ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags artists , Christo , Christo Javacheff , obituaries

Old 2nd June 2020, 09:36 PM   #1
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

RIP Christo

It's a wrap.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 01:01 AM   #2
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It's a wrap.
Que?

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 02:44 AM   #3
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

It's a wrap.
Well done.

I was in Sydney when he wrapped up a section of the coast. Surprising in those deep, dark, repressed days of the 60s there was general support of and interest in his work.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 06:14 AM   #4
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I should add that although I couldn't resist the urge to be glib I really liked his stuff, and know a couple of people who, though skeptical at first, found his Central Park "The Gates" very effective.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:47 AM   #5
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Que?
He was a very big wrapper. (per Google)
Old 3rd June 2020, 06:43 PM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
He was a very big wrapper. (per Google)
Ah, a notorious big wrapper!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 03:57 PM   #7
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I never got it. He just sat back and watched all these people cover something up, over and over.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 04:12 PM   #8
CORed
Philosopher

I thought a lot of his stuff was a bit silly, but I will credit him with never thinking small.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 06:56 PM   #9
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I knew someone who, I think, shared with many a skepticism about his validity as an artist, but also, like many apparently, changed her mind when she actually went to Central Park and walked through his installation there.

There's a certain sort of art that is hard to define, but that makes sense when you're actually in it.

I recall many years ago, in Hartford, CT, an artist got a big grant to do an outdoor sculpture in the yard of a large apartment complex, and he made what seemed a simple arrangement of huge boulders, which he had chosen and procured and moved at considerable expense. Howls and uproars erupted and letters to the paper blossomed as people condemned the artist and the host and the gullibility of everyone concerned. Eventually the furor died down, and a little later, it became apparent that people really liked it. In some way not entirely definable, it made sense and it became a part of what the park was about.

A few years ago a local artist got a fairly small grant to arrange a substantial set of reflectors over a couple of miles in the median of a local highway, and all sorts of fuss was again raised about wasted money and con artists and whatnot. But when she was done, the experience of driving along that stretch of road really was different. Many were sorry that it ended up temporary.

Not too long before that my wife and I went to a museum that included a show of sculpture by someone named Ursula von Rydingsvard (I think spelled that way). It was entirely abstract, seeming nearly abitrary, laminated wood formed coarsely with a chainsaw, I think. At the entrance was what looked like a giant spoon, and I thought, "oh no, some kind of sententious feminist symbolism...." but inside were a variety of strange objects, arranged in such a way that we found it truly impossible not to walk around them and look at them and into them from al angles. The message may have been in an indecipherable tongue, but it was loud and clear. Whether you understood it or not, there was no doubt that we were in a room full of art.

So yeah, I like art that challenges you to think about why it's art, and I liked Christo.

Last edited by bruto; 4th June 2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 5th June 2020, 10:07 AM   #10
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I knew someone who, I think, shared with many a skepticism about his validity as an artist, but also, like many apparently, changed her mind when she actually went to Central Park and walked through his installation there.

There's a certain sort of art that is hard to define, but that makes sense when you're actually in it.

I recall many years ago, in Hartford, CT, an artist got a big grant to do an outdoor sculpture in the yard of a large apartment complex, and he made what seemed a simple arrangement of huge boulders, which he had chosen and procured and moved at considerable expense. Howls and uproars erupted and letters to the paper blossomed as people condemned the artist and the host and the gullibility of everyone concerned. Eventually the furor died down, and a little later, it became apparent that people really liked it. In some way not entirely definable, it made sense and it became a part of what the park was about.

A few years ago a local artist got a fairly small grant to arrange a substantial set of reflectors over a couple of miles in the median of a local highway, and all sorts of fuss was again raised about wasted money and con artists and whatnot. But when she was done, the experience of driving along that stretch of road really was different. Many were sorry that it ended up temporary.

Not too long before that my wife and I went to a museum that included a show of sculpture by someone named Ursula von Rydingsvard (I think spelled that way). It was entirely abstract, seeming nearly abitrary, laminated wood formed coarsely with a chainsaw, I think. At the entrance was what looked like a giant spoon, and I thought, "oh no, some kind of sententious feminist symbolism...." but inside were a variety of strange objects, arranged in such a way that we found it truly impossible not to walk around them and look at them and into them from al angles. The message may have been in an indecipherable tongue, but it was loud and clear. Whether you understood it or not, there was no doubt that we were in a room full of art.

So yeah, I like art that challenges you to think about why it's art, and I liked Christo.
Along similar lines the City of Toronto renovated a parking lot some years back and turned it into a parkette; the main feature of which is a huge boulder bought, transported and "installed" at great expense. There was a moderate outcry at the time (in which I participated because it reduced the number of parking spaces in an area in which I frequently parked) that died down and the chunk-'o-granite is tolerated, if not loved, these days.

Ah. Here it is:

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2...orkville_park/

My memory turns out to be mostly correct.
Old 5th June 2020, 08:48 PM   #11
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

There is a lot installation art I like. This, not so much. Same with the guy photographing heaps of nude people. Like, didn't you do that last time?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2020, 06:48 AM   #12
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
There is a lot installation art I like. This, not so much. Same with the guy photographing heaps of nude people. Like, didn't you do that last time?
I think the concept here is that more is better. Frustrates Minimalists all to Hell.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts