ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th May 2019, 07:02 PM   #1
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Testing Receptivity to Pseudo-Profound ********

Improbable Research (the group that hosts the Ig Nobel Prizes) has released details about a new report:

Finding meaning in the clouds: Illusory pattern perception predicts receptivity to pseudo-profound ******** in Judgment and Decision Making, Vol. 14, No. 2, March 2019, pp. 109-119.

Here's the link:

https://www.improbable.com/2019/05/0...***-new-study/

But you'll have to replace the asterisks with the word that is being blanked out by the autocensor. I'm sure you can guess what that word is - it's what comes out of the back end of a bull.
Old 6th May 2019, 08:38 PM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Methane? Rump roast?
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will

Last edited by shemp; 6th May 2019 at 08:40 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 09:07 PM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

No, ********.
Old 6th May 2019, 09:32 PM   #4
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting, but I'm not entirely convinced that they have it right way around. I don't doubt that people who are receptive to pseudo-profund bovine excrement are also quite likely to see things in a random pattern, but I'm not equally convinced that seeing things is the key so much as believing they're not random. Many people see images in nonsense, and realize what they are, without being duped into thinking they're on purpose. Of course this is probably a bogus test anyway, because it's obvious there's a tiger in the picture!

It's also possible that my brain is messed up today. There's a lot of pollen in the air and it's making me sneeze.

manure cart1.jpg

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 09:39 PM   #5
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
There's a lot of pollen in the air and it's making me sneeze.

Me too, in recent weeks, and medical science has confirmed that it's not a random pattern I'm seeing!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 09:41 PM   #6
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
No, ********.

I was surprised when I discovered that one can't even link to Wikipedia's article about Penn & Teller's series ********!
'What is the name of a well-known TV documentary series with and by Penn & Teller - without the exclamation mark?'
Good that your first link works!

About thirty years ago, the host of a Danish television station was asked why they still used words and phrases in the news that many people didn't understand. He explained that they had tried 'dumbing down' the language to make it easier to understand for functional illiterates (or is it virtual illiterates?). However, they found out that people were actually more likely to put trust in them if they used words that people didn't understand.
This makes me think that there is probably also an element of authoritarian thinking involved:
'I don't really understand what they're saying, but it sounds clever so it must be true.'
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 6th May 2019 at 10:00 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 03:32 AM   #7
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
functional illiterates[/i] (or is it virtual illiterates?). However, they found out that people were actually more likely to put trust in them if they used words that people didn't understand.
This makes me think that there is probably also an element of authoritarian thinking involved:
'I don't really understand what they're saying, but it sounds clever so it must be true.'
I think this is an important part of the influence of certain political figures in the UK at the moment, Johnson and Rees-Mogg spring to mind. People don't tend to look at their actual lack of achievement/catalogue of lies and failures, and instead are impressed by their classical references and pretentious language. That fact that a hallmark of intelligence and clear think is effective communication tends to get lost...

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 02:16 PM   #8
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Interesting, but I'm not entirely convinced that they have it right way around. I don't doubt that people who are receptive to pseudo-profund bovine excrement are also quite likely to see things in a random pattern, but I'm not equally convinced that seeing things is the key so much as believing they're not random. Many people see images in nonsense, and realize what they are, without being duped into thinking they're on purpose. Of course this is probably a bogus test anyway, because it's obvious there's a tiger in the picture!

It's also possible that my brain is messed up today. There's a lot of pollen in the air and it's making me sneeze.

Attachment 40073
I see Jar Jar Binks!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 05:17 PM   #9
cosmicaug
Muse

From the article:
Quote:
BONUS for PPBS researchers : There are (at least) two online facilities which can generate PPBS for your experiments. See : wisdomofchopra.com and sebpearce.com
I would add wisdomofpeterson.com/ to those two.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:24 PM   #10
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Isn't the whole study pseudo-profound BS itself?

Not sure if self-referential "irony" or if it's seriously taking itself seriously.

Sure uses way too many words to tell us what we all know: People are always "seeing things".

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 14th May 2019 at 10:25 PM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:31 PM   #11
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Isn't the whole study pseudo-profound BS itself?
I considered that, but I don't think that is the case. However, the study seems to have limited value. It basically says that people who find patterns in a random series also find meaning in random words. I think that would be expected.

Note that the type of BS they are talking about is not the type that you get from the shady used car salesman who will say anything to sell you a car or even many cases of the woo-woo peddler explaining how some paranormal thing works.

The type of BS studied is meaningless words that sound like they might mean...something. It is not the type of BS where somebody is trying to convince somebody of something in particular, but rather only to convince somebody that the words have some (unspecific) profound meaning.
Old 15th May 2019, 08:29 AM   #12
cosmicaug
Muse

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
The type of BS studied is meaningless words that sound like they might mean...something. It is not the type of BS where somebody is trying to convince somebody of something in particular, but rather only to convince somebody that the words have some (unspecific) profound meaning.
The term Daniel Dennett tried to coin for this was "deepity", if I am not mistaken.
Old 15th May 2019, 08:32 AM   #13
Wudang
BOFH

OP's link via bitly link
Old 15th May 2019, 09:00 AM   #14
cosmicaug
Muse

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
OP's link via bitly link
Yup, that's a very annoying "feature" of the autocensor. Is it possible to request a feature of vBulletin that they allow the autocensor to disregard text between URL BB Code tags?
Old 15th May 2019, 09:14 AM   #15
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I see Jar Jar Binks!
I saw a photo of a car's engine bay on Facebook today and it asked me to tag it with a name. It drew a helpful square around what it had decided was a face, which seemed to have two ports in a manifold gasket for eyes.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 04:48 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Yup, that's a very annoying "feature" of the autocensor. Is it possible to request a feature of vBulletin that they allow the autocensor to disregard text between URL BB Code tags?
Possibly in newer versions of vBulletin. This forum runs on software that is quite frankly antiquated.
Old 16th May 2019, 10:18 AM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Possibly in newer versions of vBulletin. This forum runs on software that is quite frankly antiquated.
Antiquated? How very dare you! We've long passed antiquated, we're prehistoric now!
Old 16th May 2019, 02:59 PM   #18
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Well as I understand it, the problem is more that ad-hoc custom revisions have been made and nobody seems to know what those are, who made them and why and this creates a problem. Whoever created/programmed/installed those modifications to the software has long since vanished into the tall grass.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 05:10 AM   #19
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Well as I understand it, the problem is more that ad-hoc custom revisions have been made and nobody seems to know what those are, who made them and why and this creates a problem. Whoever created/programmed/installed those modifications to the software has long since vanished into the tall grass.
Was it girl6? I'd be willing to have a crack at it but we're under crazy pressure to deliver the next few weeks.
Old 18th May 2019, 03:23 AM   #20
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Nope, I'm still here and with a little bit of research could work out why I did what I did when I did it. (I deleted all my backups and JREF related files when the JREF..... Er... sacked (being polite) the mod team.) However I no longer have direct access to the server which would be required to do any significant changes.
Old 20th May 2019, 01:54 AM   #21
Wudang
BOFH

Anecdote: A friend of mine has a degree in semiotics. I sent him a link to web page with a dada generator building postmodernist articles from scratch. He was rather impressed, said the page had a couple of possible PhD papers in it but why did I send him the link. I told him to refresh the page and told him how the page worked. He was a web designer so got it. He was rather embarrassed.

I think this might be it : http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/pomo/
Old 20th May 2019, 05:42 PM   #22
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Anecdote: A friend of mine has a degree in semiotics. I sent him a link to web page with a dada generator building postmodernist articles from scratch. He was rather impressed, said the page had a couple of possible PhD papers in it but why did I send him the link. I told him to refresh the page and told him how the page worked. He was a web designer so got it. He was rather embarrassed.

I think this might be it : http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/pomo/
That's good fun. I like the time cube generator too.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 12:37 AM   #23
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

We canít say ******** and yet members are allowed to use language like this:

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I see Jar Jar Binks!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal