ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 05:51 AM   #1921
Worm
Master Poster

Certainly something of a contrast to his statement on appointing Tillerson:

“among the most accomplished business leaders and international deal makers in the world”

“His tenacity, broad experience and deep understanding of geopolitics make him an excellent choice for secretary of state. He will promote regional stability and focus on the core national security interests of the United States.”

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:52 AM   #1922
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
How does Trump know what Putin will or won't agree to?
Trump "thinks" he's the one playing Putin.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; Today at 05:58 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:53 AM   #1923
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Certainly something of a contrast to his statement on appointing Tillerson:

“among the most accomplished business leaders and international deal makers in the world”

“His tenacity, broad experience and deep understanding of geopolitics make him an excellent choice for secretary of state. He will promote regional stability and focus on the core national security interests of the United States.”
That was before he found out he was as dumb as a rock.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:58 AM   #1924
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Rex Tillerson, a man who is ďdumb as a rockĒ and totally ill prepared and ill equipped to be Secretary of State, made up a story (he got fired) that I was out-prepared by Vladimir Putin at a meeting in Hamburg, Germany. I donít think Putin would agree. Look how the U.S. is doing!
"Da. I vill agree det Comrade, I mean President, Trump vas wery, wery, prepared for our meetink. Heh, heh, heh."
Old Today, 07:17 AM   #1925
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

If you want to understand the whole Deutsche Bank thing, the latest two podcasts from The Daily and Trump, Inc both do a deep dive and help explain a lot. Thought quite a bit of overlap.
Old Today, 07:47 AM   #1926
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Rex Tillerson, a man who is “dumb as a rock” and totally ill prepared and ill equipped to be Secretary of State, made up a story (he got fired) that I was out-prepared by Vladimir Putin at a meeting in Hamburg, Germany. I don’t think Putin would agree. Look how the U.S. is doing!

'Tillerson says i have the worst apples, but look at this awesome orange! Putin, tell them how great my orange is.'

Americans... look what thou hath wrought. Please unwrought this. It's not like he's going to suddenly stop tweeting once he's no longer president, so we'll still be able to sit and shake our heads at him most days as we slowly wean ourselves off watching this daily train wreck, but at least we won't have to worry about one of the cars veering loose and crashing into us bystanders.

As it is I'm not convinced that the orange he's so proud of is growing from a tree planted in the kind of soil it needs.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #1927
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post

'Tillerson says i have the worst apples, but look at this awesome orange! Putin, tell them how great my orange is.'

Americans... look what thou hath wrought. Please unwrought this. It's not like he's going to suddenly stop tweeting once he's no longer president, so we'll still be able to sit and shake our heads at him most days as we slowly wean ourselves off watching this daily train wreck, but at least we won't have to worry about one of the cars veering loose and crashing into us bystanders.

As it is I'm not convinced that the orange he's so proud of is growing from a tree planted in the kind of soil it needs.
I think worrying about the cars veering off is the main draw. Once that's off the table, your enthusiasm for Trump will evaporate. A month after he leaves office, you'll be struggling to remember why you ever bothered to follow his tweets at all.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:53 AM   #1928
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I do wonder if at times an Id driven President in the modern social media age is just one of those things were were going to have to deal with sooner or later.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:33 AM   #1929
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it looks like at least 2 banks have turned over their trump-related records to congress.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/23/well...-congress.html
A key congressional committee has already gained access to President Donald Trump’s dealings with two major financial institutions...Wells Fargo and TD Bank are the two of nine institutions that have so far complied with subpoenas issued by the House Financial Services Committee demanding information about their dealings with the Trump Organization...

Not really sure how relevant those records will be. (Trump's dealings with Deutsche seem to take center stage.) But maybe Trump dealt with them before all his bankruptcies made him persona non grata for North American banks. Or maybe they have evidence that he tried to scam them before switching to Deutsche bank.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:43 AM   #1930
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I donít see that this changed at all under Trump. I think the only thing he did was change the makeup of the court.
Oh? Was Kennedy a stalwart partisan because he was nominated by Reagan?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:48 AM   #1931
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think worrying about the cars veering off is the main draw. Once that's off the table, your enthusiasm for Trump will evaporate. A month after he leaves office, you'll be struggling to remember why you ever bothered to follow his tweets at all.
...yes, once this idiot no longer has the power to do stupid things, no one will care what stupid things he says. People care about the stupid things he says because he can and does do really stupid things.

And, FWIW, the stupid things Trump tweets will likely be his legacy; a warning to future voters that when people say Trump-like stupid things, you shouldn't allow them anywhere near an elected office. At least, until he's so far in the past that people forget history and it repeats itself.
Old Today, 09:06 AM   #1932
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
...yes, once this idiot no longer has the power to do stupid things, no one will care what stupid things he says. People care about the stupid things he says because he can and does do really stupid things.

And, FWIW, the stupid things Trump tweets will likely be his legacy; a warning to future voters that when people say Trump-like stupid things, you shouldn't allow them anywhere near an elected office. At least, until he's so far in the past that people forget history and it repeats itself.
It won't have to be the distant past. His current supporters forget what Trump said or did yesterday. We have some of them on this forum arguing that Trump didn't say things that we have video of him saying.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:08 AM   #1933
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Its precious listening to Trump saying that Tillerson is dumb. He's so stupid that he can't even spell IQ.
Old Today, 09:10 AM   #1934
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Its precious listening to Trump saying that Tillerson is dumb. He's so stupid that he can't even spell IQ.
He can't pronounce ogirins* origins, either.

*: I really did muck up the spelling on the first try and I thought the irony was good enough to leave it there.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #1935
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Q: Who would have thought that being President could be so complicated?

A: everyone who didn't vote for Trump.
Old Today, 09:21 AM   #1936
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Actually, I think Trump has proved that being President really is that simple.

Being a good or effective President, on the other hand...
Old Today, 09:29 AM   #1937
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
What would you say is the really stupidest thing Trump has done while in office?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:31 AM   #1938
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty sure a major cause of TDS is all the people who thought that getting the president they wanted was a simple as: nominate Hillary. Confronted with the complexity and nuance of what actually happens, they're trying to reduce it back down to something simple that they can wrap their minds around: Orange Man Bad.
Old Today, 09:35 AM   #1939
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

What would you say is the really stupidest thing Trump has done while in office?
For him personally:
Fire Comey the way he did.

For the US:
Pull out of the Iran deal
Old Today, 09:36 AM   #1940
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The only TDS is the delusion that Trump is actually doing any work as President.
Old Today, 09:42 AM   #1941
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

For the US:
I'd put that at number 3 with pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement and slapping tariffs on all and sundry without having the slightest understanding of how they work at 1 and 2.
Old Today, 09:45 AM   #1942
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'd put that at number 3 with pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement and slapping tariffs on all and sundry without having the slightest understanding of how they work at 1 and 2.
Those are far easier to reverse, but the US has permanently lost all credibility for negotiating with ascending nuclear powers.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; Today at 09:47 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:46 AM   #1943
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

For him personally:
Fire Comey the way he did.

For the US:
More for him personally:
  • Pushing for a repeal of the ACA with no plan to replace it
  • Waging his war on the American press
  • Waging his war on the US Intelligence community, in favor of what Putin tells him.

More for the US list:
  • Distancing the US from our long-time allies
  • Removing sanctions on Russia and Russian oligarchs
  • His tax cuts aimed primarily at the super rich
  • Taking no steps to protect the US election system from Russian influence

In no particular order nor complete in any way. They're all stupid in different ways. Which is the most stupid? *shrug* Take your pick.
Old Today, 09:48 AM   #1944
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Ah, I forgot his tariff war. So much stupidity, it's hard to keep straight.
Old Today, 09:51 AM   #1945
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Trump keeps proving that he is incompetent squared. His unwillingness to do his job makes him the most incapacitated President since Woodrow Wilson after the stroke.
Old Today, 09:52 AM   #1946
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Trump keeps proving that he is incompetent squared. His unwillingness to do his job makes him the most incapacitated President since Woodrow Wilson after the stroke.
He's fractally stupid.

Old Today, 09:55 AM   #1947
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Not hardening US election systems is very bad for the country, but it is very good for him.
Old Today, 09:58 AM   #1948
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
It's true though. I bet none of his ancestors were legal immigrants to the US.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:59 AM   #1949
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Trump is soooooo incompetent!"
"Trump is da stoopid!"
"Trump is the least effective, dumbest President evaaaar!"
"Trump can't do anything LOLZ"

THEN WHY THE **** IS HE WINNING?

The Democrats are talking about how the person they just had the big bout with is the worst boxer that's ever existed and couldn't beat a fly on his best day... but they are the ones on the mat looking up at the ceiling.
Old Today, 10:00 AM   #1950
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Trump is da stoopid!"
"Trump is the least effective, dumbest President evaaaar!"
"Trump can't do anything LOLZ"

Except none of those things are mutually-exclusive.

And what's he winning, exactly, aside from the presidency itself?

Old Today, 10:02 AM   #1951
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Except none of those things are mutually-exclusive.

And what's he winning, exactly, aside from the presidency itself?
2, probably 3 before he's out of office Supreme Court Justices.

Literally... everything he's wanted he's gotten.

The Presidency itself since that's not like some small little side hustle.
Old Today, 10:04 AM   #1952
Belz...
Fiend God

2, probably 3 before he's out of office Supreme Court Justices.
That automatically comes with the job, so it's not aside from it. Was there ever any doubt that regardless of who the President was, the GOP would get some pretty hard-line SCOTUS judges?

Quote:
Literally... everything he's wanted he's gotten.
Again, like what? Aside from one tax cut he's pretty much done nothing major.

Old Today, 10:15 AM   #1953
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

There is so much to choose from. His whiney little bitch act he pulled yesterday was pretty stupid.

Remember, Trump was going to be the '"infrastructure President". Please, please tell me what Trump has done for infrastructure since taking office? I bet he can't spell "infrastructure" He was also supposedly a great deal maker. What deals has Trump negotiated?

You keep defending this turd. I keep wondering why? Do you really think he's making this country better?
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #1954
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

"Trump is da stoopid!"
For the same reason that Forest Gump "Won".

I've said it before... I think Trump is a forest-gump like character, who has found success not because he's intelligent or particularly skilled, but simply due of luck.

- He was born into a wealthy family; that provided both money and financial contacts early in his life. If he was born into a middle-class family, he would not be "rich" (if he actually is rich), he'd be working at McDonalds, asking people "would you like a large fries with that? They're YUGE!".

- The republican nomination was won due to the "clown-car" nature of the primaries. (Having so many candidates meant that he could win a primary despite having far less than a majority of votes)

- The election was won due to a combination of Russian interference, the nature of the electoral college, and the Republicans and Fox News effectively demonizing Clinton. Had any of those factors been different he would likely not be president.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics