ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd May 2020, 04:24 AM   #1
apollo16uvc
Scholar

Scanning WWII Kodachrome slides, Paris

A collection of original 35mm Kodachrome slides, taken by an allied soldier at Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxZV1zao6kk
apollo16uvc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2020, 06:47 AM   #2
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Hooray for Kodachrome. The quality and more importantly now the longevity is amazing.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2020, 06:54 PM   #3
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Hooray for Kodachrome. The quality and more importantly now the longevity is amazing.

Mama, don't take my... oh, crap, too late.
Old 2nd May 2020, 08:02 PM   #4
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely the best silver based color medium ever invented. Much better than reverse negative processes. And Ektachrome? Yuck.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:38 PM   #5
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Film sucks.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2020, 01:13 AM   #6
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Film sucks.
Invent something better, then. It's going to have to be pretty amazing to even dent the vast 35mm film industry.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2020, 02:46 AM   #7
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Invent something better, then. It's going to have to be pretty amazing to even dent the vast 35mm film industry.
I took it to mean the linked video sucks...... which it does.
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:40 AM   #8
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I took it to mean the linked video sucks...... which it does.
Ah. <blush>

Yeah, it does. But the photos themselves are rather wonderful.
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:51 AM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Is there any place to see them outside the video?
Old 3rd May 2020, 03:13 PM   #10
Elagabalus
Philosopher

chronoshistory has some interesting color movie footage.

Paris
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Hamburg
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Berlin
I AGREE

Playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1oV...gOH6f-&index=7
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 12:22 AM   #11
apollo16uvc
Scholar

The photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/steama...7713040785572/
apollo16uvc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 12:26 AM   #12
apollo16uvc
Scholar

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Film sucks.
I would appriciate more constructive criticism.
Old 4th May 2020, 01:14 AM   #13
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by apollo16uvc View Post
Too much focus on the equipment in use.
Old 4th May 2020, 01:20 AM   #14
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Too much focus on the equipment in use.
Indeed.

It feels like a commercial for the equipment or software used, instead of the subject being rescuing and digitizing of the slides.
You could show the process once (but more briefly) and then show all the results of the slides. Maybe even a bit of a 'Ken Burns Effect', to bring a bit of motion in that part of the video.
Old 4th May 2020, 05:42 AM   #15
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Indeed.

It feels like a commercial for the equipment or software used, instead of the subject being rescuing and digitizing of the slides.
You could show the process once (but more briefly) and then show all the results of the slides. Maybe even a bit of a 'Ken Burns Effect', to bring a bit of motion in that part of the video.
No, no, no! I don't mind a pan, zoom, and scan (which is what the KBE is) but the new trend is to cannibalize a photo, put it into layers, and then do a slow pan to give it a sort of 3D effect. To me, this is destroying the original (well, admittedly not the original original) photograph.
Old 4th May 2020, 05:50 AM   #16
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
No, no, no! I don't mind a pan, zoom, and scan (which is what the KBE is) but the new trend is to cannibalize a photo, put it into layers, and then do a slow pan to give it a sort of 3D effect. To me, this is destroying the original (well, admittedly not the original original) photograph.
I did mean the zoom, pan effect as used by Ken Burns in his Civil War.
And yes. I forgot about the '3D' effect, you can do with that technique. That is indeed horrible.
Old 4th May 2020, 06:16 AM   #17
erwinl
Master Poster

Alright.
Editing suggestion for the movie.

- Shot about the box and opening of it. From 0:25 till 0:32
- Shot of placing one slide in the scanning tray. Say 0:58 to 1:02
- Showing the rough scans one after each other. Max 1 seconds per slide. Maybe with a slide motion as you could see when original slides would be shown. Total 17-20 seconds.
- Shot of the editing process of one slide, for example the child with the apples. Say 1:29 till 1:48 or 1:49.
- KBE shots of the edited and color corrected slides (pan and zoom, nothing more intrusive than that!), About 3 seconds per slide. Maybe ditch a few slides that are almost the same as another one. Total time 1 minute max.
- End with the slide of the child with the apples, or the woman in green dress as pay off.

Total length of new movie about about 2 minutes.
Add an intro and an outro and it should come down to a max of about 2:15 minutes.

Certainly not saying this is a perfect editing, but this is what I would come up with.
Old 4th May 2020, 10:37 AM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks! I'm wondering now about the story behind the balloons.
Old 4th May 2020, 11:18 AM   #19
apollo16uvc
Scholar

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Alright.
Editing suggestion for the movie.

- Shot about the box and opening of it. From 0:25 till 0:32
- Shot of placing one slide in the scanning tray. Say 0:58 to 1:02
- Showing the rough scans one after each other. Max 1 seconds per slide. Maybe with a slide motion as you could see when original slides would be shown. Total 17-20 seconds.
- Shot of the editing process of one slide, for example the child with the apples. Say 1:29 till 1:48 or 1:49.
- KBE shots of the edited and color corrected slides (pan and zoom, nothing more intrusive than that!), About 3 seconds per slide. Maybe ditch a few slides that are almost the same as another one. Total time 1 minute max.
- End with the slide of the child with the apples, or the woman in green dress as pay off.

Total length of new movie about about 2 minutes.
Add an intro and an outro and it should come down to a max of about 2:15 minutes.

Certainly not saying this is a perfect editing, but this is what I would come up with.
Thanks.

Imo 3 seconds per slide is way too short... it doesn't leave any room for the viewer to take in the entire picture, move their eyes across it in their own time.

I prefer 6, looking back at the video now I would have shorten the scanning scenes and allowed more time for the pictures.

But I wanted to keep it all synchronized with the music, oh well.

This is just for showing the entire picture, and not zooming/panning, which I keep much shorter.

Last edited by apollo16uvc; 4th May 2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 4th May 2020, 11:31 AM   #20
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

A curious detail in the photo just before the balloons: the picture showing the Grecian-style church (La Madeleine?) there's a street sign on the right saying in English "Traffic Signal Ahead".

I can imagine it was worth putting up useful signs and directions for allied soldiers who were driving around the city but that seems like an oddly generic thing to warn about. Maybe traffic lights (or semaphore signals?) were still something of a novelty so drivers might not realise they had to pay attention to them.
Old 4th May 2020, 03:21 PM   #21
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Apologies, Apollo16uvc. I did not realize that you were Dutchsteammachine. Unlike some other posters here, I never intentionally try to be an opinionated uptight Douchenozzle to other members.

A9 has clearly lost his marbles! The KB 3d effect is now the defacto standard by which all docs are judged. A doc is simply not a doc without the KB 3d effect.
Old 4th May 2020, 03:59 PM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

A curious detail in the photo just before the balloons: the picture showing the Grecian-style church (La Madeleine?) there's a street sign on the right saying in English "Traffic Signal Ahead".

I can imagine it was worth putting up useful signs and directions for allied soldiers who were driving around the city but that seems like an oddly generic thing to warn about. Maybe traffic lights (or semaphore signals?) were still something of a novelty so drivers might not realise they had to pay attention to them.
Or they hadn't seen one in the months they were driving around in a combat zone instead of a major city!
Old 5th May 2020, 04:47 PM   #23
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

This is what happens if you start with decent film, then keep it in good conditions, then after scanning you do some editing to fix the colours. The YouTube did show there was a lot of work involved.
Yes I do think that the process was sponsored by certain company names shown in the video.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts