IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump impeachment

Old 13th January 2021, 01:48 PM   #641
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Watching the impeachment 2.0 charade on tv.... I've now come to the conclusion that the USA is no more. It is utterly, completely, and royally FUBAR'd from this day forward.

Republicans are spending their 30-60 second time slots to play whataboutisms and partisan ad hominems. Yeah... The USA can't even set aside it's myopic political circus for 5 minutes to come together and agree that Jan 6th was an abomination on the very fabric of the country, brought on by the nonstop attack of its electoral processes by the very person who is supposed to be not only leading the country and protecting the people, but also protecting the very governance of said country that he's been trying to undermine since his loss in November.

It was his claims of election fraud that fueled this mob to attack the capitol building. Period. Just that alone in and of itself is reason enough to impeach him and forbid him to ever hold office again, nevermind his riling up of the mob right before the march to the building. The simple fact of the matter is that this putz reneged on one of his most important job descriptions... to uphold the governance of the country by way of respecting the laws of the land. He failed bigly at one of the most easiest aspects of his job.

And this basket of deplorables can't even be honest with themselves about it? FFS.

Yup, so long as this republican party continues to exist, the USA is done for. Our great great grandchildren will be reading about this in their history books under the chapter titled: "The Country That Used To Be".

Un-fricken-believable.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:48 PM   #642
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Good God, I really ******* hate Republicans.
I hate 90% of them. And I someone who has voted Republican, and am probably a moderate conservative on many iseues.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:49 PM   #643
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Would McConnell have any reason to fear a brief Pence presidency? I can't think of one, but maybe I'm missing something.
I don't think he likes Pence enough to let him be president, even if just for a day.

And, as others mentioned, Pence may pardon Trump.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:50 PM   #644
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
At this stage I'm expecting, "Ladies and gentlemen of the Senate, the President was in no way inciting a disturbance in his speech of 6 January 2020. What he did was give veiled instructions to a crowd that had been prepared far enough in advance to prepare a mobile gallows. Since his words were obviously not intended to bring incite persons to action, but rather to give them the go ahead to carry out previously agreed to courses of action, his words do not meet the strict definition of the term and you must acquit."
I like that. I hope someone does say that. But it doesn't matter. This isn't a court of law. I'm guessing for most senators it will come down to the politics of their next re-election bid.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:51 PM   #645
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Watching the impeachment 2.0 charade on tv.... I've now come to the conclusion that the USA is no more. It is utterly, completely, and royally FUBAR'd from this day forward.

Republicans are spending their 30-60 second time slots to play whataboutisms and partisan ad hominems. Yeah... The USA can't even set aside it's myopic political circus for 5 minutes to come together and agree that Jan 6th was an abomination on the very fabric of the country, brought on by the nonstop attack of its electoral processes by the very person who is supposed to be not only leading the country and protecting the people, but also protecting the very governance of said country that he's been trying to undermine since his loss in November.

It was his claims of election fraud that fueled this mob to attack the capitol building. Period. Just that alone in and of itself is reason enough to impeach him and forbid him to ever hold office again, nevermind his riling up of the mob right before the march to the building. The simple fact of the matter is that this putz reneged on one of his most important job descriptions... to uphold the governance of the country by way of respecting the laws of the land. He failed bigly at one of the most easiest aspects of his job.

And this basket of deplorables can't even be honest with themselves about it? FFS.

Yup, so long as this republican party continues to exist, the USA is done for. Our great great grandchildren will be reading about this in their history books under the chapter titled: "The Country That Used To Be".

Un-fricken-believable.
Venting much.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:54 PM   #646
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again the idea the Senators can just... like not vote is already stupid to me. I mean that's literally your job.

The idea that they can't do it during an impeachment is worse.

When you're a member of Congress and the decision is on this level, you shouldn't get to stay in the corner.

Stupidity is not an uncommon affliction among Trump supporters.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:56 PM   #647
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Nova Land View Post
People keep saying that if the house votes to impeach Donald Trump then 67 votes are needed in the senate to convict him. For example, here's a quote from USA Today:

That is not correct. It does not require at least 67 members to support conviction, and it would be good for people to stop repeating that inaccuracy.

Ah, you may be thinking, but there are 100 senators, and the constitution says it takes a vote of 2/3 of the senators to convict, so that means it takes at least 67 senators. But that's a careless misreading of what the constitution actually says.

The relevant passage is in article I, section 3 of the US constitution. Here it is:

People keep saying we need 2/3 of the votes of the senate membership -- i.e. 67 votes -- to convict Trump. That's not what the constitution says. What the constitution says is that it takes 2/3 of the votes of those present.

If every senator were present, that would be 67 out of 100, but it's a mistake to assume 100 senators will be present. In fact, there almost certainly won't be if the impeachment trial occurs immediately, as at present there are only 99 senators, David Perdue's term having expired and Jon Ossoff not having been confirmed yet. So if all 99 members were present it would take 66 votes to convict.

But there is also no reason to assume all 99 members will be present. Very often the senate convenes and does business with less than all members present, which is why senate rules include a quorum requirement. The constitution addresses this in Article 1, Section 5: "Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members, and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business." So a senate quorum is 50 at the moment, and will go back up to 51 after we return to having 100 senators.

If fewer than 100 senators are present, then fewer than 67 votes are needed to convict. So instead of focusing on trying to win the votes of the Republicans who are determined not to vote for impeachment, I think it would be smarter for those who'd like to see Trump removed from office to focus on trying to convince as many of those Republican senators as possible to boycott the impeachment trial. We refuse to dignify these proceedings by taking any part in them, Republican senators who want to at least appear to support Donald Trump could say, as a way to try to stay on the good side of the pro-Trumpers while allowing them to avoid actually going on record as voting to acquit him.

There are currently 99 senators, which includes 46 Democrats and 2 Democratic-voting indies. Let's assume all of them show up for the trial and all of them vote to convict, and consider how Republican attendance at the trial would affect things.

(a) If every senator showed up it would require 66 votes to convict, so those working for impeachment would need to get 18 Republican votes. That could be very hard to get.

(b) If 9 senators stayed home, those working for impeachment would need 60 out of 90 votes to convict. That means 12 Republican votes would be needed -- which would also probably be very hard to get...

(c) But suppose 18 Republicans could be persuaded to stand firm in opposition to the impeachment by refusing to attend the impeachment trial. Now there'd be 81 senators present, so it would require only 54 votes to convict. That means if 6 Republicans vote to convict, Donald Trump is convicted and removed from office. And that seems like a number the impeachment side might actually be able to attain.
Sorry, but I do not believe that you are entirely correct.

While you are correct in what the US Constitution has to say about '2/3 of the Senators present'.

But it is my understanding that according to the rules of the Senate, that unless a senator has some terribly important reason for being absent, then all 100 of the senators must be present when the Senate is going through a Presidential impeachment trial.

As such, it will take at least 67 senators to convict Trump.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:00 PM   #648
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

While you are correct in what the US Constitution has to say about '2/3 of the Senators present'.

But it is my understanding that according to the rules of the Senate, that unless a senator has some terribly important reason for being absent, then all 100 of the senators must be present when the Senate is going through a Presidential impeachment trial.

Well 66 as long as they are only at 99 senators.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:03 PM   #649
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

This is like the rule against abstentions. They have to have a reason, but only need to state it upon being pressed by the Senate. In other words it can be ignored with a wink and a nod.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:08 PM   #650
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I don't know how it works. Is there going to be a vote today on impeachment? Will we know today if it happens, or tomorrow, or what?
My understanding is the plan is there is to be a vote today. I doubt they will deviate from that plan.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:12 PM   #651
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Voting just begun.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:14 PM   #652
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

9 Republicans have voted Aye, no Democrats have voted Nay. Waiting on the last 24 votes.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:15 PM   #653
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Venting much.
Yes. Yes I am.

Sitting on your ass whining about an internet forum vent rather than getting on the phone and demanding some answers from your government because this is just a big ol' nothing burger much? Yes. Yes you are.

Old 13th January 2021, 02:15 PM   #654
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

217 for Impeahcment. Trump is impeached for a second time.
This had to be done, but I got a feeling that all hell is going break lose next week. This will inflame the MAGA Maniacs.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:16 PM   #655
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

227 Aye
194 Nay
11 Not Voting
Old 13th January 2021, 02:16 PM   #656
Mr Fied
Muse

Done, or should I say OVAH
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:16 PM   #657
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Now 10 Republican Yeas.

As someone remarked, the most bipartisan presidential impeachment in US history.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:17 PM   #658
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. Yes I am.

Sitting on your ass whining about an internet forum vent rather than getting on the phone and demanding some answers from your government because this is just a big ol' nothing burger much? Yes. Yes you are.

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.1605...600,f8f8f8.jpg
Oh i have been emailin my Representatives and Senators about this
Probme is you attitude is so full of despair and fashionalbe angst that is helps nobody but the Trumpites.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:20 PM   #659
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

One week to go!

I hate 90% of them. And I someone who has voted Republican, and am probably a moderate conservative on many iseues.
To be clear, I meant mostly the politicians.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:24 PM   #660
Mr Fied
Muse

TBF, in the rest of the world, the Democrats would be considered moderate conservatives.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:32 PM   #661
Steve
Philosopher

Venting much.
Yes. Yes I am.

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.1605...600,f8f8f8.jpg
It seems many Americans cannot see the forest for the trees. Watching from outside of your borders there is no question that your political system is one vast **** up. Trump's main accomplishment is to reveal just how bad it is and, surprisingly, many of you even now think there is something retrievable. It will not be salvaged for many years, if ever.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:35 PM   #662
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by metacristi View Post
What Trump did is definitely not 'insurrection', his speech (widely produced as proof by some) cannot be used to claim that he intended to cause violence. The truth is rather that the massively 'progressive' infiltrated Democrats fear so much Trump that basically anything is useful to oust him. If Trump is cancelled using this 'progressive' patented method then anyone, no matter how rational, can be a victim in the future.
Massively progressive infiltrated?
Oh what demonic people we must be.

Anything is useful to oust him? Damn if that were true he could have been impeached once a week for the last 4 years.

Anyone can be a victim in the future? That is Trump's message today responding to news of his impeachment. It's how one diminishes a most serious charge, make it sound like it was a run of the mill act.

No, just no.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th January 2021 at 02:39 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:39 PM   #663
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Ironic that the number of YEAs for Impeachment is the same as the number as The PDJT's Electoral votes? (232)

I have to admit I did a slow clap at the announcement of the result, but there was no joy in it.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:41 PM   #664
Pacal
Graduate Poster

Trump is Impeached

232 Congressmen voted to Impeach Trump for a second time. Sadly 197 Republicans said nay. 5 Congressmen abstained.

I congratulate the 10 Republicans who voted for the Impeachment. Showing at least some real integrity.

What was very pathetic was the "arguments" put forth to excuse not voting for Impeachment. Whatever!!
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:44 PM   #665
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Idiot freshman from Alabama, Barry Moore. who compared nasty tweets about Trump with the Storming of the Capitol has quite a interesting past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_...ma_politician)

In most states, those fraud accuastions would end a political career but not in Alabama.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:45 PM   #666
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Now 10 Republican Yeas.

As someone remarked, the most bipartisan presidential impeachment in US history.
Yeah, that's only because Nixon resigned before the articles of impeachment were sent to the floor
Old 13th January 2021, 02:52 PM   #667
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Oh i have been emailin my Representatives and Senators about this
Probme is you attitude is so full of despair and fashionalbe angst that is helps nobody but the Trumpites.

"Fashionable angst"? Well, isn't that precious... you think concern for what I'm witnessing is "fashionable angst".

There's a political party in your country that has no problem completely undermining the very fabric of your existence just so they don't have to admit out loud that they ****** up when they put this moron in charge. If that doesn't represent one of the most important issues that needs to be remedied immediately before it festers into an irreversible train wreck, then I don't know what does.

So long as the rest of the country continues to turn a blind eye to this screaming elephant in the room pretending that it'll just go away after Biden has taken office, you will have no one to blame but yourselves for the possible bloodshed that's coming down the pipeline from the radicalized right and left. They're itching for it and you're pretending it's all just a silly hyperbolic extravaganza that will die off on its own.

Are you really this short-sighted? Or are you just really this deep in denial?
Old 13th January 2021, 02:53 PM   #668
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Once again, the "very stable genius" known as President Trump manages to get himself into the history books.

I guess this yet another fine example of the "winning" that he promised to provide a few years ago.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:06 PM   #669
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by metacristi View Post
What Trump did is definitely not 'insurrection', his speech (widely produced as proof by some) cannot be used to claim that he intended to cause violence. The truth is rather that the massively 'progressive' infiltrated Democrats fear so much Trump that basically anything is useful to oust him. If Trump is cancelled using this 'progressive' patented method then anyone, no matter how rational, can be a victim in the future.
Bollocks. I see you've branched out from Holocaust denial and general Jewish conspiracy mongering to apologism for Trump's pathetic attempt to illegally hold on to power,
Trump lost, face reality.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:07 PM   #670
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post

What was very pathetic was the "arguments" put forth to excuse not voting for Impeachment. Whatever!!
Even put in the best possible light, I can imagine that a politician might feel the need to tell lies because they think they have to reflect the will of their constituents, like a trial lawyer has to sing the praises and defend a murderous thug. But a politician doesnít play the same role as a lawyer, and has to at times act on their conscience and not play the game.

Either way, there is no excuse for not voting for impeachment.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:16 PM   #671
Steve
Philosopher

"Fashionable angst"? Well, isn't that precious... you think concern for what I'm witnessing is "fashionable angst".

There's a political party in your country that has no problem completely undermining the very fabric of your existence just so they don't have to admit out loud that they ****** up when they put this moron in charge. If that doesn't represent one of the most important issues that needs to be remedied immediately before it festers into an irreversible train wreck, then I don't know what does.

So long as the rest of the country continues to turn a blind eye to this screaming elephant in the room pretending that it'll just go away after Biden has taken office, you will have no one to blame but yourselves for the possible bloodshed that's coming down the pipeline from the radicalized right and left. They're itching for it and you're pretending it's all just a silly hyperbolic extravaganza that will die off on its own.

Are you really this short-sighted? Or are you just really this deep in denial?
Political parties are not the real problem. They don't actually believe most of what they say. They will change their positions to whatever is profitable at the time. The real long term problem is the many millions of violent racist morons who have crawled out of their holes due to Trump's encouragement and honestly believe the crap the politicians are feeding them. These true believers are going to be around causing serious problems for many years.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:18 PM   #672
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Bad people!
Not just any old bad, demonic.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:23 PM   #673
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

My information is dated at best, but some time ago I heard someone in the political sphere rate the various means of contacting members of Congress in terms of impact. I forget the order of calls and emails, but old-fashioned snail mail was still the gold standard. A real letter was harder to put aside than a phone call or email and showed a greater commitment.

I don't think there's any chance either of my senators would vote to acquit, and this state's congressional delegation has a couple of members so odious and/or stupid that probably no message would get through to them.

I was half-listening to this in the gym and briefly thought there were going to be some changes of votes, or at least one, which I hoped would be more Republicans signing on. But for the most part I don't blame the Repubs for voting "nay." According to the CNN natterers a few of them made some pretty bad statements re: Trump but begged off due to timing or some such.

If Mitch wants to stick a fork in Trump I have every reason to believe he'd go along with a post-inauguration impeachment. Removal would be moot but he's probably as eager as anyone destroy Trump's political ambitions. Hard to believe Trump could get re-elected in four years' time but anything's possible.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:25 PM   #674
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Massively progressive infiltrated?
Oh what demonic people we must be.

Anything is useful to oust him? Damn if that were true he could have been impeached once a week for the last 4 years.

Anyone can be a victim in the future? That is Trump's message today responding to news of his impeachment. It's how one diminishes a most serious charge, make it sound like it was a run of the mill act.

No, just no.
Hey, this is one of Metacristi's more rational posts...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:31 PM   #675
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
My information is dated at best, but some time ago I heard someone in the political sphere rate the various means of contacting members of Congress in terms of impact. I forget the order of calls and emails, but old-fashioned snail mail was still the gold standard. A real letter was harder to put aside than a phone call or email and showed a greater commitment.

I don't think there's any chance either of my senators would vote to acquit, and this state's congressional delegation has a couple of members so odious and/or stupid that probably no message would get through to them.

I was half-listening to this in the gym and briefly thought there were going to be some changes of votes, or at least one, which I hoped would be more Republicans signing on. But for the most part I don't blame the Repubs for voting "nay." According to the CNN natterers a few of them made some pretty bad statements re: Trump but begged off due to timing or some such.

If Mitch wants to stick a fork in Trump I have every reason to believe he'd go along with a post-inauguration impeachment. Removal would be moot but he's probably as eager as anyone destroy Trump's political ambitions. Hard to believe Trump could get re-elected in four years' time but anything's possible.
I tend to agree. However that agreement is sobered by History. 9 years after Hitler engaged in the famous Munich putsch and convicted of Treason, he was elected and became Germany's leader.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:32 PM   #676
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Anyone else think that wasn't Trump?
His his defense lawyer building the case that Trump didn't mean to trigger an insurrection.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th January 2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:36 PM   #677
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And the style of the PR is so bland. Sure sign a hack wrote it.
On that note, the absence of the claim his speech was perfect is another tell.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:38 PM   #678
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
McConnell has said he wouldn't agree to reconvening early

He said he would vote to convict.
He knows Pelosi is too smart for that. She won't present the Articles to the Senate until the Democrats control it.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:38 PM   #679
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

I don't see how the Republicans can stop Trump from winning the 2024 Republican primaries, if he decided to run, even though he couldn't win the election. Which makes him an enormous and lasting liability for the rest of the party. Convicting him and making him ineligible to hold office again would partly solve that problem. So I would think the party leaders would want that to happen.

He could still back someone else, either in the Republican primaries or as a third party, but there's no evidence he's capable of actually backing and promoting someone besides himself.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:42 PM   #680
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I don't see how the Republicans can stop Trump from winning the 2024 Republican primaries, if he decided to run, even though he couldn't win the election. Which makes him an enormous and lasting liability for the rest of the party. Convicting him and making him ineligible to hold office again would partly solve that problem. So I would think the party leaders would want that to happen.

He could still back someone else, either in the Republican primaries or as a third party, but there's no evidence he's capable of actually backing and promoting someone besides himself.
This is true. But in politics, four years is a long time. His mental faculties are not going to improve. He may run, but it could be quite embarrassing.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics