IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political predictions , prediction thread , Trump controversies

Old 9th June 2019, 08:42 PM   #41
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Trump won't be impeached. Obama wasn't and he's not even an American citizen. Trump will be President until 2024.

OK, I've now upgraded your status to troll.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 11:51 PM   #42
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Trump won't be impeached. Obama wasn't and he's not even an American citizen. Trump will be President until 2024 2026.
You forgot the extra 2 years to make up for the Russia investigation hoax!
Old 10th June 2019, 12:12 AM   #43
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

At some point he's going to use the "Investigate the investigators" thing to boost his "ratings" with his base in a major way. He might be waiting for impeachment to fully utilize it.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 02:32 AM   #44
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I hope I'm wrong, but Trump will use Barr to imprison his political enemies.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 04:22 AM   #45
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but Trump will use Barr to imprison his political enemies.
I think Barr is kinda a Trump lackey, but I'm not close to convinced he'd go that far. I agree Trump's probably going to try for that, though.

eta:
I think if Barr's intent was to make this basically a show-trial to imprison Trump's enemies, he would have picked someone other than this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.6d22feee4303

Quote:
Durham comes to the job with what is by almost all accounts a sterling decades-long career as a prosecutor. Though he was nominated to his current post as the U.S. attorney for Connecticut by President Trump, he has been selected by both Republican and Democratic administrations to conduct high-profile investigations involving alleged wrongdoing by the federal government.

After Bill Clinton’s attorney general, Janet Reno, selected him for the Boston mob case, George W. Bush’s attorney general, Michael Mukasey, picked him in 2008 to look into the destruction of CIA interrogation tapes. The next year, Barack Obama’s attorney general, Eric Holder, expanded Durham’s probe to look into potential criminal charges against CIA officials who employed “enhanced interrogation techniques.”
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by kellyb; 10th June 2019 at 04:33 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 05:59 AM   #46
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
If not tied down soon with impeachment proceedings, political calculus will indicate war with Iran as the surest bet for reelection, even if by a squeaker.
That concerns me as well. But it would need to happen fairly soon. He would need to be seen as "the President who is leading us in a campaign" (wherein expressing dissent is intolerable because "the troops" need to be supported) come Election Day.
Not, "the president who is about to get us into another pointless war" on the eve of the election.
Old 10th June 2019, 07:49 AM   #47
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

On his 77th birthday, he will present proof that he has solved the Riemann hypothesis,
thus avoiding the wear and tear on the minds that most occupants of the office experience.

An example from a dozen years ago.

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
Don't ask what happened to Schrodinger's dog.
Solitaire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 09:22 AM   #48
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I so hope you are correct, not death but heavy lingering pain . And loss of ability to communicate functionally.
I don't wish him pain - he is already tormented, IMO - but the loss of ability to bloviate would be most welcome.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 10:06 AM   #49
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The PDJT will punch back at Fox News host Laura Ingraham for calling him out on a lie about his holding up a D-Day ceremony by doing an interview with her.
Trump said, "I'm holding them up" to do the interview with Ingraham. She did call it a lie afterwards, fake news, but she didn't call him out - she made it sound like some other media outlet had said it. And maybe they did. (In which case they shouldn't have said "Trump held up the ceremonies," but "Trump claimed he was holding up the ceremonies.") But I don't think Ingraham can deny to herself that he told a big whopper right to her face.

IMO a lot of media animus to Trump is based on that fact that he's burned so many journalists/presenters personally. It's probably inevitable that he'll alienate a few more at Fox.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 10:34 AM   #50
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

That falls into prediction category. The problem is, Fox is all-in with him. So even if he does alienate a few people, what's their alternative? Well, there's Pence. Regrettably Trump's health may force Pence to fill in during busy times on a strictly temporary basis ...

Last edited by Minoosh; 10th June 2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Garble, partial dupe
Old 10th June 2019, 10:42 AM   #51
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe Trump will have a CVA that miraculously cancels out his NPD. He will suddenly be unable to lie. Much hilarity will ensue, especially when he is re-elected with Democratic control of the House and Senate. He will tell entitled American losers to man up about the immigrant "threat," he will happily sign single-payer UHS because he actually always did want to take care of people (not sarcastic, and it's cheaper) and he'll say it's unconscionable to outlaw first-trimester abortion (and he's paid for more than one, "believe me.")

He will go down in history as the greatest American president.

Oops, got carried away there.

ETA: He will end the federal prohibition on cannabis.

Last edited by Minoosh; 10th June 2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10th June 2019, 11:06 AM   #52
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't wish him pain - he is already tormented, IMO - but the loss of ability to bloviate would be most welcome.
Of course impeachment and imprisonment are possibilities, but what I'd really like to see is his total humiliation, something even he can't smirk his way out of.
Old 10th June 2019, 11:22 AM   #53
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Of course impeachment and imprisonment are possibilities, but what I'd really like to see is his total humiliation, something even he can't smirk his way out of.
I just want him to stop talking.

But then, it was a slow time at ISF with him out of the country so much. Now that he's tweeting again like a person with Tourette's who's been holding in his tics, there's more to talk about.
Old 10th June 2019, 12:18 PM   #54
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I predict he will die sometime in the next 40 years.
Old 10th June 2019, 03:36 PM   #55
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I do like the idea of doctoring up a photo and releasing it on the internet. A normal head of state would simply ignore it. President Trump? Who knows?

And before the Trump supporters go bananas, let me quote the unwavering S. Sanders and say “he was joking.”
I'm reminded of a story I once heard about LBJ. During a campaign, he suggested to an aide that they start a rumor that his opponent has sex with pigs. The aide said, "We can't prove that". LBJ replied, "We don't have to prove it. We just have to get him to deny it."

I think a fake photo of Trump having crapped himself is much the same, and his denial will get more news coverage than the photo.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 04:30 PM   #56
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I'm reminded of a story I once heard about LBJ. During a campaign, he suggested to an aide that they start a rumor that his opponent has sex with pigs. The aide said, "We can't prove that". LBJ replied, "We don't have to prove it. We just have to get him to deny it."

I think a fake photo of Trump having crapped himself is much the same, and his denial will get more news coverage than the photo.
The Pee Pee Tape Gambit failed the first time, but it'll make a difference this time?
Old 10th June 2019, 06:48 PM   #57
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post

It's a clever enough idea in the abstract, but I don't think it works that way in reality. The picture of Trump having crapped himself really was fake. He did not have to deny it himself. It was done for him, and probably just added to his ability to say it's all fake news.

If you want to stand up for truth, lying is a poor technique.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 07:10 PM   #58
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I predict Trump will cause a crisis, then solve the crisis by undoing what he did, and then claim that he is a hero that solved a crisis that was there all along.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 07:22 PM   #59
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I predict Trump will cause say there is a crisis, then solve the crisis by undoing what he did saying he did, and then claim that he is a hero that solved a crisis that was there all along.
Slightly FTFY. Now look at the latest Mexico tariffs thing. Bingo, you win.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 07:25 PM   #60
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
But I don't think Ingraham can deny to herself that he told a big whopper right to her face.
Yeah she can.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 07:46 PM   #61
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I think Barr is kinda a Trump lackey, but I'm not close to convinced he'd go that far. I agree Trump's probably going to try for that, though.

eta:
I think if Barr's intent was to make this basically a show-trial to imprison Trump's enemies, he would have picked someone other than this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.6d22feee4303
I don't think prosecuting real crimes is analogous.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 07:51 PM   #62
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I predict Trump will cause a crisis, then solve the crisis by undoing what he did, and then claim that he is a hero that solved a crisis that was there all along.
Generic Trump. I like it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 08:25 PM   #63
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump will make his monument to racism, The Wall, an issue again coming into the 2020 elections. Also, there will be another invading caravan as well. He'll talk about how they will have a yuge tax cut for the middle class that will come AFTER the 2020 elections.

Last edited by thaiboxerken; 10th June 2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10th June 2019, 08:38 PM   #64
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It's a clever enough idea in the abstract, but I don't think it works that way in reality. The picture of Trump having crapped himself really was fake. He did not have to deny it himself. It was done for him, and probably just added to his ability to say it's all fake news.

If you want to stand up for truth, lying is a poor technique.
If it had truly happened, he would be denying it himself. Otherwise, there's no lying involved, and where's the fun in that?
Old 10th June 2019, 08:40 PM   #65
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

When things get bad for him (again), we'll go back to hearing about her emails.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:52 AM   #66
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I don't suppose this qualifies as a "prediction" because I'm not saying it's more likely than the alternative... but I will at least not be at all surprised if he does not actually end up running for re-election.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 07:33 AM   #67
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Yesterday, 10:40 PM
Well, that didn't take long... Between this and the Tweetstorm this morning, he must be feeling the heat.

Quote:
6:25 AM - 11 Jun 2019
“Jerry Nadler’s Trump Bashing Show Is A Bust.” Headline, New York Post. @foxandfriends The Greatest Witch Hunt of all time continues. All crimes were by the other side, but the Committee refuses to even take a look. Deleting 33,000 Emails is the real Obstruction - and much more!

Last edited by alfaniner; 11th June 2019 at 07:34 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 10:23 AM   #68
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that didn't take long... Between this and the Tweetstorm this morning, he must be feeling the heat.
Predicting Trump will bring up the Clinton emails is like saying he'll tweet 'NO COLLUSION, NO OBSTRUCTION!" or "WITCH HUNT!" sometime during the coming week.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 10:47 AM   #69
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Predicting Trump will bring up the Clinton emails is like saying he'll tweet 'NO COLLUSION, NO OBSTRUCTION!" or "WITCH HUNT!" sometime during the coming week.
This Halloween Trump will overenthusiastically devour a cupcake topped with a nonedible plastic ornament. He will subsequently tweet the colonoscopy of the witch hunt to see if there's any obstruction. This will be criticized as unnecessary because in cases of swallowed witches all you need is a fecal occult blood test.
Old 11th June 2019, 11:08 AM   #70
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I don't suppose this qualifies as a "prediction" because I'm not saying it's more likely than the alternative... but I will at least not be at all surprised if he does not actually end up running for re-election.
He's been running -- officially, no less -- since the day he took office. The only way he doesn't run is if croaks or just declares martial law and cancels the election.
Old 11th June 2019, 12:51 PM   #71
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sidenote: In the House they are giving little speeches about the subpoenas, GOP and Democrats alternating. The GOP legislators are still ranting about the witch hunt, Strzok and Page's text messages, the fake dossier, and Hillary's emails.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th June 2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11th June 2019, 12:55 PM   #72
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He's been running -- officially, no less -- since the day he took office. The only way he doesn't run is if croaks or just declares martial law and cancels the election.
Which makes it particularly odd that he's planning a formal announcement that he's running in 2020. I thought he did that the day after the election.

Should I predict he rides down the escalator again?
Old 11th June 2019, 12:56 PM   #73
jeremyp
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
|He might not run if the polls show he is very unlikely to win. I don't think it's very likely , but I do think his ego is such that a big defeat could not be stomached.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 02:13 PM   #74
Donal
Philosopher

I predict Clarence Thomas will announce his retirement around September of next year. Stupid McBigot and the Turtle will use this new vacancy to rile up their base. If the GOP loses the Senate or White House (or both), a new justice will be nominated, confirmed, and sworn in the next day. If they keep the Senate and White House, they will hold the seat open until after the inauguration to use as cover for the next blatant crime they want to distract us from.
Old 11th June 2019, 02:34 PM   #75
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
This Halloween Trump will overenthusiastically devour a cupcake topped with a nonedible plastic ornament. He will subsequently tweet the colonoscopy of the witch hunt to see if there's any obstruction. This will be criticized as unnecessary because in cases of swallowed witches all you need is a fecal occult blood test.
He'll claim the plastic ornament was placed on the cupcake in a coup attempt masterminded by 13 Angry Democrats, Mueller, Peter Strzok and his 'lover', the FBI, Obama and Hillary.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 03:10 PM   #76
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
He'll claim the plastic ornament was placed on the cupcake in a coup attempt masterminded by 13 Angry Democrats, Mueller, Peter Strzok and his 'lover', the FBI, Obama and Hillary.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:04 PM   #77
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I predict Clarence Thomas will announce his retirement around September of next year. Stupid McBigot and the Turtle will use this new vacancy to rile up their base. If the GOP loses the Senate or White House (or both), a new justice will be nominated, confirmed, and sworn in the next day. If they keep the Senate and White House, they will hold the seat open until after the inauguration to use as cover for the next blatant crime they want to distract us from.
It occurs to me that Trump may have told Barr he would nominate for the Supreme Court if he successfully ran interference on the Mueller report.
Old 12th June 2019, 07:01 AM   #78
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Thomas has said he wants to be the longest serving justice in history, but I could totally see him retiring within the year just to butt-**** the country for a generation.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 06:15 AM   #79
Donal
Philosopher

Holy crap, Thomas is only 70. That means at least 20 years of him if he wants to surpass Holmes.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics