ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th July 2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Atlas of Creation preacher arrested

Adnan Oktar, AKA Harun Yahya, has been arrested in Turkey on fraud and abuse charges. Some will remember his glossy creationist book full of laughable Google images trawling that included “insects” with fish hooks and confusing snakes and eels. It was much talked about by skeptics when they were sent free to accademics around the world.

For Turks he was a joke with his Islamic sex cult and its own TV station.

In the following clip he asks each of his Kittens, “Do you love me?” They respond gushingly.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Not his first run in with the law. I recall some Turks telling me of other fraud type charges in the 70s and time in a mental health facility. When I have time I might see what I can find on that. ETA theres a bit on Wikipedia, including cocaine charges.

I was always surprised how conservatives largely ignored him but the current regime must have had enough of him.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44792102

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atlas_of_Creation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adnan_Oktar

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 11th July 2018 at 02:50 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Adnan Oktar, AKA Harun Yahya, has been arrested in Turkey on fraud and abuse charges. Some will remember his glossy creationist book full of laughable Google images trawling that included “insects” with fish hooks and confusing snakes and eels. It was much talked about by skeptics when they were sent free to accademics around the world.

In the following clip he asks each of his Kittens, “Do you love me?” They respond gushingly.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Not his first run in with the law. I recall some Turks telling me of other fraud type charges in the 70s and time in a mental health facility. When I have time I might see what I can find on that. ETA theres a bit on Wikipedia, including cocaine charges.

I was always surprised how conservatives largely ignored him but the current regime must have had enough of him.

He sent out a huge number of free copies. A very high quality book - so far as the high end binding, page weights, and picture gloss. It must have cost a fortune to have printed and distributed. The contents of course were crap.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 12:17 PM   #3
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Imagine how much it must have cost to procure all those fishing lures!
Old 13th July 2018, 02:17 AM   #4
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
I was given a couple of his books back in the 90's. Wonderful reading, if you want a good laugh.
He promises his arguments will be a 'slap in the face of atheists'.
I can only remember two of these.
1. "Fish are fat, monkeys are thin: therefore, Allah exists".
2. "Ships float on water: therefore, Allah exists".
More like a tweak of the nosehairs of reason and logic, really.
Old 13th July 2018, 05:07 AM   #5
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
I was given a couple of his books back in the 90's. Wonderful reading, if you want a good laugh.
He promises his arguments will be a 'slap in the face of atheists'.
I can only remember two of these.
1. "Fish are fat, monkeys are thin: therefore, Allah exists".
2. "Ships float on water: therefore, Allah exists".
More like a tweak of the nosehairs of reason and logic, really.
Slap in the face indeed!

I AGREE

(sorry, couldn't resist).
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 07:07 AM   #6
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post

I AGREE

There's only room for one cult of personality in Turkey.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 07:23 AM   #7
Buddha
Student

I am a Creationist. I have never heard about this particular colleague of mine, if you will. He might be mentally ill or a victim of an overly repressive religious regime. I have several secular Turkish friends who do not follow Islam; they use alcohol and do not pray 5 times a day (maybe, they are supposed to pray 4 times a day, I am not quite sure). They all complain that the Erogan regime is getting more and more repressive each passing year. The founder of modern Turkey was my kind of guy; he was not very religious, and he didn't burden the country with very restrictive religious rules. It appears that Erogan is going in the opposite direction. So, before you celebrate the "atheist victory" in Turkey think about Turkish atheists who find themselves in a pickle.

Last edited by Buddha; 14th July 2018 at 07:25 AM.
Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 12:37 PM   #8
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

All Creationists are mentally ill or a victim of an overly repressive religious regime.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 01:02 PM   #9
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
So, before you celebrate the "atheist victory" in Turkey think about Turkish atheists who find themselves in a pickle.
What "atheist victory"?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events