IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 9th January 2021, 10:11 AM   #681
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
All of you are to blame. This insurrection never would've happened if Trump had won.

I was thinking that. Good one.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:23 AM   #682
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
"The man smiling and waving at the camera has been identified as 36-year-old Adam Johnson of Parrish in Manatee County. 8 On Your Side has learned Johnson is married to a local physician and is a father of five.

The arrest report says Johnson was booked in the Pinellas County Jail around 9 p.m. Friday. He remains there on a US Marshal warrant."

https://www.wfla.com/news/pinellas-c...s-capitol/amp/
It's morning in America.

Quote:
Wifey going to be pissed.
She's probably proud of him.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 10:25 AM   #683
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
... or she was well on his way of becoming an ex-wife, in which case she might actually be glad to be rid of the moron.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:29 AM   #684
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
If there is a counter-protest to the re-insurgence, it may get totally out of hand. I for one think the Inauguration will take place somewhere else, maybe planned ahead but more likely not announced beforehand.

Moving the Inauguration would be a huge mistake, in that it it would be a huge symbolic win for the MAGAts: "Look at them running scared from us Patriots!" There have a been a lot of arrests the last two days, but you know there's still tens of thousands of like-minded idiots still out there.

As dangerous as it might be, Biden needs to stand in the exact place they tried to deny him, to show them that they failed to deny him that spot.

Every government employee in DC who carries a gun should be on duty, and the crowd allowed onto the Mall to watch the Inauguration will have to be extremely well vetted and searched, but a public Inauguration on the steps of the Capitol is absolutely essential at this moment.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:36 AM   #685
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
... or she was well on his way of becoming an ex-wife, in which case she might actually be glad to be rid of the moron.
Keep hope alive.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 10:37 AM   #686
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Something just hit me. Here's me being the datacom geek.

Anyone with a cell phone at the Capitol during the riot can be identified. Cell base stations can identify anyone who has their phone on. Once a phone is on it pings the base station. That is how cell network know which cell antenna to transmit a call to you. The denser the population the more antennas operating at less and less power.

It might even be possible to know you were inside the Capitol building or outside. That is if there are microcells inside the Capitol. The police can ask for logs of the antennas for that day , then cross reference the phone numbers.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:38 AM   #687
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Moving the Inauguration would be a huge mistake, in that it it would be a huge symbolic win for the MAGAts: "Look at them running scared from us Patriots!" There have a been a lot of arrests the last two days, but you know there's still tens of thousands of like-minded idiots still out there.

As dangerous as it might be, Biden needs to stand in the exact place they tried to deny him, to show them that they failed to deny him that spot.

Every government employee in DC who carries a gun should be on duty, and the crowd allowed onto the Mall to watch the Inauguration will have to be extremely well vetted and searched, but a public Inauguration on the steps of the Capitol is absolutely essential at this moment.
Agree 100%.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:38 AM   #688
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It's morning in America.

You think? The woman is a medical doctor.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:41 AM   #689
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Anyone with a cell phone at the Capitol during the riot can be identified. Cell base stations can identify anyone who has their phone on. Once a phone is on it pings the base station. That is how cell network know which cell antenna to transmit a call to you. The denser the population the more antennas operating at less and less power.

It might even be possible to know you were inside the Capitol building or outside. That is if there are microcells inside the Capitol. The police can ask for logs of the antennas for that day , then cross reference the phone numbers.
Yep. I would be surprised if they havenít requested the data and there are more than a few newbies* tasked with the job of correlating the information with names and addresses.

*They always get the crappy jobs in every organisation.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:42 AM   #690
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm getting into "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street" territory here (Twilight Zone episode), but there will undoubtedly be some of those who are potential insurgent allies.

However, if the big protest insurgency gathering takes place on the 17th or the 19th, things may have been taken care of by then. I would certainly like the proceedings to take place as normal. But I'm afraid that, with a lot of warning and travel time ahead of time, we're going to see unpleasant masses on whatever day they decide. I have little faith that things are going to be OK. It's already been bad. It's going to be really bad. Get a couple other big groups in there and it's going to be "The Battle of the Five Armies."

Last edited by alfaniner; 9th January 2021 at 10:46 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 10:45 AM   #691
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Yesterday on npr, a journalist claimed the FBI could identify everyone who was in that building with an active phone, to a position within two or three feet, through the provider's data streams. If that's true, they might even be able to ID the MAGA responsible for killing one of the cops. It seems practically all of the attackers had their phones on throughout the attack.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:48 AM   #692
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That was pre-beard Cruz.
Seems both Prime universe Cruz and Mirror universe Cruz are pretty similarly evil.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:50 AM   #693
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I once read that, among those in the scientific professions, medical doctors had the highest rates of creationists. Of course, I'm hoping she's deeply offended by everything he stands for, but I'd be surprised if she is.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:50 AM   #694
Wudang
BOFH

To what degree would those committing the crime of unauthorised entry or whatever charge also be culpable for the death of the cop? Especially if within say 3 feet.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:54 AM   #695
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
To what degree would those committing the crime of unauthorised entry or whatever charge also be culpable for the death of the cop? Especially if within say 3 feet.
It would definitely narrow the field considerably, which would probably lead to a positive ID.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:58 AM   #696
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

ziptie guy, with his $130 "tactical shirt" and "stalker pants" took a lot of care to avoid being identified, and then...

https://twitter.com/sparrowmedia/sta...951630343?s=20

Worth reading the rest of the thread

like this:
https://twitter.com/ACassiopei/statu...379739137?s=20

Quote:
Replying to
@blukentuckygirl
and
@sparrowmedia
Quote Tweet
Emerson
@ACassiopei
∑ 12h
Replying to @jsrailton
Possible accomplices:
"Patrick 'TheLeg' O'Donnell"
https://facebook.com/paddy.odonnell.5621

Keeps covering his face, but was tagged in his friend Curtis Dennis' page. Here he is on the left
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 10:58 AM   #697
Wudang
BOFH

It would definitely narrow the field considerably, which would probably lead to a positive ID.
Iím thinking more along the lines that if they were jointly complicit in the commission of a crime and that crime lead to a death, are they then all to some degree complicit in the homicide? I believe that applies to say bank robberies but they tend to be more planned. I have no idea.
Old 9th January 2021, 11:06 AM   #698
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
So is Stella Immanuel.
Old 9th January 2021, 11:10 AM   #699
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yesterday on npr, a journalist claimed the FBI could identify everyone who was in that building with an active phone, to a position within two or three feet, through the provider's data streams. If that's true, they might even be able to ID the MAGA responsible for killing one of the cops. It seems practically all of the attackers had their phones on throughout the attack.
Maybe. I'm always a bit skeptical since I sold that kind of equipment for thirty years. I have read many exaggerations from so called authorities about the level of detail. It all depends on the setup. So much of the Capitol is stone and granite. It was probably a nightmare to set up to receive decent cell service. That is until the last 15 years and the advent of microcells. These are just like any other cell phone antenna except they run at very low power to limit their coverage. I am just not personally knowledgeable of the Capitol's cell service structure.

You combine this with video surveillance, social networks and the like and you very well maybe be able to do that.
Old 9th January 2021, 11:18 AM   #700
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
This was a massive Law enforcement failure - you don't prep Security for the most likely case, but the worst case.
Clearly, there was a blind spot when it came to imagining what the MAGAs would be willing to do.
I also think the FBI had heard a lot of talk on the internet before;it had been mostly hot air and they assumed the same this time. I think they expected some disturbance; but something like the summer's protest;that they would never actully attempt to storm the Capitol.
I supsect it will be lot like the intelligence failures at Pearl Harbor and 9/11: a lack of imigination at what an oppoenet is capable of.
One intelligence analyst after Pearl Harbor simply said "Main problem was we never thought the bastards would have the nerve to go that far to the east", I suspect something very similiar here.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 11:19 AM   #701
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

I thought it had already been decided to scale the inauguration right down because of the pandemic? Is it even going to be in the usual place?
Old 9th January 2021, 11:25 AM   #702
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
I think the time for alternatives was at different points before the very last barricade. The mob should never have gotten that far, and someone needs to be held accountable for that.

Imagine an angry mob strolling through the White House, destroying everything around them, and then one of them breaks into the Oval Office and gets shot. No one would question it.
I saw a video from when they broke through the first barricade. It was probably 100 yds or more in front of the capital.

By the time they got to the steps, the riot squad should have been there.

That video of when they were at the gates on the steps is at least checkpoint 2
Old 9th January 2021, 11:27 AM   #703
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
If there is a counter-protest to the re-insurgence, it may get totally out of hand. I for one think the Inauguration will take place somewhere else, maybe planned ahead but more likely not announced beforehand.
No.No.No.
That would be handing the insurgence a huge victory.
Biden must be inaugruated at the the Capitol on Jan 20;if that means turning Capitol Hill into an armed camp so be it.
And if it takes Napoleon's '"Whiff of grapeshot" to keep the mob at bay, so be it.
Our deomcracy is at stake. Extreme measures might be necessary to preserve it.
To move Biden's inaugration to a private place would be a surrunder.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 9th January 2021 at 11:28 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 11:29 AM   #704
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The mob seems to be pretty much middle class folk.
Old 9th January 2021, 11:30 AM   #705
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I saw a video from when they broke through the first barricade. It was probably 100 yds or more in front of the capital.

By the time they got to the steps, the riot squad should have been there.

That video of when they were at the gates on the steps is at least checkpoint 2
Too bad Napoleon was not in charge. He knew how to disperse a mob trying to storm a plece where a ligislature was meeting....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th January 2021, 11:45 AM   #706
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
ziptie guy, with his $130 "tactical shirt" and "stalker pants" took a lot of care to avoid being identified, and then...

https://twitter.com/sparrowmedia/sta...951630343?s=20

Worth reading the rest of the thread

like this:
https://twitter.com/ACassiopei/statu...379739137?s=20
Fascinating reads. Thanks.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 11:50 AM   #707
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Today's Washington Post satirizes Republicans who have just now decided to withdraw their support from Trump:

"I see no choice but to resign from this Death Star as it begins to explode."
Old 9th January 2021, 11:50 AM   #708
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
That is where we have a difference. You think breaking the law sufficient reason to kill someone. I do not.
Quick question: what did she have in her backpack?

She wasn't "breaking the law" she was trying to break into the chambers where leaders of our federal government were sequestered. She was carrying a large pack on her back.

She was actively attacking congress.

That's a little more than "breaking the law." It's not like she was jaywalking.
Old 9th January 2021, 12:09 PM   #709
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

100% agree.

These scumbags have gotten enough of a victory out of this already. No need to give them another one.

If we can call in overwhelming militarized force to protect statues, we can do the same for a Presidential Inauguration.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 12:14 PM   #710
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I also think the FBI had heard a lot of talk on the internet before;it had been mostly hot air and they assumed the same this time. I think they expected some disturbance; but something like the summer's protest;that they would never actully attempt to storm the Capitol.
An ex-FBI official discussed this on MSNBC. He said the U.S. does not have a domestic terrorism statute. It is not allowed to monitor U.S. social media unless it is investigating a specific crime. It can't do what we all do with Facebook or Twitter, and what the FBI routinely does with foreign actors. The interviewer said "But can't you just read this stuff?," and the guy basically said "Sure, but we can't report it or act on it."

Sounds like one of the first bills the new Congress should consider.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 12:18 PM   #711
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by twinstead View Post
I don't normally come out and actually post stuff, but this is a really good post
One way to unite the country is to bring them together against a common enemy.

I'd like to think that "government officials who incite insurrection" would be a good example.

There are those who do not agree.
Old 9th January 2021, 12:20 PM   #712
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
An ex-FBI official discussed this on MSNBC. He said the U.S. does not have a domestic terrorism statute. It is not allowed to monitor U.S. social media unless it is investigating a specific crime. It can't do what we all do with Facebook or Twitter, and what the FBI routinely does with foreign actors. The interviewer said "But can't you just read this stuff?," and the guy basically said "Sure, but we can't report it or act on it."
Can they act on it if a citizen contacts them with that information?
Old 9th January 2021, 12:23 PM   #713
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Today's Washington Post satirizes Republicans who have just now decided to withdraw their support from Trump:

"I see no choice but to resign from this Death Star as it begins to explode."
I canít find it now but I liked one tweet that said ďwhen a plane lands I sometimes undo my seatbelt before the plane comes to a complete stop so I know the kind of courage this takes.Ē
Old 9th January 2021, 12:26 PM   #714
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Two Seattle police officers are on leave now as they were in DC for the riots.

Also a Pittsburgh area police officer is under investigation. His department has said he was not a part of the mob that stormed the Capitol.

Really a mistake for them just to take their officer's word on something like this. I mean seriously, how would they know at this point? Much better for them to be non-committal until later.
Old 9th January 2021, 12:28 PM   #715
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Can they act on it if a citizen contacts them with that information?
I don't recall that being asked. I would think it might depend on how specific the threat is, and whether the party making the threat is identifiable.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 12:28 PM   #716
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I thought it had already been decided to scale the inauguration right down because of the pandemic? Is it even going to be in the usual place?
The plan has been no crowds,but it was always intended to be in front of the US Capitol, the traditional place to hold it.
And it has become a matter of the utmost importance that it be held there. We cannot allow a fascist mob is intimidate us.
Yes, I think there will be violence if the inaugration is held in front of the Capitol building. But there are times when avoiding violence is not the most important thing;this is one of them.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th January 2021, 12:31 PM   #717
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Two Seattle police officers are on leave now as they were in DC for the riots.

Also a Pittsburgh area police officer is under investigation. His department has said he was not a part of the mob that stormed the Capitol.

Really a mistake for them just to take their officer's word on something like this. I mean seriously, how would they know at this point? Much better for them to be non-committal until later.
ANy lawenforcement who particpated in the insurrection should be fired if it can be proven.
No excuses acceptable.
And I am more sympathetic to the police then many here.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th January 2021, 12:32 PM   #718
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Yes, I think there will be violence if the inaugration is held in front of the Capitol building. But there are times when avoiding violence is not the most important thing;this is one of them.
"There's nothing wrong with shooting, so long as the right people get shot."

- Detective Harry Callaghan

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 12:46 PM   #719
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

ANy lawenforcement who particpated in the insurrection should be fired if it can be proven.
No excuses acceptable.
And I am more sympathetic to the police then many here.
SPD made a statement that they support everyone's right to free speech, but that if it is discovered that the officers committed violence or entered the Capitol, they will be fired.
Old 9th January 2021, 12:55 PM   #720
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

SPD made a statement that they support everyone's right to free speech, but that if it is discovered that the officers committed violence or entered the Capitol, they will be fired.
Shouldn't there be equal concern that people who would travel all the way across the country for a lame duck Trump rally are almost certainly people who believe that Trump won the election and/or that Biden should not be inaugurated?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics