ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th May 2019, 12:46 PM   #921
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Still remember the company song? Yes, really!
I remember "Compaq People".
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 12:51 PM   #922
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It's been a really long week. I've been resetting passwords in my sleep.

https://i.imgur.com/ObXfxc5.jpg
Yeah, I remember recovering and reinstalling Exchange in my dreams too.
I woke up screaming and had some difficult explaining to do.

Though (on a slightly more serious note) I once spent three hours on the phone walking someone though the installation of Cisco Works, SNMPc, AND and MRTG, plus linking them together with scripts, that (due to significant intake of valium and codeine) I have no recollection of.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 06:30 PM   #923
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I had another one today where all I did was remote assist the computer and start fiddling with things until the caller said "That's it! You fixed it!"

60% knowledge, 30% Google, 10% improvisation.
Old 21st May 2019, 07:18 PM   #924
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I had another one today where all I did was remote assist the computer and start fiddling with things until the caller said "That's it! You fixed it!"

What third-party app did they secretly install that you had to uninstall to make it work?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 07:47 PM   #925
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

What third-party app did they secretly install that you had to uninstall to make it work?
No, it was view settings in Outlook which weren't the way they were used to. I mucked around with the settings and for some reason while I was mucking, the view reset itself back to the default.
Old 21st May 2019, 07:57 PM   #926
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

No, it was view settings in Outlook which weren't the way they were used to. I mucked around with the settings and for some reason while I was mucking, the view reset itself back to the default.
...there's a View Reset button on the View ribbon...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 08:01 PM   #927
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

...there's a View Reset button on the View ribbon...
Yeah, I know. That didn't work. Only changing to Preview view and then back to Calendar view worked. It was a bit weird actually.
Old 21st May 2019, 09:23 PM   #928
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Yeah, I know. That didn't work. Only changing to Preview view and then back to Calendar view worked. It was a bit weird actually.
Hmmm... That sounds like someone dicking about with their Calendar view and then being unable (or forgetting) to reset it.
Old 21st May 2019, 09:36 PM   #929
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Hmmm... That sounds like someone dicking about with their Calendar view and then being unable (or forgetting) to reset it.
It would, except that the actual problem was that the right sidebar was displaying, but it had no content. Where the To-Do Bar would normally be was a blank white space. And it had done that since the user had a Profile reset. It wasn't just user error.
Old 21st May 2019, 09:41 PM   #930
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

It would, except that the actual problem was that the right sidebar was displaying, but it had no content. Where the To-Do Bar would normally be was a blank white space. And it had done that since the user had a Profile reset. It wasn't just user error.
Yep, that's weird. Changing the To Do selection didn't help?
Old 21st May 2019, 09:44 PM   #931
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yep, that's weird. Changing the To Do selection didn't help?
Nope. Didn't even get the little x to close the panel.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM   #932
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I walked to an office where the 'top of the windows' weren't showing. And yes that was true off all the Windows.
So I went to display settings, changed the resolution and then let it revert back.
It worked!

I have not a clue as why.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #933
JimOfAllTrades
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
I walked to an office where the 'top of the windows' weren't showing. And yes that was true off all the Windows.
So I went to display settings, changed the resolution and then let it revert back.
It worked!

I have not a clue as why.
I had a user with a laptop connected to an external monitor. Once in a while when he connected the monitor the windows desktop didn't fit correctly on the monitor, the top and sides were cut off. I never did find a problem in windows, but found out that if I powered cycled the monitor (not the laptop), it would come back up and during the auto-search for a video signal it would fix itself.
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #934
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Computers are supposed to be these predictable machines that do only what people tell them to do and nothing else. That was true in the 50s but today the things that people tell them to do are so complex that they are chaotic, and computers can and do sometimes behave unpredictably. That's why the 10% improvisation will always be a part of any computer support, and why it's a position that will probably not be taken over by artificial intelligence.
Old Today, 06:37 AM   #935
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The complete text and context of a trouble call I just received: Spelling, grammar, and punctuation left as it was.

"they saw a cockroach and in the mist of killing and following it unplugged a few things"
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet