IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Was this Power, Strength, or Piracy
I'm a GOP supporter, it was piracy. 0 0%
I'm a DEM supporter, it was piracy 1 2.38%
I'm a GOP supporter, it was strength. 2 4.76%
I'm a DEM supporter, it was strength 2 4.76%
I'm a GOP supporter, it was power. 0 0%
I'm a DEM supporter, it was power. 1 2.38%
I'm independent, it was piracy. 2 4.76%
I'm independent, it was strength. 3 7.14%
I'm independent, it was power. 1 2.38%
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a *(&*(&. 4 9.52%
On planet X, oil is a foodstuff. 6 14.29%
It was none of the above. 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th March 2014, 11:55 AM   #1
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Power, Strength, or Piracy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...a-9196514.html

So, what does that action constitute. I don't want to summarize, you read the article, you decide.
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by jj View Post
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...a-9196514.html

So, what does that action constitute. I don't want to summarize, you read the article, you decide.
I didn't want to read the article so I can't decide.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Where's the option for "A legitimate use of force to stop a criminal escaping with stolen goods"?
Old 17th March 2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I'm a critic of Obama, but this is an act of international law enforcement. I see no problem with it. I wouldn't call it an act of "strength" or "power", though, since it's not all that hard for competent naval forces to capture a civilian vessel. Some strength and power is required, but that's not its notable feature.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Twiggett
Thinker

I read the article but I am unclear on who's actions the poll refers to. I think you are referring to President Obama who authorized the operation, is this correct? If so then my answer will be "None of the above" because a one word answer doesn't really clarify my view. That said, I see it as a wise and necessary decision that prevented a possible ecological disaster (Libyan gov't possibly attempting again to destroy a fully loaded tanker) with a minimal risk of loss of life on all sides.

Since it was asked in the poll I suppose I would have to call myself an Independent as I've never registered as a member of either major party nor do I ever intend to.

-- Guy P. Harrison
Twiggett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

No fan of Obama, but I don't see anything controversial about this.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 01:35 PM   #7
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

The US was asked to stop the boat by multiple nations, including Libya. The oil was flat out stolen. It was a legitimate police action.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 01:38 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think this proves that Putin thinks America is strong, or something.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 01:55 PM   #9
Spindrift

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think this proves that Putin thinks America is strong, or something.
Are you implying this was a stunt?

And if America hadn't seized the tanker what would that have proved?

Is there any scenario where Obama can do something right?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 04:28 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Are you implying this was a stunt?
The poll? Absolutely I'm implying it was a stunt.

Quote:

On the matter of the event to which the poll refers, I am in agreement with Horatius, Ziggurat, Twiggett, Brainster, Loss Leader, and probably even yourself.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 05:20 PM   #11
NoahFence
Banned

Team America!
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 05:28 PM   #12
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Team America!
**** Yeah!
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 06:14 PM   #13
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Nice job changing the subject and attempting a derail.
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 07:47 PM   #14
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

So what the hell was your point in posting this poll? And why the strange options which nobody even seems to know what they mean?
Old 17th March 2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

SEAL Teams are good at what they do.

In other news, otters have fur.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 08:13 PM   #16
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Piracy, because pirates are both powerful and strong!
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 08:32 PM   #17
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
SEAL Teams are good at what they do.

In other news, otters have fur.
Yup.
Old 17th March 2014, 08:35 PM   #18
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post

Well, technically, there was piracy, as a ship sailed into a port, and made off with valuable goods that didn't belong to them, or the people who gave it to them. But I don't think that's what the OP meant.....
Old 17th March 2014, 08:58 PM   #19
angrysoba
Philosophile

Speaking as a liberal I say bomb the **** out of them! Woo hoo! I'm Winston Churchill and you're all Chamberlainistas!

You think liberals can't do tough stuff? Well, we can. We're more caring, more moral, betterer at being more smarter and much more kick-asssssss! Woo hooo!
Old 17th March 2014, 09:10 PM   #20
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Speaking as a liberal I say bomb the **** out of them! Woo hoo! I'm Winston Churchill and you're all Chamberlainistas!

You think liberals can't do tough stuff? Well, we can. We're more caring, more moral, betterer at being more smarter and much more kick-asssssss! Woo hooo!
Uh, wasn't Winnie a Tory?

PS: the only man who ordered a nuke bomb on another country was Harry S Truman, a Democrat. We have a president who is a Democrat. Maybe Mr Putin ought to be a bit more worried!
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 10:12 PM   #21
angrysoba
Philosophile

He was also a Liberal.

PS: the only man who ordered a nuke bomb on another country was Harry S Truman, a Democrat. We have a president who is a Democrat. Maybe Mr Putin ought to be a bit more worried!
There you have it!
Old 17th March 2014, 10:50 PM   #22
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Where's the option for "A legitimate use of force to stop a criminal escaping with stolen goods"?
This^

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2014, 10:53 PM   #23
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You forgot that the last US President to push the world to the brink of Nuclear War was a Democrat too, Kennedy.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2014, 03:42 AM   #24
3point14
Pi

See, that's the trouble with 'responsible' special forces units.

They all seem 'responsible' until, all of a sudden, one of them's apparently recovering stolen goods with nothing more than the backing of the US Navy and an executive order signed by the president.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2014, 05:49 AM   #25
Spindrift

No the seizing of the tanker.

On the matter of the event to which the poll refers, I am in agreement with Horatius, Ziggurat, Twiggett, Brainster, Loss Leader, and probably even yourself.
That's wonderful. How about answering the questions?
Old 18th March 2014, 05:58 AM   #26
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
See, that's the trouble with 'responsible' special forces units.

They all seem 'responsible' until, all of a sudden, one of them's apparently recovering stolen goods with nothing more than the backing of the US Navy and an executive order signed by the president.
The President signed no such order. Remember - he's a coward and America is weak! I think they have a ream of executive order stationary with Bush's signature on it, just waiting for a time to fill in the specifics of an action.

Quote:
You will send SEALs into _____________ in an effort to __________ from _________

Signed,
Dubya
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2014, 07:39 AM   #27
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Can you clarify the poll? Is it regarding the North Korean ship or the US force?
Old 18th March 2014, 02:36 PM   #28
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The poll is the subject of this thread. Discussing it is the opposite of changing the subject.

As for derail, I did also express agreement with several other posters in the thread, who were discussing the points raised by the poll.

ETA: Also, I'm pretty confident I nailed the subject of the thread pretty squarely.

Last edited by theprestige; 18th March 2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 18th March 2014, 09:06 PM   #29
Jrrarglblarg

Poll is stupid and wrong. Everyone knows the Triforce is Power, Courage and Wisdom. Piracy is a different game.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2014, 09:01 AM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=Spindrift;9903761]No the seizing of the tanker.[ /QUOTE]

Not a stunt.

Quote:
That's wonderful. How about answering the questions?
I thought I had. But okay, to spell it out for you:

There is a debate occurring in this same subforum, about whether Putin has reason to think America is weak. My interpretation is that this thread purports to show that Putin has reason to think America is not weak, but strong. I think that the subject matter of this thread is perfectly and completely on-topic for the other thread to which I refer. I think that the only reason this thread exists separately from the other is that the poll requires a new thread. And since you brought up the question of stunts: Yes, I think the poll is a stunt designed to enhance the purpose of the thread.

For avoidance of doubt:

I don't know, and I don't care. I was never out to prove or disprove anything about that. I was commenting on what I think the OP is trying to prove.

Absolutely. Obviously, since I agree with people who think this was the right thing to do, I must think this is a scenario where Obama can do something right. I can think of many others, but, again, that wasn't the context of my original remark.

Finally, I regret that my original remark was not sufficiently clear. Here, once more, is a more explicit version of the same. I hope that it will remove any remaining confusion you may have as to what I am trying to say:

I think thread purports to show that Putin has reason to think America is not weak, but strong. I have no strong opinion on this question.
Old 19th March 2014, 02:50 PM   #31
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Yeah, I don't see this option.
Old 19th March 2014, 06:03 PM   #32
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Nice to see some folks trying to redefine what this thread is all about, of course, but I've come to expect that from the "define the opponent" crowd.

If you read the OP simply, without trying to invent ideas, the question is clear.

There are indeed some answers missing. That doesn't prevent you from either answering the best choice or picking 'none of the above'.
Old 19th March 2014, 06:03 PM   #33
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by ApolloGnomon View Post
Poll is stupid and wrong. Everyone knows the Triforce is Power, Courage and Wisdom. Piracy is a different game.
Actually, everyone knows that Triforce is shorthand for Trinity Force.
Trinity Force
Cost: 3703 (3)
+30 Attack Damage
+30 Ability Power
+30% Attack Speed
+10% Critical Strike Chance
+8% Movement Speed
+250 Health
+200 Mana
UNIQUE Passive - Rage: Basic attacks grant 20 Movement Speed for 2 seconds. Kills grant 60 Movement Speed instead. This Movement Speed bonus is halved for ranged champions.
UNIQUE Passive - Spellblade: After using an ability, the next basic attack deals bonus physical damage equal to 200% of base Attack Damage on hit (2 second cooldown).

Back on topic: for all of the neat weapons the SEALs have, they don't have access to Trinity Force. They have to use more mundane hardware.
Old 19th March 2014, 06:10 PM   #34
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, but they do have access to Seawolf
Old 20th March 2014, 06:31 PM   #35
cwalner
Philosopher

I voted Planet X because, quite frankly, I couldn't get past the name of the North Korean vessel without giggling uncontrollably.

<tee hee> Morning Glory <tee hee>
Old 20th March 2014, 07:34 PM   #36
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Nowadays (and mostly in the past) pirates are just terrorist ******** needing a slow painful and, thus, educational death.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2014, 11:52 AM   #37
carlitos
"más divertido"

Nice to see some folks trying to redefine what this thread is all about.

If you read the OP simply, without trying to invent ideas, the question is clear.
When dozens of folks in multiple threads tell you that you are not being clear, the problem is not with the dozens of folks.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2014, 06:27 PM   #38
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
When dozens of folks in multiple threads tell you that you are not being clear, the problem is not with the dozens of folks.
Well, if you read the op literally, it would make sense. The mysticism people apply here, with people trying to reinterpret every word, dispute every possible confusion, etc, creates the problem you have.
Old 21st March 2014, 06:52 PM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if you read the op literally, it would make sense.
I read the OP literally. "Power" and "strength" are synonymous to me in this context. Yet you seem to intend different meanings for each. What's the difference between "power" and "strength" in the thread title and poll?
Old 21st March 2014, 07:40 PM   #40
Ray Brady
Graduate Poster

PS: the only man who ordered a nuke bomb on another country was Harry S Truman, a Democrat.
Untrue. Truman was just the only one who actually had nukes when he gave the order.
Ray Brady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics