the needs of physicians, investigators, or sponsors". Ioannidis is known for his research focus on science itself since the 2005 paper "Why Most Published Research Findings Are False".

Would you say that it's fair to conclude that medicine is a failed science just because some studies cannot be replicated? Or maybe they are just doing science, and, as such, are subjected to trial and error, in the very same way that the homeopath is?
Old 14th April 2020, 12:08 PM   #99
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Fair enough. How about String Theory and the hypothesis of the Multiverse?

Are they science or protoscience?
What precise predictions do they make?
What scientific evidence exists of their predictions?

Thanks.
I don't know enough about string theory to usefully address your questions, though I am aware that critics have said it fails to make testable predictions. I might suggest you begin with its Wikipedia page.

Thanks.
Old 14th April 2020, 12:15 PM   #100
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Would you say that it's fair to conclude that medicine is a failed science just because some studies cannot be replicated? Or maybe they are just doing science, and, as such, are subjected to trial and error, in the very same way that the homeopath is?
I've followed the work of Ben Goldacre and am familiar with the problem. This is not news.

However I would caution against relying on examples of drug test results which cannot be replicated as a reason to bat away the consilience of evidence which shows homeopathy achieving nothing.
Old 14th April 2020, 12:16 PM   #101
devhdb
Thinker

though I am aware that critics have said it fails to make testable predictions.
Exactly.

So, is that a science or a pseudoscience?
Old 14th April 2020, 12:20 PM   #102
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Out of 49 medical studies from 1990–2003 with more than 1000 citations, 45 claimed that the studied therapy was effective. Out of these studies, 16% were contradicted by subsequent studies, 16% had found stronger effects than did subsequent studies, 44% were replicated, and 24% remained largely unchallenged.[58] The US Food and Drug Administration in 1977–1990 found flaws in 10–20% of medical studies.[59] In a paper published in 2012, Glenn Begley, a biotech consultant working at Amgen, and Lee Ellis, at the University of Texas, argued that only 11% of the pre-clinical cancer studies could be replicated.

A 2016 article by John Ioannidis, Professor of Medicine and of Health Research and Policy at Stanford University School of Medicine and a Professor of Statistics at Stanford University School of Humanities and Sciences, elaborated on "Why Most Clinical Research Is Not Useful".[62] In the article Ioannidis laid out some of the problems and called for reform, characterizing certain points for medical research to be useful again; one example he made was the need for medicine to be "patient centered" (e.g. in the form of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute) instead of the current practice to mainly take care of "the needs of physicians, investigators, or sponsors". Ioannidis is known for his research focus on science itself since the 2005 paper "Why Most Published Research Findings Are False".

To paraphrase the late Dr Jonathan Miller, “take out the mote from your own eye before you come messing around with our beams.”

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 12:20 PM   #103
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Exactly.

No. It seems to be a conjecture. It may eventually develop into a science, or it may be a dead end. It's not pretending to be a science by just looking sciency, so I wouldn't class it as a pseudoscience.
Old 14th April 2020, 12:22 PM   #104
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

As for me, I really do not care if there is some sort of definitive paper out there or not which can irrefutably state the difference between actual science and pseudo-science.

After all actual science is real, and as such, real science can be objectively tested, and real science can be used to predict future events.

Whereas pseudo-science means whatever one wants it mean and as such, pseudo-science can not be objectively tested and pseudo-science cannot be reliably used to predict future events.

If someone can show me how to use pseudo-science to solve a mathematical problem, build an airplane, or make a better mouse trap, then I would have some respect for pseudo-science.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 12:24 PM   #105
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I beg to differ.

What about homeopaths who repeatedly cite the same small, flawed trials? Who make excuses for the failure of homeopathy to show efficacy in properly conducted controlled trials? Who claim that homeopathy can’t be properly tested by controlled trials?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 12:27 PM   #106
Mojo
Mostly harmless

It’s been failing in RCTs for at least 185 years.

Old 14th April 2020, 01:43 PM   #107
ynot
Philosopher

I consider myself a true skeptic in the sense that I know that I know nothing... and even I couldn't be sure of that, may I add. :-)
You are conflating skepticism and ignorance (first mistake of many).

If you know nothing then you can’t know you know nothing. Your very first sentence is a contradiction.

My philosophical and intellectual position is that there is NO WAY to tell science from pseudoscience with certainty. But I'm happily open to you changing my mind, of course.
Rubbish! You would change your mind very quickly if you were choosing between flying in a plane you knew was designed, manufactured and flown using pseudoscientific methods, and a plane you knew was designed, manufactured and flown using scientific methods. You know you’re using a computer device designed and manufactured by scientific methods, and you know there is no such device designed and manufactured by pseudoscientific methods because it wouldn’t work. Science works, pseudoscience doesn’t.

No point continuing further . . .

Last edited by ynot; 14th April 2020 at 01:55 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 01:45 PM   #108
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

What do you call a homeopath who honestly and transparently applies the rigours of the scientific method to his belief?

Answer:"The Scourge of Complimentary Medicine"

Edzard Ernst

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 02:07 PM   #109
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I beg to differ.

And, by the way, it has been noted that homeopaths tend to try to validate rather than test their hypothesis. To quote Linde and Melchart (1998). Randomized controlled trials of individualized homeopathy: a state-of-the-art review. J Altern Complement Med, Winter 1998;4(4):371-88:

Quote:
The motivation for doing trials seems less to be innovation or self-critical evaluation of performance (which is generally agreed to be the motivation for good research) but rather justification in front of a hostile scientific establishment.

Old 14th April 2020, 02:13 PM   #110
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
And, by the way, it has been noted that homeopaths tend to try to validate rather than test their hypothesis. To quote Linde and Melchart (1998). Randomized controlled trials of individualized homeopathy: a state-of-the-art review. J Altern Complement Med, Winter 1998;4(4):371-88:
With one notable exception at least..

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 02:15 PM   #111
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Hi devhdb, chiming in with others that you are trying to find a very precise line where none exists. Science, oversimplified, is a rigorous way of thinking. Pseudoscience, not so rigorous. One cod probably be the other in the right thought experiment. So roll with the rigor and watch for the lack thereof.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 03:13 PM   #112
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Fair enough.

What kind of predictions makes the String Theory? And the hypothesis of the Multiverse? Can they be falsified?
Theoretically, yes, practically, no. The major research being done in both areas right now is to find predictions that can be tested practically. They are scientific hypothesis as of now, neither is accepted as true.

Also, just as an aside, there is no such thing as "string theory". There are numerous variant string theories, such as 11d Supergravity or EO8xEO8 supersymmetry. All are currently hypotheses. IF someone is pushing them as already confirmed, then that would be pseudoscientific.

A similar applies to multiverse theories...there are more than one, and none have yet been proven.

Quote:
Or maybe are they just protosciences yet?

With a small difference: homeopathy CAN be falsified. How about String Theory and the Multiverse? Can they be considered scientific?
Homeopathy HAS been falsified. That's the difference. String theories haven't been tested, for the most part (some were excluded by tests at the LHC, but not all), so the jury is still out on those. Homeopathy has been repeatedly tested, in numerous trials, and has consistently failed to produce any positive result.

The predictions made by the various string theories haven't been disproven; they make predictions consistent with what we see. The problem there is not that they can't be tested, but that we can't define tests to choose among the various ones that are out there. All are consistent with what we know so far. Compare that to homeopathy, which has been tested, and is not consistent with either experimental results or other theories that we have tested to be true.

That's the difference. An untested hypothesis is still worth investigation, specifically to find ways to test it. A hypothesis that is clung to, long past the point of extensive, and conclusive testing, is pseudoscientific.

Quote:
Hmm... maybe we have a problem with your argumentation there...
No, not really.

Last edited by Hellbound; 14th April 2020 at 03:16 PM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 04:01 PM   #113
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Hi all,

I consider myself a true skeptic in the sense that I know that I know nothing... and even I couldn't be sure of that, may I add. :-)

My philosophical and intellectual position is that there is NO WAY to tell science from pseudoscience with certainty. But I'm happily open to you changing my mind, of course.

This is a collective didactic experiment within the community meant to learn from everyone and not to attack anyone but belief systems. Hence, please don't feel offended if your scientific paradigms are questioned for it's nothing personal.

Please, debate nicely, politely and with well manners and I'll do the same. Thanks.

Without further ado, I would like to posit you 5 questions:

1. What are the necessary and sufficient conditions so that a certain assertion, precisely defined and without any kind of ambiguity can be considered scientific vs. a pseudoscientific one? Why don't you cite ONE paper on Philosophy of Science that allows us to follow a logical, rational and consistent method to determine with certainty between science and pseudoscience, that's to say a Demarcation Criterion? -> please cite from Google Scholar.

2. In case that you affirm to be able to discern between science and pseudoscience with certainty, then: what logical, rational and consistent method do you follow to affirm whether String Theory or the Multiverse hypothesis are science or pseudoscience? Are they falseable? And, if they are falseable, how exactly? What type of observable 'datum', directly or indirectly mensurable would refute each of them?

3. What logical, rational and consistent algorithm do you follow to be able to distinguish if Matter and Consciousness are one and the same thing?

4. Can you describe the redness of red as if you were describing it to a man born with blind, from the subjective experience of a self-conscious 'I', 'emerged'? from a viscous matter called brain?

5. What degree of certainty (in percentage) would you demand from a judge to justify his sentence to you for condemning you to indemnify with $100.000 and 5 years of prison for you having slandered the honor of a certain homeopath calling her 'pseudoscientific' without justifying which Demarcation Criterion did you use to discern between Science and Pseudoscience with certainty? 70%?, 95% of certainty? What value (precisely) would leave you satisfied so that your prison sentence would be rationally justified?

My answers:

1. I DON'T KNOW.
2. I DON'T KNOW.
3. I DON'T KNOW.
4. NO.
5. I DON'T KNOW.

FAQ:

Science is what follows THE Scientific Method.

Fine.

In that case:

How do you precisely define THE Scientific Method?
Is it valid for natural sciences and for social sciences as well?

Is Falsifiability a necessary and sufficient condition for a certain assertion to be considered scientific? If not, why?

Most importantly: could you please rebut each one of Karl Popper's 3 arguments against the existence of the Scientific Method?

i.e.:

The Preface to Popper's Realism and the Aim of Science (1983)
A talk to a meeting of the Fellows of the Centre for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences at Stanford in November 1956.

“As a rule, I begin my lectures on Scientific Method by telling my students that
Scientific Method does not exist
. I add that I ought to know, having been for a time, the one and only professor of this non-existent subject within the British Commonwealth.”
—Realism and the Aim of Science, Karl Popper, p. 5

I assert that no scientific method exists in any of these three senses. To put it in a more direct way:

(1) There is no method of discovering a scientific theory.
(2) There is no method of ascertaining the truth of a scientific hypothesis, i. e., no method of verification.
(3) There is no method of ascertaining whether a hypothesis is “probable”, or probably true.

—Realism and the Aim of Science, Karl Popper, p. 6

I believe that the so-called method of science consists in this kind of criticism [severe]. Scientific theories are distinguished from myths merely in being criticizable, and in being open to modifications in the light of criticism. They can be neither verified nor probabilified.
—Realism and the Aim of Science, Karl Popper, p. 7

This alleged but non-existent method [of science] is that of collecting observations and then “drawing conclusions” from them. It is slavishly aped by some historians who believe that they can collect documentary evidence which corresponding to the observations of natural science, forms the “empirical basis” for their conclusions.

This alleged method is one that can never be put into effect: you can neither collect observations nor documentary evidence if you do not first have a problem.
—Objective Knowledge, Karl Popper, p. 186

“What do I teach my students? And how can I teach them?”

Source:
"Realism and the Aim of Science: From the Postscript to The Logic of Scientific Discovery", by Karl Popper, Routledge, 1983.
ISBN-10: 0-415-08400-8. 464 pp. Pages 5 and 6:

Extract @ Google Books: /books?id=tlowU8nS2ygC

Also:

"The theory of natural selection may be so formulated that it is far from tautological. In this case it is not only testable, but it turns out to be NOT STRICTLY UNIVERSALLY TRUE. There seem to be exceptions, as with so many biological theories; and considering the random character o f the variations on which natural selection operates, the occurrence of exceptions is not surprising. Thus not all phenomena of evolution are explained by natural selection alone. Yet in every particular case it is a challenging research program to show how far natural selection can possibly be held responsible for the evolution of a particular organ or behavioral program."

Sources:
[1] Popper, Karl (1976). Unended Quest. La Salle: Open Court. ISBN 0875483437.
[2] Autobiography, Karl Popper. "I consider darwinism as metaphysics and as a research program. It is metaphysics because it is NOT TESTABLE."
Google Books: /books?id=NyCEnehPMd8C&lpg=PP1&dq=unended ques
[3] Miller, David (1985). Popper selections. pp. 239-246. ISBN 978-0691020310.
[4] Evolutionary epistemology, rationality, and the sociology of knowledge, by Karl Popper. pp. 143-147.
Google Books: /books?id=QnFiTrCzg5oC&lpg=PA143&ots=c7x_hTlgH

Happy debate! :-)
It's like porn. I know it when I see it.

I definitely think the multiverse theory is pseudoscience at this time. And maybe String theory.

Science requires naturalistic answers that can be demonstrated consistently. But many a theory goes through a phase where the ideas have not been proven and cannot be falsified either. It seems to me you're asking what it is before it is proven. IMV As long as one is working toward proving the hypotheses, what does it matter how you label it?

As long as you are being honest and applying critical reason you are practicing the scientific method whether the results are satisfactory or not.
Old 14th April 2020, 04:28 PM   #114
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I beg to differ.

Can you provide an example of a homeopath doing such a thing? Dishonesty becomes obvious when facing hard expert scrutiny.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 04:30 PM   #115
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

It is clear to me. Khunian incommensurability at work?
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 04:33 PM   #116
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I beg to differ.

Beg whatever you like.

Since you know have implied you know what a scientists is can you provide your definition?
Old 14th April 2020, 04:34 PM   #117
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You say:

I’ll just reply on my non existent iPad.

I say:

Do you mean that science is that AND ONLY THAT *KNOWLEDGE* which produces *TECHNOLOGY*, such as an iPad? Please correct me if I'm wrong... is that your final posture?

Fine.

In that case, please, let me know:

- are Mathematics science?
- what kind of technology has produced String Theory?
- what kind of technology has produced the hypothesis of the Multiverse?

Are String Theory and/or the hypothesis of the Multiverse science of pseudoscience?

[as I already replied to Robin before: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7#post13055667 ]

Also, I would appreciate if at least ONE person here tries to answer at least ONE question out of the 5 asked on my first post.

In order to advance into this interesting debate, would you try to answer at least one of those, Darat?

Thanks. :-)

You are wrong.
Old 14th April 2020, 04:36 PM   #118
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
Thanks for reminding me that Philosophy (and the "work" of Karl Popper) is utterly worthless.
Not at all. To draw a parallel with science, a rigorously tested provocative theory that doesn’t work out (lol failing at avoiding to say falsified) is something of value when it is engaged with as Popper’s ideas have been.
Old 14th April 2020, 04:36 PM   #119
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The thing is that homeopathy has been investigated with the tools of science which is why we know it doesn’t work. It long ago stopped being anything worth investigating since we learnt it doesn’t do what it says on the tin.

Homeopathy isn’t a pseudoscience, it’s a type of claimed medical treatment that we know doesn’t work.
Old 14th April 2020, 04:39 PM   #120
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Exactly.

Science is a methodology not a thing, if one uses the scientific method to investigate anything one is doing science.

Pseudoscience is not a methodology.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy