IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:00 AM   #1
icebear
Muse

Obamacare supporters all want exemptions for themselves

http://danfromsquirrelhill.wordpress.../obamacare-59/
icebear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by icebear View Post
All? I'm an Obama supporter and I don't want an exemption.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:26 AM   #3
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Just to save people the bother, I skimmed the list entitled "Here are 271 reasons why hypocrite politicians and unions that support Obamacare want exemptions for themselves". Here are some excerpts:
Quote:
5) Obamacare supporters at Democratic Underground later complained about it
Quote:
7) Obama broke his own deadline for creating healthcare exchanges
Quote:
14) Obama lied about putting health care negotiations on C-SPAN
Quote:
33) Obamacare makes it too hard for some doctors to continue their practices
Quote:
36) Obamacare contradicts itself
Quote:
67) Obamacare caused Michelle Malkin’s family to lose their health insurance policy
Quote:
85) Obamacare website “looks like nobody tested it”
Quote:
129) New York Times writer gave Obama a grade of ‘F’ for rollout of Obamacare website
Quote:
15) Obama lied about letting people keep their health insurance

136) On October 28, 2013, the Obama administration was still falsely claiming that people could keep their insurance

161) On November 8, 2013, the White House website still said, “If you like your plan you can keep it”
At my count, of the 271 reasons why supporters want exemptions for themselves, only 12 were on the topic of exemptions. At least two of those that I noticed were duplicates of the same group or situation. This is a fairly incoherent, babbling rant.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:40 AM   #4
icebear
Muse

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masochism
icebear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Spindrift

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sore_loser
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:50 AM   #6
Mooseman
Thinker

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Just to save people the bother, I skimmed the list entitled "Here are 271 reasons why hypocrite politicians and unions that support Obamacare want exemptions for themselves". Here are some excerpts:At my count, of the 271 reasons why supporters want exemptions for themselves, only 12 were on the topic of exemptions. At least two of those that I noticed were duplicates of the same group or situation. This is a fairly incoherent, babbling rant.
Thanks I didn't want to bother
Mooseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 07:01 AM   #7
Tricky
Briefly immortal

No.
http://www.factcheck.org/2013/05/con...rom-obamacare/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-other-groups/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...alth-care-law/

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/20/the_...y_its_own_lie/

http://www.poynter.org/how-tos/newsg...alth-care-law/

In short, Icebear, you shouldn't get all your info from right-wing websites.

Last edited by Tricky; 2nd April 2014 at 07:20 AM.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 07:07 AM   #8
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post

But then he might come across things that disagree with his opinions. Can't have that.
Old 2nd April 2014, 09:00 AM   #9
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But how else do you filter out realities liberal bias?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 09:22 AM   #10
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I need no exemption. My insurance is the same or better than it was in 2009. BTW, icebear? Trolls post on DU a lot. They pretend to be Democrats so they can stir up stuff. What is YOUR screen name there, BTW?
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:09 PM   #11
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

But those are the only ones with the facts he wants to be true!
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:56 PM   #12
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
I need no exemption. My insurance is the same or better than it was in 2009. BTW, icebear? Trolls post on DU a lot. They pretend to be Democrats so they can stir up stuff. What is YOUR screen name there, BTW?
I'm covered by the VA system and have been quite satisfied with my coverage and care, and it wasn't seriously impacted by the ACA.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 01:57 PM   #13
Alareth
Philosopher

I have insurance for the first time in more than a decade and even opted for a plan that was more than the credit i get from the aca
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 02:00 PM   #14
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Ditto, not that icebear makes any great post with just a blog link.

Wow some critical thinking there.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 02:12 PM   #15
ravdin
Illuminator

How much is the Democratic Party paying you to post this stuff?

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:26 PM   #16
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Ditto, not that icebear makes any great post with just a blog link.

Wow some critical thinking there.
i am too lazy to follow a link to a blog by some guy named Dan who apparently lives with a bunch of squirrels under a hill.
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:31 PM   #17
jj
Penultimate Amazing

When does the level of trolling we see in the OP become outright fraud, I wonder.
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 09:43 PM   #18
Lowpro
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jj View Post
When does the level of trolling we see in the OP become outright fraud, I wonder.
Edited by jhunter1163:  Edited for Rules 0 and 12.

Last edited by jhunter1163; 3rd April 2014 at 04:16 PM.
Lowpro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:08 PM   #19
ehcks
Illuminator

Exemptions for what? The fine for not having healthcare?

A majority of those can be summed up by "Too poor to buy it." No one wants to be poor.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:15 PM   #20
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
Exemptions for what? The fine for not having healthcare?

A majority of those can be summed up by "Too poor to buy it." No one wants to be poor.
For those that are actually poor, there are already subsidies/public care options which fulfill the ACA requirements, so there would not be a fine. If you are talking about people making $24k/year who feel like they can't make a $130/month payment for minimal coverage health insurance plan, they can't afford to not have that coverage, but if they'd rather pay the fine and be without coverage, that is their choice to make. In most states, Medicaid programs and/or county health programs will fully cover those who earn up to just shy of 140% poverty level (~ $16k/year) ACA subsidies kick in (depending upon circumstances) at incomes below 400% poverty level (~$44k/year), above that, it simply isn't proper to frame the issue as "too poor to buy it."
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:11 AM   #21
Lowpro
Philosopher

I am a student with no income and just got into my state's medicaid for its coverage and once my school starts I will move onto their healthplan. Being a no-income person I dare say it's hard to rationalize "too poor to buy" if at least you get enrolled into Medicaid.

I also know that the transition from previous plans to ACA approved plans have definitely upset a lot of people since many previous plans were noncompliant beforehand. Moving to a new plan with a new network can be upsetting.
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:59 AM   #22
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lowpro View Post
I am a student with no income and just got into my state's medicaid for its coverage and once my school starts I will move onto their healthplan. Being a no-income person I dare say it's hard to rationalize "too poor to buy" if at least you get enrolled into Medicaid.

I also know that the transition from previous plans to ACA approved plans have definitely upset a lot of people since many previous plans were noncompliant beforehand. Moving to a new plan with a new network can be upsetting.
The act of breaking a habitual behavior/mode of thinking is often a disconcerting process. Developing a habit is becoming comfortable with a way of acting/thinking, it is a pattern that we can follow automatically without undue conscious attention. Imagine how much more difficult each day would be if you had to focus on everything that you do as if it were the first time you were doing it, each time you do it. Doesn't leave a lot of room for reflective abstractions that are the hallmark of what most consider the essence of human, self-aware, intelligence.

ooops, "Obamacare Bad!, ACA Good!"

Its a good thing the Republicans got rid of obamacare and it got replaced with the ACA and all those State health care plans! Now we can get a Clinton back in the whitehouse and go back to partying the way we did in the '90s, before that idiot from CT drove the nation into a ditch on a drunken binge!!
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:45 AM   #23
daredelvis
Master Poster

I find it hard to take this seriously when IceBeer is calling it Obamacare, everyone knows the ACA is called Obummercare.

Daredelvis
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:50 AM   #24
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
How much is the Democratic Party paying you to post this stuff?
Not enough. I'm an Obama supporter and don't want an exemption from the ACA, but you don't see me posting about it. Pay up Dems and maybe I'll say something positive, but until then it's just popcorn and bourbon. Good show, suckers.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:58 AM   #25
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Not enough. I'm an Obama supporter and don't want an exemption from the ACA, but you don't see me posting about it. Pay up Dems and maybe I'll say something positive, but until then it's just popcorn and bourbon. Good show, suckers.
You get paid in popcorn and bourbon? I'd sell out for a little piece of that action.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:22 AM   #26
ravdin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I meant icebear, not you. Judging from the responses, I have to conclude that these threads are a deliberate ploy to rally support for the Obama administration.

It's plausible however that icebear is a true believer and all of this is a volunteer effort.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:52 AM   #27
Unabogie
Philosopher

I meant icebear, not you. Judging from the responses, I have to conclude that these threads are a deliberate ploy to rally support for the Obama administration.

It's plausible however that icebear is a true believer and all of this is a volunteer effort.
It really says something when a person's posts are so outlandish that they convince people that they're actually a plant for the other side.

"Palin must now be considered the future of the Republican Party." ~ Brainster
Unabogie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:03 PM   #28
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That's much funnier.

And possibly the best explanation for icebear, yet.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:08 PM   #29
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You get paid in popcorn and bourbon? I'd sell out for a little piece of that action.
I put in a good word for you, but there was some question about your "credibility" - can't say anything more than that, sorry.

Scrut faced the same issues if that makes you feel any better. Probably it doesn't, though.
Old 3rd April 2014, 02:54 PM   #30
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I held out for hookers and weed.
Old 4th April 2014, 07:29 PM   #31
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Who doesn't?
Old 4th April 2014, 07:39 PM   #32
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds like a union job!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics